heartofkavelle

The Sims

I'm sad because my mom won't let me get sims because it's rated "teen"! What's not fair is my friend, who is in 1st grade, has sims!

willa? You want to have an advantage?

Tell your mom that The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 (never played the original, so I dunno about it) are rated Teen because of the fact that it has "woohoo and try for baby" that you can't see at all, the violence is slaps or fights in clouds that don't give you a look at the fighting except when they pop out and even then they go back in, and that's the same as crude humor. I was in 4th grade when I got The Sims 2, and that was because my sister had the games and my parents believed I was mature enough. Before I broke the game, (well, I didn't, installing Pets for Sims 2 asploded it, and that was because of my graphics chip, look it up if you don't know what I mean, Google "onboard graphics") it was my all-time favorite. Then I got this computer, and I haven't installed The Sims 2 yet because 1, I play The Sims 3 most of the time now, and 2, I have a duo core, which can cause problems.

~Cavey

willa? You want to have an advantage?

Tell your mom that The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 (never played the original, so I dunno about it) are rated Teen because of the fact that it has "woohoo and try for baby" that you can't see at all, the violence is slaps or fights in clouds that don't give you a look at the fighting except when they pop out and even then they go back in, and that's the same as crude humor. I was in 4th grade when I got The Sims 2, and that was because my sister had the games and my parents believed I was mature enough. Before I broke the game, (well, I didn't, installing Pets for Sims 2 asploded it, and that was because of my graphics chip, look it up if you don't know what I mean, Google "onboard graphics") it was my all-time favorite. Then I got this computer, and I haven't installed The Sims 2 yet because 1, I play The Sims 3 most of the time now, and 2, I have a duo core, which can cause problems.

~Cavey

I have instigated fights before, fun.

Person: LEMME AT EM... Huh?

*gets pulled back into cloud*

Very fun fighting with an ex-wife of a guy you forced to move in.

I just...want to strangle EA right now.

They didn't let me sign up for an account so I can get Riverview. I entered my birth date way before it was so I could actually do it, and then they kept refusing my password when it was correct... *sigh* Really, EA?

It's not my game either. Although I take it back on not having problems. Now curved pools and fountains lose their curve. *grumbles*

~Cavey

I hate that sims 3 is such a spoiled game. It's taken me hours to get it to work too the point I can use my ambitions and world adventures and still be able to work with CAW. when I get late night and the new pets when it comes out in October I have to do it all over again.... ._.

7Deadly$ins, by "losing the curve" the curve shows up if you look at it from an angle, but above it? You just see a bunch of terrain. I'd show you a Mod The Sims photo but it's down and I can't access the site...

And Sorrowgrave, if your game is lagging that much, you might need to upgrade your computer. My Mac runs The Sims 3, Ambitions and Generations with little to no lag, but...yeah. You know what I mean.

~Cavey

7Deadly$ins, by "losing the curve" the curve shows up if you look at it from an angle, but above it? You just see a bunch of terrain. I'd show you a Mod The Sims photo but it's down and I can't access the site...

And Sorrowgrave, if your game is lagging that much, you might need to upgrade your computer. My Mac runs The Sims 3, Ambitions and Generations with little to no lag, but...yeah. You know what I mean.

~Cavey

I believe Sorrowgrave's problem is more with bugs and less with lag. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

I interpreted just plain lag, not bugs. But hey, we all think differently. But anyway, now I just remembered that I've had black dots and white lines jagging across my screen. *facepalm* I think I might've killed my game a little. Can anyone give help on reducing that? It isn't all over the screen, but on floors there are the black dots and different lots in the neighborhood, like next door houses, have the white lines on the edges of the lot, and it's just plain annoying.

~Cavey

Well, it's obviously a graphics problem, I'm assuming, but really I know nothing about Macs.

It could be a CC issue. I don't use any CC at all, though, so I don't know about that either.

I don't use any CC. Period, end of story. It's too complicated, and I don't want to install Stuffit or Keka. The only things in my Downloads folder are msi.bin and nav.bin, and I'm assuming those are patches.

Although it might be dust buildup in the fans causing the graphical errors (that air is HOT, and I don't think it's a good sign) so I'm going to clean that out soon to get it off the motherboard or whatever Macs have that Windows call motherboards or mainboards or blah blah blah...you get the picture.

I'm impantiently waiting for Pets. Just a quick note to everyone who has pre-ordered Pets, you might want to wait to install it once you get it until the patch is out. It's what I'm going to do, just for game safety.

~Cavey

Cleaning the fans would be good. I thought you had a new computer, though, so it would be odd for there to be an abundance of dust so quickly.

Anyway, it isn't nessecarily a bad thing for the air that's coming out of the computer to be hot -- the air is leaving the computer, thus the fans are keeping that heat from staying inside the computer. On the other hand, it would be good to know your computer's idle temperature and what temperatures it increases to during gaming sessions.

Uh, I don't know the temperature, but when I'm playing The Sims 3 Generations, that drive gets so hot that it buuurns. D: Yeah, I'm not sure that's good, when I played Ambitions it never got that hot.

Yeah, it's rather new, but if you looked behind my computer, you'd know why I'd want to clean the fans. There's a glittery wax hand back there (oops) and dust. Plus, Widget goes back there and sleeps there, so I'm not surprised if there's cat hair, too. It's why I'm limiting her time back there right now because that drive might be full of fluff. And add the fact that when my father got it, there was probably stuff in the drive box that fell in the fans. That's why I want to clean it, get the dust off the graphics device (I can't find if the NVIDIA GeForce 320M is a chip or a card!) because it might be sticking in little slits or cracks, stopping it from working properly.

~Cavey

There are tools online that can help you determing your computer's temperature. In general, this information is good to know anyway, and can help solve a lot of problems. I'm not surprised that adding more expansion packs increased the temperature; you ARE increasing the amount available to the game and it probably increases the processing requirements too.

As for your cat, Widget is probably attracted to your computer for the heat. This is totally off topic, but she might like heated cat beds.

I'm not 100% sure either, but the NVIDIA GeForce 320M is integrated, so I believe that means it's a chip. Integrated cards aren't totally the best things for gaming (but then, neither are Macs), so, there might be a bit of that too. But I'm not really an expert about these things; I just finished selecting and buying the components to my first real gaming computer the other day.

*facepalm* No wonder it isn't running the best, integrated means onboard graphics, aka GRAPHICS CHIPS. My dad is a total Windows hater (which is why I look down on Windows) so he won't buy a Windows for gaming, and frankly, he'd never waste his money on that kind of stuff. Lesson learned, limited Simming when I get Pets. Blasted Mac creators, can you make Macs with CARDS instead of CHIPS? When I get out of the house into college (at this point The Sims 4 will be out, but who cares) I'm getting a Windows for gaming along with a Mac for online stuff.

When I play Sims tomorrow, I'm turning off reflections. I like the reflections but the longer that I play with unreasonable settings, the sooner my chip will die, I won't notice (I am so oblivious to these things), and damage my motherboard, killing my computer completely. *headdesk* My dad would be all RAEG RAEG RAEG.

Oh, and some people say their noob mistakes with Sims 2. You know what mine was? Installing the game. I'm surprised it even ran with a GMA 950 chip. I was so uneducated with Macs then.

~Cavey

*facepalm* No wonder it isn't running the best, integrated means onboard graphics, aka GRAPHICS CHIPS. My dad is a total Windows hater (which is why I look down on Windows) so he won't buy a Windows for gaming, and frankly, he'd never waste his money on that kind of stuff. Lesson learned, limited Simming when I get Pets. Blasted Mac creators, can you make Macs with CARDS instead of CHIPS? When I get out of the house into college (at this point The Sims 4 will be out, but who cares) I'm getting a Windows for gaming along with a Mac for online stuff.

When I play Sims tomorrow, I'm turning off reflections. I like the reflections but the longer that I play with unreasonable settings, the sooner my chip will die, I won't notice (I am so oblivious to these things), and damage my motherboard, killing my computer completely. *headdesk* My dad would be all RAEG RAEG RAEG.

Oh, and some people say their noob mistakes with Sims 2. You know what mine was? Installing the game. I'm surprised it even ran with a GMA 950 chip. I was so uneducated with Macs then.

~Cavey

Frankly, it would be a terrible waste of money to have a gaming PC AND a Mac to do something the PC can do just as well. PCs that are designed to run games highly effectively (especially if you want it to be able to still be considered good for some time after you buy it) are by no means cheap (I should know, I just bought one) and adding a Mac on top of that for just the internet is unreasonable.

wink.gif Especially for a college student.

*puts hand over face* I think I meant when I had the money but didn't state that. The only reason I'd have two different computers and one just for the internet is because people hack Windows a lot more often than Macs, antiviruses can turn out to be viruses themselves, trojans, keyloggers, blah blah blah. Macs only get viruses with .dmg files, and they don't work with .exe files. Macs (ones that aren't game compatible) are cheaper than this one. I'll probably just start with a Mac and then get the Windows. But that's completely non-Sim related.

Anyway, I do little challenges for fun in 3. So I take an ordinary family, move them in a blank ordinary lot, and after lots and lots of fun building the place, BOOM there's an island house. Then I enable testingcheats and buydebug and throw some fish in the water (yes I turn the cheats off, that is not the graphic error cause) for them to fry with the portable fire pit. They're only allowed to leave the lot for seed and gem hunting (and school if there's kids or teens, but NO JOBS) and when they hit 20,000 simoleons I use the motherlode cheat as many times as I need to, reverse the island, and build them a real house. There's a good way to play. Just for you Simmers who are getting bored. wink.gif

~Cavey

The only reason I'd have two different computers and one just for the internet is because people hack Windows a lot more often than Macs, antiviruses can turn out to be viruses themselves, trojans, keyloggers, blah blah blah

I find often that Mac users greatly over-amplify the rate at which PCs get viruses. It's true, there are more, but in all my time (my life) of using PCs I've never been hit with anything worse than something a simple System Restore couldn't fix. And I wasn't running any antivirus at the time so it was my fault. As for fake antivirus, well, obviously, as with anything you buy, research should be done.

Oh yeah, I just remembered.

So elder Macy Hotow in Twinbrook (the mother of the girl Autumn I have mentioned several times) learned Gardening skill with the Green Thumb trait, because I heard that you can revive dead plants with that trait. She got her last point of Gardening skill through a book, but she can't revive plants. The plants are dead, but clicking on them only gives me "Dispose All Dead Plants (green thumb icon)" and "View".

Can revive only be performed by young adults and adults, or is this a game issue? She also has the Lucky and Natural Cook traits, the only ones I can remember, she's got five traits. If it's a game issue, is it serious?

~Cavey

Are you sure the plants are actually dead as opposed to barren? Barren plants look dead and the menu says "remove dead plants", but barren just means that plant can't bear any more fruit. You can't revive a living but barren plant as far as I know. Hover over the plant and read the part that says what kind and quality it is. It will say whether the plant is dead or barren.

Edited by Princess Artemis

I thought barren meant dead! Whoops. Can I replace them in some way without planting them again? I really took a long time to get all those plants (sure, they're only apple trees, tomato plants and vines of stuff but it was hard to find the seeds) and I don't want it to be wasted.

Turned off reflections yesterday and the fuzzy problem where my roof appeared to be appearing in fuzz twice (I know, you're going "what?", I mean I'd see the roof wall from the Gable roof and a fuzzy patch of the screen near it would make it look as though it was appearing again) was reduced. But I found out that it still shows up, just all blurry and sticky looking. dry.gif Ugh, I hate my mirrors looking like that, but I'm not turning it back on. I will kill my graphics chip if I do.

Don't ask why I'm using a chip instead of a card. I'm on a Mac. Macs don't have cards. But this one is pretty strong.

~Cavey

No, the only way to get more fruit is to replant. Barren plants are finished. You should be able to grow better plants from the fruit the barren plant last bore though. Just plant the fruit--you don't need seeds to do it.

Can someone tell me how the Late Night expansion pack is? It looks kind of cool, but I don't want to get it until I get back home and find all the information on it. I'd do it here, but I'd end up with a lot of German answers and I do not happen to understand it...dry.gif

*does a little dance to The Sims 3: Generations expansion pack trailer music* I love Time Bomb. And I love Generations itself. It is so freakishly awesome. I love the seesaws and the waterslides and the pranks and...um, I forgot to do the bachelorette party for Autumn, so I don't know a thing about it.

~Cavey

Can someone tell me how the Late Night expansion pack is? It looks kind of cool, but I don't want to get it until I get back home and find all the information on it. I'd do it here, but I'd end up with a lot of German answers and I do not happen to understand it...dry.gif

*does a little dance to The Sims 3: Generations expansion pack trailer music* I love Time Bomb. And I love Generations itself. It is so freakishly awesome. I love the seesaws and the waterslides and the pranks and...um, I forgot to do the bachelorette party for Autumn, so I don't know a thing about it.

~Cavey

Well, I like the Late Night exp.

It's probably about par with generations and WA, and much better than ambitions (ambitions was laaame).

The main features are venues (like sports bars, dance clubs, vampire lounges), celebrities, and vampires.

It adds the acting careers and a few other things (elevators!)

The vampires are pretty fun to work with, even if they don't die in the sun.

They have a thirst motive instead of food and will need to either drink from a human sim, eat a plasma fruit or drink plasma juice. They also gain "superpowers" at night, such as being able to read other sims' minds, super speed, and being able to "hunt" on most lots. No coffins yet, but I expect those are in the making.

http://burogublog.wordpress.com/2010/08/12...d-new-features/

Bachelor/bachelorette parties are pretty fun. I did one for my male sim when he got remarried, but he got in major trouble with his spouse at the end of it because he woohooed with one of the dancers in public. (I have a mod where they can do that without direction)

*sigh*

He's such an idiot.