Fansite Overview Project

List of Active Fansites

I can't believe EATW is gone forever! :( That was one of the first hatcheries I used when I first started playing Dragon Cave. I always liked it, it was one of my favorites. And I used the Dragonmarket so often when doing trades, and got a lot of great things from there. This is really upsetting.

I cannot believe someone would pay to do this, and yet at the same time I can which is really sad..

I'm going to miss EATW very much. It was the first hatchery I ever used, and by far the one I liked the most. Not to mention the Dragon Market... and the tools, ugh, the Sunrise/sunset hatching times were so helpful. :(

Thanks for all your hard work Ext3h! <3

-

9 hours ago, Lurhstaap said:

/snip/ But I fear that it sets a terrible precedent and gives the attackers a far bigger victory than they perhaps even hoped for. /snap/

I am rather worried about this too. :-/

I'm so sorry to hear this. Like many others, I used EATW almost exclusively, my eggs and hatchlings were always safe there, even if I put them in as soon as I got them. And, of course, they always hatched and grew up on time. The day EATW was attacked is a sad day for all of DC.

On 2.1.2018 at 9:04 AM, Lantean_Pegasus said:

@Ext3h:

That's devastating news.

EATW was my one and only standard hatching site ever since I started DC back in 2012, because I found it simply the best by far in terms of handling and, much more important, views management.

I could put my eggs in there, and know the little ones would be save and sound until they hatched/grew up - which they usually did right at the 4 days mark.

DC won't be the same for me with EATW gone. (The alternatives are either woefully slow, or have a much higher risk of sickness, as far as I observed.)

So I'm very, very sorry for all the users that loose this great site, but much more for you for loosing a project that you invested so much time, work, dedication and money in, and that was among the best of its kind (the best in my books).

Many thanks to you for keeping it running for so long, improving it on the way, battling difficulties and being a large help to the DC community !!

PS: Maybe you should open a separate thread for this announcement, I'm sure there are many users out there who were using EATW, are wondering what its fate may be, and might miss the post in here ?

I completely agree with this. Not having EATW to our disposal during the Christmas frenzy was bad enough, but to see it ending for good, that is just sad :(

The other hatcheries are okay too, but EATW was always my favourite, also because of the dragon market, where one didn't have to go through as much trouble as here on the forum with trade posts.

I'll miss this site a lot! :(

Edited by Ashtoret

Like others this was my favourite hatchery site, I will miss it so much.  I am disgusted that people will actually attack popular sites in such a fashion :(

On 1/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, Ext3h said:

EATW is gone forever.

Someone did pay quite a decent amount of money for the attacks during the Christmas event, and I am not going to deal with this any longer. (Just for the order of magnitude: Someone had the resources to deploy ~1000-1500 concurrent users/bots for 3 days straight during the attack. That is far beyond just being a little prank, most likely someone used a real botnet for this.)

The API access to dragcave.net (required for accessing scrolls etc.) was already shut down by TJ09 during the attacks, and I have terminated the webspace and the domain. The domain will be up for grab soon, so it would be a good idea to remove it from all signatures and alike, as I will not take any responsibility if a future owner of the domain decides to abuse it.

That is terrible to hear. Why would someone go to so much effort to ruin something so good? :( Thanks for all the work you put in to EATW and I'm sorry to see that it's all ended so horribly.

15 hours ago, Lurhstaap said:

I'm not questioning your decision to end EATW. I understand where you're coming from. But I fear that it sets a terrible precedent and gives the attackers a far bigger victory than they perhaps even hoped for. What if this doesn't stop? What happens if they go after AoND next, and the other major hatcheries? We're going to have to come up with some kind of defense for this.

I admit it. WHILE I do get WHY EATW isn't coming back ( I get where the one running the site is coming from there, though like many others on here I will miss the site as I used it for my dragons often) I am a bit concerned about this as well. After all... we don't REALLY know anything about the person's motive for doing such a thing. ESPECIALLY as it seemsto be the theory that someone may have actually spent real money to carry out this attack? I would hate to be stuck with NO hatcheries to use for my little ones. 

Just now, Silverswift said:

I admit it. WHILE I do get WHY EATW isn't coming back ( I get where the one running the site is coming from there, though like many others on here I will miss the site as I used it for my dragons often) I am a bit concerned about this as well. After all... we don't REALLY know anything about the person's motive for doing such a thing. ESPECIALLY as it seemsto be the theory that someone may have actually spent real money to carry out this attack? I would hate to be stuck with NO hatcheries to use for my little ones. 

Agreed. Let's hope this is an isolated incident...

Ext3h I wish you all the best in any future endeavors, and would like to thank you for all you did to make EATW so reliable.  I miss all the features it had to offer..  It would take far too long to list all the times I used it for more than a place to grow my dragons.  :(

3 hours ago, Imzadi said:

Ext3h I wish you all the best in any future endeavors, and would like to thank you for all you did to make EATW so reliable.  I miss all the features it had to offer..  It would take far too long to list all the times I used it for more than a place to grow my dragons.  :(

Well said.

I too loved EATW and will miss it! But definitely understand the decision!

Edited by 4mymirage

@Ext3h First of all thank you so much for EATW.  Honestly there was no better place to trade.  Like others it was my go to for trading and hatching.  Just like AoND is for lineage help and hatching.  I am saddened by the news that you are closing it, but understand completely.  Thanks for all the hard work you put into it.

@Ext3h So sorry to hear that. Some people are absolute garbage. Obviously in the greater scheme of life an attack on an adoptables hatchery is far from the greatest evil one could commit, but I still often wish we had a justice system that would allow nasty wankers of all walks to get a taste of their own medicine in return. I wish you the best in 2018. Remember that there is much good in the world, even when things look bleak. <3

To all others here... while this is a sad announcement indeed, I wouldn't fret too much about the possibility of other hatcheries being picked off. While it COULD happen, I imagine if DC's fansites were being methodically picked off one by one TJ wouldn't be deaf to our cries and would either retool sickness or remove it entirely (and then HA, the ratters would be helping rather than hurting!). DC wouldn't be usable for most of us if we had to go around fetching views the old fashioned way rather than using hatcheries. I imagine TJ knows that and wouldn't let most of the userbase be paralyzed. :) 

Well darn, I'm really sorry to hear that EATW is gone. :(

It was definitely one of my favorite Hatcheries, and I loved the Tools that were provided. 

Thank you, @Ext3h for all your hard work and dedication that you had put into the site. I understand it must be hard doing this, but we all know it's for the best. 

I'm sad to see it go, but it was wonderful while we had it. 

R.I.P. EATW  </3

With this, I'm done with DragonCave now. I would occasionally take a break for a while, but then I would come back. Other fansites for me didn't get me enough views. It was nice while it lasted. I may want to play again if someone happens to make a fansite just as good as EATW.

14 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

To all others here... while this is a sad announcement indeed, I wouldn't fret too much about the possibility of other hatcheries being picked off. While it COULD happen, I imagine if DC's fansites were being methodically picked off one by one TJ wouldn't be deaf to our cries and would either retool sickness or remove it entirely (and then HA, the ratters would be helping rather than hurting!). DC wouldn't be usable for most of us if we had to go around fetching views the old fashioned way rather than using hatcheries. I imagine TJ knows that and wouldn't let most of the userbase be paralyzed. :) 

Well said! (y)

This is really bad news. :( I just want to say thank you for keeping it running for so long! Good luck in your next projects!

EATW was the only useful DC-related site (I mean it was more than just a hatchery or a forum/chat-place) :(

Any chance EATW could return not as a hatchery but as a tool site(so with everything it had like the market or scrollwide progeny lists - except hatchery)? And under a different url to confuse the attacker/s?

The reasoning behind the attack can be something else than an attempt to harm DC though... I wouldn't be surprised if that EATW attack was supposed to force TJ to finally remove death of sickness from DC :rolleyes:

Edited by VixenDra

I cant believe Ive been using eatw for 10 years and it's just gone. Thats older than some people have had kids. Thank you webmaster for providing the facility and a reliable source of tools for DC.

It was a vague panic when I realized it wasnt working around Christmas but I defaulted to VS and that seemed to work rather well, but going to eatw is kind of like stepping into your home after a long vacation. And nowhere else has all the comforts of home.

Oh FFS, is this for real? Someone actually paid to have a botnet attack EatW? I've been sick for a few weeks now, so I'm behind on everything. I did know about the attacks, but I was hoping EatW would be available again after the holidays. I'm really pissed off that it's being shut down now (but not at the owner). The Dragon Market is the main thing that's going to hurt me, since I use that more for trades than the forums. Could somebody else take over the site? Who do I throw money at to make this happen? I don't have much, but I also don't have many real life expenses either, and if some idiots want to pay to attack our dragons, I'll offset that by paying for support for a good site. Screw the bombers. If someone who's serious wants to discuss the real possibility of this, PM me, though bear in mind I'm still sick and may be a little slow to respond.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, VixenDra said:

EATW was the only useful DC-related site (I mean it was more than just a hatchery or a forum/chat-place) :(

Any chance EATW could return not as a hatchery but as a tool site(so with everything it had like the market or scrollwide progeny lists - except hatchery)? And under a different url to confuse the attacker/s?

The reasoning behind the attack can be something else than an attempt to harm DC though... I wouldn't be surprised if that EATW attack was supposed to force TJ to finally remove death of sickness from DC :rolleyes:

I would be VERY surprised. I think someone just had it in for ext - or indeed for TJ.

I'm very sad to see that EatW is gone. The holidays were rough without it and I was really hoping that once things had settled down it would come back. Thanks for running a great site, @Ext3h, it'll be missed.

That is just so sad.😯

I really loved EATW for its DragonMarketplace.  It was fantastic having another place to trade eggs.  Having it end in such a horrible way is so depressing.

One fond memory from there was when I saved two cb silver eggs that someone had mistakenly setup transfer links instead of trade links.  I rescued them before they were snagged and messaged the owner to take them back. That was one really happy person, believe me.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:47 AM, Ext3h said:

EATW is gone forever.

Someone did pay quite a decent amount of money for the attacks during the Christmas event, and I am not going to deal with this any longer. (Just for the order of magnitude: Someone had the resources to deploy ~1000-1500 concurrent users/bots for 3 days straight during the attack. That is far beyond just being a little prank, most likely someone used a real botnet for this.)

The API access to dragcave.net (required for accessing scrolls etc.) was already shut down by TJ09 during the attacks, and I have terminated the webspace and the domain. The domain will be up for grab soon, so it would be a good idea to remove it from all signatures and alike, as I will not take any responsibility if a future owner of the domain decides to abuse it.

Oh my gosh.

I didn't know the attack was that serious! I'm so sorry this happened!

I always loved your sites tools! They were always very useful! I will miss them. Thank you for your service to Dragon Cave all these years!

Who would pay money to do this? Who would spend all that effort to kill a bunch a pixels and bring down an entire site?? Like who does that??? ???????????

If I may ask, could you provide to code to the tools you made to some of the other fan sites you trust? Even if we can't have the hatchery anymore, I would like if somethings survived from EATW, even if it's just the tools. 

Also, do you guys really think someone would coordinate an attack to methodically bring down the hatcheries? That would suck. (Understatement.)

That's so very sad to hear. I always went to EATW to use the CB dragon checker. It was extremely useful, and I don't know of anywhere else that has something like that. It was a great place to put your eggs in too. Very sad to see it go...

On 7/1/2018 at 10:41 PM, Shokomon said:

Also, do you guys really think someone would coordinate an attack to methodically bring down the hatcheries? That would suck. (Understatement.)

I do not think so. Warning: my own personal thought below, just a theory which has nothing proven.

I've just read a comment of an user under another thread about viewbombing. Their scroll has been targeted after the owner posted a trading post. Now, I don't know if all this story is related to trading, but EATW (requiescat in pace) has been the only hatchery that has been targeted and it was the only one to have a market section (oh how I miss the dragonmarket!). Maybe the viewbomber was aiming at that.