Aquaelie

Any Musicians?

I can play piano, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, and trombone. I'm becoming more of a jazz musician as of late and can really get into improv on the tenor sax. ((2/5/1 progression ftw!))

Edit: Add Flute to that list. Bought one and now I'm awesome at it after just a few months of practice! I love it!

Edited by BlueApollo

I'm learning to play guitar. My dad is teaching me and He's been playingmy whole live and is awesomes.

I play Clarinet.

I sing.

I write songs.

Well, I play the flute.

I've only been learning it for two and a half years so far, though. smile.gif

Violin, Cello, Piano, Saxophone, and the drums. All of them at least 4 years :3

Still taking private lessons and included in university Orchestra/Band.

(FTW, I'm 13 xd.png)

I finally got my bass! happy.gif

Does anyone know any easy songs I can teach myself? I can't start taking lessons until next month.

Ehh... there's been a couple of things I've played in the past but dropped since (recorder and clarinet), and I'm still trying to teach myself to play the acoustic guitar, but other than that there's only two things I do regularly: play the piano and sing.

I've played the piano/keyboard since I was about four, so roughly thirteen years. I'd just passed grade 4 when I stopped taking lessons. Now I mostly play to accompany myself when I sing.

I've got quite a bit further with my singing than I did with piano - I passed grade 6 with merit back in March, and I used to be in a choir which did shows at City Hall. They were always great fun to do, even without the traditions the choir had about causing chaos backstage. tongue.gif We once sang on local radio too, which was a pretty unusual experience. We had to go down to the local college on Christmas Eve, and they recorded us singing for broadcast the next morning. The microphones are a bit distracting when you're not used to them (and still I'm not convinced that having to sit on itchy haybales was entirely necessary). Still, it's something to remember.

@BlueApollo *bows down to your talent* Improv on anything seems really hard.

I play flute for school...I've been playing for about 2 years, and I'm the worst in the two classes of band students at school. Still, it's really fun.

I want to learn saxophone. I heard that it has the same basic fingerings as flute?

I've played piano for 8-1/2, 9 years. I'm also a singer (going for a vocal audition at college next weekend, wish me luck!) with a nice resume, as I've been a year in the Red River Children's Choir (premiere children's choir in that area) and three years in the OBHS Sapphire (premiere women's choir in the state).

Lets see...... I used to play the violin for 3 years, but scrapped that to play stand-up bass (this is my 2nd year playing bass, and im doing better than a couple of people who've played it a year or two longer than me (if i really put effort into it, i could probably still play violin)), I can play the piano (somewhat...give me music and i'll figure out how to play it my own way), I can probably play electric bass if I picked it up (yes, i have my own but never used it often) and i fiddle around with a synthesizer every so often

Been playing piano for 14 years (lessons during most of those years) and I'm a singer. I'm actually the treasurer and member of an acapella group at my college. Good fun. smile.gif

Oh, and I also tried to spend two summers fail-learning guitar. I couldn't pick it up fast enough for me to stay interested though. sad.gif

I've played piano since I was five.

And cello, since I was seven-ish. I hate being asian. >___>

And my parents made me quit drums.

I've played piano since I was five.

And cello, since I was seven-ish. I hate being asian. >___>

And my parents made me quit drums.

You should be really thankful you started playing an instrument at such a young age. Well, in my opinion at least. I wonder how good I would be now if I started guitar when I was really young.

OT: I'm enrolled in a jazz and rock college and begin classes on the 21st.

Lets see...... I used to play the violin for 3 years, but scrapped that to play stand-up bass (this is my 2nd year playing bass, and im doing better than a couple of people who've played it a year or two longer than me (if i really put effort into it, i could probably still play violin)), I can play the piano (somewhat...give me music and i'll figure out how to play it my own way), I can probably play electric bass if I picked it up (yes, i have my own but never used it often) and i fiddle around with a synthesizer every so often

Bass-fwend~ <3 <3

Hyuuu~ I play the real upright bass, and have been doing so for 3 and a half years. I got into All State Band for it, so I'm happy my 8-something years of violin didn't go to waste. x3 I can play viola, since it's relatively the same thing as a violin, but I still struggle with reading Alto Cleff... Tenor Cleff, too... which is an issue, given how all most bass solos are written in that dratted cleff... Why can't we just stick to Bass and Treble Cleff, eh?

Black~ Electric isn't that bad once you know how to play an upright/ stand up. The fingerings and spacing is the same. I play an electric for jazz band, though I'm still more comfortable playing with my upright and a pickup.

I can't improvise to save my life, but I can play by ear fairly well... which is odd, considering how I generally cannot play jazz to save my life... x3

I play the violin. I'm fine at it, just get spazzy whenever someone watches me play. Namely a group of 36 sixth graders and my orchestra teacher.

Any bassists in the house? I'm getting one in a few months, and I'm VERY excited c: Epiphone EB-3 - I got it on sale for $230.

EDIT: I meant an electric bass, sorry ><

Edited by War Pig Killer

Any bassists in the house? I'm getting one in a few months, and I'm VERY excited c: Epiphone EB-3 - I got it on sale for $230.

EDIT: I meant an electric bass, sorry ><

Right here! I'm not very good yet, though. I can only play one song. Sort of. But I absolutely love it. happy.gif

Keyboard

The main instrument I play. I've played it for 11 years (jeez, now I feel old) although I haven't had lessons for about 4 years now. I can play quite a bit of stuff and I could play more if I had enough patience and time to actually practice. I mainly play by ear (almost illiterate when it comes to reading music, and totally illiterate when reading bass clef) so I can't actually sight-read all that well on keyboard. That said, my keyboard is amazing and I love it.

Voice

This is probably what I'm best at when it comes to music. If I'm not listening to music then I'm singing and I frequently do both at the same time. I sing with a well known Baroque choir called Ex Cathedra who perform and practice mainly in the Birmingham area (UK) but have performed around the world. Again, I sing by ear and I'm totally hopeless at sight singing.

Flute

Played it for a few years but gave up when my new flute teacher developed a nasty habit of hitting the end of the flute, thus loosening teeth in a rather painful and unnecessary manner. I still have the flute, which is usually sharp (apparently a common issue with Gemeinhardt flutes) and I play it when I need to sight read something (for some reason I can play things by sight on the flute but not on the keyboard or vocally. Weird huh?)

Guitar

Bought it off a friend and am essentially teaching myself to play it. Badly, because I have long nails. Ditto being able to sight-read on the guitar though. I use it to sight read when I'm playing something too low for the flute.

just got a new bow for my upright bass and i'm getting a black stand up electric bass soon

Can I see a picture? ^.^ Do you play French or German, by the by? I just bought a small 1/2 size bass (since I'm barely 5'1") a few weeks ago for a pretty penny (still not set up yet, and I need to get a new G and D string. I don't like their sound when compared to the A and E), but I'm so happy with it. It got me into All State Band. ^.^ I've had my current bow for over a year, since it's my teacher's old French bow that I got rehaired with salt and pepper hair... I find it works well for me, but there are a lot of debates about that... like anything with bass, really. x3 Rabbath is not for me, sadly...

But that's so awesome that you're getting a stand up electric bass... those things are so awesome. I've only played 'em at conventions and in music stores. x3

I mainly play by ear (almost illiterate when it comes to reading music, and totally illiterate when reading bass clef) so I can't actually sight-read all that well on keyboard. That said, my keyboard is amazing and I love it.

We must be soul-mates, then. Every single audition I ever go to, whether collegiate or otherwise, demands sight reading. I can play by ear no problem, but reading music? *shudders* I never learned how to read music when I was starting out as a musician, and I learned to compensate by training my ear. It's only now that I'm seriously working out of simple song books just to learn how to read music better. I have a book full of 101 etudes that I work out of, learning a new one each day.

I play it when I need to sight read something (for some reason I can play things by sight on the flute but not on the keyboard or vocally. Weird huh?)

I'm actually the opposite, but I'm in the same situation as you, really. I can sight-sing better than I can sight read bass music.

Random question for anyone: how much do you practice each day? I always go for a minimum of an hour each day, but when I have an audition or concert, I usually go until my arm hurts... or I have to study for an AP exam. x3

Edited by Devious_Bookworm

user posted image

^that's what my stand up electric bass looks like (exactly) and I use a meinel french bow and I play the 3/4 size bass

Edited by Blackshadowcost

I was a big band geek back in middle and all the way through high school. I've played the piano, Baritone horn, and drums. I love the marching quints! wub.gif

Piano, flute, any kind of percussion (and no, not just hitting it, I can do an epic roll on th susp. cymbal) french horn, and vocals.