Hey there guys, I have no clue what you're talking about at the moment, but I like science. So hi. biggrin.gif

This, lol.

Now, to find some sort of scientific link and commence discussion, yes. At the second reply above my own -ohgod-.

I've always liked science.

I've always been fascinated with astronomy. Since I was a little kid. :3

But I can say I am kind of attracted to chemistry as well. For now I don't know much of chemistry and physics so I can't say I like those subjects, I will find out when I start studying those deeply.

<3

As a kid, I loved Biology and Astronomy, but then I ended up in the Chemistry Lab and now I have a PhD in Chemistry. My work was slightly related to Nanotechnology and I became very interested in this somewhat new field. So last September I applied for a Post-Doc grant in Nanotechnology (results may come out this week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

As for Physics, I never liked it much untill I met (and married) a Physics Engineer who showed me what I was missing tongue.gif

Edited by Miss_Raven

I like biology. I'm currently in a chemistry class (only because my school requires a chemistry credit to graduate) and I don't strongly dislike it, but it's definitely not as interesting as biology was. I do like learning about the elements and their properties, and how we came to discover all these different tiny atoms, and I'm fascinated by the periodic table as a whole - but the subject of chemistry itself involves a lot of calculating and boring math. As soon as it gets to numbers, I lose interest.

So yeah, I really preferred biology (which I took last year) and next year I'll be taking AP biology. It's much more interesting, and I would consider doing something in the field of microbiology, but I'm really not sure of what I want to focus on - college-wise and career-wise. I know I will avoid physics like the plague. I'm glad I didn't have to take that last year, like most freshmen.

I think my favorite topics of science revolve around living things: biology and all its subcategories, evolutionary and environmental science, genetics, all that fun stuff.

Edited by glamoursea2

Kestra, that's my favourite DW episode! Woot! biggrin.gif

I love Science. <3

I'm off to study Molecular Biology next year! biggrin.gif

Chemistry was previously my favourite science, especially Organic, but one really bad teacher ruined that for me.

I am glad I ran a search, because I was just about to make a thread like this! *Resuspends the precipitated thread!*

I'm a PhD student in entomology. I teach undergraduate biology discussion and lab groups, and I do my own research on the genetics of tephritid (true fruit fly, not Drosophila, which are actually a fairly-closely related family colloquially called 'vinegar flies') chemoperception. I'm currently trying to clone odour receptor genes and not having a lot of luck. Cloning. Ugh. Well, that's science for you!

I'm also doing several side projects and have two publications to my name. This week we are trying to wrap up our lab's portion of another manuscript to submit for publication, as well.

I do want to point out that there are two meanings to the word "science". There is the actual act of doing science (building testable hypotheses, then testing them). There is also the body of knowledge which was built via the previous meaning. smile.gif Most people think of the later, so I wanted to point out that there are real people who are actually scientists, have a life outside of the lab/field, and are actively contributing to the body of scientific knowledge.

How do i become supersmart fast and it lasts forever right now?

I'm a vet tech student and we're learning all kinds of fun stuff like animal anatomy and small animal diseases(mostly dog and cat right now, others will be in Diseases 2), drugs and how they react with different parts of the body and which ones can't be used for which animals or even which breeds of an animal, parasites and how they hurt animals and parasite zoonosis and their life cycles. It's all so interesting! Even the math isn't too bad. Memorizing the formulas is the hardest part.

That's science related right? xd.png

I'm a vet tech student and we're learning all kinds of fun stuff like animal anatomy and small animal diseases(mostly dog and cat right now, others will be in Diseases 2), drugs and how they react with different parts of the body and which ones can't be used for which animals or even which breeds of an animal, parasites and how they hurt animals and parasite zoonosis and their life cycles. It's all so interesting! Even the math isn't too bad. Memorizing the formulas is the hardest part.

Absolutely! biggrin.gif All of that is part of the body that comprises science. ^.^ Medical science IS science. Though I have to say that pre-health students are mostly my worst students. Not all of them, mind you, but the ones I know aren't going to make it because they whine about doing their work, etc. drive me up the wall. Then they use the line "I need a good grade so I can get into medical/vet/pharmacy/nursing/whatever school!" To which I respond, "Then you better start actually working for it." Yes, I'm totally a jaded TA. xd.png Three years of dealing with whiners who never show up to office hours or pay attention, then are shocked when they don't do well will do that to a person.

Definitely science related!

I'm working as a receptionist at a vet hospital right now and they're cross training me for vet assistant, so I might at some point go to vet tech school smile.gif I'm learning about the same stuff too! We just had a presentation on some of the preventative meds for heartworm, fleas, etc. Very informative!

Absolutely! biggrin.gif All of that is part of the body that comprises science. ^.^ Medical science IS science. Though I have to say that pre-health students are mostly my worst students. Not all of them, mind you, but the ones I know aren't going to make it because they whine about doing their work, etc. drive me up the wall. Then they use the line "I need a good grade so I can get into medical/vet/pharmacy/nursing/whatever school!" To which I respond, "Then you better start actually working for it." Yes, I'm totally a jaded TA. xd.png Three years of dealing with whiners who never show up to office hours or pay attention, then are shocked when they don't do well will do that to a person.

Ah sorry you have to deal with crap like that. I'm actually having to retake a class right now because I failed the practical portion of the final (too big of a class and not enough dogs to do blood draws on) and the group behind us who are taking the class for the first time has a number of whiners in it who I don't think will make it through the program. I can understand complaining a little to let off some steam (like I'm doing now) but these people don't even take notes or ask questions during lectures.

Thankfully that one class wasn't a prerequisite for anything so I'm still part of my original class which does put the work in and asks questions and interacts with the teachers during lectures. I think that class has already lost its few whiners.

Definitely science related!

I'm working as a receptionist at a vet hospital right now and they're cross training me for vet assistant, so I might at some point go to vet tech school smile.gif I'm learning about the same stuff too! We just had a presentation on some of the preventative meds for heartworm, fleas, etc. Very informative!

Aren't parasites fascinating? The life cycle of heartworms is far more complex than I would have guessed before going in to this program!

We learned how to do fecals on Wednesday and several of us found hookworm and whipworm eggs in our samples! It was really cool for those of us who don't work in vet environment yet to get to see what these eggs look like. Though it also kinda sucks because it means one of our classmates has a puppy with hookworms and whipworms. And there were a /lot/ of hookworm eggs. And her other dog might also have them.

Edited by Dewdropmon

Aren't parasites fascinating? The life cycle of heartworms is far more complex than I would have guessed before going in to this program!

We learned how to do fecals on Wednesday and several of us found hookworm and whipworm eggs in our samples! It was really cool for those of us who don't work in vet environment yet to get to see what these eggs look like. Though it also kinda sucks because it means one of our classmates has a puppy with hookworms and whipworms. And there were a /lot/ of hookworm eggs. And her other dog might also have them.

Yes! I love being able to educate the clients on the heartworms and the testing that is involved for the preventative to make sure their babies are a-ok. Heartworms in cats is especially interesting because of that chemical they naturally release in response to the parasites, but on the flip side it's also a double edged sword and can be fatal for the poor kitties. I'm obsessed with making sure all my kitties have preventative now xd.png

Oh! That sounds interesting! I think Pyrantel or Drontal takes care of those parasites, don't they? I know Panacur is for giardia and albon is for coccidia... I think... ><

I get to work with tapeworms because i found a 4 week old kitten last week and he has tapes. We did a CBC bloodwork on him yesterday to check the white blood cell count as well as a snap test because my vet was worried he would have FIV or FELV, which we have to euthanize for positive kitties. Thankfully he's clear so far-- just a raging infection for some reason, and we're hoping it's only from the tapes and not some viral disease. He's on doxy right now so hopefully a full round will help with his infection.

I also got to be a first hand witness to my 4 month old kitten's neutering! Cat neuters are so simple and quick, I was so surprised. No suturing or skin glue needed! The doc put his testes in a little jar for a keepsake hahaha xd.png

Yes! I love being able to educate the clients on the heartworms and the testing that is involved for the preventative to make sure their babies are a-ok. Heartworms in cats is especially interesting because of that chemical they naturally release in response to the parasites, but on the flip side it's also a double edged sword and can be fatal for the poor kitties. I'm obsessed with making sure all my kitties have preventative now xd.png

Oh! That sounds interesting! I think Pyrantel or Drontal takes care of those parasites, don't they? I know Panacur is for giardia and albon is for coccidia... I think... ><

I get to work with tapeworms because i found a 4 week old kitten last week and he has tapes. We did a CBC bloodwork on him yesterday to check the white blood cell count as well as a snap test because my vet was worried he would have FIV or FELV, which we have to euthanize for positive kitties. Thankfully he's clear so far-- just a raging infection for some reason, and we're hoping it's only from the tapes and not some viral disease. He's on doxy right now so hopefully a full round will help with his infection.

I also got to be a first hand witness to my 4 month old kitten's neutering! Cat neuters are so simple and quick, I was so surprised. No suturing or skin glue needed! The doc put his testes in a little jar for a keepsake hahaha xd.png

Especially since the Immiticide they use in dogs can't be given to cats. Our teacher told us that Immiticide is arsenic based so it can kill dogs if you're not careful but she said it will kill cats.

Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) kills roundworms and hookworms, Panacur (fenbendazole) is used for whipworms and giardia, Drontal (praziquantel) is used for tapeworms and giardia, Albon for coccidia, and sometimes metronidazole is used off-label for giardia. *totally not cheating and looking at her notes, nope!*

I'm glad he doesn't have to be euthanized so far. My cat is FIV positive but you'd never know it from the way he acts. He just acts like a normal geriatric cat. xd.png

Cool! We watched a video of a dog neuter in class and it looks so easy! To bad vet techs aren't allowed to do surgery. I did get to witness dog and cat spays in person though.

Edited by Dewdropmon

Ah sorry you have to deal with crap like that. I'm actually having to retake a class right now because I failed the practical portion of the final (too big of a class and not enough dogs to do blood draws on) and the group behind us who are taking the class for the first time has a number of whiners in it who I don't think will make it through the program. I can understand complaining a little to let off some steam (like I'm doing now) but these people don't even take notes or ask questions during lectures.

Thankfully that one class wasn't a prerequisite for anything so I'm still part of my original class which does put the work in and asks questions and interacts with the teachers during lectures. I think that class has already lost its few whiners.

Exactly! Everyone lets off steam. I do it, too. It's one thing to do that, and another to whine about how hard an exam is when they don't even pay attention in class! It's a science course. It's not English 101. You can't just talk through the whole class and expect to not have to study or do anything.

Exactly! Everyone lets off steam. I do it, too. It's one thing to do that, and another to whine about how hard an exam is when they don't even pay attention in class! It's a science course. It's not English 101. You can't just talk through the whole class and expect to not have to study or do anything.

They don't talk at all in class. That's part of the problem. Interaction with the teacher is necessary.

They don't talk at all in class. That's part of the problem. Interaction with the teacher is necessary.

I mean talking to each other. I am in a large school, and the lecture for many of the classes have 200+ students. The interaction they get is with me, the TA. Granted, the ones who talk in lecture tend to also talk to each other instead of to me in lab and discussion sections.

Edited by harlequinraven

I mean talking to each other. I am in a large school, and the lecture for many of the classes have 200+ students. The interaction they get is with me, the TA. Granted, the ones who talk in lecture tend to also talk to each other instead of to me in lab and discussion sections.

Wow that's a lot..........a "big" class for us was 26. ^^; We're less than half that now.

But I think we've strayed away from the science part of the discussion. OTL

Finally done with my nursing school classes. Three month practical placement, one exam, and my final portfolio left, and then I start in A&E mid-August.

Today I learnt that there's an organisation dedicated to a project aiming to clear plastics and waste circulating the Great Pacific Garbage Patch called The Ocean Cleanup which seems to suggest that they could clean up the amount of plastics polluting the area by 50% in just 5 years!

i enjoy environmental science or Physics pretty cool how scientist find answers and do formulas