I'm most familiar with Bose-Einstein condensates, which is basically taking matter and chilling it to almost absolute zero. After a certain point it starts acting pretty weird. I don't actually remember that much about it, except that it was neat. happy.gif;

Oh yeah I have heard of those!

Matter is such a weird thing... XP I like how if you mess with it enough it's just like "lol i'm gonna defy all the laws of physics now".

Biggest mind-blower for me was the concept of quantum tunneling. o_______O Theoretically it is possible to walk through walls... lolwut.

My favorite kind of science is earth science. Geology in particular.

I use to love spending a whole day watching the history channel documentaries on earth science and earth history. Back before they began having reality series...

Physics is my least favorite. I'm not too keen on knowing dozens of formulas that I don't need in everyday life. Biology and chemistry aren't bad, but when it comes to advanced chem, I pretty much feel like I'm being left in the dark.

Anyone else a bit sad that Bill Nye isn't on tv anymore? sad.gif

Fun phases of matter eh? Supercritical fluids is on my list. Other than where I have to do the calculations for equation of state.

Not much of a physics person myself but some of the ideas are very mind-blowing and amazing.

My tenth-grade science teacher used to show us Bill Nye in class because he was better than the boring videos our library had. xd.png

I love to learn about space. You have to admit that space is fascinating. I'm not in collage yet though, so I don't really have much to show...the only thing that I don't like about science is that you HAVE to know math REALLY good. Me and math don't like each other but one of us is going to have to suck it up and be better or I'm not going to have much of a future. dry.gif

Edited by scarlet-firesong

Anyone interested in Foldit or Phylo? Basically they're games that help scientists unpuzzle things. Kinda neat that one can help just by playing a game.

Anyone interested in Foldit or Phylo? Basically they're games that help scientists unpuzzle things. Kinda neat that one can help just by playing a game.

Isn't foldit the one where gamers constructed some sort of AIDS model or something useful like that? I seem to remember hearing about it.

Yup, twas in the news recently. I've been thinking of trying them, seems like fun. You can have highscores and everything.

Links:

http://fold.it/ (apparently running slowly due to new visitors, no doubt because of the extra publicity lol)

http://phylo.cs.mcgill.ca/

Will try this some point.

Phylo, why you no let me log in?

Anyways, anyone want to make a DC group for Foldit? I haven't actually tried it yet, mostly sucked into the pretty-colors game that Phylo be, but I do at one point want to try it.

There's something similar to Foldit called Folding@home. Basically it consumes spare CPU cycles and uses that networked computing power to perform the same calculations that would be performed by humans playing Foldit. There are actually Folding@home teams for people who have powerful computers and do really extreme overclocking.

I'te heard of it and am interested, but am wary because I'm fairly certain my computer is haunted. I don't want it screwing stuff up, or vice versa.

I'te heard of it and am interested, but am wary because I'm fairly certain my computer is haunted. I don't want it screwing stuff up, or vice versa.

I don't blame you, considering it's basically a consensual botnet. I don't use it myself.

There's also EteRNA.

Ooh, fun. A bit overly-flashy, but decent. Going through the tutorial now.

I dun get the 2-2 loop D:

Edited by RheaZen