TJ09

05/22/10 - State of the Cave

New dragons? Wohoo, I can't wait to see how will they look like smile.gif

Neotropical set looks really cool too as well as the progeny tool, played with it to see how many alts have my blacks produced and the result was 0 :/ xd.png

About the 'difficulty to collect all breeds' issue, I really like the 'additional slot' idea, as well as additional freezes given per 14 days. I really need more freezes, as I've already collected almost all the adults I want for my scroll.

Also, two additional slots may be too much because this may result in empty AP, but maybe if Trophies could be put in use - 2 only per Bronze trophy players, 1 per Silver and none additional for Gold trophy owners, this would maybe help new players collect all the commons needed for their scroll faster. It may result in some confusion when it comes to trading of course and so on, so it's just a thought.

Whatever the solution is, I'm sure it will make things better, without taking away the challenge of collecting them. ^^

Edited by yieldy

What about reducing the number of CBs for older breeds, but not retiring them altogether? Make them about as common at the Cave Entrance as the Uncommons, so that the people who want them can still get them, but they aren't clogging up everything. Right now whenever I go to the cave entrance there's almost always a ton of older-type eggs sitting there for minutes at a time and 150 people or so refreshing constantly to get the eggs they actually want. If these CBs were actually wanted people would be snagging them right and left, but they aren't.

Also, I disagree with your contention that long lineaged dragons are worth less than short-lineaged dragons. I actually like long lineaged dragons, they're much more interesting to look at then short lineaged dragons (which I think are rather boring). I'm much more likely to dump an egg I picked up off the AP if it has a short lineage.

Making certain commons uncommon is a nice idea. It will give more flare and skill to the game.

I never said that long lineaged eggs are worthless. There are long lineaged eggs done with care and some that are just slopped together for the sake of getting an egg. And I never said those were worthless either.

I dislike golds and prefer silvers, stripes, and water horses. Does that make the golds worthless? No.

I meant worth less, not worthless. I.e., a long-lineaged pink is worth less than a cb pink. I never thought you meant worthless (without worth). Sorry for not being clear!

*shrug* personally I <i>like</i> messy lineages, neat lineages are boring in my opinion and therefore worth less to me wink.gif

I like the seperate caves thing, as that would make the game more interesting. Rotating types might also work, but the rotations would have to be by day, not by hour so people in different time zones can get eggs and also to prevent lagging. Bumping eggs to the AP might work, but I'm not sure about. Personally I would like to eliminate the hatchling lock, there have been plenty of times when I had only one or two eggs, but I had four or five hatchies and couldn't get more eggs without abandoning a hatchling or two. Maybe the five hour ban on abandoning cb eggs needs to be lessened to an hour, I'm much more cautious about clicking at the entrance because I don't want a spot to be filled with something I don't want for five hours.

Bringing forward a previous post which I hope explains my position.

I dont see how dropping equal numbers of everything would solve any problems. There will still be breeds that people do not want as much of, and they will simply not be taken as quickly and continue to clog the cave...

I dont see how dropping equal numbers of everything would solve any problems. There will still be breeds that people do not want as much of, and they will simply not be taken as quickly and continue to clog the cave...

To the same extent?

Edit: also, that was in the event of its being too complicated for Drop ratios to be matched with demand.

That would be preferable, obviously, but would require updating unless auto-programming for that was possible.

*knows nothing about coding, desite having been given a magical cereal-box decoding ring by a mysterious uncle*

(And having the ability to make multiple edits, having been elected Typo Queen several years running, not to mention a skill involving changing one part of a sentence without altering the rest to match...)

Edited by Syphoneira

Dealing with increasing numbers of breeds

As more and more releases occur, it's pretty obvious that the increasing variety of dragons makes it harder to collect them all. We're developing a number of solutions to this problem, and once we think we have the best possible options we'll present them to you and gather user feedback.

In regard to this, has anyone suggested "Hunting Seasons?" Break the breeds down into groups and make only those breeds available for a week, then switch to the next group? Or something along those lines....

Several people have suggested cycling in some form. If you read through some of the pages in this thread you'll be able to find ideas for it, and in the Suggestions forum I know there have been at least one or two topics on it.

One of the older ideas that came up was having "sections" of the cave...

For example, water-based dragons would be available in a water area, the shyer dragons would be hiding in the far recesses of the cave, the larger ones (and those that spend most of their time in the air) could be near the top of the mountain, etc.

Rares (and perhaps uncommons) would either have to be available in a variety of sections of the cave (e.g., maybe papers are everywhere but the water area, so they don't get wet), or some other mechanism to keep things balanced.

This was originally proposed as an alternative to the "multiple cave fronts" - one of the older ideas to fight the large number of users versus only showing three eggs in the cave at one time - but would work equally well for this purpose.

^People fear missing CB Metallics because they're in the wrong section. Also, might cause lag?

Yeah, I don't see how more sections would help much, especially with lag.

id just like em to make hellfires two heads and most of the uncommons and maybe some rares appear a bit more...

Reiterating what some of the more knowledgable have said - there will be no retiring.

^People fear missing CB Metallics because they're in the wrong section. Also, might cause lag?

Maybe rares should only be available at the cave entrance? That way we could have multiple caves with different types of Common and Uncommons at each place, but only place to get the rares would be at the entrance. The entrance would still have every type of dragon appear there, so it would be still challenging to get them, but it would make it easier to find rares.

Maybe rares should only be available at the cave entrance? That way we could have multiple caves with different types of Common and Uncommons at each place, but only place to get the rares would be at the entrance. The entrance would still have every type of dragon appear there, so it would be still challenging to get them, but it would make it easier to find rares.

Then a lot of people would still stalk only the cave entrance. For that off-chance, yanno?

Also, lag?

I'm thrilled about the new dragons, but it really surprises me that new ones are coming out so soon! I play 2 other games as well, and it takes forever for new breeds to come out there! Thanks to all the artists who work their butts off here! smile.gif And thanks TJ for keeping the game so interesting! I do like some of the interesting ideas people have come up with for the cave, too! smile.gif

Hopefully I won't accidentally scroll-lock myself right before the release. But I just got unlocked.

MUST HUNT NAOZ

And that is why I have the willpower of a turnip.

Oh and the progeny tool looks awesome.

Edited by Taliax

New Merchandise and Store Updates

Thanks to JaziandCo, the store is now carrying Neotropical-themed merchandise.

user posted image

In addition, the profit ratio has been adjusted from 15% site/5% artists to 10% site/10% artists.

Progeny Tool

There's an "open beta" of a progeny tool going on in this Site Discussion thread. It's being tested for your benefit, so please, try it, break it, criticize it, and help improve it.

Freeform Role Plays

A new "Freeform Role Play" section has been created as a result of moderator discussion. Polls showed that users strongly wanted such a section, so hopefully you enjoy it.

May Dragon Release

If everything goes well, expect a release containing 3 or 4 new breeds sometime in the next week.

Dealing with increasing numbers of breeds

As more and more releases occur, it's pretty obvious that the increasing variety of dragons makes it harder to collect them all. We're developing a number of solutions to this problem, and once we think we have the best possible options we'll present them to you and gather user feedback.

More dragons already? I haven't even got a mod mayhem dragon yet. xd.png

EDIT: now I has a MM egg, grabbed a CB sunsong barely after posting this.

Not complaining. I hope the release is next Monday, I don't have school that day. or during the weekend, Must stay unlocked...

Thanks TJ, for the update.

Edited by GoldenPhoenix

I'm glad on how you're working on making it easier to get all the dragons despite the new releases. I'm still trying to collect all the ones I haven't gotten yet, along with getting the new releases when they come out. @.@ I hope I can get them all (temporarily) and have a break.

Then a lot of people would still stalk only the cave entrance. For that off-chance, yanno?

Also, lag?

Yes. I could tolerate having a "3D" cave if metallics would only appear in one area. But if metallics only appeared in one area, that would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a 3D cave, since many people would only stalk there. CB metallics are about the only thing left that I need to complete my CB goals.

Ooh new dragons! I'd like to have more, but I haven't collected all of the current ones yet. I'll try to catch them if they come out.

It figures! I've seen some really good eggs in the cave lately, and it's so hard to stay away from trying to snag them! lol I have one Sunsong hatchling and a vamp egg that's about to hatch now, so hopefully I can keep my scroll unlocked until the new dragons come out! I don't suppose anyone has any idea at all about what the new breeds might be? smile.gif

I know a couple of the breeds that have gone missing from the completed list. ninja.gif One of my favorites is missing so I'm hoping..... *crosses fingers and toes*