bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

* 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking? - I would like that, yes.

* 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates? - This would be the best for my purposes, but then again, I tend to "marry" my dragons. Would it be possible for this to be optional?

* 3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?

o 3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?

o 3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?

o 3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

For example: Attempt 1, you get no interest, so that result is saved. Attempt 2, they breed, but don't produce an egg. That is closer to an egg than no interest, so it overwrites the previous result. Attempt 3, they again show no interest, but since they bred once, this latest result is ignored in favor of Attempt 2's result. Attempt 4, they finally breed an egg, so that result is saved, and from now on, that's what those two dragons will show, since it has happened at least once.

o 3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution. - I prefer option B, personally.

* 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code? - Breed, yes. Code, not so much.

* 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long. - Heavens, no! Not based on my previous answers!

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time? - This would be nice.

I'm not very insightful at the moment, sorry. unsure.gif

Hey...bbik, would it be possible to make a whishlist with spaces to put numbers? It doesn't even have to have pictures, just names. List male/ female adults and male/female/ungendered hatchlings. Also the name of the dragon will only appear on the list after you have one adult.

Would that be possible?

There used to be the option of forcing true times when adding your scroll to the Daycare part, but now that option seems to be missing! I very much love that option as it allows me to see the time all of my growing critters have at the same time, and it seems to be the only place that can get the time right. Is this feature coming back, I hope?

Wow, lots of posts this time! Working through them...

I just got directed to your scroll statistics page. And love it. Now excuse me, I have a banner to make to put in my sig to advertise that wherever I post.

More buttons! Yay! I'll add those to the first post and the Help/Links page shortly. And I'm glad you (and rubyshoes!) like the page, too. smile.gif

@stogucheme, @fuzzbucket, @bantymom, @AlternateMew:

Thanks for the opinions! I've added them to the growing list, so I can try and get everything that everyone wants when I finally get the breed tracker online.

Hey...bbik, would it be possible to make a whishlist with spaces to put numbers? It doesn't even have to have pictures, just names. List male/ female adults and male/female/ungendered hatchlings. Also the name of the dragon will only appear on the list after you have one adult.

Would that be possible?

A generic wishlist could be possible, but sadly, showing dragons based on already owning the breed is not. TJ does not tell us what breed the dragons are through the API (I really do not understand why he doesn't...), so anything involving checking the breed is pretty much out. sad.gif

For small scrolls, it might be feasible to work around that, like I've already done for the sickness checker, but when you get up past 10, 20, maybe 50 dragons if there's no lag, it starts taking much too long, and most browsers would just time out, instead of give the result you want. Very frustrating.

There used to be the option of forcing true times when adding your scroll to the Daycare part, but now that option seems to be missing!

[*]Daycare -- The "force correct time display" option has been removed, since the API's timing glitch has been fixed.

As far as I've been able to tell for the past couple weeks, all dragons have been showing the correct times, even without selecting the "force correct times" option, which is why I removed it with this round of updates.

Have you still been seeing the wrong times? If you have, then the bug apparently isn't quite fixed yet, so I can certainly add the option back in. But if you haven't seen any incorrect times recently, either, then the option isn't really necessary, and the (admittedly, small amount of) lag it causes isn't producing any benefit.

Did I miss anyone?

A generic wishlist could be possible, but sadly, showing dragons based on already owning the breed is not. TJ does not tell us what breed the dragons are through the API (I really do not understand why he doesn't...), so anything involving checking the breed is pretty much out. sad.gif

For small scrolls, it might be feasible to work around that, like I've already done for the sickness checker, but when you get up past 10, 20, maybe 50 dragons if there's no lag, it starts taking much too long, and most browsers would just time out, instead of give the result you want. Very frustrating.

A list would be fine, something I can put numbers in and possibly get saved. I don't have excel so I can't get to making my own (plus I hate the program). I guess I could keep track of it in Open Office, but it would seem like it would take a while...I guess I'll have to try. Still, would be nice to have one online even if it's only name oriented and not picture based or doesn't update on its own. That sucks breeds couldn't be recognized though.

I only know some bare basics in coding, so I was wondering how Silvi's is able to count how many of certain breeds are on the site?

I only know some bare basics in coding, so I was wondering how Silvi's is able to count how many of certain breeds are on the site?

Since this came up sometime in the past, going to just quote that answer:

Best guess is that it's done by going to every individual dragon's page and checking for the breed there (which seems like it would be far too much strain on the server, and given DC's penchant for lag, would time out more than it would work), or, since some breeds have the same descriptions, maybe by comparing the images themselves (which I haven't yet had time to learn how to do, so I have no idea how well that would work or what the repercussions would be, nor what extra software may be required to do the comparisons).

It would be so much more useful if the API could just tell us the breed...

Well, since no one else is posting, I guess I'm going to have to double-post to make sure it's seen...

For this proposed breed wish/need-list, it's already been established that people want to be able to enter numbers for each of adult male/female and frozen male/female/ungendered.

Should there also be a separation of CB/lineaged totals? Or is it enough to have the list at all, so if those two totals are combined, it's no problem? Or is it more likely that the totals will be for strictly CB-wants and don't-care-about-lineage-wants, since otherwise people tend to want specific lineages, and a simple number won't be useful, in that case?

How about separate totals for Dorsal, Striped, Ridgewing, etc colors, and Alt vs Regular? I assume people would want those separate rather than combined, right?

Edit:

And the Help page has been updated with Mew's buttons finally, too. I think I'm all caught up now! Yay!

Edited by bbik

Well, since no one else is posting, I guess I'm going to have to double-post to make sure it's seen...

For this proposed breed wish/need-list, it's already been established that people want to be able to enter numbers for each of adult male/female and frozen male/female/ungendered.

Should there also be a separation of CB/lineaged totals? Or is it enough to have the list at all, so if those two totals are combined, it's no problem? Or is it more likely that the totals will be for strictly CB-wants and don't-care-about-lineage-wants, since otherwise people tend to want specific lineages, and a simple number won't be useful, in that case?

How about separate totals for Dorsal, Striped, Ridgewing, etc colors, and Alt vs Regular? I assume people would want those separate rather than combined, right?

Edit:

And the Help page has been updated with Mew's buttons finally, too. I think I'm all caught up now! Yay!

I would definitely say say separation of different versions. And for the lineage/CB thing, would it be reasonable to have a little spot to type in individual preferences? So say, someone could specify that they want a CB red dorsal but they want a lineaged pink with an Alt Sweetling parent. Kind of a two-birds-one-stone thing?

(I hope I'm understanding the second question right.)

@bbik

The clock on the actual clock page does not show up eighter.

I use IE 8 on Win 7/64 bit.

The clock used to work for me erlier, and since than I have not changed my Java script settings.

There was an update for Win 7/64 which I installed last week, it seems since than it's broken.

There was an update for Win 7/64 which I installed last week, it seems since than it's broken.

Well then. I have even less of an idea what could possibly be the problem, in that case! blink.gif

But at least it's a narrower cause/timeframe. Let's see what others say; maybe their answers will be able to shed some light.

Edit: Oops, missed Mew's post!

A note for each breed (how many are there now? 80? 100?) would get rather lengthy, especially if the notes are descriptive, which tends to happen when lineages are involved. I am thinking of having an option to add some extra details, but probably not for every breed. Pick your top 5 lineages and mention them, or such.

Edited by bbik

Well then.  I have even less of an idea what could possibly be the problem, in that case! blink.gif

But at least it's a narrower cause/timeframe.  Let's see what others say; maybe their answers will be able to shed some light.

Just to put it out there, I'm running Firefox 3.6.16 and just checked the clock. It shows up fine for me.

EDIT: And yeah, I see your point with the breeds thing. xd.png

Edited by AlternateMew

Edit:

I almost forgot, but yes, i think the number implied should be for CB dragons...you can't really count lineaged dragons since all lineages are different. It wouldn't really make sense to count those if only the CB dragons can be recognized. I don't think alts should be lumped in with normals either and any holiday dragons should probably be excluded from the list, same for any other "special" dragons such as prize dragons and "breed only". Instead, could the possibly be a separate list of "special dragons"? It would be just a general checklist for dragons whose lineages wouldn't matter or can't be controlled or are limited, such as holidays, breed onlys, prize dragons, zombies, vampires, and neglecteds. These dragons either can't be CB or people would care less if they are CB, they're just highly desirable and really shouldn't be left out on a wish list of sorts.

From the other thread:

Just to make sure everyone's checking the same things, though, there are two (known) reasons why the clock won't show up:

* JavaScript is disabled. -- in which case there would be no clock, the 'check all' box also wouldn't work, the dropdown options in the viewer wouldn't disable/enable depending on what you have selected, and a few other things.

* Your browser is too narrow. -- Everything else should work, and the clock should show on the actual clock page, but it won't show on the other pages, because there just isn't space.

And in the meantime, if the problem persists, could you let me know what version of IE you're using, as well (or if it's another browser having problems, which browser/version)? If it's specific to a single version, we could at least blame it on that, but if it's not...

I doesn't worry me that the clock doesn't work, but if it helps...

I'm running IE7 on Vista 32bit.

I've never been able to see the clock - and I don't get the clock on the clock page either. Nor does the "check all" box work, though "check all" boxes at other hatcheries do. The popup viewer options do work, though.

I've triple checked and though I'm not particularly techie, I'm sure Javascript is on. I've never turned it off. The custom sort page works, so I assume I'm right about it being on.

I used to be able to see the numbers around the outside of the clock, but not the hands of the clock, however recently even that has disappeared.

FS

From the other thread:

Just to make sure everyone's checking the same things, though, there are two (known) reasons why the clock won't show up:

* JavaScript is disabled. -- in which case there would be no clock, the 'check all' box also wouldn't work, the dropdown options in the viewer wouldn't disable/enable depending on what you have selected, and a few other things.

* Your browser is too narrow. -- Everything else should work, and the clock should show on the actual clock page, but it won't show on the other pages, because there just isn't space.

And in the meantime, if the problem persists, could you let me know what version of IE you're using, as well (or if it's another browser having problems, which browser/version)? If it's specific to a single version, we could at least blame it on that, but if it's not...

I doesn't worry me that the clock doesn't work, but if it helps...

I'm running IE7 on Vista 32bit.

I've never been able to see the clock - and I don't get the clock on the clock page either. Nor does the "check all" box work, though "check all" boxes at other hatcheries do. The popup viewer options do work, though.

I've triple checked and though I'm not particularly techie, I'm sure Javascript is on. I've never turned it off. The custom sort page works, so I assume I'm right about it being on.

I used to be able to see the numbers around the outside of the clock, but not the hands of the clock, however recently even that has disappeared.

FS

Can someone just tell me were the DC server is lokated?

There are other world-time watches on web, so I can pick it up there when I need it (I'm in Europe).

Can someone just tell me were the DC server is lokated?

There are other world-time watches on web, so I can pick it up there when I need it (I'm in Europe).

DC is on US EST/EDT time. The same time as Washington DC.

As I said on the other thread about this, in case it helps - I can see the clock fine in firefox and chrome, but not in iE. Java is on. XP, SP3, iE 7 (I hate 8 and will not use it even for Those Pages !)

Also - in case THIS helps - is anyone else who can't see the clock finding that the buttons at the top overlap the words Neglected Dragons Daycare ? (I tried reducing text size etc - everything reduces so it just stays that way !)

OOH AND the buttons on the reload pane - in fact:

user posted image

In case that tells you ANYTHING. I'm not getting the "error on page" message I got yesterday though.

NB I don't CARE about this myself as I don't use iE unless there is no other option !

The navigation overlap is probably IE not dealing well with the styling. There might be something I can do to improve that (there's a tiny detail that might affect it, and I can't remember how I have it set right now), though it really shouldn't be causing that problem in the first place...

But the daycare-viewer?! Uh... There is NO reason that should be happening. There's nothing fancy whatsoever there. The dropdowns and button aren't inserted from elsewhere or anything like that... They're coded directly into the basic HTML, right in the text, just like any other text. So for that to be screwing up... IE is even dumber than I thought. rolleyes.gif

The navigation overlap is probably IE not dealing well with the styling. There might be something I can do to improve that (there's a tiny detail that might affect it, and I can't remember how I have it set right now), though it really shouldn't be causing that problem in the first place...

But the daycare-viewer?! Uh... There is NO reason that should be happening. There's nothing fancy whatsoever there. The dropdowns and button aren't inserted from elsewhere or anything like that... They're coded directly into the basic HTML, right in the text, just like any other text. So for that to be screwing up... IE is even dumber than I thought. rolleyes.gif

That doesn't take much.... *hates the bloody thing*

Hehe. So true.

Try a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5) and see if the navigation overlap is any better now? I see no change on the browsers I have here, so I don't know if it'll really do anything... But maybe. Let me know if it looks wrong in any previously-working browsers, now, too, for that matter.

Edit for clarity

Edited by bbik

Edit:

Would you be able to do something like this? Maybe instead of offering dragons for others, just have the 'Request' column? As in, can you make a list with just the images of the wanted eggs and a CB on the eggs if people want CBs? And maybe if people want a special lineage you could write a description?

Or are you not suggesting doing this? Your post was a little confusing to me.

I'm really enjoying the new scroll stats thing. It's really quite nice, and I like how much detail is learned from this. >w>

Oh, and the lineage checkers and action trackers are TOTALLY AWESOME~

Would you be able to do something like this? Maybe instead of offering dragons for others, just have the 'Request' column? As in, can you make a list with just the images of the wanted eggs and a CB on the eggs if people want CBs? And maybe if people want a special lineage you could write a description?

Or are you not suggesting doing this? Your post was a little confusing to me.

Yeah, I tend to be confusing, much as I try not to be. sad.gif Sorry about that.

However, it does sound like you're suggesting what I was asking (a way to distinguish CB and bred wants), so that works out. I probably won't use images, at least to start, since people still tend to be awfully "Oh no!! Spoiler!!!"-crazy, but maybe later, if the response is good enough.

@Sinsdaemn

I'm glad you like the extras! Don't forget to point them out to others, too, so even more people can take advantage of them, and hopefully find them just as useful!

Yeah, I tend to be confusing, much as I try not to be. sad.gif  Sorry about that.

However, it does sound like you're suggesting what I was asking (a way to distinguish CB and bred wants), so that works out.  I probably won't use images, at least to start, since people still tend to be awfully "Oh no!!  Spoiler!!!"-crazy, but maybe later, if the response is good enough.

It's fine. I'm sure I can be just as confusing at times.

Spoilers? Are you talking about new releases or wish lists (I was talking about wish lists)? What exactly are you thinking of doing and what will its features be?

EDIT: I just saw your wishlist. I know that you listed Blunas and Goldfish as being on hold, but if you want one, I can give you a third gen because I'm going to start a pure even-gen Goldfish/Bluna lineage (if the Goldfish genders correctly). Or rather, I'm going to breed my dragons and offer their 3rd-gen eggs to whoever. Or just abandon them- that would work too, and it's not like they'd be on the AP long. Rambling, sorry. Just tell me if you want one.

Edited by stogucheme

Spoilers? Are you talking about new releases or wish lists (I was talking about wish lists)? What exactly are you thinking of doing and what will its features be?

EDIT: I just saw your wishlist...

Spoilers in the sense of "this is the breed name, this is the egg that produces that breed, etc" which technically is allowed now, but some people are still awfully touchy about it.

What exactly I'm thinking is... still not entirely decided? I have a few vague ideas, but nothing that's worth detailing yet, since it'll probably change by the time I get it online. Everything else has certainly followed that pattern.

As for the wishlist, thanks for the offer. smile.gif But, yeah, I should probably just remove those two from the list for now... I had originally been thinking of doing PB lineages with them, as well, but there are soooo many other dragons I still need, that extras like goldfish and blunas have unfortunately been shoved below even the bottom of the low-priority list. Maybe someday. Thanks, though!