bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

This time I was able to get to the home page and click a few dragons, but as soon as I clicked on the daycare part, it stopped working, even on other pages. I haven't been able to do anything on the site for a long time. This is what it says:

This page isn’t working

www.allureofnds.net didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

It's working for me! Finally! I was able to put my dragons in and I'm working on viewing some dragons.

There seems to be a problem with updating. In Help topics the other day, people were talking about how several fan sites couldn't access DC at all, but I noticed that something else was going on with the sites that could, including AoND. We're getting a lot of sickness, especially in ER'd eggs. It's like, when they hatch, they keep accumulating views so rapidly that the hatchies get sick and die, even though they hadn't even a few days ago. When I went to AoND tonight to ER an egg, I noticed almost a dozen tombstones among the ER eggs, and all of them were hatchies that died of sickness. It looks like something in the site needs adjusting, or using the ER is going to be pretty dangerous for people. (And it looks like it might have to do with a change of some kind in the API, not sure though. The help thread now has "answered" after it, but that only seems to be about the sites that could no longer communicate with DC at all.)

There seems to be a problem with updating. In Help topics the other day, people were talking about how several fan sites couldn't access DC at all, but I noticed that something else was going on with the sites that could, including AoND. We're getting a lot of sickness, especially in ER'd eggs. It's like, when they hatch, they keep accumulating views so rapidly that the hatchies get sick and die, even though they hadn't even a few days ago. When I went to AoND tonight to ER an egg, I noticed almost a dozen tombstones among the ER eggs, and all of them were hatchies that died of sickness. It looks like something in the site needs adjusting, or using the ER is going to be pretty dangerous for people. (And it looks like it might have to do with a change of some kind in the API, not sure though. The help thread now has "answered" after it, but that only seems to be about the sites that could no longer communicate with DC at all.)

Huh. It seems to only be impacting some dragons. I had one ER that hatched and was removed automatically as per usual and is now healthy. Plus, the ER isn't overwhelmed with dragons like it was earlier. None of the tombstones or the hatchlings with less than 7 days left I've clicked so far had usernames listed, so I wonder if it's possible this has to do with users hiding their scrolls after adding dragons or something? Or maybe it's just random. o_O

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I kind of have a feeling someone was playing a nasty trick last night.

I picked up an egg with 24 hours left in the AP - unusual, but whatever. It was a sapphire and my friend collects sapphires so I thought it was great.

Anyway, I picked up the egg. Added it to AOND and Valley Sherwood (only ER'd it in AOND since VS takes an extra step) and the views exploded.

I feel like someone might have been releasing low time eggs/hatchies that were already put into a ton of hatcheries to try to viewbomb?

Luckily my scroll can't be linked from any individual dragon's page or I worry what would have happened to my dragons sad.gif

This is all just speculation but it's just too much of a coincidence.

I kind of have a feeling someone was playing a nasty trick last night.

I picked up an egg with 24 hours left in the AP - unusual, but whatever. It was a sapphire and my friend collects sapphires so I thought it was great.

Anyway, I picked up the egg. Added it to AOND and Valley Sherwood (only ER'd it in AOND since VS takes an extra step) and the views exploded.

I feel like someone might have been releasing low time eggs/hatchies that were already put into a ton of hatcheries to try to viewbomb?

Luckily my scroll can't be linked from any individual dragon's page or I worry what would have happened to my dragons  sad.gif

This is all just speculation but it's just too much of a coincidence.

I don't think that's what's happening (there are only so many low-time dragons someone can hold onto). My (self-bred, or cave caught) eggs and hatchlings are getting (slightly) sick with astonishing regularity the past handful of days though I haven't changed anything about how I rear them. I don't actually think this relates to this fansite (though I do use it), this is just one of the most popular ones so you'd see changes manifest most strongly here.

I think:

1) something that was previously causing views and unique views to be under-reported got changed

-or-

2) we're seeing another botnet being used to give views (I have dim recollections there was one once, which caused TJ to change view handling so it only accepts a certain number of views from a single IP in a specific timeframe, which caused quite a dip in fansite views)

-or-

3) Dragon Cave got a bit more popular all of a sudden

I'm personally leaning toward believing #1. Maybe a previously banned IP range is no longer banned.

(That said, I might be totally wrong.)

[ Edit: Cleared up some confusing wording. ]

Edited by pinkgothic

There seems to be something odd with most hatcheries at the moment - I suspect it's a part of that. And it seems to be affecting them unevenly too. We need to watch more carefully than usual, until we can figure out how best to add to them.

For instance (not naming hatcheries as it varies) I've recently had two that were in 5 sites and not getting enough views; I REALLY had trouble hatching them - as well as one which ratcheted up views like you wouldn't believe - AND didn't get sick.

I just noticed it today too, while adding a hatchling that didn't quite have enough views to grow up (I had fogged it earlier). I've never seen that many tombstones in an ER before! And they all seem to be dead from sickness. Just what's going on here?

I don't think that's what's happening (there are only so many low-time dragons someone can hold onto). My (self-bred, or cave caught) eggs and hatchlings are getting (slightly) sick with astonishing regularity the past handful of days though I haven't changed anything about how I rear them. I don't actually think this relates to this fansite (though I do use it), this is just one of the most popular ones so you'd see changes manifest most strongly here.

I think:

1) something that was previously causing views and unique views to be under-reported got changed

-or-

2) we're seeing another botnet being used to give views (I have dim recollections there was one once, which caused TJ to change view handling so it only accepts a certain number of views from a single IP in a specific timeframe, which caused quite a dip in fansite views)

-or-

3) Dragon Cave got a bit more popular all of a sudden

I'm personally leaning toward believing #1. Maybe a previously banned IP range is no longer banned.

(That said, I might be totally wrong.)

[ Edit: Cleared up some confusing wording. ]

Hm, this is interesting (and I'm 100% certain you've got a better grasp on this than me, so you're likely at least close to correct).

Here's what leaves me confused, though:

1) Why is this impacting random dragons? As I mentioned, I've had several eggs in this ER in particular now and they hatched just fine and were automatically removed as normal. Now, it's possible that whomever were on these hypothetical-newly-unbanned IPs are only viewing a certain site that I'm not using but some others are. But, that doesn't explain...

2) Why are some hatchies not automatically being removed from ERs? I know the process isn't quick as a whip, but I thought it did a pretty good job checking and updating fairly spot on, ie non-ER hatchies are removed from the ER within an hour or less of hatching. But I have seen several hatchlings still in the egg ER that are at 6 days 19 hours left, meaning they've had to have been in the ER for five hours - no wonder they're racking up enough views to die.

So I couldn't speak to what it is (I did speculate earlier), but there does still seem to be some mistake in communication happening somewhere? I haven't been stalking any fansites close enough to tell, but it seems likely to me that, if there are hatchies in the ER that have been there five hours or so, that a lot of those tombstones are from hatchies that weren't properly removed from the ER for whatever reason.

Actually, maybe I should test my speculative theory next ER I have. At the very least, it could rule it out. =p

EDIT: Yup, just proved I have no idea what I'm talking about. biggrin.gif

While I can only guess what was causing the eggs and hatchies to stay in the incubator much to long, it appears to be fixed at this point. Around an hour or so ago the ER was cleared of any and all things in the wrong position and of tombstones. If any of you notice this happening again, I would recommended getting your dragons out of the ER while you still can, fogging them if you can't, and removing any dragons that you have permission to remove and relocate to a different site. I would also recommended posting on this forum when you notice any strange lack of removal (For long periods of time of course).

Also this dragon needs an "I survived" badge for being stuck in the ER for 11 hours, getting 15,000 views and not even getting sick.

~Removed for the protection of the owner~ <-- Don't spam it... I don't wanna kill it, it's not mine.

Site down for anyone else?

Edit: Disregard. Looks like it's back.

Edited by 11th

Most of the hatcheries seem to be acting funky lately. A few of my eggs barely got any views in the time I had them in there, they were hard just to hatch. Two of my egg's views skyrocketed though, and got sick.

Edited by DoodleNoodle14

Can you please add an "add all" button for once we've already submitted our scrolls? I know there's a checkbox option to do so beforehand but I'd much prefer the option to do so after I'm able to see all my dragons displayed and double check their time remaining and such.

There must had happened some changes somewhere, never before I had sick eggs after putting them into AoND with 6 days of time. (or less)

Heads up: If you have an egg or hatchling in the emergency section of the hatchery (4d and less), fog it or at least keep an eye on it. It looks like something might be going on with the API, and the auto update isn't working, so eventually the dragons in the ER could get sick and die if left unprotected.

This also means that scrolls cannot be added.

Edit to add the error message:

Something unknown and unexpected went wrong. Please report this error and explain what you were trying to do before seeing it, so it can be fixed as soon as possible!

Edited by 11th

3 hours ago, 11th said:

Heads up: If you have an egg or hatchling in the emergency section of the hatchery (4d and less), fog it or at least keep an eye on it. It looks like something might be going on with the API, and the auto update isn't working, so eventually the dragons in the ER could get sick and die if left unprotected.

Thank you for the heads up, I was wondering if I was the only one having a bug.

4 hours ago, 11th said:

Thank you! This is one of my favorite sites to use, hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

I just came here to report the error, but I see others have been having the same problem. *wipes brow*

I've been experiencing the same problem as everyone else. Hope it gets fixed soon!