bbik

The Allure of Neglected Dragons

Thank you for providing your health checking tool. I was moving my dragons into fansites yesterday, and it notified me that my two newest eggs already had soft shell. I'd raised 80 eggs without having that problem, so this was a first for me. I often don't look at an egg myself until it is in it's second day, but their numbers were climbing much faster than normal. I might have caught it, but I might not. I quickly fogged both eggs, and both are doing well now. Thank you for providing this valuable tool! wub.gif

Yeah there have been reports of eggs getting tremendous views and immediately getting sick. So don't worry, it's not just you smile.gif

I discovered this site a few days ago and i love how it works. It's saved a few of my eggs as well. It helps me get a lot of views. This site is great.

Updates, finally! Merry Christma-Hanu-Kwanzaa-kah!

Action Trackers:

• The Freeze Tracker has been expanded, and now also covers all existing BSAs. Breeding is missing, because I still haven't heard enough details on what people want. Check my next post for more info.

• Anyone who has saved freeze dates in the past two weeks should still have them.

• Anyone else who previously used the tracker will have to set their time zone again -- but that's only one extra click anyhow, so easy enough. smile.gif

• And for those who check here, but miss the (admittedly, hard to see) "more info" underline, for the Influence tracker, egg codes are optional. You can still save usage dates without giving an egg code.

Other smaller updates:

• Daycare
    • Sick dragons now show up in red.
    • The table has been compressed, to allow for more dragons to fit on the screen at once, when we get increased slots.
    • Numbers have also been added, to make it easier to count all those dragons once we get increased slots.
    • The "Add another scroll?" link always shows.
    • A reminder to give views after you update dragons has been added.
    • The ? for fogged dragons is hopefully clearer about there being more info available.
    • Bugfix -- Scroll names with apostrophes should work properly now. Sorry I didn't notice this problem sooner!
  • NDAR
    • Added a note to remind people that excessive ARing can be harmful, not helpful.
  • Extras
    • Now has the ToD Tutorial link, under "Neglected Topics", instead of the Help page.
  • Help
    • Added a link to a very complete history of DC.
    • Added a section explaining how fansites work -- by everyone regularly using the viewers -- because so few people seem to know that anymore.
    • Corrected a couple errors in other sections.
  • Viewer (homepage and popup)
    • Added a time estimate for how long it will take to view all listed dragons.
    • Stars in the viewer should be a bit (and I do mean a tiny bit) easier to click now.
  • Breeding Chart
    • Updated with all the breeds which have been released to this point.
    • Alphabetized, rather than listed by release date or my own personal color-sort.
  • Menu-bar
    • Submenus (click the [+] ) have been completely reworked, and hopefully are more useful now.
  • Auto-Cleaner
    • Updated and improved. It should be faster and more effective, even when DC is laggy. Depending on how much better it works, I might run it more often, too.
  • Other Minor Changes
    • The Lineage Viewer's "There's more!" note for extended lineages is now smaller, so it doesn't stretch the page as much, and a different shade, to distinguish it from the normal lineage link.
    • Added a couple lines to the homepage, which will hopefully make it even easier to use the site (since a few people have reported confusion), and with a bit of luck, remind people they need to give views to get views.
Edited by bbik

Yes, I'm double-posting. I want to be able to link this specific chunk of text directly, though, and a separate post is the easiest way to do it.

For the Breed Tracker:

• 1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking?

So far, I have one vote sure, one vote don't bother, and one vote neutral. That's not much to go on.

• 2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates?

• 3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?
    • 3A: Only the most recent outcome with each mate?
    • 3B: Save all results, giving you a running list of each recorded breeding attempt?
    • 3C: Or with a sliding scale where you work up to having an egg eventually?

For example: Attempt 1, you get no interest, so that result is saved. Attempt 2, they breed, but don't produce an egg. That is closer to an egg than no interest, so it overwrites the previous result. Attempt 3, they again show no interest, but since they bred once, this latest result is ignored in favor of Attempt 2's result. Attempt 4, they finally breed an egg, so that result is saved, and from now on, that's what those two dragons will show, since it has happened at least once.

• 3D: Some other way entirely? If you have other ideas/preferences, let me know that as well, and maybe I'll be able to work them into one ideal solution.
  • 4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't?

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

• 5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

• 6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

Please share your ideas and desires! I need to know what you would like to see, what you would find useful! The more details you give me, the better the resulting tracker will be.

Wow. Love all the new updates. Thanks, bbik and Merry Christmas. I don't really breed much so don't have any specific desires/opinions for the breeding tracker. smile.gif

I don't really use a breed tracker, so can't answer those questions. But I was wondering, will there be a scroll overview thingy? Cause that's one of the things i'm still missing.

But I was wondering, will there be a scroll overview thingy?

Yeah, sometime. That's another one of the half-done things I have, and just haven't had a chance to finish it properly.

Awesome news AoND fans. I'm happy to announce that our wonderful site has grown to the point that AoND can be used ALONE to handle all your egg hatching and hatchling growing needs.

I've been looking for so long, for a single site that could get me all the views/unique views/clicks needed to grow my eggs and hatchlings, and I've finally found it at AoND. Not since DCF shut down has this been possible.

All Hail the wonderfulness that is The Allure of Neglected Dragons!!!!!

For the Breed Tracker:

•1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking? -- Nope, I know most of mine by name.

•2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused? -- I think that's taken care of now on the scroll itself, yes? So, skip.

2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt?

2C: Or do you want a list of all mates?

•3: If you want a list of all mates (2C), how should the result be shown?

Most recent 3 mates with running tally of results 'no egg' 'no interest' 'egg'.

I generally stick with one mate for a while before giving up and moving on to a new one, but sometimes I rotate... depends on the dragon and having some reference for failure history would be useful. If I see that he and another have 3 'no egg' I can go look for a different mate and I tend to forget after a while.

4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code?

No... I can look at 'children', just to know that they did give me an egg is good.

•5A: Do you want to have all of your recorded dragons showing at once? Depending on the choices for questions 2 and 3, this could quickly grow very long.

5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time?

One at a time please, or I'll be on information over load. smile.gif

Heads off to see if there are any adult dragons to remove.....

I really enjoy the site. It's my favorite of the hatcheries.

A quick suggestion: You might want to put a link to the Neglected Dragon Science Thread or explain what an neglected dragon is somewhere. Just for people who come to the site for the ER/Hatchery/Daycare and are all "What's a Neglected dragon?"

A quick suggestion: You might want to put a link to the Neglected Dragon Science Thread or explain what an neglected dragon is somewhere. Just for people who come to the site for the ER/Hatchery/Daycare and are all "What's a Neglected dragon?"

Oh, there's an idea! I hadn't even thought of that. I have been wanting to add a terminology page, since ND-experimenting seems to have rather a lot of dedicated stuff, but I hadn't even considered explaining the dragon itself -- it was such a non-issue when the site opened, since it was so specific to experiments as it was, that it never crossed my mind. But you're right, the site has grown and expanded so much by now, it probably would be helpful.

And to all of you declaring your love and devotion: Yay! I'm glad so many of you are finding AoND so helpful! Here's hoping it stays that great (and gets better!) for a long time to come. smile.gif

i'm new to DC and i have only used AoND and dragon focus to hatch all my eggs and grow them into adults!

I was wondering if there could be an option to manually refresh a single dragon be cause at 1 pointyesterday there was 5 full grown dragons in the ER room and even after '30 sec refrsh' only one dissappeared.This is annoying if you are trying to help hatch other eggs and there are adults blocking the way.

I will continue to use AoND as it is the most reliable i have found!

...an option to manually refresh a single dragon...

That's what the small boxes on the ER page are for. Submit the code, and that single dragon will refresh once per second.

...there was 5 full grown dragons in the ER room...

The daycare and ER both get auto-cleaned every half hour (subject to change in the future, but that's the current time). However, you are also more than welcome to help keep the site clean. If you use the viewer on the homepage, or the popup version, there are little stars that you can click to update dragons -- remove non-ERs, move hatchlings from the nest to the nursery, or remove adults/frozens/deads.

Manual cleaning (the stars) is not available on the other pages. You can certainly use the other pages to give views, but remember that all dragons need your views -- not just the ERs. So to encourage people to view both ER and daycare dragons, cleaning is only possible when both groups are displayed.

I hope that answers your question, and I'm glad you like the site! smile.gif

That's what the small boxes on the ER page are for. Submit the code, and that single dragon will refresh once per second.

The daycare and ER both get auto-cleaned every half hour (subject to change in the future, but that's the current time). However, you are also more than welcome to help keep the site clean. If you use the viewer on the homepage, or the popup version, there are little stars that you can click to update dragons -- remove non-ERs, move hatchlings from the nest to the nursery, or remove adults/frozens/deads.

Manual cleaning (the stars) is not available on the other pages. You can certainly use the other pages to give views, but remember that all dragons need your views -- not just the ERs. So to encourage people to view both ER and daycare dragons, cleaning is only possible when both groups are displayed.

I hope that answers your question, and I'm glad you like the site! smile.gif

That's what the small boxes on the ER page are for.  Submit the code, and that single dragon will refresh once per second.

can you do this for any dragon not just your own?

thanks for explaining! alot.png

can you do this for any dragon not just your own?

You can, but I would suggest checking if the dragon's owner is accepting aid, first. They may have added the dragon for the extra UVs, but don't want massive Overall Views, or want to keep the views coming slow but steady.

Mmkay, I decided to make few banners for the site smile.gif

Leading to the ER :

-One with transparent background :

user posted image

[url=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/NDER.php][img=http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5525/ndbanner.png][/url]

-Same one with white background :

user posted image

[url=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/NDER.php][img=http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8138/ndbannerwhite.png][/url]

Leading to the main page of the site :

-Transparent Background

user posted image

[url=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/][img=http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/920/banneraond.png][/url]

-White Background

user posted image

[url=http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/][img=http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2328/banneraondwhite.png][/url]

For the Breed Tracker, I wondered...

...if it would be possible to see at which day and exact time the dragon can breed again.

Because I always forget when I bred them and so, exact time would be cool.

Hi I just found your ND site about a week ago by clicking on someones signature banner. I am really loving your BSA Trackers!!!!! I have a really slow computer and it is much easier to go to your tracker and check my pinks for inluence than to wait for my scroll to load, then get to the actions page of each dragon to see if I can influence. It is awsome that we can find a BSA that is available, click the code and open that actions page redy for action! THANK YOU!

For the Breed Tracker:

•1: Do you want to see the gender of the adult you're tracking? Name would be better

•2A: Do you want to see only a list of which mates refused?

•2B: Or a list of refusals, plus the current mate and the result of their latest breeding attempt? list of refusals, 2 lists of success- one with egg, one without eggs- a mate could be on more than one of these. And then a comlete record of the most current mates breeding record

•4A: If you want to track whether or not an egg was produced, do you only want to know that one was/wasn't? yes for past mates

•4B: Or do you also want to know the breed and/or code? This would be nice for any children with the most current mate

•5B: Or would you rather be able to pull up each individual dragon's info as you need it, one at a time? yes the breeding info other than the name and next breeding date can be on a link that shows only when clicked on for each dragon.

•6+: Is there anything else a breeding tracker should have?

No matter what records are kept for the breeding/mates it would be nice to have a list of any children that STAY on your scroll with parent names. This in hopes of avoiding inbreeding

I hope my answers are some help and not just blah blah blah, LOL

@KaiCat

Cute and cuddly! And with cupcakes! I'll add them to the first post shortly.

@Aurora-Silver & Linda4atc

I'll add your responses to the collection. They're definitely helpful -- the more detail I can get about what people actually want, the more useful I can make it, and the fewer progress-delaying questions there will be about how I should do it.

However, I'm going back to school next week, for the first time in years, so it might be a while until I have enough time to code something as complicated as the breed tracker will probably be. I would certainly love to continue hearing more opinions in the meantime, though!

@ Everyone

Thanks for the compliments. smile.gif I'm glad you're finding the various pages useful! Make sure you tell your friends as well, so the site can grow and become even better!