undertow

Removing Time for AP Eggs

I searched for this and couldn't find anything quite like it. I hope I am not mistaken.

Back in the day, when the AP rarely ever had eggs and it was shocking and exciting when it did, it made sense for time to be added to eggs when they were abandoned. We needed more time to make sure they wouldn't die.

Times have changed, a LOT, and I believe measures have already been taken to limit time added to eggs when they are abandoned.

It just occurred to me that times have changed so much, that the reverse could be beneficial to the working of this site. ...that is, an egg or hatchling loses time when abandoned. This would make AP drops more desirable, as eggs with shorter times left are more readily snapped up than those with seven days to go.

There would need to be limits, of course. A cut-off point at which an egg or hatchling cannot lose time (maybe when they have only five days left?) to prevent abandonment automatically killing them, but I think it would be a viable idea. It wouldn't solve any major problems, but I think it would help the site run that much more smoothly.

I also think it makes sense, as abandonment wouldn't be good for egg or hatchling.

Thoughts?

I can imagine an abuse of the system... Friends trading eggs multiple times so that they can cut down on time to hatching.

Sounds nice, though.

I like this idea a lot =) A limit on losing time could be like what we have in place now; no egg or hatchling can gain time after the first abandonment! I would support this. It would make AP hunting much more enjoyable in my eyes

I can imagine an abuse of the system... Friends trading eggs multiple times so that they can cut down on time to hatching.

Sounds nice, though.

That could easily be fixed by limiting the time-change as it is now, only in reverse. An egg or hatchling only loses time the first time it is abandoned.

hehe, ninjed.

Edited by undertow

I agree. Back in the day, nobody needed an incentive to pick up AP eggs, because they were pretty much the same as CB eggs. Nowadays, we have insane lineages and inbreeding and other stuff that makes CB eggs more desirable, so the AP should have something to give it an edge.

Although, I don't think a day should be taken off eggs that already have four days left to live or less.

I like the idea of time removal (with a limit of say 24 hours) for abandoned eggs.

Edited by pegasi1978

I like this idea as well. I don't hunt the AP often, but when I do, I definitely try to snap up the short time eggs pretty much no matter what breed they are.

I like this idea as well-- the low-time eggs in the AP get snatched up like cookies, no matter what breed/lineage they are.

I can think of one group who may not be happy with the idea--- ND experimenters, since one technique for keeping NDs alive long enough to hatch is "bouncing" them through the AP to a friend's scroll, so that they gain a day. But... you can never please everyone tongue.gif

I agree. Back in the day, nobody needed an incentive to pick up AP eggs, because they were pretty much the same as CB eggs. Nowadays, we have insane lineages and inbreeding and other stuff that makes CB eggs more desirable, so the AP should have something to give it an edge.

Although, I don't think a day should be taken off eggs that already have four days left to live or less.

Red, blue, green stripes, geodes, blaunas and anything else I missed isn't an edge? Though its more "special" then edge. :-/

Can't disagree anything more then that though.

The AP is becoming a hasle for everyone, since even I pick up CBs from time to time to balance out the horrible bloodlines I pick up. Getting TO the cave is an on and off problem right now.

I agree with this -- the only reason I have a CB black is because I clicked a link that had 6 day 13 hours below it before the egg image loaded. If I'd seen it was a black, I probably wouldn't have clicked it because I would have thought it was a bred egg.

So yes, I feel this is a good idea, is the summary of that unnecessary story. *coughcough*

~Feathers

Hmm, maybe... It woulden't do anything to my schedule. smile.gif

Nononono...

I shall hurry and make my ND army first then. x.x

Hmm, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Are you saying that it would immediately lose a day of time when it's abandoned, or just that once an egg is abandoned it starts losing time normally and it can't regain time?

In general, I support this idea. It would indeed help somewhat with them losing a day, but at the same time it would make it even more difficult than it already is for ND Experimenters to 'bounce' their egg to help it hatch. Perhaps have the egg/hatchling lose a day when it is first abandoned, except if it already has less than 2-4 days? And if the egg/hatchling being abandoned has less than a day, perhaps it would gain a day?

In general, I support this idea. It would indeed help somewhat with them losing a day, but at the same time it would make it even more difficult than it already is for ND Experimenters to 'bounce' their egg to help it hatch. Perhaps have the egg/hatchling lose a day when it is first abandoned, except if it already has less than 2-4 days? And if the egg/hatchling being abandoned has less than a day, perhaps it would gain a day?

Ooo, I like that idea. How about 7-5.5 days remaining, it looses a day (because anything under 4 days can hatch), anything with 5.5-1 day remaining doesn't change in time, and anything with <1 day remaining gains a day?

Hmm, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. Are you saying that it would immediately lose a day of time when it's abandoned, or just that once an egg is abandoned it starts losing time normally and it can't regain time?

immediately lose a day, as they currently immediately gain one.

One solution for the ND problem would be a BSA that does the opposite of Incubate. A BSA that adds a day to an egg's life.

Ooo, I like that idea. How about 7-5.5 days remaining, it looses a day (because anything under 4 days can hatch), anything with 5.5-1 day remaining doesn't change in time, and anything with <1 day remaining gains a day?

That is a good idea, as well. It's been pointed out up above, but I could definitely see somebody abusing this system, abandoning their egg and having a friend catch it to trade it back so that it loses a day and makes it faster to hatch. Although, now that I think about it, you could also make this backfire as well. When the person abandons the egg/hatchling, it loses a day just like it would normally, but if it is dropped again it could gain a day instead. But this would also make it so if somebody accidentally clicks on it when it is dropped the first time, then it would kind of defeat the purpose of the idea for it to lose a day in the first place.

One solution for the ND problem would be a BSA that does the opposite of Incubate. A BSA that adds a day to an egg's life.

That would be awesome, as well. I don't see one of the current dragons fitting this ability, but that can be easily solved with a new one. I would bet that one is being thought of now, even if without the BSA in mind yet.

Edited by ZanGetsuFuhma

immediately lose a day, as they currently immediately gain one.

Then it would only work if the egg had 6 days or less, a cap like incubate.

That is a good idea, as well. It's been pointed out up above, but I could definitely see somebody abusing this system, abandoning their egg and having a friend catch it to trade it back so that it loses a day and makes it faster to hatch. Although, now that I think about it, you could also make this backfire as well. When the person abandons the egg/hatchling, it loses a day just like it would normally, but if it is dropped again it could gain a day instead. But this would also make it so if somebody accidentally clicks on it when it is dropped the first time, then it would kind of defeat the purpose of the idea for it to lose a day in the first place.

That would be awesome, as well. I don't see one of the current dragons fitting this ability, but that can be easily solved with a new one. I would bet that one is being thought of now, even if without the BSA in mind yet.

The other thing is, if/when Teleport is implemented, "bouncing" will no longer be possible-- both for the theoretical people who want to lose time, and for the NDers who want to gain time...

The other thing is, if/when Teleport is implemented, "bouncing" will no longer be possible-- both for the theoretical people who want to lose time, and for the NDers who want to gain time...

That's true, but in the meantime this would still work just fine. And besides, Teleport is still under heavy consideration and debate, the odds of it coming out soon are slim. Soon being the next few months, at least.

I like this idea as well-- the low-time eggs in the AP get snatched up like cookies, no matter what breed/lineage they are.

So right now you might get an AP cookie once a day. You will not be picky over the flavour of it. But soon many cookies come. You see rarer types more and more as cookies get common. Soon everything is a cookie. You can be as picky as you want with them. Your version of a cookie is now not including what you liked before and cookies are everywhere. sad.gif

Thats not good. It might be like that.

So right now you might get an AP cookie once a day. You will not be picky over the flavour of it. But soon many cookies come. You see rarer types more and more as cookies get common. Soon everything is a cookie. You can be as picky as you want with them. Your version of a cookie is now not including what you liked before and cookies are everywhere. sad.gif

Thats not good. It might be like that.

Well, most eggs that go to the AP, from what I can tell, are eggs that are bred and either auto-abandoned from a multi-clutch or abandoned after breeding. I'd guess this is where they come from because of their similar "time remaining" labels. These eggs probably have more than six days left when they are abandoned, so they get reset to seven days when they go to the AP. If that extra day was removed instead of added, there would be a wall of "6 days left" eggs on the AP. Not exactly cookies, imho. However, they would take significantly less time to raise than CB eggs, and so they would be somewhat more desirable because of that, methinks.

I like this idea!

Even if eggs/hatchies stopped gaining a day when first abandoned, that'd help.

I really like this idea. I think having a day less would make a good incentive for folks to adopt from the AP.