maustin89

Computer and tech talk and questions

I seem to be having a problem with the dragcave access. Using FF, all I get is

a blank white page with the little loading ball going around. No message at all.

This has happened in recent days for a short time and then went to normal, but this time it has been 8 hours

and still can't access. I can get the Forum site, and also any other websites.

Just anything to log in to cave is problem.

Safari and Chrome will get me in, but not FF.

I tried the self-help FF gives, but it is the same clear history/cache stuff, and it

does not help. Then they say go check

your proxy settings. I don't think that is supposed to be a good idea for me to

do. At one place they say it could be a security wall problem with website server

and the last update of FF (? I think that is what they say).

Anyone else having this problem?

Edited by grammydragon

Anyone got the new FF26 yet? I want to upgrade to it but the whole click to play plug in thing confuses me and Idk if ABP will work with it. Just wondering if anyone has that and FF26 yet.

I would like to learn several programming languages. I want to start with one that has the following traits:

-lucrative as far as what you can do with it

-not completely inaccessible to a newbie

Opinions?

(I haven't read the rest of the thread so this may have already been covered...if so, apologies.)

Anyone got the new FF26 yet? I want to upgrade to it but the whole click to play plug in thing confuses me and Idk if ABP will work with it. Just wondering if anyone has that and FF26 yet.

I have. It seems OK. ABP works. So (critically) does SettingSanity xd.png

Click to play - no idea what you mean by being confused; I only let ANYTHING play if I specifically say OK... I think that is part of ghostery, Flashblock and noscript. All of which run. I had to update something - I forget what.

I have. It seems OK. ABP works. So (critically) does SettingSanity xd.png

Click to play - no idea what you mean by being confused; I only let ANYTHING play if I specifically say OK... I think that is part of ghostery, Flashblock and noscript. All of which run. I had to update something - I forget what.

I don't think I even have it set like that as I don't have those other add ons. From how it sounded it was like it took ABP out so wanted to make sure it didn't. Still don't wanna upgrade but will have to sooner or later. ;-;

Where did it suggest that ??? I'm fascinated !

Where did it suggest that ??? I'm fascinated !

From how the whole click to play thing was that's why I thought it took out ABP as I have never used the click to play thing at all. The only places I go where stuff is auto is YouTube and Tumblr (really wish I could figure out how to disable them without blocking the site it's on). Other than that I don't know what this click to play thing may affect.

From how the whole click to play thing was that's why I thought it took out ABP as I have never used the click to play thing at all. The only places I go where stuff is auto is YouTube and Tumblr (really wish I could figure out how to disable them without blocking the site it's on). Other than that I don't know what this click to play thing may affect.

I haven't used FF in a while but if there is an issue it would be with ABP and the latest version of that so you should check their site out. Only thing would be that ABP isn't updated to work with the new FF. Other than that not sure what you could be talking about.

Also are you trying to block ads or videos from playing?

I haven't used FF in a while but if there is an issue it would be with ABP and the latest version of that so you should check their site out. Only thing would be that ABP isn't updated to work with the new FF. Other than that not sure what you could be talking about.

Also are you trying to block ads or videos from playing?

No I just don't get the whole click to play thing they are putting in and how comments on a website made it sound was that ABP was messing up.

I have NO idea, but ff 26 is working fine and so is ABP.

MAYBE click to play is to STOP things in ads playing automatically - which would be a good thing if I ever had to see them anyway xd.png

ETA I think that's it: look !

and here are the people whining because they don't WANT to have to click every time. Well, I'd rather have to and be safer smile.gif I always HAVE had to, as I set - something... xd.png - that way ages ago ! Oh yes - the flash blocker biggrin.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

I would like to learn several programming languages. I want to start with one that has the following traits:

-lucrative as far as what you can do with it

-not completely inaccessible to a newbie

Opinions?

(I haven't read the rest of the thread so this may have already been covered...if so, apologies.)

It really depends on what you want to do. I started with Scheme, which I was told was easy, and learned nothing. My second language was C++, supposedly a harder language, and it's what got me interested in this. Most people recommend Python to newbies, and making a game with simple graphics with PyGame seriously took me an afternoon only during a workshop. But I believe C and C++ are teaching me more since I pretty much try to apply the same concepts in every language I come in contact with.

Java is widely used at the moment, but I think it kinda fogs a newbie's view to what's behind it all. But then again I don't know if learning C or C++ alone will get you into good programming habits honestly.

Also, it's easier to get into programming and overcome the dificulties if you have a clear objective, a project you want to do. And it's easier to decide a language if you know what you want to do too

Hello,

I don't know if this is really the right thread to ask this, but I need help!

Please!

I have an iPhone, I have it probably since late 2009. It's quite old. I have jailbroken it in 2011 probably.

Gradually my phone's been getting "weaker". I mean, some apps crashing, some websites crashing so I started to respring through a Cydia app and deleted 99% of my apps.

It was doing pretty great. I was only using my alarm, watching Youtube, photographing, saving some notes and using Safari for some research.

But yesterday at night, my phone suddenly has crashed. It appeared the Apple logo, but I was like "That's fine, it's happened before", but when it stopped, I noticed that my jailbreak is gone. I mean, all the Cydia apps are gone (I mean, coloured knob, weather, 5 apps on desk, etc)! And then, the only two Cydia apps (Cydia and Winterboard) won't open. Safari won't open, email won't open...! Youtube probably will crash too, but at least the Youtube app launches. D:

Thanks God all my files are safe.

Please what do I do? I want my jailbreak and my functioning Safari/email/youtube back! :/ And I can't afford another phone for now.

Will resetting my Network settings solve the problem (and won't erase my files)?

Please help!!

THANK YOU!! smile.gif

Edited by Slytherin7

I am wondering if someone here can help me with an interesting problem.

I have a computer that has no operating system installed on it. I also have a Windows 7 download on a flash drive & a DVD burner.

My problem is how do I install the download on the blank computer?

You'll need to use another computer to burn Win 7 onto a boot disc (unless you are confident enough with the BIOS to change the setting for the primary boot location, I'm guessing not as you are needing to ask). Once you've burnt a boot disc it's a simple as putting it into the drive and following the prompts on screen.

Any digital artists here? I'm looking for an affordable, used tablet, but I don't know what kind to get!

The intuos 3 from amazon is looking good, but at $140 for the complete set, it's still a little over my budget..

I've caught on to some stuff about computers but I'm not a genius at all. When in doubt go to Youtube, or yahoo answers.

I've got a problem with my computer. I don't know if anyone will know if it is possible to fix it, but it's worth a shot!!!

First thing is first, I have a Dell Inspiron laptop, Windows 7.

One day, I was just sitting on my bed, watching Netflix when my PC warned me the power was low. I took my power cord, plugged it in, and continued watching TV.

But the message popped up again, saying it was lower this time. I checked to make sure it was all plugged in. It didn't say anything was plugged in. I tried some things before it shut off on me. My dad brought down his power cord (he has a dell too) and I tried that one... It didn't work either. I tried my sister's cord, which also works for mine, but that one didn't work either. I looked some things up on my sister's desktop, but nothing was helpful.

Lucky for me, my dad was willing to switch off his battery with mine whenever mine ran low on charge. But I can't have my computer shut off and go back on again when we swap batteries forever. So he ordered a part, a power jack, and took apart the computer, put the new one in, and I tried it.

It didn't work.

To make sure he did switch it, he took it apart again and replaced the jacks. It still wasn't working. We're assuming the motherboard is damaged, but we can't be sure. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If not, do you think we can hand-fix it without taking it to the shop? Because if not, then I have to wait for a few weeks before it heads off to the shop. Thank you in advance, any help would be appreciated! smile.gif

(also we are planning on getting a standalone battery charger... just thought I should mention that!)

It's that time again when Norton wants to renew virus protection on hubby's

PC. But he is complaining about the cost of Norton 360 and wondering if

it really does a good job.

What about something by Webroot called SecureAnywhere™ AntiVirus 2014?

Does anyone know anything about this product?

Would anyone give any recommendations on what is a good wide-range

protection product (without worrying for the cost factor) for a PC with

Windows 7?

I've never had any problems with free antivirus software, like Microsoft Security Essentials and such. But paid antivirus usually have better features - sadly I don't have any experience with the one you mentioned. ^^

It's that time again when Norton wants to renew virus protection on hubby's

PC.  But he is complaining about the cost of Norton 360 and wondering if

it really does a good job. 

What about something by Webroot called SecureAnywhere™ AntiVirus 2014?

Does anyone know anything about this product?

Would anyone give any recommendations on what is a good wide-range

protection product (without worrying for the cost factor) for a PC with

Windows 7?

I highly recommend AVG Free. We've been using it for years and have had no problems with infections.

Magic....

see if your cord works on your sisters laptop.

also if you can look up the diagrams, see if there is a fuse in the circuit somewhere. may be just a blown fuse. unfortunately it may be a very small hard to find fuse. if it is a fuse, maybe radio shack or an electronics supply place may be able to get one for you.

I highly recommend AVG Free. We've been using it for years and have had no problems with infections.

Personally I and many other people wouldn't suggest AVG free, it tends to cause problems with the system sometimes. Same for Norton and Mcafee. I think any antivirus company which offers a "system optimizer" with a registry cleaner shouldn't be trusted, that's only me though.

@grammydragon: Webroot SecureAnywhere™ AntiVirus is not bad from what I've heard. Here's what Quietman7 (Microsoft MVP since 2007 and is a moderator on many security forums) has to say on the subject, and I fully agree:

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software.

Free antiviruses detect just as well as paid ones, just depends if you want extra features. ESET NOD32 and Kasparsky are often two of the highest rated paid antivirus programs.

I'm having a small problem:

For some reason I am unable to open "pop-up" windows. But it's not pop-up windows like ads, it's kinda hard to explain... For example, I can't use Weebly because nothing happens when I click the 'publish' button, but I know a little box is supposed to come up.

Does that make sense? And does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I know it has something to do with my browser (Google Chrome) because everything works fine on Internet Explorer.