Umbreonage

Badge (and Trophy) Suggestion Thread

Akrona Posted on May 19 2010, 11:05 PM

While it would be cool, there is a pretty significant problem with that, and that is people will use it to draw genitalia and upload it.

Never underestimate human ingenuity when it comes to drawing penises on things.

This is a good point. On my Wii, I still come across Miis with genitalia edited onto their faces while looking around on the Check Mii Out Channel.

Edit 1: Dang. New page, had to edit the quote in.

Edit 2: Huh? Oops used the wrong Quote.

Edited by Lightstorm12000

While it would be cool, there is a pretty significant problem with that, and that is people will use it to draw genitalia and upload it.

Never underestimate human ingenuity when it comes to drawing ***** on things.

Of course, it would have to be Moderator Approved before it was used. I would love to be able to do something like this.

I want to bump this up. I for one think there are some really good ideas in here, and that badges are being released incredibly slowly. I would like some new badges that can be obtained year-round. Right now we have a grand total of two that are continuously available.

I like the idea for some ofthese, but I feel that badges shouldn't be over done. They should be pleasant little surprises, not sometimes to cry over. Some of the easier ones I like, like a badge for how many years you've been active on DC. TJ could make it from the date of the first dragon. I mean, the Magikarp badge takes awhile to get, but anyone can do it if they have a goldfish dragon.

Some of the dragon achievements seems superfluous though. The point is to collect the dragons.. not to collect the dragons to get a badge saying you collected them.. seems redundant..anyway that's my 2 cents.

I'd go for more badges like the Beat the Heat one, although none have come out since it did...

The point is to collect the dragons...

Yeah, this, pretty much. More badges would be nice, but not an overload, not for every release...

This was made as another thread IIRC, but it's sort of badge-like so I'll bring it up - an Easter-egg like basket for eggs, to collect egg sprites.

I KNOW there's a thread, lemme... Ah... http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=104880

I'd love to see more badges! Hm, my thoughts on the suggested ones (just to toss my two cents in):

~A badge for every non-event, non-retired dragon (no neglected, no zombie)

-Has an upgraded version for having every single dragon

Meh. How will it be handled when new dragons are added to the cave? Doesn't seem very practical...

~A badge for having a sprite on the site (artist badge)
wub.gif DO IT!

~Badges for having 20/50/100 of a particular type of dragon
How would this work? Would you get one for each dragon that you have that amount of? It could be interesting, but I could also see it causing a lot of clutter. Maybe?

~A badge for having 100 frozen dragons

~A badge for having no frozen dragons

~A badge for having every species of dragon frozen (see suggestion 1?)

My thoughts on these are all the same. 1) It would bother me that I couldn't collect every badge out there, and 2) I think opinions on freezing vary enough that it could cause some controversy. I wouldn't be against these if they were added, but I'm not going to advocate for them, either.

~A badge for having every holiday dragon
Just what we need, even MORE incentive to get a Holly. xd.png That said, I love it! I'd love to have one of these on my scroll. The only question is, would the badge go away if you miss a holiday? (And then come back the next year if you get a 2nd gen?) Seems a bit complicated.

~A badge for having a (or every) very rare kind of dragon (neglected, zombie(?), humboldt(?))
...What is a humboldt? (Oh, my thoughts on the badge? Sure, why not?)

~A badge for having a "set" of dragons (all trios, all dinos, all season, all stripes, etc)
Sure! Though again, how would it handle more dragons being added to the site? Wouldn't affect trios, stripes, seasonals, but what about something like metallics?

~A badge for having a certain number of approved descriptions
YES! DO IT! wub.gif

~A badge signifying each holiday event you've taken part in
Eh, I don't really like this one. It's a bit redundant, for one thing -- there are already badges for the Festival of Eggs and Trick or Treating. What are you going to do, get two badges for those holidays?

~A badge for site donators
Doesn't matter what I think of it, because the Powers That Be have already said it's never going to happen. See the Donation Meter thread for more details.

~Badges for hitting milestones in membership to DC (1 year, 2 years, etc)
I love this idea!

~A badge for celebrating DC's anniversary
When is it and how do I celebrate it? Should make the qualifications a bit more clear.

~A badge for breeding a certain number of times (Or having a dragon with x children)
Like a Top Breeder badge or something? Sure, why not?

~A badge for a certain number of dragons from the AP.
How would this work, exactly? Will the site know the difference between a dragon specifically from the AP and one that you bred yourself, or one that happen to be CB even though you grabbed it from the AP? Also, I think this shouldn't be implemented until Teleport is put into place. If I'm specifically arranging a trade, I'm not exactly rescuing the dragon from the AP, am I?

And finally, my suggestions!

A trophy for having 1000+ dragons? It could be a platinum or diamond trophy, perhaps?

Badge for having a Forum account? Not sure how it would work, exactly, given that not everyone has the same name on their account as on their scroll. By e-mail, perhaps?

An active user badge? It would disappear if you don't have any new dragons after a certain amount of time. This would be very useful for lineages and other organizations that have waiting lists.

Edited by Danne

Not sure on getting a badge for being a forum member, as a lot of people have different scroll and forum names because they don't want people to be able to find them on the forum, so it just seems to defeat the purpose if someone can look at a scroll and then go scrounge the forum for the person. ;3

I pretty much agree with everything else you've said, though. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

As badges go. i dont thinmk astists need them on the site. (I do love you guys) They have their leetle badge here and they gets creds on te pages.

As for every holiday dragon. Im a tad iffy. Not everyone can be on for every holiday, and not to mention the fact that some are very rare (Holly) and very hard to obtain. It may cause some hurt feelings.

A badge for every frozen dragon...eh. I think that honestly would hurt some feelings. As some people dont like freezing and some dont like freezing holiday dragons.

A badge for every frozen dragon...eh. I think that honestly would hurt some feelings. As some people dont like freezing and some dont like freezing holiday dragons.

At least to me, a badge like that should exclude holidays and retired dragons. No badge should be unobtainable by those who joined past X date. Though a badge like that still presents the problem of new releases. Do you lose the badge if a new dragon is release? For now you don't have every dragon available.

If there's a badge for frozen hatchlings, I'd rather it be x number of them, like getting the badge for having a certain number of dragons is. Although frozen hatchlings are included in that, so it seems a little odd to have a seperate one for hatchies, but then also have them included in the 50/200/500 trophy badge.

/rambley

Not sure on getting a badge for being a forum member, as a lot of people have different scroll and forum names because they don't want people to be able to find them on the forum, so it just seems to defeat the purpose if someone can look at a scroll and then go scrounge the forum for the person. ;3

I pretty much agree with everything else you've said, though. :3

Yeah, it was just a random thought that popped into my head. ^_^; I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not, but no harm in suggesting it, right?

If there's a badge for frozen hatchlings, I'd rather it be x number of them, like getting the badge for having a certain number of dragons is. Although frozen hatchlings are included in that, so it seems a little odd to have a seperate one for hatchies, but then also have them included in the 50/200/500 trophy badge.

I agree, that does seem odd. Why should they get to count twice?

Edited by Danne

~Badges for hitting milestones in membership to DC (1 year, 2 years, etc)

I'd go for a badge that changes every year, like the bronze/silver/gold trophy.

If not a badge, I'd at least like a note saying when the account was first created. It's a pain rummaging through someone's dragons to find the oldest one, and what if they've hidden their adults?

...What is a humboldt?

Humboldt = Guardian of Nature = Summoned

~A badge for site donators

That would make it buying the badge, and not donating to the site.

That would make it buying the badge, and not donating to the site.

Yeah, that one's already been shot down by TJ. There won't be any perks for donating, not even just a badge.

The only suggestion I have to add is maybe something like a "First Step" badge? After raising your first hatchling to an adult, you get a special commemorative icon. Nothing too particular, but just something to celebrate.

Personally, I think it's something noteworthy. Everyone is proud after their first success.

I like the idea of having a badge for each type of dragon you've collected, but if we do, we should put them in a "badge basket" like the halloween or easter baskets. This would keep them from clogging up the badge row.

If we starting getting a lot of event badges, like the "Beat the Heat" badge, then we should get a badge basket for those as well.

Just my 2c

... a badge for each kind of dragon you've collected? Isn't that just, well, a dupe of collecting the dragon itself? You already got it, why do you need a badge saying you got it?

How about a badge to show "I have a scroll" and "I have a forum account" and "I know how to catch eggs on the cave" and "I know how to raise an egg to adulthood without killing it"? Where does it end???

The run to get badges will add too much stress and competition to the game, and it will end up being less fun and more like a job where you have to achieve your "targets". For some DC addicts who are very particular (even OCD) about the number of dragons that they usually collect of each species, and for those who don't collect specific types (like chickens & dinos) and for those who don't freeze, it will be a real struggle whether to try and go for the badge or hold on to the personal preference and sanity.

Edited by lanette

If we starting getting a lot of event badges, like the "Beat the Heat" badge, then we should get a badge basket for those as well.

I like this.

I think it would be awesome if for christmas we had a stocking to keep "ornaments" in.

I think it would be awesome if for christmas we had a stocking to keep "ornaments" in.

oh now that would be cute! Or if we had little "stocking stuffers" to pick up around the site like the Halloween treats.