Natural sciences are my thing. When I was still very little - way before I started school - I asked my father countless questions about the stars in the night sky. When I was in first grade, he got me my first book on astronomy. (It wasn't a children's book, either.) I later found interest in biology (especially genetics, evolution and a bit of paleontology), chemistry (up to high-school level, but not above), physics (same), as well as some interdisciplinary branches: medicine, paleo-anthropology, a touch of geology (mostly planet development, plate tectonics and that stuff - but I'm not into minerals), some basic psychology, a bit of herbology (including healing properties), some linguistics... You get the idea. I guess I'm interested in way too many different fields to commit to just one and excel there.

@olympe same, but since I'm in 10th grade and near moving-up, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard plae on what course I will be taking up. Although I already chose culinary, I thought to myself "why stop there?". So now, I'm thinking of pursuing spiceology (if there is even such a word), mixology, and my main target: Molecular Gastronomy, which is kind of a b.... if you put it in a simple way. Those branches are somewhat related to natural science (chemistry). I also thought of going into zoology and botany considering my love for nature, but it's gonna take me a LOOOONG time before I memorize every species by family😂.

@Ether-Equinox The problem with biology is that it's a very bloodthirsty science. It's not just memorizing major taxa, it's also about knowing how they're built - inside and out. Preferably from first-hand experience, if possible. So, love for nature is pretty much the worst reason to study in that direction. (I speak from 4 semesters of experience in studying biology for the very same reason...) Better try chemistry or pharmacy, if you ask me.

Edited by olympe

I love science. I'm a very science based person. To the point where I would almost call science a faith, to me.

However, I'm so bad at math. I could never go into any science. Even environmental science has population density, and the physical sciences are murder.

I wanted to go into equine genetics. But I was told I couldn't because I'd be poor. I wanted to go into zoology - but I couldn't because I was poor at math, which made the calculus parts of the curriculum impossible.

I get the need for a well-rounded student of the sciences. But... It's restricting. All I've ever wanted was to go into science, but passion isn't enough. There's so many useless classes to slog through.

I found my love (or ambition to do well) in maths and natural sciences by doing long division during 3rd grade (age 9). Out of the natural sciences, chemistry is the dearest to me, although just plain maths  are also challenging and the learning gives so much to me (dopamine wazzup!).

I've got a bachelor's degree in pharmacy and I'm now doing my masters in chemical engineering. So my uni carrier has been loaded with chemistry. 

In my opinion maths are the most important aspect in sciences, as almost every different branch needs maths in some form or other. That's why the teaching of maths (and also other natural sciences) should be much more enjoyable/not seen as a scary subject. The problem with maths is that if you don't get one fundamental thing, you won't get the next things that build on top of the first "rule". And once a student has lost the "maths train" it is really hard to get back on.

But it's nice to read that so many of dragcavers are into sciences. ^^