Nashlina

Change the "do not accept aid" etc. messages

The word help is far and away the best for an international site.

This user does not want help. It is against the rules to help them without their permission.

BUT - that still doesn't help xd.png with people who don't know what helping IS.

The word help is far and away the best for an international site.

BUT - that still doesn't help xd.png with people who don't know what helping IS.

say," This user does not want help raising their dragons.It is against site rules to give help without permission."

I liked the idea of mentioning burnt scrolls, but that might make the warning too long, and can't be enforced anyway dry.gif

Edited by dragonpuck

You know, I notice there's nothing in the site's Help section regarding aid. Maybe having a more detailed message there would strike a balance. Put the short message on the scrolls:

"This user does not want help raising their dragons." (more info)

Where (more info) links to the relevant Help page?

"When a user does not want help raising their dragons, it is against the site rules to try and get them views by adding them to a signature, a fansite, etc. There are many reasons an egg or hatchling might intentionally have few views, and it is their owner's choice on how they are raised."

Or something in that vein, I'm sure there's a better way to put it.

This user is refusing all assistance. Do not link or post these dragons anywhere without permission.

short, simple, and hopefully clarified enough that anyone can figure out?

short, simple, and hopefully clarified enough that anyone can figure out?

But put HELP instead of ASSISTANCE. OK ? (shorter, and also easier for those whose first language etc etc etc.)

I think it would be clear enough to have every user's scroll say one of two things at the bottom.

If they are NOT accepting aid, have it say:

"Adding this user's dragons to websites without permission is against site rules and could result in your own scroll being burned."

If they ARE accepting aid, have it say:

"This user has given general permission to have their dragons added to websites by others."

Make BOTH phrases clickable links that go to a help section explaining what it all means.

And for what it's worth, when I first joined DC I had no idea about fansites, and my first several eggs died. It would be great if there could be a very brief tutorial for new people joining, that explains some very, very basic concepts. ("Your eggs can't hatch for the first 3 days. You can visit the forum to see how to help them hatch... look for "fansites". You can't post other people's eggs unless their scroll says they're acceping aid. You can change your settingsl to give other people permission to help you hatch your eggs.")

I know all that info is in the Help section, but I also know plenty of people who never open an instruction manual if they can help it... and plenty of games that have a required intro tutorial. Assuming that EVERYBODY is following the one-scroll rule etc, nobody will have to go through it more than once.

Edited by jerusha

I would not be happy with my scroll saying all that about general permission. Accepting help is one thing.... but "general permission" suggests you don't even have to think about it and check views, just add willy nilly. blink.gif

"Adding this user's dragons to websites without permission is against site rules and could result in your own scroll being burned." is OK - though the burned bit may not be as it is indeed unenforceable.

But "This user accepts help from others." is quite enough otherwise. If someone doesn't know what it means - that's FINE, as others will know, so you'd still get the help when needed, I bet.

Alternately, wouldn't it be cool if people could write and post their own message? Have the couple "standard" message options there by default, but give people the option to type their own version. It would have to get approved, similar to dragon descriptions, and once approved it would be available as an option.

I'd say just have options. Even if they get approved they might not be the most understandable message, but any that are chosen as options would have clarity as one of the criteria.

Plus a decent percentage of the people making custom messages would be tempted to use language that is a little too....forceful. Especially those who had been viewbombed or had unwanted help in the past.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

The message needs to be loud, clear and unambiguous.

I have just had to hide my scroll as someone is posting my eggs for me. I neither need nor want any help and I'm extremely angry that I need to do this to stop someone interfering with my scroll.

Edited by dragonsoup

As you can tell from my very loud sig, I'm having the same problem...

May I borrow that please!

My own version would be far less polite and probably get me banned!

[SIZE=7][color=red][b]DO NOT ADD OR REMOVE MY EGGS FROM WEBSITES!  IT IS BECAUSE OF [i]THE PEOPLE WHO ARE [color=black]BREAKING THE RULES[/color][/i] THAT MY SCROLL IS HIDDEN!![/b][/size][/color]

Copy-paste and/or change it up.

I started out with a sig about getting someone to stop removing my scroll from the fansite I use and suddenly I was getting viewbombed, so I think angry sigs might end up doing the opposite, causing people to think it is fun to piss off the person even more by bombing them...

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Thank you!!!!

I know you are right but having carefully manipulated the timing on an egg so I can have another go at a neglected when I can be online it is beyond annoying to find it at 3 days and 23 hours with over 1000 views and rising fast <sigh>.

Can't even blame it on the breeder looking out for "their" egg - I've had my own home bred eggs targeted too.

Yeah, someone's doing the same thing to me. I came back to my computer about 30 minutes ago to find that all of my eggs had been put in some fansite, three of which were ER and one of which I really, really didn't want help with.

I've now fogged all the eggs I'm worried about. Thanks, anonymous irritater!

I would like to suggest that the not accepting aid message be changed from

"(Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission.)"

to

"(Please note that it is against the site rules to post a user's growing creatures on another site without their permission.)"

I've always found the current message to have confusion-potential for new players, as they might get the impression that they can't even LOOK at someone else's dragons without getting in trouble, which is certainly not the case. I think the second message would make it much clearer what you're not allowed to do. I don't think there'd be any concern about it not being "roleplay" worded enough, seeing as the current sentence already makes use of the word site.

I've also heard users mention that "aid" is much too vague.... what exactly is this "aid" that we aren't supposed to do? I can easily imagine newer users breaking the no-aid rule simply because they don't know what it *means*. So yes, specifying *what* is not being allowed would be a very welcome change.

I like,

"This user is not accepting aid. Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission."

Or combining it with AngelicDragonPuppy's suggestion;

"This user is not accepting aid. Please note that it is against the site rules to post a user's [eggs or hatchlings] on another site without their permission."

As it stands now, it is definitely, definitely too vague. I honestly thought it was a general warning until I finally saw a user who was accepting aid and had something to compare it to. Nothing about it specifically says the user isn't accepting aid.