smokeytripod

anybody into piercings?

My parents took me and my sister to get our ears pierced when we were very little, and I kinda like it because I can wear earrings, but having piercings. I don't know where I'd put them and what they'd look like. No, thanks. smile.gif

My nose is pierced (stud). I don't have earrings anymore, and my belly button piercing grew over as well. Overall, I prefer tattoos. I have metal allergies, so I can never get the really cute body jewelry, anyway.

I'm super into piercings, haha. I have two eyebrow piercings, my nose, and my ears. I used to have my lip pierced as well, but I took it out because my girlfriend complained too much haha. I'm planning on getting my helix (upper ear) pierced some time soon, and I've considered the belly button a couple times, though i don't think I will because I don't have the proper belly for it.

I wanted to get my tongue pierced but my girlfriend thinks those are trashy and gets all offended when I say I want one. tongue.gif

I wish I could get a bunch of eyebrow piercings because those are my favorite haha. Maybe some day I'll get one on the other eyebrow...

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

What kind of research do you guys do to make sure a piercing place is actually good/reputable?

casually bumps this question because i'm considering a nose piercing

i have some friends with piercings. half of them had bad/less than perfect experiences getting pierced and the other half...had a girl pierce them in the school cafeteria bathroom. so it's going to be challenging for me to get advice from friends lol

but i do want a nose piercing, the types that are like a stud/jewel on one side. i looove them but i'm just having some anxiety about the possibility of pain. my pain tolerance is pretty average but my anxiety really escalates any anticipation of pain :/ don't want to let it stop me from getting pierced though!

Edited by glamoursea2

Due to my school, I can't get any more piercings than earlobe, but as soon as I finish, I'm getting my nose done, as well as a few helix on my right ear, and conch on my left. As for reputable piercing places, I always ask what they use to sterilise their equipment, and their procedures. For example, for getting my helix done, if a place wanted to use a gun, i'd go somewhere else. Never be afraid to walk out and go someplace else.

What kind of research do you guys do to make sure a piercing place is actually good/reputable?

Check out the piercing company you want to use. Look them up online, search for feedback, go in and talk to them.

*ask to see their sterilization equipment (they should use an autoclave, anything else is unacceptable)

*ask to see spore test results from the autoclave, they should keep recent results and be willing to show you (spore tests tell you if the autoclave is working correctly therefore sterilizing as it should) - some places actually have a little strip that goes in with your jewelry and turns color if it sterilized properly so you can see right away that it is working

*ask and watch to see how they set up for a piercing -- they should wash their hands, get gloves on, all the equipment should be in individual sealed packages, you should see them open them

*do they provide detailed aftercare instructions? (read this BEFORE you get your piercings) Taken from another site: If it tells you to treat your piercing with harsh soap, ointment, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide, the studio is not keeping up with industry standards.

*is the studio well kept and clean?

*do they have a license?

*check out their portfolio

*they should never ever be using a piercing gun, they can't be sterilized properly

*are you comfortable with who you are thinking of using?

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps. biggrin.gif

Edited by littleblackdog

Check out the piercing company you want to use. Look them up online, search for feedback, go in and talk to them.

*ask to see their sterilization equipment (they should use an autoclave, anything else is unacceptable)

*ask to see spore test results from the autoclave, they should keep recent results and be willing to show you (spore tests tell you if the autoclave is working correctly therefore sterilizing as it should) - some places actually have a little strip that goes in with your jewelry and turns color if it sterilized properly so you can see right away that it is working

*ask and watch to see how they set up for a piercing -- they should wash their hands, get gloves on, all the equipment should be in individual sealed packages, you should see them open them

*do they provide detailed aftercare instructions? (read this BEFORE you get your piercings) Taken from another site: If it tells you to treat your piercing with harsh soap, ointment, alcohol, or hydrogen peroxide, the studio is not keeping up with industry standards.

*is the studio well kept and clean?

*do they have a license?

*check out their portfolio

*they should never ever be using a piercing gun, they can't be sterilized properly

*are you comfortable with who you are thinking of using?

That's all I can think of right now. Hope that helps. biggrin.gif

This is a great list, thank you very much!

Piercing guns shouldn't be used period, specially in places where there is cartilage (helix piercings, lips, nose, eyebrows etc) as it can and will shatter the cartilage.

But other than that, if you get a piercing, make sure to keep it clean and don't pick at it. If it gets infected, do NOT take the ring/bar out. This can make the wound seal up, and the pus/blood inside has nowhere to escape, so it swells and spreads to the area around the wound. Keep the piercing in so that the infection can drain out without any worries. Make sure to wash your piercing with warm (not hot!) water with sea salt (not iodised, that can worsen the infection) to help disinfect and clean it.

littleblackdog's list is A+ though, those are the things you should check for when you want a piercing. Just remember to think it through though! Piercings besides the lobe are painful and will be painful for a while. My ear was sore for 3 months after I got my helix before it eased a little, and only now 18 months later is it painless.

Yes, I want snake bites and an eyebrow piercing. Honestly, I really like piercings... That, and unique hairstyles.

Yes,I really love piercings.I am planning on getting some soon in my elbows and ears.

I really like piercings, but I would rather not got them anywhere other than my ears, since I don't really like to take risks or anything ohmy.gif

Snakebite piercings look so cool and I would love to have them, but I don't plan on getting them... Like ^ I'd probably only get ear piercings to spare my anxiety.

My sister came down for a visit and made an appointment for me. I finally got my eyebrow pierced! I did bleed a bit during the piercing but haven't experienced any swelling. The top ball has come unscrewed twice now. Super frustrating getting it back on, but I've managed. I love being able to look up in the corner of my eye and see the little flash of silver. It's very calming/grounding. I love it so much, I'm definitely gonna go for my nose sometime.

I also toyed with a lip piercing or two but I read they can wear on your teeth, and I really don't want that, so none for me. D:

In my culture it is common to have babies ears pierced. So I had mine pierced when I was a baby. I got a second piercing on my left ear when I was 16.

I have my ears pierced, and I really want some more ear piercings.

I have no piercings xd.png My mom thinks it bad for anyone to have piercings in places other than your usual earrings area.

My ear skin is thick and chubby >.> if it got pierced it would probably hurt more than usual xd.png

What do they do when you're going to get a piercing...? I'm curious.

I don't have any piercings. I'm not really sure why, I just...never did it. xd.png I always remember everyone in middle school getting their ears pierced and I was just like "lol no."

I like piercings though. One day I'll probably get my ears pierced, and I'd like at least 2 on each ear. I have no idea when that'll happen though...Maybe when I turn 18 and get my first tattoo. rolleyes.gif

What do they do when you're going to get a piercing...? I'm curious.

Clean it, pinch it, stick a needle through it.

~

My second eyebrow piercing is doing great. I've changed barbels a few times. Didn't realize some of the ones I bought were plastic. I've actually twisted them on so tight, I've just cracked them. =_=

My first eyebrow piercing, which migrated, is nearly healed. I definitely want to go get it repierced when I can. I really liked how two together looked. ^^

I don't have a problem with piercings, although I only have one in each ear. That's just my personal style.

But what I will never understand is piercings in the, uh, sensitive nether area. On both genders. Seriously, don't people realize how important that sensitivity is?

I know several people who got them when we were all young, cause that was what was "cool" but now regret them because of, well, lack of enjoyment during "funtime". They just ruined themselves.

So, body piercings are fine, but for your own sake, not "down there". Not worth it, kids.

ahhh piercings. i really love body mods of all sorts. i currently have my earlobes pierced once on each side and my cartilage pierced once on each side, and a labret that i got in june. i'd really like to get my lobes pierced a few more times, and i've been mulling on an eyebrow, but they're really temporary piercings and i'm not sure if i have the energy to deal with it. :b

fun story: my mom pierced her ears three times when she was in high school, but now the holes are all wonky and small so she has a hard time wearing earrings. :/ go to professionals, kids.

and a picture of my labret, on the day i got it, actually. i love opal. rolleyes.gif

user posted image

I have my ears pierced and soon stretched and I'm also hoping to get an industrial soon. I'd like spiderbites and a nose ring as well, but I'm gonna wait for a while before getting them. I'm not sure if this counts but I have a small stick and poke tattoo on my ankle as well,

Edited by KuukiKiller