calankh

Short Scroll link

This is different from hiding adults. Allow me to explain.

I like to browse people's dragons. It's neat to see what other people have collected, and names are often interesting if not hilarious. However, as my dragon collection expands it takes longer to load my scroll. Not much, but if I'm asking people to give my dragon babies views, I'd rather not inconvenience them if possible, and the time to load is only going to increase.

So, what I'm suggesting is a short scroll link. This could be something simple like http://dragcave.net/user/username/short that displays only the eggs and unfrozen hatchies that need views, similar to what is shown now from your main scroll link if you hide adults. But, the adults and frozen hatchlings would still be visible if you went to the normal scroll link.

I'm mainly thinking of this as useful for a site like Yarold's, but I'm sure it could be useful elsewhere.

Mainly, I'm looking for an option to minimize load time for getting views without having to hide my dragons.

Edited by calankh

I hide my adults, not because of the loading time, but because I integrate my eggs in with the adults. I don't like them hangin up there on top. And in order for me to get a quick view of what I have, what has hatched, and so on, I just click my username. So this is a great option. I approve.

<3 Lib

perhaps it could be a little...uhm...storage place for dragons...idk exactly how to explain this myself so sorry if i sound weird...

but what i mean is...perhaps each person could have a nursery that shows their unfrozen babies...just as a cute little side ^^'

so instead of the 'http://dragcave.net/user/username/short' it could be 'http://dragcave.net/user/username/nursury'

Isn't this basically what the "hide adults" option is for? To be able to have people look at your eggs without having to load your whole scroll.

Isn't this basically what the "hide adults" option is for? To be able to have people look at your eggs without having to load your whole scroll.

yes and no

When you have your adults hidden, no one can look at them. The OP is asking for a way to view eggs/hatchlings at first with an option to click another link to view the adults on a scroll.

example..

click someone's scroll link

scroll opens with just eggs/hatchlings showing

click 'full scroll' link on the 'short scroll'

scroll reopens showing all eggs/hatchlings/adults

Saves loading time, but still allows everyone to view adults if they want to. Rather than hiding adults so no one can see them at all.

Yes, exactly, Cinn. Thanks for explaining smile.gif

It's a small thing, and certainly not necessary. But it would be nice, I think, for those of us who don't want to hide our adults.

I don't particularly care what it's called, nursery or short scroll works for me.

Edited by calankh

I like it and I think calling it nursery is cute. smile.gif

I'm wondering how hard it would be to code though? All-in-all, I like this idea.

I completely agree that it would be wonderful to have a link or option that allows you to look at the "Full Scroll" that has a users entire dragon collection on it. I also enjoy looking at the dragon's and especially dragon names, on many "Dragon Collectors" Scrolls. However, I also like to use the "Hide Adults on Scroll" option under the "Account Settings", so I don't overburden anyone's computer with the massive number of images my scroll has.

Having a link to a full scroll that doesn't count towards the views, unique views or clicks might be easier to implement. I know a lot of collectors like to show off their dragons and I don't think they would object to a way to show them off, even if it doesn't get them clicks or views.

Just my 2 cents wink.gif

Having a link to a full scroll that doesn't count towards the views, unique views or clicks might be easier to implement. I know a lot of collectors like to show off their dragons and I don't think they would object to a way to show them off, even if it doesn't get them clicks or views.

Just my 2 cents wink.gif

Adults and frozen hatchlings no longer get views, so that's irrelevant. But the best part of this idea is reducing page load time for everyone. I won't go into my opinions about folk who hide their adults, but they do help reduce the pageload time for everyone.

But if you're like me and enjoy looking at others collections.. and showing off my own.. the ability to 'expand' a scroll view is a VERY good idea. If a 'short scroll' was the default, you get all the v/uv/c you need for your eggs/hatchlings.. reduce pageload times for everyone.. then you get that extra link to view a 'full scroll' and allow those who enjoy seeing all the dragons get their pleasure too.

the more I've been thinking about this, the more I like lib's reasoning too. I often wait to put dragons where they will belong on my scroll until after they grow up, so I can keep an eye on them. with this option I'd be able to move them when I know where they go.

Also, this could work with the pages/tabs idea, in that eggs/hatchies could get their own designated page. Though that would sort of nullify the sorting usefulness, but, such is life.

bumping this because we really need this. I like the scroll pages features, but it only helps people who are already members. I want to show off my scroll to non dc members but if they can't load the darned page are they even gonna want to join? We are encouraged to send our dragons out to non dc players and get them to join. But we can't because of huge scrolls crippling us. How are we supposed to get them to want to go to dc when they want to get out as fast as possible because of the crazy lag

Great suggestion calankh!! As an admin at yarolds, I must say, some of those scrolls are massive (allthough nice!) & take quite a bit to load. No doubt a strain on both DC & yarolds servers as well as viewers PC's.

As a side note to those reading this, their are no longer timers on Dragcave links at yarolds to make getting your views faster & easier (if the scrolls can load up fast enough)

The game will be alot.png easier and more capable the handle i agree with the above, I understand peeps like to show the scrolls but its lagging alot.png, i remember the Halloween week it was a disaster to load, maybe this above advise will make it easier.

~eccoshop~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I like this idea!!

What if (maybe an idea) there could be a link to your short scroll like where the Mini Profile is?! It would be fast to click and view and if you want to check the other dragons then you can still click the scroll in everyones signature

Just an idea!

So, what I'm suggesting is a short scroll link. This could be something simple like http://dragcave.net/user/username/short that displays only the eggs and unfrozen hatchies that need views, similar to what is shown now from your main scroll link if you hide adults. But, the adults and frozen hatchlings would still be visible if you went to the normal scroll link.

Great idea! It will make it easier and faster!

Edited by alba

I support this idea. I think that peoples with slow connections will be encouraged to click by the fewer sprites to load, and even lazy peoples!