bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

I've been trying to put my eggs and it isn't working. sad.gif I can´t remove the adults from the site either! Does anybody know what's going on?

Many of the fan sites and many users are having problems. There are some posts/threads in Help about the problem.

Just a little update for everyone:

I'm almost done with finals! Two more on Monday, then I have a bit of a break.

I also finally got a new computer! Still waiting for pieces to arrive, but hopefully that'll be up and running soon, too.

So, hopefully, I'll have some time to work on the site again. The big plans are to sort out what bugs I've found/had reported and fix them up, then get back to work on the breed tracker and an inbreeding checker. I'm not sure which part I'll do first, but they'll both be coming. After that, I also have several other ideas, but I think these are currently the most important. I'll announce once there's anything to see, like usual. smile.gif

Er... Seems I'm double-posting. That wasn't planned.

Minor updates!

* There was a bug that caused entirely numeric scroll names to not work properly. That should be fixed now. Nothing else should have been affected, but let me know if anything starts acting odd.

* The freeze tracker now properly reports when it's been updated, like it used to. I'm not sure how that disappeared, when it remained for all the other trackers, but it's back now!

* Finally had a chance to remove the few remaining downtime-lost dragons. There should not be any more random non-dragon stars in the Daycare.

The other promised new features are coming, but there is still no ETA. I'll post something as soon as there's anything worth sharing. smile.gif

Had the Viewer running for the second time today (worked fine then) and just checked on it to see (I think it was) 403 error, temporarily unavailable.

Checked here for any reported similar issues, then went back and tried again and got this http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Viewer?pop=up ...

Eeeep! ???

The add-in part worked fine...

Edit: yup, went back and checked again, and it's just the 'Give Views' link, so at least Views can still be given elsewhere, though maybe it's just my puter boggling at having had enough for the day on the larger page...

Edited by Syphoneira

The "give views" link does the same thing for me (however, as Syphoneira stated, the other ways to give views such as the "pop up viewer" etc work fine).

Edited by rubyshoes

Had the Viewer running for the second time today (worked fine then) and just checked on it to see (I think it was) 403 error, temporarily unavailable.

Yeah, the server seems to be acting up these past couple days. I wish there were something I could do to help with that, but unfortunately there isn't, short of changing hosts -- and without a job or any source of income, paying for my own web hosting somewhere else is unfortunately not an option. sad.gif

Checked here for any reported similar issues, then went back and tried again and got this http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Viewer?pop=up ... it's just the 'Give Views' link...

You were sent to that URL by clicking a link on-site? The problem is that you're missing the .php part of the URL, and it's sending you to a JavaScript file instead (why it defaults to that, I don't know... I'll see if I can find a way to change it for the future, but that could take a while). With the .php, it works like it's supposed to, for me -- and I'm sent to the .php version from both the homepage, and the "give views" link.

I'm more than a little perplexed by how either of you got the no-.php link from "give views", since it's hard-coded into the URL there... and I haven't touched that code in ages, either. blink.gif It could explain another rather odd bug someone reported last week, though, if that's what was happening (or rather, being prevented from happening, and in opposite locations, at that) to them, too... Though I still have no idea why/how it's happening. What browsers and OSes are either of you using? Perhaps it's some quirk of a recent [edit to clarify: browser or OS or other computer/program] update [since there haven't been any recent updates to anything here...]? *guesses randomly*

Edited by bbik

Took a peek and the .php is missing in the block of text before the frame on http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/

Ah, you're right, it was. I forgot I even had that link there, and thought we were talking about the "give views" link in the daycare after updating dragons, so didn't check it last night. It's fixed now. Thanks, PurpleLilyheart.

Ah, you're right, it was.  I forgot I even had that link there, and thought we were talking about the "give views" link in the daycare after updating dragons, so didn't check it last night.  It's fixed now.  Thanks, PurpleLilyheart.

No problem biggrin.gif

I've a nack for finding problems xd.png Coding a site from the beginning, not so much, so I try to help where I can! And I love your site to bits, so anything I can do to help tongue.gif

This might be a stupid question but will there be a tracking system for teleport and fertility?

as my dragons are spread on my scroll it's easy to find them back that way.

Whoops, the problem with the new 5-letter codes seems to be in effect here as well?

Oh, dear...

The 5c code can't be keyed into the lineage viewer at the moment.

The 5c code can't be keyed into the lineage viewer at the moment.

It shows up ok when you enter your scroll name.

Other dragons show up instead of the new eggs when you add it.

Hope it gets sorted and the eggs get views.

Ugh. Nothing like a bit of advanced notice about a very significant change, far more so than increased limits... And here I was all set to upload a whole slew of updates of my own, to go along with DC's changes! Now I'll have to go back and fix most of them, joy of joys...

So much for staying up late to get things done. I'm going to bed. I'll deal with it tomorrow. Sorry guys. mad.gif

*HUGS*

Take your time, bbik.

Fortunately the largest impact (and main surprise) issue, the 5-letter-codes, mainly affects brand new eggs, so there's time before it's an issue. smile.gif

Thanks for all the work you do.

Man, the codes really threw the hatcheries for a loop. Sorry about the extra trouble it causes you sad.gif Hope fixing things goes smoothly for you. *leaves cookies*

Meanwhile, I'll sit patiently. And yes, thank you so much for all your hard work, bbik! I will say, seeing adults I don't own show up with the shortened codes did make me giggle...

I will now proceed to pretend last night didn't happen. I hereby declare it to be just about 2am, DC just came back up, and I finished everything on time as originally planned! Much better this way.

To match the new limits, we also need new signature banners, right?

So...

Surprise! Another update!

Scroll Banners:

• Multiple styles and sizes to choose from
  • Choose your own colors, or use a premade color scheme
  • Use one of your own previously-saved color schemes if you go through the Extras page
  • Auto-updates your scroll statistics once an hour
Enjoy!

Other Changes:

• Added support for 5-character codes.
  • Action Trackers now support Fertility and Teleport.
  • More dragons are shown by default, to account for the new limits. This number will increase slowly based on how many dragons are in the Daycare, until a satisfactory average is determined.
  • Bugfix: JavaScript should work in IE again. Stubborn sneaky little bug, *mutter scowl*

As always, let me know if you find any bugs. This update hasn't been as thoroughly tested as previous ones; I'm hoping it'll still be ok, but I was well past tired by the time I declared it ready not ready and then didn't sleep much anyhow, so who knows.

I also have a question:

If someone doesn't use their banner for a while, doesn't load the image, doesn't have it posted anywhere in a signature, as an avatar, or anything else, after how long should the banner be considered abandoned? Once it's abandoned, any color schemes they had will also be deleted, but if they don't care about the banner, they shouldn't miss the colors, either. I'm not sure how long the schemes should last, though. One week? Two weeks? A month? Several months? Some other timeframe?

Thanks everyone for the patience and support. I did a quick-fix for the daycare earlier today, though I didn't post about it, but this should be a full site-wide fix. If there's anything that still doesn't work, please let me know -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed something.

Oh yay!!!! And I had just looked a few hours ago at the Fan Site summary looking for a new banner and being disappointed! This is awesome!

I have some thoughts about your question, but I can't type them all out just yet (stupid wrist).

Thanks so much for all your work!

ETA: Would it be possible to get a preview button of what a signature would look like without saving? I must have 'redone' the banners a zillon times. ><

Edited by PurpleLilyheart

I have some thoughts about your question, but I can't type them all out just yet (stupid wrist).

Whenever you can is fine. If I don't get any opinions (unlikely, especially since I have no deadline), I'll just pick a time; I just wanted to give those of you who actually use these banners a chance to give some input.

Would it be possible to get a preview button of what a signature would look like without saving?  I must have 'redone' the banners a zillon times. ><

Not with the languages I currently know. I might be able to hack something up with JavaScript, but I'm really not feeling inclined to try, certainly not in the near future. It's the call to DC for your scroll stats that takes the longest, anyhow, so saving or not isn't the bottleneck.

Stupid BBCode...

Edited by bbik

Not with the languages I currently know.  I might be able to hack something up with JavaScript, but I'm really not feeling inclined to try, certainly not in the near future.  It's the call to DC for your scroll stats that takes the longest, anyhow, so saving or not isn't the bottleneck.

Stupid BBCode...

Sorry xd.png I'm not very clear. I can't find my wrist brace!

Even if it was with sample data, some visual indicator of color combinations to verify that it looks the way the user wants. A mock-up that uses a mock person's data?

ETA: I'm sure you have tons of things to do. I can probably actually do most of this and "mock" the image as not really an image but just do it as a table + css. If you give me a few days, I think I can tackle this which you work on more important things tongue.gif

Edited by PurpleLilyheart

Love the scroll banner maker, bbik! Such an awesome surprise to discover when I went to the Action Tracker.

I really like that we can customize it. I've never used other banners 'cause I never really liked the color schemes. *plays around with it* alot.png of choices! biggrin.gif

And thanks for all the updates and all your hard work!

Edited by spellcoat

Thank you so much for the scroll banner maker! I am liking your site more and more all the time.

And I'm reminded once again why I love this site so much. You really went above and beyond with the banners. And the button one looks quite nice alongside TJ's internetometer button. Was that on purpose?

If someone doesn't use their banner for a while, doesn't load the image, doesn't have it posted anywhere in a signature, as an avatar, or anything else, after how long should the banner be considered abandoned?  Once it's abandoned, any color schemes they had will also be deleted, but if they don't care about the banner, they shouldn't miss the colors, either.  I'm not sure how long the schemes should last, though.  One week?  Two weeks?  A month?  Several months?  Some other timeframe?

My initial instinct says a month. But thinking about it... Doesn't DC have something where a scroll with no dragons is auto-burned after 2 months of inactivity? Although I really think a month is plenty of time, you could mimic that.

And the button one looks quite nice alongside TJ's internetometer button. Was that on purpose?

It was not. I'd forgotten they even existed until you just reminded me. Most avatars/profile pictures/whatever other names are somewhere around a 100x100 pixel limit; that's the only target I was aiming for.

My initial instinct says a month. But thinking about it... Doesn't DC have something where a scroll with no dragons is auto-burned after 2 months of inactivity? Although I really think a month is plenty of time, you could mimic that.

Hmm. Is that how it works? Though, come to think of it, that's the name-loss time limit, too. I may as well call 2 months the upper suggestion limit, I guess. Though, the implemented limit might still be shorter, depending on what other opinions people have.