Rorschach

Tattoos

On 1/29/2018 at 2:28 AM, TehUltimateMage said:

Question to all you tattoo enthusiasts:

How do you start looking for a place? Do you kind of browse what's nearby online and take a look? I've been thinking of getting something simple like a small filled-in star (that doesn't seem like it should matter who does it, since there's no room for "art style"), but I have no idea where to start or what to choose.

I usually look up tattoo shops in my area and they usually have their artists' galleries on there. I take a look through their stuff and decide if any of it fits my style or if I really like their style. I have a really simple star and lightning bolt Bowie tattoo that I got right after his death, and I just asked friends where to go, and there's a nice shop in my town that seems to be the "best one", so I went there and made an appt. It really depends on what I'm getting. I drove 2 hours for the artist I wanted for my back piece because of the color and shading involved. My first tattoo was just random though because I was 16 and we went to the nearest shop (I had parental permission and got matching script with my mom). 

Edit: and when it comes to cleanliness, it's hard to find a shop that isn't clean in this day and age. They'll get shut down at the first sight of a dirty needle. Just make sure to watch them take the needle out of the sealed packaging. Don't be afraid to ask them questions, either.

Also I know that a lot of people, once they find "their artist" will always go back to the same person.

Edited by Earth Gurl

i would love to get a tattoo when i have more money in the future

2 probably

1 related to my love for linkin park and another one probably with one of my fav quotes

maybe even a third , a quote in korean

Edited by KPOP

Right now I technically have three, though two of them are the front and back of my half sleeve. 

My first tattoo was the front part of my half sleeve. It's a tree with its roots wrapped around an open book, and the leaves are splashes of different colors (I was going for water color, but...well, it's not really water color. He tried lol) with shapes of animals hidden in the leaves. There's also a unicorn face coming out of the trunk. I was nervous at first because my parents kept telling me how much it hurt to get a tattoo (they have matching tattoos on their shoulders) but I ended up just reading a book for mine. :D Didn't really hurt at all. I think in total it was somewhere around 20+ hours? Maybe more. I lost track of time. I got it finished in 4-hour segments at a time. 

The second one was the underside of the half sleeve, all black and white. The bust of a stag with one part of its face a skull. There's a sun in its antlers and mountain/trees in the distance. THAT one hurt. I had to grip a stress ball in my hand the whole time otherwise it was pretty painful. Probably 12-16 hours for that one? 

Third is small. One of my rats passed away in May of last year, so I had paw prints of her made and then the prints were tattooed on my shoulder so it's like she's always sitting there with me. :) 

I don't have full pics of them now, but I'll upload some later. 

I'm going to start saving up for another here soon. Apparently there's someone in the area where I live now that does water color tattoos really well. I want to get a sketch-outline of a galloping unicorn and the watercolor to be its mane/tail. 

Edited by hazeh

Used to think of getting one before until life gets in the way. Might consider one in the future

I have always been so adamantly against tattoos, but in the last couple of years I've been more and more interested in them. :ph34r: I'm not sure I could actually get them myself (because 1) I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to pain, and 2) I feel like once you start you kind of have to keep going and I'd have to commit to a lot of them to get the sort of look that I like) but I'm really starting to dig them on other people. 

I'd be really curious to see some of yours, though! :D Not many people seem to post them. I love the one @Stromboli posted on the previous page, though. Looks great! 

I have a few tattoos, but don't share all of them. Both pics are from when they were rather fresh. I have three more slated to happen over the course of this year. My tiger was picked out by the kids when they were 2 and 4, it was the back up plan when the original idea couldnt work.Toby insisted it had to have blue eyes like his sister. Ten years later, the white ink in it still shows up! The racoon... isnt actually what I paid for, but im pretty thrilled with it, since it has been a pretty decent conversation starter (people who have never seen a raccoon tend to see a bird, or group of birds and it cracks me up every time).

SUQXbo8.jpg

n7m33rp.jpg

I also have this silly little weird chipmunk...skunk thing.. but that got destroyed by having babies and I havent cared to cover it up yet. My next tattoo will be fairly simple: little red riding hood walking through simplistic trees in the shape of a wolf on my forearm. I'm going to get lady sunset and sir foggbutt on my shoulder/back. My left calf will be getting a tree of life sleeve, based off the tree down in Orlando Disney (i want something where the more you look, the more you see, and the artist has been having fun with these ideas). 

I don't have any tattoos right now but I would like to get a tribal cat on my right leg and a wolf on my upper left shoulder also in a tribal design.  

I'm 71 and my first tattoo was while in Pearl Harbor in 2003 on a 'Tiger Cruise' with my oldest son on the USS Nimitz and my youngest son was there as well.  A Tiger Cruise is when a Navy ship is heading back to the States from a Gulf or WestPac deployment.  It stops in Pearl Harbor and if there is room aboard, it has been prearranged for some friends or family of sailors on board to join up and travel to the homeport along the West Coast.  My oldest son paid for my tattoo and we all got the same one on the left shoulder.  "Tiger Cruise Nov 03" A king of father sons bonding thing. I have never paid for a tattoo because my son became a tattoo artist.  I am a Ghibli Studio anime fan and have a tat of Totoro on one arm and one of a Kodama on the other.  These are on my forearms and on my left upper arm is one of 'Sumomo' from the "Chobits" anime.  On my right upper arm is the ships emblem from my first ship when I was in the Navy myself back in '64-68.  I just never got it then.  Beneath the emblem is the insignia of a Gunnersmate, my rating while in the Service. 

On 12/21/2019 at 11:34 PM, DOLPHIN232 said:

do you guys think spine tattoos hurt

Definitely. There isn't a lot of fat or muscle there. 

----

I am getting some new ones on the 16th, I am soooo excited. 

On 12/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, DOLPHIN232 said:

Everyone is different, mind you. Mine was uncomfortable, but not horrible. It's on my upper spine. I remember thinking 'why the **** did I agree to do this,' as soon as the needle touched me. Felt like dozens of tiny bees poking at me, but the saving grace was that the pain mostly dulled to a quiet ache when the artist was getting more ink every few seconds. Hahaha. But looking back, it wasn't that bad. It was a 2 hour tattoo due to detail and shading. The worst bit as the last 30 minutes. I'm absolutely in love with it, though. Best $300 I've spent.

Healing was tricky. I had to sleep on my stomach for awhile. It was't searing pain, but it was quite sore for a week or so if it got touched. I would wake up anytime I'd accidentally turn over. But I think that was only for the first couple of weeks. Bless my man. He'd forget sometimes and go in for a hug only for me to jump.

It's a sister tattoo. It's my favourite flower and her favourite. A red carnation for me (meaning love and affection) and a red dahlia for her (meaning power and strength). The stems are entwined as is our bond for one another. And no matter what, there is power and strength in our love. 

@Starscream That's amazing! xD 

tat.png

Edited by Evangeline

On 12/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, DOLPHIN232 said:

Everyone's different, but yes, in general, spine tattoos hurt. Pretty much anywhere the bone is close to the skin hurts more than well-padded areas. For me, my thighs hurt the least, then the shoulder blades, then the ankle, and the base of the spine hurt the worst.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, Evangeline said:

Everyone is different, mind you. Mine was uncomfortable, but not horrible. It's on my upper spine. I remember thinking 'why the **** did I agree to do this,' as soon as the needle touched me. Felt like dozens of tiny bees poking at me, but the saving grace was that the pain mostly dulled to a quiet ache when the artist was getting more ink every few seconds. Hahaha. But looking back, it wasn't that bad. It was a 2 hour tattoo due to detail and shading. The worst bit as the last 30 minutes. I'm absolutely in love with it, though. Best $300 I've spent.

Healing was tricky. I had to sleep on my stomach for awhile. It was't searing pain, but it was quite sore for a week or so if it got touched. I would wake up anytime I'd accidentally turn over. But I think that was only for the first couple of weeks. Bless my man. He'd forget sometimes and go in for a hug only for me to jump.

It's a sister tattoo. It's my favourite flower and her favourite. A red carnation for me (meaning love and affection) and a red dahlia for her (meaning power and strength). The stems are entwined as is our bond for one another. And no matter what, there is power and strength in our love. 

@Starscream That's amazing! xD 

tat.png

Wow that's beautiful!!

5 hours ago, DOLPHIN232 said:

Wow that's beautiful!!

Thank you! :3 

Do you have some? 

I finally got the courage to get one of my many dragons tattooed on my arm by another artist! I am very happy but was chicken knowing my artwork would be permanently on me XD Drew this on my iPad Pro #Procreate The tattoo artist altered my work a bit and line art but I’m still happy.

BBC2BC7A-78CB-4F1E-BD2D-5BCF319EBBC7.jpeg

My current tattoos! I'm a lifelong SpongeBob fan and I also loved my cat Garfield so much I got him on me permanently 😄

Spoiler

60809349_2081144598680831_1651025573641715712_n.jpg.715e9393205bd56c902be7411259fd8e.jpg60991690_2081144628680828_4724787771644837888_n.jpg.70b0046d87a10651e6d70265985825b8.jpg66765560_2178757345586222_5065979316509081600_n.thumb.jpg.3592367b9ad46dfff75d433b88952f18.jpg

I have two! My very first one is zero from nightmare before christmas. I got it during an event called barks, brews, and tattoos I also adopted a puppy there xD. My second tattoo is head silhouettes of Axel, Roxas, and Xion. I got them both done from my boyfriend's nephew he owns a tattoo parlor 🙂 

67260192_2996317727062385_2618165149713825792_o.jpg

69898793_3255224687838353_1125732338693570560_o.jpg

Edited by Pestilence420

I've got a couple at this point. One of them I can't show without partially undressing so won't be showing it here, but it's a tribalesque blackwork sea turtle with the Old Republic crest from Star Wars as the shell. Then (not recommended) I have a couple of stick-n-pokes: an Aries symbol on my wrist and Saturn with three stars on my ring finger.JtzL5-wTy1sOnbZVsVHuYzHZJHrJKXzawRl_HFaD

_LFbz39WfP92uIJMS0HDYXtkDJ7BVLiq5o15IJVY