Umbreonage

Badge (and Trophy) Suggestion Thread

Id rather not have one for every event egg. It excludes new players. Its like laughing in their face "HAHA you wernt here early enough so now you cant get ___" Honestly. Just plain mean.

Id rather not have one for every event egg. It excludes new players. Its like laughing in their face "HAHA you wernt here early enough so now you cant get ___" Honestly. Just plain mean.

It's an upgrade to the basic " every non-limited dragon" egg and is not at all like laughing in their faces. Notice that leetle trees are not included, because they can't breed. All other holiday dragons can bred, and thus are obtainable at some point in the year, and fairly easily. Gifting and breeding threads for past holidays always pop up before the time comes. Even then, you can still make it to the jasper egg without ever getting a holiday, though that route is harder.

It's an upgrade to the basic " every non-limited dragon" egg and is not at all like laughing in their faces. Notice that leetle trees are not included, because they can't breed. All other holiday dragons can bred, and thus are obtainable at some point in the year, and fairly easily. Gifting and breeding threads for past holidays always pop up before the time comes. Even then, you can still make it to the jasper egg without ever getting a holiday, though that route is harder.

Hollies are easily obtained? Wow thats a new one

Are we 200% sure pumpkins will breed other pumpkins?

No.

It's a fairly safe assumption, Whispyr. And if we're wrong on that, and pumpkins can't breed pumpkins on Halloween, then the badges can be changed.

And Hollies are easier to get than they used to be.

Maybe having a badge for having a certain amount of named dragons, or naming all your dragons.

I thought it should be if there were to be a badge for a certain # of descriptions approved.

Maybe a badge for never having an egg die.

One for never having a hatchling die.

One for a certain # of dead eggs.

Same with hatchlings.

A badge for breeding golds, silvers, geodes, successfully or together a certain deal of times (optional: without inbreeding).

For producing a certain # of eggs of a certain species (namely rares or uber rares)

One for having an uber rare.

Many others I can think of, but I'm not going to post them till later.

I don't really like the idea of badges in general. As has been mentioned, whether it's intended to or not, it puts pressure on people to get them. I think the cave is already challenging enough--getting that certain CB you want can be a rigorous undertaking lately--without making people feel inadequate about their scrolls for not having met the conditions to earn a certain commendation. But then, even trophies seemed unnecessary to me.

I don't really like the idea of badges in general. As has been mentioned, whether it's intended to or not, it puts pressure on people to get them. I think the cave is already challenging enough--getting that certain CB you want can be a rigorous undertaking lately--without making people feel inadequate about their scrolls for not having met the conditions to earn a certain commendation. But then, even trophies seemed unnecessary to me.

Despite my kind of support for badges, I kind of agree on this subject.

It also relates to the idea of 'achievements' on the Xbox series. It's a bit, silly, how people obsess over achievements that truly don't mean much in the real world. It's also sad for those who spend so much time getting them.

Then again, at least they have a goal they're reaching for!

Though, I also feel bad for those who don't meet a dead line, and feel inadequate.

I wasn't here for any major events except the recent easter egg hunt. The fact that I don't know what happened "pokemon night" depresses me deeply and the fact that even if I did know I still MISSED it. Having trophies/badges/achievements for any of the dragon releases or special event just depresses me even more knowing that I could never even DREAM of getting it.

I just thought of a few people would love.

a "I survived the lagmonster badge"

a "I survived the datamonster badge"

a "I survived the APmonster badge"

TT^TT I wasn't there for any of those events TT^TT

O think Leetle trees shouldn't bve included at all, they were too hard to obtain when released and saw the most limited release amongst the cave, added with the impossiblity to obtain another since release... :-/

Edited by Geobreeder

I'm really not fussed on the whole badge thing. If they're there, fine. If they're not, fine.

I do however support the idea of a badge for in-cave artists. Just something special to show they've played an important part in DC.

Otherwise...meh. I'm not going to get all annoyed and huffed up about it, I think the trophies also look nice. But as for badges commemorating whether you've caught certain holiday dragons-I don't really like this. It'd be better to perhaps have a badge saying you were on Drag Cave for this or that event, like a 'Valentines 2010' badge or something, whether you caught a holiday egg or not. Then newer players may not feel inadequete, because they know it's just a marker of time and they'll get one some day too.

Creating a badge unobtainable for users who came late is just asking for drama, which will inevitably end in people yelling at others to be grateful and be quiet since so much effort went into creating these badges.

It's hard enough for newcomers that they cannot get retired dragons anymore; a badge that requires those dragons is not a very friendly thing. It maybe would be different if a mutually exclusive Badge B for users who cannot obtain Badge A is created, working like:

Full scroll = Badge A

Full scroll minus the retired dragons/Leetle Tree = Badge B

Badge B would still take time and effort, yet from the point of that scroll have everything that is obtainable regarding availability. Don't make unobtainable badges for one part of the players while other can get all.

Edited by Rally Vincent

Badges just also seem superfluous to me. Why do we need badge for our scrolls denoting whether or not we have a kind of dragon? Isn't the whole point of a scroll to show what dragons we have anyway? It's like, I don't see the point of having anything on my scroll advertising that I have a tree since the tree itself shows that it's there.

Having a badge that says "I caught X number of this kind of dragon!" just seems negated by the fact a visitor would otherwise just scroll down and see you have that kind of dragon. XD

I'm just throwing this out there because I've seen several people requesting the ability to freeze eggs on their scrolls like we can with hatchlings so they are able to collect their favorite egg sprites/all egg sprites for scroll completion.

How about a separate badge for each type of dragon? Each would be a miniature version of the egg sprite so it wouldn't take up as much space (We have about 50 different types of dragons at this point I think).

Or if that would still be way too cluttered, perhaps we can have something like the Easter Egg basket that would lead to a page containing an egg sprite of all the dragon types we've successfully raised on our scrolls. The link to the page itself would be the egg sprite of the dragon most common on the scroll or can be the scroll keeper's favorite egg sprite as long as they have one of the dragons on their scroll.

As an added bonus, maybe the egg sprite could start out as a shattered pile of eggshell (that you collected after the dragon hatched) and can slowly be pieced back together as you collect more of that type of dragon on your scroll. It can be something like 1 dragon = shattered pile, 5 dragons = half done/dead egg sprite, and 10 dragons = whole egg sprite.

Most of this is rehashed and combined versions of things I've read elsewhere, so I'm sorry if everything here has already been suggested. I've been a bit loopy since yesterday. xd.png;

I'm just throwing this out there because I've seen several people requesting the ability to freeze eggs on their scrolls like we can with hatchlings so they are able to collect their favorite egg sprites/all egg sprites for scroll completion.

How about a separate badge for each type of dragon? Each would be a miniature version of the egg sprite so it wouldn't take up as much space (We have about 50 different types of dragons at this point I think).

Or if that would still be way too cluttered, perhaps we can have something like the Easter Egg basket that would lead to a page containing an egg sprite of all the dragon types we've successfully raised on our scrolls. The link to the page itself would be the egg sprite of the dragon most common on the scroll or can be the scroll keeper's favorite egg sprite as long as they have one of the dragons on their scroll.

As an added bonus, maybe the egg sprite could start out as a shattered pile of eggshell (that you collected after the dragon hatched) and can slowly be pieced back together as you collect more of that type of dragon on your scroll. It can be something like 1 dragon = shattered pile, 5 dragons = half done/dead egg sprite, and 10 dragons = whole egg sprite.

Most of this is rehashed and combined versions of things I've read elsewhere, so I'm sorry if everything here has already been suggested. I've been a bit loopy since yesterday. xd.png;

There are good and bad things with this. Good people would get to keep eggy sprites. Bad there are some eggs that people can't get because of retirement of certain dragons. Though I don't mind this as much because they have the old pinks and might want to keep the sprite for that egg. I particularly find that egg sprite plain and wouldn't want it anyway. Unlike your trophies where they would look absolutely awesome and I would want to get it and wouldn't be able to because certain dragons are retired. The difference is that I don't think that everybody would be obliged to get the egg sprites and wouldn't feel as bad for not being able to get them.

The problem I see with this is that you can only get two holiday dragons. I personally like the scale-like badges someone posted a link to earlier. As for badges being implemented in general I like the idea, but don't mind much either way. The badges I've seen pics of so far look totally awesome though.

There are good and bad things with this. Good people would get to keep eggy sprites. Bad there are some eggs that people can't get because of retirement of certain dragons. Though I don't mind this as much because they have the old pinks and might want to keep the sprite for that egg. I particularly find that egg sprite plain and wouldn't want it anyway. Unlike your trophies where they would look absolutely awesome and I would want to get it and wouldn't be able to because certain dragons are retired. The difference is that I don't think that everybody would be obliged to get the egg sprites and wouldn't feel as bad for not being able to get them.

Yeah, being unable to collect the retired eggs would suck for collectors as much as being unable to collect the dragons themselves, but there's not really much anyone can do about it. sad.gif As for trophies, I would also rather not have a trophy or badge be introduced that required owning a retired dragon or leetletree. Doing that would be extremely unfair to new users who already have to deal with the reality of never owning a retired dragon.

The problem I see with this is that you can only get two holiday dragons. I personally like the scale-like badges someone posted a link to earlier. As for badges being implemented in general I like the idea, but don't mind much either way. The badges I've seen pics of so far look totally awesome though.

Oh, I must have missed the link while I was skimming through this post. They are very pretty! Maybe they can all appear in the badge/trophy section (perhaps with a counter in the alt text that states how many of that type are on the scroll), and the egg sprite collection can be completely separate from it with one egg as the link to a different page?

As for the holiday dragons, maybe bred eggs can also count toward the total required for the complete egg sprite, which would doubly encourage users to breed them every holiday season for new players to collect? Either that or the two raised dragons would be enough for the complete sprite. (And as for the retired dragons, having just one should be enough for the sprite--we can assume that the retired dragon bred an infertile egg of its own breed one day.)

It also makes the game feel a little... well, I'm blanking on the term, but like in Neopets and Subeta... I don't want DC to turn into something like that. The trophies are fine, since it's just dragon collecting, but "achievements" doesn't feel like it fits as well. What about people who hoard one type? Who play casually?

If they play casually, they probably don't care enough about the site to try and get a small badge icon anyhow.

And the trophies ARE achievements, congrats, you're not a complete noob anymore (50), congrats your scroll is getting big (200), congrats your scroll is massive (500). x3

Edited by res13sep

I don't like the idea of badges in the first place, but especially not the opal one. I was here for the leetle tree drops, which were very small in number, very competitive, and plagued with lag. I still beat myself up that I couldn't get one, and having it rubbed in my face that I didn't is just adding insult to injury.

I also don't think that there should be a badge for in-cave artists. Having your art deemed to be cave-worthy should be honor enough in and of itself.

Plus, I am an OCD collector of sorts, and having badges that conflict with each other would bother me, as I wouldn't be able to have both.

I really like the idea of having a badge for taking (and raising to adulthood!) eggs from the AP. It would require considerable effort on the part of the user. It would also encourage people to collect eggs from the AP, eggs that might be inbred or probably won't have any sort of fancy lineage. "DC Rescuer" or something like that could work.

As for having badges for particularly rare breeds of dragons... well, isn't having the dragon itself enough of a reward? rolleyes.gif They don't give out gold stars to people who win the lottery.

Edited by orcachick2005

"Generic" badges like number of dragons (as we have) sound good, for reasons stated... I like the AP adoption idea, but how would that be coded/tracked?

What comes to mind for me on that is checking whether the egg is CB or bred, and whether it's been bred from dragons you have... But then, there are CB eggs in the AP at times, so it's not perfect...

As for in-cave artists, don't they already have the little palette thing on the forums?

I'm not such a huge fan of the separate badge for each species thing, it seems kind of redundant. If I have the dragon, I don't quite see the use of having a badge for it. And I don't really think there should be a badge for never having a dead dragon, because the system doesn't keep track that far back, and biting and neglected experiments mean that deaths sometimes happen.

The leetle tree as a frozen egg has always confused me a bit. It's not an egg; it's a tree. And it's about the right size too. Instead of including the tree as a species, why not just make the tree itself a badge? People who currently have a leetle tree as a frozen egg would just have it sitting atop their scroll as a badge instead.

The leetle tree as a frozen egg has always confused me a bit. It's not an egg; it's a tree. And it's about the right size too. Instead of including the tree as a species, why not just make the tree itself a badge? People who currently have a leetle tree as a frozen egg would just have it sitting atop their scroll as a badge instead.

Because a leetle tree-egg is just silly, that's why.

I'm not such a huge fan of the separate badge for each species thing, it seems kind of redundant. If I have the dragon, I don't quite see the use of having a badge for it. And I don't really think there should be a badge for never having a dead dragon, because the system doesn't keep track that far back, and biting and neglected experiments mean that deaths sometimes happen.

I agree. Why have specific badges for individual species? All you've got to do is scroll down...

Still, I quite like the idea of groups. All seasonals, The Trio, Stripes, Metallics....those could make awesome badges.