TJ09

05/04/10 - State of the Cave

EDIT: @ Amazon...

Unfortunately, even something that would also require a contract of some kind I believe. Without any kind of policy, the artists still retain the right to the artwork. I'm not a lawyer, but I think unless SOMETHING is written and agreed to that TJ owns property to the art, the artists do have full rights to pull the artwork if they want, meaning TJ would not be able to simply veto it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't (won't) correct you because I don't know myself! Nah, my Dad was the lawyer in my family - I'm just a humble chemist. I wish he was alive now, then I could ask him about it. I don't think this was his area of expertise, but I bet he would have known more about it than I do. Me? I'm just throwing out random suggestions.

Please, I said enough.

Oh. my. goodness.

Neopets and Dragcave are two TOTALLY different sites. With Neopets, you have to pay to get special stuff. With Dragcave, if you work hard and get lucky, you have access to (almost) every dragon in the game. The exception is Bright Pinks if you made your account after they discontinued.

I think we should simmer down, or the drama llama with a Mod riding it will eat us ALL.

dead serious. saw it happen once. tongue.gif

Frills go bye bye?

I liked them...

The bright side is that I have a discontinued species!

In other news...

Love the new skin, Teej. Hopefully you'll get it up before summer, it's too awesome to wait.

(Z, are you talking to me? Am I the one who is off-topic? I really honestly think this needs to happen but if you don't want me posting about it here, fair enough, I'll just email TJ or something.)

Designs (almost) never belong to the original creators, they belong to the company that uses them.

My father owns numerous patents, but he sees no money for them, because the company he worked for at the time had an agreement with all of their employees that the company would own the inventions of the people who worked for it. That is standard practice in the business world and I promise you that if you want to make money as an artist you will find that everywhere.

If Hallmark prints a greeting card with your art on it, Hallmark owns the rights to that art. They wouldn't have let you make art for them without agreeing to that. Otherwise, greeting-card-designers would get all buthurt and pull their designs which would result in Hallmark having to recall the cards that have been shipped, waste the money they spent printing them, et cetera.

Edited by Sadako

Yeah I thought they were going at the end of June too sad.gif I was trying to breed a baby for myself from my frill pair since it was announced but got nothing. I was hoping for a little more time sad.gif

And the new theme looks lovely!

Well, ya know, she didn't actually "pull" the sprites... she just made it so you can't collect them anymore...

dry.gif

Maybe you guys should just be happy you got any warning at all.. o-o

Except that designs (almost) never belong to the original creators, they belong to the company that uses them.

My father owns numerous patents, but he sees no money for them, because the company he worked for at the time had an agreement with all of their employees that the company would own the inventions of the people who worked for it. That is standard practice in the business world and I promise you that if you want to make money as an artist you will find that everywhere.

If Hallmark prints a greeting card with your art on it, Hallmark owns the rights to that art. They wouldn't have let you make art for them without agreeing to that. Otherwise, greeting-card-designers would get all buthurt and pull their designs which would result in Hallmark having to recall the cards that have been shipped, waste the money they spent printing them, et cetera.

But I think the point that some of the spriters are making is that Hallmark have paid for the art, whereas DC doesn't pay its artists.

But I think the point that some of the spriters are making is that Hallmark have paid for the art, whereas DC doesn't pay its artists.

I used to admin a petsite. We would allow users to submit art to be used for official site art, and the users were not compensated in any way. However, it was understood that when you submit something it became the site's, and in fact when one person got mad at the site and asked that her art be taken down, her request was declined.

It's not at all unreasonable to expect this of a site even if they don't pay.

Edited by Akrona

Wait, they're gone now? Dang it dry.gif

Well, I'll miss them, and I'll need to find a replacement for the Re: Your Brains thing. In the meantime, it's onto Vines for The Garden of Proserpine...

Edited by Dr. Paine

I used to admin a petsite. We would allow users to submit art to be used for official site art, and the users were not compensated in any way. However, it was understood that when you submit something it became the site's, and in fact when one person got mad at the site and asked that her art be taken down, her request was declined.

It's not at all unreasonable to expect this of a site even if they don't pay.

I appreciate that the situation is different on other sites, and I'm not advocating either way - as stated above, I'm no lawyer! I was just pointing out why some of the artists here object to their work becoming the property of the site. Nothing more or less.

Except that designs (almost) never belong to the original creators, they belong to the company that uses them.

Difference being that Hallmark stands to make money off the artists' work.

Now, as far as DC goes... I guess it depends on whether the artists see it as "donating" their work to the site, or "letting TJ borrow" their work for the site. If he's just borrowing it, then they have full right to take it back at any time... if they donate it, then heck, it's a gift and it's his now.

Personally, I'm an artist; I've done paid commissions, I've done unpaid commissions, I've done commissions in return for free T-shirts. I would have no issue "donating" work to a site such as this, just having the knowledge that my art was out there and my name was at the credits at the bottom of every page, so people would recognize me for my work even if I didn't technically own it anymore. But then, that's just me. And I'm not just an artist, I'm also a scientist. I do cancer research. That's intellectual property, even purer intellectual property than artwork or music. You put years of effort into a research project, keep the details secret because ideas are so easy to steal... and then you publish. Your information, your findings, are all out in the world. You'll always have the credit for them; your name is on the paper. Heck, it might even make it into a few textbooks. But you will never "own" it ever again; it is the world's knowledge now, to do with it as they wish.

/rambling

It appears you wish me to continue giving off topic warns?

Gomen Z.

You're right. This thread is for talking about news on the updates, not on the other stuff.

/has yet to say anything about the new theme.

pretty, but I'll be sticking with the blue. Love blue.

Interesting, I thought mods weren't supposed to publicly discuss warns.

Perhaps one of you could make a thread to continue this discussion elsewhere? A "what is your opinion on this site issue" sort of thing.

Interesting, I thought mods weren't supposed to publicly discuss warns.

Perhaps one of you could make a thread to continue this discussion elsewhere? A "what is your opinion on this site issue" sort of thing.

Did I post Members names ?

I like the spring theme, but I'll probably come back to blue around summertime.

Well, there is one upside: Green stripes are now easy to get, as long as you have a frill on your srcoll.

Still, I'm sorry to see another breed go.

Speaking of which, if they ARE going to breed like Holidays, can we at least instate a "Frill Day" on iunno, Lyth's birthday or something, on which Frill eggs CAN be obtained? D:

This sounds cool, i wish we could get a day like that smile.gif

i will miss the frills so much, they are my fav dragons :/ ah well, it's too bad this happened early, atleast i got a lot of frills now.

No, however it was clearly directed to certain users, or that's how I saw it anyway. Doesn't really matter, I suppose.

This post itself is a bit offtopic at this point, so I'll just say frills will be missed and I'm just glad we got any warning at all.

Edited by Umbreonage

sad.gif Sorry for all those who did not get to collect the frills they wanted. Too bad that the situation has come to this.

That spring skin is really pretty, TJ. Hope to see it on the forum soon.