smokeytripod

anybody into piercings?

Not meaning to start an arguement here, but I think that piercings are against the Lord, as he designed our bodies, and we put more holes in them.

Actually....I was in a debate with a religious zealot relative recently, and upon some googling, found several pieces of scripture that dispute that notion.

(I should note, I am not religious. I do not believe in God. I have no idea the context of these particular quotes, but they were from a Christian site that discusses this very topic)

In Ezekiel 16, God speaks to Israel as if the country were his bride. He says, “I adorned you with ornaments: I put bracelets on your arms, a chain on your neck, a ring on your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown upon your head (Verses 11-12).”

In fact, God encourages body piercing in Exodus 21:5-6. If a slave loved his master so much that he wanted to become part of the family, the Scripture says, His master shall bring him before God. He shall be brought to the door or the doorpost; and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him for life.”

In Genesis 24, we read the story of Abraham’s servant seeking a bride for Isaac. When he tells Rebecca’s father about how he met the young woman, he says, that the Lord brought them together. “So I put the ring on her nose, and the bracelets on her arms. Then I bowed my head and worshiped the LORD (Verses 47-48).”

Regardless, my piercing my body harms no one. I have no qualms about body modification, even when I was a Christian, some years ago. We commit far worse sins against others to worry about wearing earrings barring our way to the pearly gates.

JMO, of course. smile.gif

Edited by danegrrrl

Just one in each ear. I'm too chicken to get more.

Besides it would be tricky since if it's not gold any other type of earring has to come off in a few hours (12 tops if it's silver) because my ears start hurting.

My mom taught me values, so only the usual ear piercings. I think any more and it just looks disgusting and needy.

My mom taught me values, so only the usual ear piercings. I think any more and it just looks disgusting and needy.

Wow. That's pretty offensive.

It's okay if it's not your thing, but to imply that those that do like piercings weren't taught values or look disgusting and needy is REALLY offensive.

My mom taught me values, and I have piercings. Personally, I don't think values and piercings are related that strongly to be mentioned the way you said it.

You can say the last part nicely, by the way. Just say you're not into piercings instead of saying they look disgusting. It's something people can start an argument about and get feelings hurt.

I have one on each lobe, but i'd really like another pierce on the upper part of my left ear. I first got my ears pierced when I was 6, so it was around 8 years ago^^

I like the look of upper ear piercings and kinda snake bites, but I'm a wuss who's stupidly sensitive to pain. >_> Plus I don't think I'd look good with them. Even my ears aren't pierced.

But still, I do like those two for some reason. owo;

Edited by Switch

I have piercings and love them!

I have two lobe piercings per ear, and my left ear has two cartilage piercings.

I also have my right eyebrow pierced and my septum.

My favorite is my septum, by far. I get a lot of compliments on it. xd.png

I had my ears pierced when I was younger... too lazy/don't care enough to wear earrings, though, so they've mostly healed over.

I think some piercings are ok (belly ones can look really nice at times) but I find nose/tongue/nipple rings to be really disgusting. My cousin got a nose ring and her dad now sometimes calls her "Taurus," which never ceases to make me giggle. Whenever she's at fancy events she flips it up to hide it in her nostrils, it's nasty X'D

There is a candy store near me that doesn't employ people who have facial piercings or tattoos. Some of the nicest people I have ever met have a little nose stud- I find nothing offensive about that.

I personally have no piercings of any kind. I love the way they look on people, but I hate getting vaccines- no way can I handle having holes in my skin. If I had a higher pain tolerance I definitely would though wink.gif

There is a candy store near me that doesn't employ people who have facial piercings or tattoos. Some of the nicest people I have ever met have a little nose stud- I find nothing offensive about that.

I think it's more about association then about the actual piercings. Think of it this way: who's more likely to have a ton of crazy piercings, an aggressive biker thug or someone's cute elderly grandma? I think we can all agree that the biker would. It's not that odd piercings or tattoos are in themselves bad, but rather that some infamous types of people have become strongly associated with them. If you're a little ma and pa store in the country, the last thing you want when you have customers coming is having your employees remind them of bad people.

I might get my ears pierced someday. I like snakebites too, but I'm terrified of pain and I kinda doubt I'd be able to go through with them. DX And if I got piercings like that, added to the fact I'm dyeing my hair soon, it could make it hard for me to get a job next year. DX

I might get my ears pierced someday. I like snakebites too, but I'm terrified of pain and I kinda doubt I'd be able to go through with them. DX And if I got piercings like that, added to the fact I'm dyeing my hair soon, it could make it hard for me to get a job next year. DX

You know that's what gets me. I don't see how tattoos, piercings or hair color really can affect or say if you are a productive worker or not. :/ Irritates the crap out of me about that.

I've been considering for a while now to get my ears pierced a third time. I cried both times I got them pierced and I have no clue how I'm gonna handle the third one if I do.

I don't mind piercings. I don't like an overload of piercings, like so many that there's more metal on your face than skin, ew, and I would never ever be able to get my tongue pierced or anything like that. I used to have my ears pierced but the holes have gone away now. I actually wouldn't mind a simple nose stud or anything, I think they're fine and are pretty subtle, but most other facial piercings I'd probably say no to. :/

Thats why my piercings are easily hidden. Besides my belly ring, i have a septum piercing. More commonly known as a bulls ring, its really easy to hide inside my nose. Some piercing are just harder to hide.

You know that's what gets me. I don't see how tattoos, piercings or hair color really can affect or say if you are a productive worker or not. :/ Irritates the crap out of me about that.

It's not about whether or not you can be a productive worker, it's about what customers associate your appearance with. Someone without odd piercings and fifty tattoos is a lot less likely to remind people of some of the more unpleasant groups in the world than someone that has more metal than skin and a tattoo of a demon on their eyelids. Clearly getting some odd piercings/tattoos =/= being a bad person, but the reality is that a lot of lousy sorts of people have become associated with them, and the last thing a business wants is for its employees to remind customers of negative things.

On girls I like Tragus piercings, on men nipple and those surface hip piercings. The hip piercings are much more popular on girls, I know, but I don't think they compliment the curvy shape of female hips. Same with the nipple piercings.

I only have holes in my earlobes though.

Any kind of nose and mouth piercings freak me out a little xd.png

I know what you mean and I agree, but I can't help and see the other side, too. My father is a jeweler and while it is true, that piercings are jewelry, I doubt a 50 something lady is going to buy expensive diamond earrings from someone covered in piercings. The styles don't match, they don't mix and the customer only spends money when he trusts the person he buys the things from.

Edited by blah

I had my ears pierced when I was too young to remember ( < 3 or 2 years old. ) so it wasn't "my decision" per-say, but I've stopped wearing them at age 6. The holes are still open even through all the time, which is good because I like the option.

I'm mainly pleased that I don't remember the hassle/pain, so good luck to whoever is thinking of getting some piercings. xd.png

I have several piercings >.< I have two in each ear, and a tongue ring... Anything else would probably freak me out a little but am thinking about getting a tattoo...

It's not about whether or not you can be a productive worker, it's about what customers associate your appearance with. Someone without odd piercings and fifty tattoos is a lot less likely to remind people of some of the more unpleasant groups in the world than someone that has more metal than skin and a tattoo of a demon on their eyelids. Clearly getting some odd piercings/tattoos =/= being a bad person, but the reality is that a lot of lousy sorts of people have become associated with them, and the last thing a business wants is for its employees to remind customers of negative things.

I should have used the word honest and not productive. I was half asleep when I typed that out. >_<

I have two on each ear. 'Course, I'm thirteen and it's not very legal for me to get any more. I don't really want any outside of the ears, though.

I have 3 in each ear. I kind of want to get more.

Maybe a belly button ring or a little nose stud.

I've always liked the idea of piercings more than tattoos or any other kind of body mods because you can change them or take them out as your tastes change.