bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

It works fine for me now; I can add/remove my dragons and use the Viewer (and remove dragons via the Viewer).

Annoying thing is that when you click on the star to remove a dragon, it opens a new tab. I'd rather it didn't. :I

I am so glad its not just me. I thought for a minute that it was just my scroll it was rejecting

Me too.

I had to find another ER hatchery to hatch my last 3rd day egg ; w ;

I noticed the problem lastnight after the Day 6 release hit. I also took note that at the time there were over 50K hatchies/eggs in the database.

I figured it was just lagging from the newest release and would smooth back out in a few hours. Since that has not been the case I have sent in a support ticket to the server provider to find out what is going on and to get a suggested fix for the problem.

It is not a AoND only problem as I poked around on the old dead forum still attached to the site and after a couple of pages it too would give the same message. This makes me think it is a hosting issue. I will let you guys know something when I do.

Count me in as someone else that can't add anything. I can get as far as the 'add scroll' page, but the moment I hit 'enter' it gives me a 404 or Service not available.

It is still behaving badly, same issues as I posted last night, although it looked like the ER is down to 12 and the total is 46,415 youngsters.

I don't know whether it would help or create more issues if the host server knew that thousands of people depend on the site. I hope it is an easy fix!

I am really missing the site right now! <3

Just like to add that I can't remove anything from the viewer using the little 'X' thing. If this is a capacity thing, I can't even help relieve it by removing adults....

It's not the number of dragons which causes the capacity problem, but the number of users online.

Which is odd, since there are only ~80 users are currently using the page (which is already peak), but there are also the forum signatures which put additional load on the server. Last but not least, the server is using Apache, that works quite fine while the load is reasonable, but performance degrades when pushed to the limits. Nginx or lighthttpd could take the load much better.

If a user uses the (inefficient) lineage viewer or inbreed checker, things will go completely upside down.

Thanks Agrona for checking into it. I am really missing this site! I use it for so much more than just getting views for my dragons!

I noticed the problem lastnight after the Day 6 release hit. I also took note that at the time there were over 50K hatchies/eggs in the database.

I figured it was just lagging from the newest release and would smooth back out in a few hours. Since that has not been the case I have sent in a support ticket to the server provider to find out what is going on and to get a suggested fix for the problem.

It is not a AoND only problem as I poked around on the old dead forum still attached to the site and after a couple of pages it too would give the same message. This makes me think it is a hosting issue. I will let you guys know something when I do.

Quoting Agrona for those who might have missed the update on the problem

It's an issue with the server capacities, trust me, I know that error message.

You have to many users online and some of your scripts need to much time. Since you are using Apache, EVERY script running at the same time requires its own apache thread, so if 80 scripts are executed in parallel (and they are, since they take so long, btw.: downloads, like the forum sigs count too), 80 apache threads are all blocked.

Be default, only about 100-120 apache threads are allowed, once they are all used up, users will start seeing 503 errors. You could increase the maximum size of the thread pool, but that won't really solve your problem.

If you want that problem resolved, you will need to find the scripts which are causing the trouble and rewrite them so they become less time consuming. I will give you a hint: You are performing way too many API requests and you probably set the timeout limit for these way too high. So even the slightest Dragcave lag will throw you off once you have too many active users.

Edited by Ext3h

same here, I have this problem since last night, shortly before the new release (DC time), can open the page, but as soon as I enter my scroll's name I loose the connection (already cleared cache).

Ditto. I hope the problem gets fixed soon. I like this site a lot.

Wish I knew more server-side script stuff, now if it were a database issue I could possibly help out there ... If you think extra eyes would help (as opposed to hinder or annoy) let me know.

It claims 54 users online right now, but I'm not sure how that translates into "attempts to establish connections". It isn't happy and isn't letting me clean up the adults and hatched-eggs from the ER now, giving errors trying to retrieve that info.

Between the holiday weekend and the cumulative new release impacts it's under a pretty brutal load. I mean, there's not just *a* new release going on. There's the simultaneous impact a couple of days of new releases now ERing as hatchies growing up, another day of new releases eligible to ER as eggs to hatch plus a couple more days of new releases just going into the site. Combine all of that madness with the AP being at record incubate-and-ER levels - which increases ER loading - and it being a holiday weekend with school out ... That's a huge whammy for all sites involved.

Hang in there and good luck.

Don't think I remember this sort of problem arising, at least for this long before, hope it gets worked out soon.

Good luck, guys!

The site hasn't worked for me since sometime yesterday as well.

It seems like some of the code needs to be rewritten. EATW did not go down even with thousands of eggs, and I am able to access other fansites, too ...

Some good suggestions have been given here for how to solve the Apache coding issues, so hopefully the site owner can solve the issue, and maybe also add advertisements to the site at the same time.

If it is an issue with the site being down, then why is the Clock page up and running?

http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Clock.php

I even saw some dragons loading, but when I tried to view my scroll, I got an error.

I've had some troubles with this site. I'm able to explore the site somewhat, but when I try entering my Scroll name in the ND Daycare, it gives me some kind of server error. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'd like to have this fixed soon.

I hope the problem gets fixed soon. I miss my favorite site.

I hope this service error gets resolved soon. Didn't everyone just come together and donate to cover the server costs for the next two years too!?!

This is the message that I've been getting:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at www.coup-detat.info Port 80

Don't know what the problem is, but I hope it gets fixed soon. sad.gif

It's not the number of dragons which causes the capacity problem, but the number of users online.

Which is odd, since there are only ~80 users are currently using the page (which is already peak), but there are also the forum signatures which put additional load on the server. Last but not least, the server is using Apache, that works quite fine while the load is reasonable, but performance degrades when pushed to the limits. Nginx or lighthttpd could take the load much better.

If a user uses the (inefficient) lineage viewer or inbreed checker, things will go completely upside down.

Why do the DC forum signatures affect the loading of Eggs or Scrolls into the ND Daycare or ER page? Would turning off the Lineage Checker and other Extra Goodies help at all?

Just trying to understand,

Banty

I keep getting an error when i try to add my scroll....only seems to be happening on AoND.

Why do the DC forum signatures affect the loading of Eggs or Scrolls into the ND Daycare or ER page? Would turning off the Lineage Checker and other Extra Goodies help at all?

Because they are all served by the same server and generating them costs a lot of time, compared to any regular page. It has only limited resources, so increased activity on the forums will also increase load on the server. Turning of the extra goodies would help if they were the sole reason, but they are probably not.

EATW has overcome the same problem by putting a server side cache in front of the API which also reduces page load times by a significant amount. AoND has yet to take that step.

Edited by Ext3h