Feathers

What Game are you Playing?

Got a couple of cool deckbuilder games now, Krumit's Tale and Slay the Spire. I was not drawn into the genre at first but now I'm super interested.

I honestly have not played anything but Death Stranding since 8th of November. Nothing else! I just reached the end of Chapter 5. whoo, that chapter end, talk about horror and confusion XD I was pretty much mirroring Sam.

I am getting in a Metal Gear mood, when am I not, though!

and Final Fantasy VII, that could be partially because I just watched the new trailer for the remake …

Playing The Sims 4 on PS4.

Took me forever to figure out how to change appearance XD

Started a load of games, haven't finished any yet.

I suspect I'm close to the end of Shovel Knight: Spectre of Torment but I'm rusty.

I was playing Super Metroid, but I'm taking a break from it since I deviated from the guide and got lost. Plus, playing it on my switch just isn't the same.

Stardew Valley... I'm waiting for a rainy day so I can romance a character but it's been sunny for weeks...

Pokemon Sword, I've just been too lazy to move on with the story.

And Pokemon Crystal, I have to grind levels so I'm not destroyed in the next gym, but grinding is really, really boring...

I'm pretty sure there's more, but it hurts to list any more of them.

What game am I playing right now? Or had bothered to play through more than once? Or did do only once, but am forever under the influence? Let's say "all of the above" and don't worry, I won't be back here with another wall of list any time soon.

The following contain: soulful graphics, old-school graphics, good music, great storytelling, interesting game mechanics, strange logic and humour, things you can't do without a 30-year-old manual, things that you can't run without a 30-year-old computer (well, that, or DOSBOX or the likes)... but not necessarily all at once. Or in any order.

King's Quest VI. A beautiful quest, though I didn't do the mazes without a map. Perfect balance between "oldschool quest" and "new graphics/easy interface", as far as I'm concerned. As with all Sierra, be on your guard and save wisely.

The Whispered World. If you can find it, of course, I stumbled upon it in a shop by pure accident and was sold on the slug. For crashes, sloooow cutscenes, odd sound and such - find the patch, too! Lovely music and graphics, quirky story. Unlike KQ VI, failing a quest is not possible, nor is straying off the story path, yet the number of save slots is much greater, heh.

Undertale. Now I know why the public opinion on it is so divided - at the very least it's because the fandom is also very much differing. Some like this part, others wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot-pole - the creator might've catered for both of the groups, but the two camps should not meet in a narrow alley :D

As for me, I've gotten some appreciation for puns. Still hate 'em with a vengeance when they affect my understanding of a sentence, of course, and can't make them understood except by accident, nothing changed there. But it's like that passage in "The Little Prince", where totally useless things (like wheat to a fox) remind you of things no less useless, but fondly remembered. Not like that interminable piece of my video-gaming biography can be easily forgotten... which is a mark of a good game, I'd say. Even if I'm still mad at some of the things said (and not said!) to me by certain characters and will have to resort to fan-art comics to vent. Me, who's no artist. But I'll still do it, nevertheless, because I'm really wounded by some words put together in the right order. Whether it's a testament to my silliness or the writer's talent, I can't rightfully say.

Graphics are pretty good, don't dismiss the game just because it's all large squares. For one, if you've got an ounce of imagination and can read relatively fluently, the pictures will be placeholders and will not interfere with the mental image. And secondly, the artists are really good at pixel art - the range of facial expressions that can be achieved with a change of 5 dots or so is beyond my beliefs of what's possible.

It's a hard game to talk about without giving too much out, anyway. Don't get discouraged by hard parts. On my one and only run I ended up with a full discount to the best piece of armour available in shops. That's the number of restores for which the alotsmiley was made, I'm terrible at this sort of battle system and even said best armour didn't save my skin to the point of "making battles too easy", as the shopkeeper lamented would happen.

Neverhood. Also has a bit of an interminable slog, in the shape of the Chronicle wall. Can be done without, but is pretty interesting to read. My favourite part of it, though, is the fact that I can watch Klayman walk through those dozens of screens without wishing for it to end (well, much, at least). He's a pleasure to look at. If you don't mind complicated alien-logic puzzles, the wacky atmosphere and careful claymation will be fun. Else, the whole thing will be frustrating as anything, so don't bother.

Nox. Another game where I run around and enjoy the walk cycle. It was fun to see that the character runs faster barefoot than in boots (unless those are enchanted boots). Soooo true! Alas, because of some other games I've played since my first attempts at stopping the evil queen of Necromancers, I can't really have as much fun mindlessly smashing skeletons any more, not to mention the wildlife. A bit linear, but it's got 3 paths you can take (Wizard, Conjurer, Warrior) and it was interesting to see the differences between being a Warrior in a Warrior town (you're a novice and not much respected, but people are very friendly) and being a Wizard in the same town (prices skyrocket and tiptoeing under the  "Invisibility" spell is the thing you'll learn best). Barring cutscenes (a study in beginnings of 3D rigging and animation, took me a while to even understand what Hecubah is cursing about - turns out her candles are sputtering and going out), the art is great!

Populous: the beginning. Like Nox, it can be fun in multiplayer mode, I think. A civilization game where you have to micromanage your tribe to ensure sustainable wood production and run around as the tribe's only spellcaster to protect and invade. Pretty standard, but I like large fonts, atmospheric music and different planets. Unlike Nox, 3D cutscenes don't make me cringe.

Aladdin, Prince of Persia 1, Jungle Book - lumped together as "DOS platformers with lovely animation". Prince is not quite the same as the other two as far as mechanics go, needs far more precision and care in movement, but I'll put it here anyway. All three are a murder on the keyboard if a frustrated schoolkid is at it. Take care of your spacebars and Shift keys.

There was also a DOS game about a wizard who's gone down into his dungeon to search for treasure. The wizard is old, so no jumping (a bit like Rise Out and DigDug in that respect). The dungeon is dark, so the main thing is to keep your torch/candle on, else you're dinner. Or lunch. But I can't find the name of it, though had found multiple modern remakes that are using the same mechanics. Without the same sense of humour and easteregging, sadly, so I haven't played them much.

Trilby, the art of theft. A game about the theft of art, which is what you, the player, are doing. The ultimate stealth game - Trilby is a perfect pacifist. Never mind that it's 2D and made in an engine made for top-down adventures, it's a platformer without peer. If you do find its equal, tell me.

Like Prince, requires precision of movement and a perfectly functional keyboard. Now excuse me, I'm off to do the last (7th, I think) level for perfect score in pure white outfit. There are rumours... If you're more into scary games, Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw has done a few of those, too. They seem to be good, but I didn't investigate too closely. I'm not into scary games.

Star Control 2. Haven't played yet, but had seen enough to believe it's a good one. The source code of a perfect remake is available online, so no buying is required (besides a notebook to keep all the interminable notes in and a dozen of pens). It's a quest and a star-duel and a resource gathering evader and a bit of many things. The quests and story are what most people love it for, apparently.

Oh, if you still have Flash.

There are The Book of Life (I couldn't find it again, a crayon-y sort of adventure), Tanooky Tracks and The Sea of Glomp for quests;

Enchanted Cave 2 and Summit/Endeavour for a different sort of quests;

Cursed Treasure, Creeper World and Carolina uni's CellCraft for tower defense (I prefer top-view user-made levels of Creeper World, not the side views or the story mode, because then its just a strategy, not an attempt at being a hero and Saving The World);

Hat Wizard, and The company of Myself for platformers of good music, animation and unusual game mechanics; Fishy for a bit of the latter

Learn to Fly 1&2 for... well, flying penguins, but the music is great.

Btw, Fishy, CellCraft and Learn to Fly are good simulations of real-life things (in some respects, I know fish don't slide like that). A CC level shows how having enough fat is vital for fighting viruses (unless you're building stores, you'll be torn apart by the spiky kind and will neither be able to build lysosomes to stop them, nor repair your membrane); flying penguin's airplane can stall just like a real paper one...

On PC: League of legends, fortnite, sometimes minecraft, 0xUniverse(crypto game), ..

On Nintendo Switch: Binding of Isaac afterbirth + , Dragon quest builders, pokemon  shield(started few weeks ago and still didn't finish - no time for everything x)), ..

😆

Been playing a lot of Plants Vs Zombies battle for neighborville recently, gotta get me the zombie Wizard character lol 

Recently the game Deep Rock Galactic had a free weekend on steam. I played it a lot on that free weekend and will probably buy it sometime. I was utterly confused most of the time but playing with friends led to tons of fun, crazy moments.

Currently replaying Shadow of the Colossus. I forgot how much I missed petting Agro and killing giant monsters. (In that order) Thinking about replaying Journey for the millionth time, as well as The Last Guardian.

Been playing Two Point Hospital since I just found it on the Game Pass :p

I’ve been playing a lot of games cause of social distancing: Pokémon Heartgold for the nostalgia, The Witcher 3 cause it’s probably my favourite game ever, and Lord of the Rings Online since they made pretty much all subscription content free for the next month!

On 3/25/2020 at 5:43 PM, AmaNoGawa said:

Lord of the Rings Online since they made pretty much all subscription content free for the next month!

As in, they let you get past the Misty Mountains without paying anything? Now I'm really tempted to log in again, even though my laptop is a (still somewhat helpful) potato.

I got Animal Crossing New Horrizons today so I've been giving that a go along with more PvZ BFN on my Xbox xD

WoW: TBC. Aka the best expansion.

Literally haven't played this since 2008. The memories.

Spider-Man PS4.  The twists keep throwing me and the story just keeps getting more and more intense. I see why this game won awards, it's amazing.

Tera on the PS4.

I wish I knew what I was doing. I don't understand so many of the mechanics  XD