maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

Well at least you have some of it right?

A couple of days ago my sister plugged her ipod up to my computer so she could charge it and while it was charging it somehow managed to create a new itunes library to make it to where her itunes library was the main library on my computer. That made it to where I didnt have access to my stuff anymore. I could get to it but I couldn't edit, add, or delete songs from my ipod because it read my ipod as a guest ipod. Because my sisters ipod was plugged up it had erased all of my songs off of my ipod and I still don't know what happened or know what to do to fix it. I asked my other older sister and she says the only way she could think of to fix it is to redownload all my songs and add them all back to my ipod by creating another itunes library. I had 200 songs on my ipod before and now they are gone because of the new itunes library thing. (Sorry that this post is so long btw)

Lagie - it's an anti-virus download, so if a search didn't bring it up, it's probably not hidden anywhere weird and you just don't have it. Sorry that didn't work. D: Perhaps someone else will come along with a better fix? </3 That is odd!

Spottedleaf - Sounds like your sister accidentally told iTunes to sync to her iPad or something. Can you tell it to sync to yours? Otherwise, sounds like your older sister's solution is going to have to be your workaround. It does suck - happened to me when I got a new computer, for some reason iTunes didn't transfer all of my songs and I never did recover everything I had, including some stuff I had purchased with giftcards. =\

You might want to set up separate accounts so it doesn't happen again: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495 =U

Spottedleaf - Sounds like your sister accidentally told iTunes to sync to her iPad or something. Can you tell it to sync to yours? Otherwise, sounds like your older sister's solution is going to have to be your workaround. It does suck - happened to me when I got a new computer, for some reason iTunes didn't transfer all of my songs and I never did recover everything I had, including some stuff I had purchased with giftcards. =\

You might want to set up separate accounts so it doesn't happen again: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495 =U

If you purchased stuff through iTunes, you should be able to re-download them if you go to the "purchases" section of the store, IIRC...In fact, I think ANY site or whatever you can buy music from, like Amazon, allows you to re-download them since you bought them already? It's retroactive for iTunes, I know that.

The best solution for the future could also be to just collect ALL the media in one library and set up separate "playlists" and things so you can choose what to add to each device. That's what I do with my mom. o3o

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Then you need to either create a new library, or re-download all of your songs to the new library, essentially pooling all of your media together, which might be safer in the long run anyway. o3o

If you purchased stuff through iTunes, you should be able to re-download them if you go to the "purchases" section of the store, IIRC...In fact, I think ANY site or whatever you can buy music from, like Amazon, allows you to re-download them since you bought them already? It's retroactive for iTunes, I know that.

Mine were missing from purchases. They were just completely purged. We never figured out why, but it was years ago, so I'm over it, lol. No need to go searching for it when it was that long ago. =p

I have since switched computers again since then as well as started over with a new hard drive on the old and new computer and haven't had the problem again, anyway.

I still hve most of my songs on my computer

You mean the files? You should be able to drag them into iTunes again.

I have a wonderful laptop I've been using for years. It's awesome and I love it. It's a Sansung R540 model and it runs Windows 7. However, IT people, I need help.

I am running out of space. Specifically, on my C: drive. I don't know what to do! Will buying an external hard drive to hold most of my junk (ex. pictures, some music etc) help? I can't really get rid of programs because I'm using all the ones I have currently installed.

What can I do to free up some space in my computer?

Image, if this helps: Link

And before you say "delete unneeded programs/defragment the drive/compress the drive", I already did that.

Edited by King_Max_Cat

Since you've already done some stuff, I think the only thing you can really do now is move things like pictures and music, etc to external hard drives or cloud storage.

You can probably search for junk files like "read me" .pdf/.rtt files, unneeded .zip files, stuff like that. I did that and freed up some space. Some programs also have various languages they can be in and you can get rid of all the language files you don't need. If you have Steam or something with lots of games, you might consider either uninstalling games you never play at all/anymore or at least move the files for the games to external drives.

Not sure if that's part of the defragging part or not (I think defragging is separate). I haven't done defragging much because I mostly use a Mac (there's essentially Mac defragging stuff, but in this case I mean Windows!), but I have done it. xP

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Since you've already done some stuff, I think the only thing you can really do now is move things like pictures and music, etc to external hard drives or cloud storage.

You can probably search for junk files like "read me" .pdf/.rtt files, unneeded .zip files, stuff like that. I did that and freed up some space. Some programs also have various languages they can be in and you can get rid of all the language files you don't need. If you have Steam or something with lots of games, you might consider either uninstalling games you never play at all/anymore or at least move the files for the games to external drives.

Not sure if that's part of the defragging part or not (I think defragging is separate). I haven't done defragging much because I mostly use a Mac, but I have done it. xP

One thing you CAN do is run disc cleanup. It gets rid of all sorts of unnecessary things (and takes AGES...)

If you can't find it in Win7 (I've not got that so I dunno !) - Ashampoo has a winoptimiser facility that does that VERY well; I think you can get a free trial... (ETA yes you can:

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/cad/pre/2200/Op...nt-performance)

But I save ALL my documents, images etc on a portable hard drive rather than on my machine. It also means they won't be lost for ever if my computer drops dead. YES - that is the best answer.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I had noticed some very brief black shapes flashing on the screen in World of Warcraft and then in some steam games I bought during the sale. They would appear randomly ans without warning. See this video to get an idea of the anomalies( particularly 5-6 an 10 -12 seconds in.

I switched monitors with my sister and when that didn't work I switched my HDMI with her DVI cable and that still did not fix it. I updated the gpu drivers and reseated it.

Last night I was playing Planetary Annihilation and noticed some small black spots appearing and disappearing. I took a screenshot of them. I have circled them for visibility. https://i.imgur.com/RTfiyFn.png Does anyone know what what is happening here?

It couldn't hurt to run a malware check - if you don't have malwarebytes (from www.malwarebytes.org, and free - click the button on the LEFT !) it might help. Other than that - maybe some games are just getting to be too much for some OSs ?

Oh - ETA - you say you got them in a sale. Maybe they are slightly defective ? Or even pirate copies ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

My random computer tip of the day: if you ever accidentally close out a tab push Control shift and T at the same time and it will reopen

I had noticed some very brief black shapes flashing on the screen in World of Warcraft and then in some steam games I bought during the sale. They would appear randomly ans without warning. See this video to get an idea of the anomalies( particularly 5-6 an 10 -12 seconds in.

I switched monitors with my sister and when that didn't work I switched my HDMI with her DVI cable and that still did not fix it. I updated the gpu drivers and reseated it.

Last night I was playing Planetary Annihilation and noticed some small black spots appearing and disappearing. I took a screenshot of them. I have circled them for visibility. https://i.imgur.com/RTfiyFn.png Does anyone know what what is happening here?

These are called artifacts, and are an error caused by your GPU.

This is almost always either an overheating problem, a faulty card, or bad drivers. It looks like you've already tried fixing the drivers.

-What GPU do you have?

-How long have you had it?

-What is the temperature of the GPU when you experience these problems? (Here's a way to tell if you need it.)

-Is your GPU overclocked by any chance?

-What GPU do you have?

I have an Nvidia GTX 670

I have had it about for about a year.

-What is the temperature of the GPU when you experience these problems?

Out of the box it idled at about 30-35 degrees C and at full load (Witcher 2 for about 2 hours) it would reach a maximum of 78 degrees C. I have changed the fan speed with MSI Afterburner so the temps are currently about 29 idle and 64 full load.

It it currently running at stock speed.

Does anyone have Warcraft III and the expansions running on a Win7 64Bit with the backwards compatibility feature? I am planning on rebuilding my PC very soon and have played the game before and wanted to again on it. There are other games I'd like to play as well if anyone has played them on Win7 please tell me.

Sims 2 (With Pets Expansion)

Quake III Arena/Team Arena

Quake 4

Prototype

I will probably be getting other games for it but as of right now those are the only ones I got that are not downloadable. I tried Prototype on my moms PC without that feature and while it worked the sound did not work at all. All I heard was some squeak when the game started and the sound was gone from there on out. (Thank god for subtitles.)

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Is anybody good with putting keyboard keys back on laptops? When I was cleaning my keyboard the minus key from the calculator part of my keyboard popped off and I have been trying to put it back on. The black things also came off. One of them is smaller and one of them is bigger and is in sort of the shape of a square. Does anybody have suggestions?

-What GPU do you have?

I have an Nvidia GTX 670

I have had it about for about a year.

-What is the temperature of the GPU when you experience these problems?

Out of the box it idled at about 30-35 degrees C and at full load (Witcher 2 for about 2 hours) it would reach a maximum of 78 degrees C. I have changed the fan speed with MSI Afterburner so the temps are currently about 29 idle and 64 full load.

It it currently running at stock speed.

Yikes, I'm sorry for not responding, I completely forgot about this thread!

I don't know if you've come to a resolution in the time from then to now, but I'll keep going anyway.

Unfortunately, since you've checked temperatures, tried a different monitor, and updated the drivers, I will tell you your card is probably dying. Nvidia places a warranty on its cards, but this warranty only lasts a year. You said about a year, so if that happens to be less than a year, you should file a RMA with Nvidia immediately. If not, then there's nothing that can be done.

Is anybody good with putting keyboard keys back on laptops? When I was cleaning my keyboard the minus key from the calculator part of my keyboard popped off and I have been trying to put it back on. The black things also came off. One of them is smaller and one of them is bigger and is in sort of the shape of a square. Does anybody have suggestions?

Inspect the black things to make sure they're not broken. If they aren't, very carefully look under another key to see if you can tell how the hinge (black things) goes together. If so, you should be able to tell by the hinge and the back of the key the proper 'assembly order' (like attach hinge to keyboard, hold in "up position", slide key on, snap down) to get it back on the keyboard. It may require a small screwdriver to hold up one side of the hinge so you can do the slide part. You may be able to google 'key replacement' and find a how-to for your particular keyboard. Good luck!

Edited by prpldrgnfr

Hoping perhaps someone here may be able to come up with something. D:

Alright, I'm getting really annoyed here.

You know the confirmation popups you get on cave for abandon and such and the popup you get for deleting a post on the forum? If I restart my computer, these work fine for a little bit (maybe a few hours)? After that they get stuck. I can't press the button, I can't move tabs, I can't refresh the page. I have to close the laptop and open it again and it will have loaded just fine - the action goes through and the popup disappears.

I can't figure out what is causing this stuck and it is hecka annoying to have to close my lappie to get things to load when I'm trying to influence and incubate my eggs. =_=

I'm on a Mac Airbook 10.9.4, FF 31. I don't have anything but FF up. I did try a virus scan when this first started and found nothing. I have tumblr savior, adblock, checkfox, session manager, and xkit. This problem is recent and doesn't line up with the download of any of those addons, but perhaps something is too out of date. I haven't tried disabling any of them because I use them all. =X I'm hoping someone else knows something to try before I start disabling addons to see if any of them are at fault.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Something is screwy with my browser, and I need to fix it or I'm gonna be going nuts.

Everything on the forums looks scrunched and small-ish, as if the zoom was a little smaller than 100% (but it's at 100%). And my e-mail, unread items are bolded--I'm not sure if that's an intentional change by the provider (I'm using hotmail) but it's new and kind of annoying, I haven't had a chance to check it on another computer to see if it's just this one or not (so if anybody else's looks like that, I'd like to know it's not just me!)

Interestingly enough, I don't really notice a difference in any other sites. I don't regularly visit many, but none of them seem to be really impacted by this.

I've already checked my monitor settings, too, and those haven't been altered.

So I have no idea what's going on other than that things on like two sites (possibly more, but at this point I can't tell if they DO look odd or that it's my imagination) look strange, but it's no consistent in the weirdness to how they look and also it's not on every single site.

I'm using the latest version of Chrome, though I checked on another computer and the forum looks normal there so it's just mine where it looks wonky.

Can I have the link to those sites? I could see if they are like that on my computer as well. I already have my computer zoomed to over 100% (some sites its at 125% and some even 150% because of my eyes) And I use the latest version of Firefox.

EDIT: I actually have to go now so can you send me those links in a PM so I can look at them tomorrow? I have church tomorrow and its late and my parents are telling me to go to bed now.

Edited by Spottedleaf

The one I'm most concerned with is actually this one--these forums are the ones that looks oddly scrunched, and it's a bit of a pain on my eyes. But putting the zoom bigger doesn't help because some parts still look oddly small/scrunched, and I know it's not everything since another computer showed the forum perfectly fine--it's just this one that I'm using that's showing the forums oddly.