heartofkavelle

The Sims

Double Deluxe comes with TS2 itself, Nightlife (adds cars, downtown areas, vampires), and a party pack that adds birthday cakes, wedding decorations, stuff like that. I found it at Wal-Mart, and like I said, it was around $20. I think Pets costs about that, too, and like Cavey said, there's dogs, cats, birds, and womrats. I don't think it removes any features... I haven't played in a while, either, though, so I'm not certain.

As for the console version... I don't actually own any console versions, so I can't really be sure, but I think that if you want kids, you have to create them in the family creator thing. Take that with a grain of salt, though- as I said, I'm not certain. *le shrug*

*wants a toddler*

Hrm. I shall browse for PC Sims, then~ Thank you C:

A womrat in the Sims 2 Pets is basically a guinea pig with a different name. Not sure if it'll be in The Sims 3 Pets though. I hope not. Those things were freaking annoying.dry.gif

~Cavey

Oh wait, what's the difference between the Sims 2 and 3? Should I try to get the third one instead? >>

Oh wait, what's the difference between the Sims 2 and 3? Should I try to get the third one instead? >>

There's a couple differences.

The second one allows you more control over the neighborhood as a whole, it's cheaper, and all the expansions are already out.

Also, the loading time for going to any lot other than your home is pretty long.

The third one has more customization options (in the second one you had very limited options with furniture, clothing, and such because it only came in a few colors, in sims 3 you can make your stuff any color/pattern you can think up), better graphics as a whole, and lot of interesting features.

Alas, your neighborhood will progress without you, meaning you can only control one family at a time.

This is also seamless. There isn't any loading time, and you can walk around the neighborhood to do whatever you want.

I personally prefer sims 3, as I don't like the 3-4 minute loading time between each lot, and I like the majority of the features much better.

Research it online and see which you like better.

Of course, this is for PC, and I don't know if you're talking about PS3 or not. I always get confused.

Who thinks fall needs to come faster? *raises hand* I want this Pets expansion pack now!

Oh, and EA needs to release a Seasons EP like they did in TS2. I know there are fog emitters to do it, but they lag my game and the snow doesn't even cover the ground! Quit making stuff packs and work on seasons already, EA! Listen to us for god's sake!

I hate EA. dry.gif

~Cavey

Honestly I would rather them fix the multitude of bugs before Pets, or anything else.

The Sims 3 Generation pack seems like fun - but my computer refuses to play the Sims games =\

I just want to express my sadness that Sims 3 doesn't have a memory system similar to Sims 2 so that there can be Sims 2 style gossip...and Sims 2 style conversations. I miss seeing my sims having meaningful conversations. Sims 3 is fun, but the sims don't really talk to each other. It makes me sad.

You have the game and it's up to date, right? Getting the Generations patches gives you a memory system. wink.gif And they do talk, and when they gossip, you can see what your Sim is saying. Example: Playing the Hotow (I made them in Twinbrook, along with the dude that the girl Autumn is married to, except at this point they were teens) family. Select Autumn and choose Gossip with her boyfriend. Pop up box. "blah blah blah. (Skeet Bayless just died. Isn't it a shame? was here.)" But unless you get Generations, when someone in a different house dies, like, let's say someone in the Greenwood house died, it will say, "(Sim name) is in mourning because just died. (Sim's gender)'ll always keep alive in (gender) memory!" and the only fix I found was installing Gen.

rebel: Try upgrading your machine, or in the worst case scenario (failed upgrade, on Mac, etc.) purchase a whole new machine that can handle it. As I'm a Mac user, I had to go to worst case scenario, and my father purchased a new one. ^>^ And a note to all Sims 3 players, if your computer has a core (duel or quad, can't remember, though I think it's duel) it will generally run the best. But I'm not a person in a computer company, so I don't know if it's possible to plug a duel core in.

~Cavey

Blah.

I won't be getting generations till I get paid next week, but I totally want it like... now.

@_@

I want it mainly for the memory and prank system, but I'm curious...

It is any good Cavedragon?

Cavey, I have the patch, and I want the Generations style memory system to die in a fire. It's useless to generate Sims 2 style gossip. The pop-up boxes aren't the same as sims talking to each other in a way that uses the Sims 2 style memory system.

For example, in Sims 2, I had a husband cheat on his wife. I know, of course, that she is just programming strings to mimic AI. But...for the next several days, whenever she spoke to him over a meal, her speech bubbles were full of betrayal, his portrait, tombstones, and glasses of cowplant milk. It isn't hard to see what she was 'thinking' there. She didn't just casually want him dead. Sims 3 has nothing in place that can even come close to mimicking a conversation in that way.

Gossip is the same. In Sims 3, all they ever do is show that "I'm gossiping!" bubble, then there is a pop-up box of something. In Sims 2, they gossiped in a far more natural way--they relied on their memories, hidden or not, and actually spoke them to each other. If one saw a fight, they would gossip about the fight in speech bubbles. Often it was nothing but talking about how one sim burnt food, but at least it was something based on their own memories or the gossip they had heard from other sims. Sims 3 sims will never gossip about getting in fights or getting good grades, and I will never be able to watch a community lot full of them talking to each other and know they are talking about how Sim X cheated on Sim Y based on their speech bubbles.

There are some things I like about Sims 3 style socializing, but I really, really miss the Sims 2 style memory system and the resultant speech bubbles and gossip. It helped give them personality, since they could carry out meaningful conversations on their own that I could watch and know what they were talking about.

Pink, I don't have Generations, so can't comment on the pranks. An expansion pack for that memory system isn't worth it, though if you want it you can get it with a patch (if you use mods, remember to updated them). The memory system is buggy for one: If sims get a divorce, for instance, only one sim will get the memory, while on the other hand, I have heard that all sims in the household get "taught sim to talk" memories, even if they weren't involved. They get memories for things like picking up rocks, setting foot on the grocery lot (but not entering the store), being late to work, etc. The memories are all screenshots of the sim filed into a scrapbook, and by default the game will bug you with pop-ups to share them on Facebook. If the sim is in the household but not on-screen, it will not get a snapshot of the memory. Sims in the general neighborhood don't seem to get memories in general (I think they get a few if they are on-screen), so don't expect to be able to use it to switch to another family and see what what they have been up to via memories. All in all, my impression of memories in Sims 3 is they are utterly worthless.

The patch will also add things like dates (seems to be just an outing but romantic), teen mood swings, aging sliders so you can set your sims' lifespans exactly as you want them, and the ability to turn your male sims into yetis with thick, luxuriant body hair long enough to braid. Probably other things too, but those were the most obvious.

Pink, Generations is made of epic win. Here are some things that I can list off the top of my head:

-Egg throwing, fire bag, dingdong ditching. Only for teens, and I had Autumn do it, and she was caught by the police and got grounded. Her sister Sally was like, "That is IT. You're grounded, young lady! Don't even think about leaving this house!" Got the grounded moodlet, and had her mom let her off the hook (the prom was the next day).

-Booby traps. Child and teen. Shower dye, scary computer, whoopee cushion...I can't think of any more traps.

-Bunk and loft beds. Rather useful if you have a small house and more kids. (Speaking of that, Autumn had triplets. blink.gif)

-Strollers. Except one of my sims kept carrying and then putting the kid in the stroller. I was like, "Make up your mind."

...and I'm pretty sure there's more.

~Cavey

Hm. Well, I'll probably end up getting it eventually anyways, being as I'll need to keep updated if I want to get pets.

Having one expansion and not the other doesn't work out so well in the long run if you want to mod your game.

The new expansions are always super buggy when they first come out.

:\

I am never going to buy WA. Apparently sims poof, they freeze, screen flashes.

Anyone know the answer to this? Back when I had my crapMac, (what I call it) I was playing a house in TS2, and then when I had two girls playing together, the screen flashed black and then they were stuck. The others could move, but those girls couldn't move at all--stuck in their position like a statue, and nothing worked (I wasn't willing to forceerror them through boolProp, it's too risky.), even canceling the action and telling them to do something else--they were playing Cops and Robbers, IIRC. I decided it was a glitch and quit without saving. And now I'm wondering, what caused it?

~Cavey

I want TS3 for my PC but... It would die right when I click the icon.

Okay, just a quick question for all you Simmers.... My Sims game lags like craaazy. I have just the minimum requirements for it to run. Should I get an upgrade or does it matter too much?

Mimimum requirements are just that -- mimimums. Anything better than that is similarily going to perform better.

Think of it like grades? A computer only pasing the mimimum has a D-.

Cavey, any number of things can cause sims to get stuck. Forcing an error on them in order to reset them probably would have worked without harming them, though if restarting worked, then it's just as well to do that instead.

7hippo7, depending on what you do, upgrading could make an enormous difference. What you can do now, though, is set all of your video and audio options to the lowest settings. That should help speed it up some.

I just got Sims Generations last night.

Looks pretty good thusfar, but I haven't had much time to look at it yet.

Right now I was going to go look for updates for some of my mods and see if I can't get those on before I start getting too into it.

*yawn*

Love sims 2, hate sims 3, never tried original sims ;D Sims is for when I feel like being a 'family' creator instead of a war creator biggrin.gif

How is Sims 3 not cool? It is epic win and I think it is the best Sims game so far in the series. My old crapMac would never have been able to run it--I'd be surprised if it even got past the launcher. Especially with it being with a dead GC. Wait, I checked the config log and it said I had a GMA 950. *slaps self* Those are defective. Stupid me. They're defective because those are graphics chips, not cards. Although I think all Macs have chips, but this one is definitely strong. There is no way it could run Sims 3, Ambitions and Generations without lag or problems.

~Cavey