heartofkavelle

The Sims

What in the flying blue birds is Milkshape? huh.gif Is that a Windows program? Because if it is I think I'm out of luck.

Oh, Google got me a patch for Mac, but there are like three. The only other Sim related things were no-CD cracks. (Those things are lies, apparently.) I don't know which to download...December 07 patch, Combo or regular? *facepalm*

~Cavey

When in doubt, choose regular.

Two of my sim's needs bars are stuck. ._.

Both energy and hygiene are slightly depleted, but not moving at all. It happened after I changed active households. Tried changing again, using the testingcheats to drag it (wouldn't move), making needs static then dynamic...nothing's working. :/

Poor thing is doomed to a life without ever sleeping again...or bathing...

I mean, I'm kinda ok with this...but I would like to fix it if possible. Any thoughts?

is it sims3? did you buy them the hardly tired and hardly needing to shower rewards?

Layn, getting those rewards doesn't completely stop the bars from moving. I can say this for a fact. It just decreased slower. Did you try resetSim, Ali'i?

And Pink? Can I just say that I don't know which to download because on my old crapMac my sister got me the December 07 patch and I am so confused. D:<

~Cavey

I'll try reset now. And no, I didn't buy any lifetime rewards yet now that I think about it. ._.

Aye aye aye, I forgot that the Steel Bladder one stops Bladder from moving. My bad. *facepalm*

Okay, I'm getting really concerned. I don't know if my computer is supported for TS3 and all those patches. I haven't played in days because I don't want my graphics chip to die. In map view my streets are blurry and I've noticed several gaps in Sims. Unsupported or just the patch's fault, making those appear? <:/ And all of my graphics options are at medium except for Reflections, which is turned off completely. I can't play TS2 right now because it's not patched and it's too dangerous running it unpatched. Urk...

~Cavey

Aye aye aye, I forgot that the Steel Bladder one stops Bladder from moving. My bad. *facepalm*

Okay, I'm getting really concerned. I don't know if my computer is supported for TS3 and all those patches. I haven't played in days because I don't want my graphics chip to die. In map view my streets are blurry and I've noticed several gaps in Sims. Unsupported or just the patch's fault, making those appear? <:/ And all of my graphics options are at medium except for Reflections, which is turned off completely. I can't play TS2 right now because it's not patched and it's too dangerous running it unpatched. Urk...

~Cavey

Cavey, since I consider you to be the slightly glitched expert of the Sims, do you think that my specs are good enough to run it, let alone Generations or Ambitions?

Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.75 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Memory: 2048MB RAM

I found my specs but I didn't find a lot that was useful. :/

You could try this thing, but don't be discouraged if it says you can't run it. It told me my laptop wouldn't be able to run Portal 2 and it does just fine. ._.

Now then, who here is gunna get Hidden Springs? I kinda want it just because the world is so pretty. X3 And some of the stuff it comes with sounds interesting.

Cavey, since I consider you to be the slightly glitched expert of the Sims, do you think that my specs are good enough to run it, let alone Generations or Ambitions?

Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.75 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System

Memory: 2048MB RAM

I found my specs but I didn't find a lot that was useful. :/

Can you give me some information on your graphics card? That's the main thing I need, because otherwise I can't help you. You also need to post your computer kind--I assume you're on a Windows, so you need to tell me if you're on a Vista, 7 or XP.

You do seem to have enough RAM for a Windows, though. Oh, and just so you know, that miiiiiight be able to run the base game without a core, but TS3 tends to run better with one.

Oh, and if you get the game, install it and everything looks like http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=405441 that, either you're unsupported with your graphics device (do not use a graphics chip and install both Ambitions and Generations; I have them and my game is dying...) or you're using an ATI card.

Oh--I wouldn't recommend getting World Adventures if your computer can run it, because several people have reported Sims missing during the game. I saw it at a store and was slightly tempted but didn't get it. Just so you know. *shrugs*

And laptops are really bad for Sims because that game requires a lot of polygons and a ton of shading and stuff. Don't run it on a laptop without expecting several crashes. :/

(What do you mean by slightly glitched expert? xd.png)

~Cavey

And laptops are really bad for Sims because that game requires a lot of polygons and a ton of shading and stuff. Don't run it on a laptop without expecting several crashes. :/

~Cavey

I play it on my laptop and it runs better than it does on my desktop. :I

And as for the World Adventures thing, that's too bad because I was kinda looking into getting it. :c

Laptop or computer the only thing that matters is specs. But the thing is that laptops generally have weaker specs.

Anyway, your graphics card and processor information is both important towards if you can run the game or not. Also, is your OS Win7 or Vista? And how much space do you have available on your hard drive?

~Cavey[/color]

Nonsense.

My laptop runs the sims on high graphics (maximum on all the reflection/building/sim features/animation details) mode fine.

I even have all the expansions and everything and I've never had a problem (except when EA releases lousy updates, but that's another story).

Granted, desktops tend to be easier to customize (and upgrade to higher specs) but that doesn't mean that laptops are shot.

Um. Pink, your laptop will probably end up going kablam at some point. My sister once ran The Sims 2 Double Deluxe with FreeTime, Pets, University, and a ton of other expansions (she didn't have BV or AL though) on a Windows laptop. And guess what happened? BAM. The thing had to be taken and replaced with a different Windows, the one that began crashing and eventually died. I told you that Windows suck. dry.gif But my Mac is starting to explode...shoot. (But my crapMac--yes that piece of old wires is still in the house--looks tiny compared to this! xd.png)

But how do Sims look when they have Sim Detail maxed? My computer definitely can't handle having that maxed. (Stupid onboard graphics...)

~Cavey

It's all about the specs, not if it's a Windows or a Mac. Frankly, Macs are worse for gaming in general.

Sims looks okay on maximum settings. I run it like that on my new desktop. But I wish they'd actually made serious graphical updates to it. I see lots of detail on trees and such, but all in all Sims 3 isn't that great of a looking game. Maybe I'm just a little jaded now since there really isn't a game I can't max.

My dad would kill me for bringing a gaming Windows in this house. Yes, he hates them that much. And actually, I think Macs tend to be better because some Macs have card slots that allow you to swap out the graphics card. Wow, that was off topic.

I was just wondering because in Sims 2 on my old crapMac I'd maxed out Sim/Object Detail to get those ugly paddle hands out of the way (bad idea on that crappy thing! ><). I'm so glad EA completely cut away the paddle hands in Sims 3.

I've had several cases where I'll be panning the camera around Twinbrook or Sunset Valley, go back to the house, and the Sims are made of a bunch of boxes. xd.png I think that's just a matter of zooming back too fast, though. Not the computer itself.

~Cavey

I don't know, boxSims never happens to me.

As for video card slots... I don't really consider that a plus since it isn't really that hard to change out a Windows graphics card either. I mean, sure, you have to open the case but... that isn't too hard itself too.

I don't feel like inspecting my computer for details right now so I will do it laters.

My computer can run Portal 2 with occasional lag, and just about on the lowest settings it runs fine by a whisker.

I want to know if my comp can run the Sims without crashing at least, I don't really care about perfect graphics (I was raised on pixelly DS graphics) much but I kinda don't want to waste 50$ on a game/expansion that doesn't work.

...What things are there in Generations?

Bunk beds (that one is awesome for tiny houses) and loft beds, strollers, a costume chest, some new furniture (televisions, chairs, dressers etc.), pranks which are pure win, Nurturing and Rebellious traits, sleeping bags, pillow fighting, memories, dates, new cars, midlife crisis, Imaginary Friends (those things never leave the darn Sim alone...grr...), grounding, time outs, banning of using an object...and that's about all I can remember. Oh, and there are some new hairstyles and clothing in Create A Sim, too.

Once you give me the graphics card or chip you have I can confirm whether or not you can run it. Do not do not do not do not do not do NOT run Sims 3 on a GMA 8xx/9xx chip because my old crap computer had a GMA 950 (the X's are random numbers) and if I attempted to run Sims 3 on it, that thing would result in a crash, colors going weird, multiple gaps in the Sims, and a ton of missing graphics...yeah, that's pretty much what happened when I last played Sims 2 Pets on that crap. Except it didn't crash and the colors didn't go weird. But my water looked kinda blocky in neighborhood view there.

And $ins, can we please quit arguing? We both have our own opinions, and honestly I think just having a Mac with a card slot, ordering a card and just quickly replacing it is faster...but let's just stop arguing.

~Cavey

I don't feel like inspecting my computer for details right now so I will do it laters.

My computer can run Portal 2 with occasional lag, and just about on the lowest settings it runs fine by a whisker.

I want to know if my comp can run the Sims without crashing at least, I don't really care about perfect graphics (I was raised on pixelly DS graphics) much but I kinda don't want to waste 50$ on a game/expansion that doesn't work.

...What things are there in Generations?

Without the other details, knowing that you can play Portal 2 really doesn't help me. Especially without the graphics card and OS. Seriously... just type dxdiag into your start bar, run it, and then copy what it says.

Memories and dates don't really count as Generations features since they're now implemented into the base game, so if those are driving features for you don't bother. I still don't have Generations so I can't speak for the rest; I refuse to buy it until they patch the rest of the problems.

I wasn't aware we were arguing. I was aware that we were expressing differences in opinion. If you want to see me argue, then come to the debate threads in General Discussion.

*breathes sigh of relief* Sims 2 runs perfectly on this machine. No jerky motions and no gapSims. The graphics are crappy but that's because Sim/Object Detail was low. I've now put it to high.

I think I'll install Uni tomorrow. The loading times are like two seconds, and the camera and switching Sims is so much smoother. smile.gif

~Cavey

If you want to know that, you need to provide specs.

I can tell you that a desktop with an AMD64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8 GHz processor running Windows XP Home with 4GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB video card will run Sims 3 pretty well at max graphics setting, but it will crash occasionally or experience issues saving games after long periods of play because XP Home can't be set to take advantage of that much RAM for Sims 3 and it will run out.

So, if you want to know if the game will run without crashing, you need to know the specs.

Um. Pink, your laptop will probably end up going kablam at some point. My sister once ran The Sims 2  Double Deluxe with FreeTime, Pets, University, and a ton of other expansions (she didn't have BV or AL though) on a Windows laptop. And guess what happened? BAM. The thing had to be taken and replaced with a different Windows, the one that began crashing and eventually died. I told you that Windows suck. dry.gif But my Mac is starting to explode...shoot. (But my crapMac--yes that piece of old wires is still in the house--looks tiny compared to this! xd.png)

But how do Sims look when they have Sim Detail maxed? My computer definitely can't handle having that maxed. (Stupid onboard graphics...)

~Cavey

It looks fine. I wouldn't consider it spectacular, but I don't zoom in on my sims a whole lot. I like mirror reflections and super water.

Of course it will. That's the 2nd law of thermodynamics for you. It WILL break at some point.

Now being as I don't run sims 24/7 (more like once a fortnight) I find that unlike to affect it much compared to other factors, but that's just the techie in me thinking logically again.

Never mind her.

...Have you ever considered that maybe you two just really don't have good luck with computers?

Was it windows vista she was using?

Windows vista always crashed a lot for me on my old laptop. It was... special. Although, really, no one liked that version.

Never seen or heard of the box sims before.

Sometimes the floor textures (on landscapes) don't load instantly for me on more complex lots (It takes about a second), but that's not a problem.

Edited by Pink

Dxdiag is so confusing for me... It doesn't really say a lot about graphics or anything... Is Chip Type it?

Pranks, score! Sadly I never had a Sims game where they grew up and all that new stuff...

Dxdiag is so confusing for me... It doesn't really say a lot about graphics or anything... Is Chip Type it?

Pranks, score! Sadly I never had a Sims game where they grew up and all that new stuff...

No, you need to know what processor you have, how much RAM you have, and what video card you have.

Also, amount of space you have on your computer will help too.

In order to get the first two, you just right click on the "My computer" ICON (before opening it) and click "Properties".

I have, for instance, an i5 2.30 GHz processor and 6.00 ram.

Then, to find out what video card you have, go to the my computer icon again and right click. This time select "Manage". This will bring up a lovely list of everything that's on your computer.

On the left there's a list. Click "Device manager". A little down the list there's a thing called "Display adapters". This is your graphics card. Click on that and tell the name of the video card that comes up (even if it doesn't sound like it's a video card). Video cards are rated online, so if you give us this information we can then find out if you can run sims.

This last past is especially important, since the video card is the prohibiting factor a lot in this game. However, the process can ALSO be a limiting factor. That happened on my last computer (The processor wasn't up to it), and the sims lagged at every frame.

Savvy?

Of course, none of that will work if you're running a mac, but then, if you are... I can't be much of a help anyways *has never used a mac*.

Edited by Pink

Processor:

AMD Sempron Processor LE-1300, ~2.GHz

Memory:

2048MB RAM

Help much?

Edited by rainpeltstar