TJ09

05/04/10 - State of the Cave

Nope. This is incorrect.

Neopets doesn't do design contests, for one thing. Additionally, this disclaimer is present whenever anyone submits anything to the art gallery, etc.

It is there so that the creator cannot sue Neopets for using their work if they change their mind about putting it on the site later.

Why do they do this? Well, if you take a look at what's happened with the Frills, you'll see why. When unrelated people are given the power to take down things on a site at their whim, it causes serious problems.

Actually originally there were 4 neopets and MOST of the ones that followed were submitted by users. I've been on that site since march 2000, when it was originally pitched to college ages and adults. I actually knew the person that submitted the "Tigren" - user drawn pets were all removed and redrawn when there was a separate issue with TNT followed by some of the the staff moving on to make a different similar site tht is still around I think. Prior to that there was some discussion of having rights to the art given to TNT (who also were not called that yet) The DID indeed do user design contests. But I think they stopped in 2001 or early 2002.

This was of course quite a few years before it they also made premium accounts available as well.

I do agree that some kind of written agreement maybe should be considered, just in case this type of thing started happening more often. I do think that TJ should have the ultimate say whether it stays or goes since it is HIS site.

Who else might say tomorrow... decide they want their art removed too?

Edited by Neazi

Neazi, the thing is, when you made an account on Neopets, there was a specific stipulation in their TOS that said that any artwork you posted on their site at all was handed over to them, iirc. In other words, if you entered the contest, you lost copyright.

I didn't reach my goal of 10 male, 10 female adults and 5 male, 5 female hatchling frills. >_<

Ah well.

On the Neopets point, users who created pets had to sign a legal contract handing over the rights of their design for use on the site in pet-design contests, like it should be with any site that accepts artwork from unpaid people/users. "Shoyru" the Eyrie once had the contract his owner received for the Shoyru on his page with all the verbiage, but is now frozen.

if you can't handle you work being criticized and people saying things other than gushing over your work than maybe you shouldn't put yourself in a position that leaves you open to criticism.

+10

Specially on the net, where anyone can say what s/he pleases.

Good Riddance. I'm tired of all the drama.

And hopefully TJ will exercise caution before he adds anymore sprite from the spriter, we don't need anymore dragons discontinued.

Good Riddance. I'm tired of all the drama.

And hopefully TJ will exercise caution before he adds anymore sprite from the spriter, we don't need anymore dragons discontinued.

amen

Closed.

Edited by _Z_