Silverdrak

Silvi's Lair

I am so confused...I am just glad I can post my eggs and get views. :-)

Ah, really? Stats were removed? Is there anyway to fix it so it doesn't become a problem for DC? the stats were my favorite part about Silvis!

Another lover of the stats here. Is there really no way that stats can remain in a way that wouldn't interfere with DC?

Is anyone else getting weird overlapping with this new layout? I've been seeing this sort of thing for a few days (notice the text overlapping the buttons):

user posted image

Edited by Marie19R

That's weird - the dragon and eggs picture should be up on the right next to the title. I used to get that with other sites on my old computer - something to do with screen resolution?

Another lover of the stats here. Is there really no way that stats can remain in a way that wouldn't interfere with DC?

Don't think so. The manual ways (users check breeds) was ... well ... attacked by TJ, so I don't think he like it and I don't know anything else.

@Marie19R

Which browser is this?

The lair was tested with Firefox (v 3.6.18 - 5), Seamonky, IE 7-9, Safari and Opera. And I believe I tested it at work with Chrome as well.

That's a real shame about the stats. For those of us eternally curious, they were fun, and I liked the graphs that showed the rise and fall in in their numbers, like a stock ticker for breeders. biggrin.gif

Hopefully there will be a way to bring them back in the future.

I'll really miss stats! I used them to choose "not common at the moment" mates for my Rares, in order to not fill me with unwanted eggs! sad.gif

If I understand it well, in few words TJ said that you could manipolate infos for show inexistent ratios? If you are the only to access to you site's system and you are a trustful person, I don't really see the matter. And I don't think that someone could do this for show inexistent ratios... what are the advantages for doing this?

I miss the stats already sad.gif

And I don't think there is a point in manipulating the ratios, I know that my golds, silvers and stripes are not breeding without checking the stats -.-

TJ09 forbidd them, because those stats were not created using the API but (i don't know excatly which wax Silverdrak chose) by parsing ingame pages or the images of the dragons, both causes higher load to the dragcave then using the API would and causes false clicks / views.

PS: Well, there IS a way without interfering with DC. Just do something similar to what i did on EATW to clean fogged / addults. Load yet unidentified into a canvas and get the color of some pixels at well choosen positions. After send those pixels back to your server and compare them there to an index. In case of unrecogniced combinations tell the server to download the image for later comparison.

See https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Canvas_tut...al/Using_images for more informations.

Edited by Ext3h

TJ09 forbidd them, because those stats were not created using the API but (i don't know excatly which wax Silverdrak chose) by parsing ingame pages or the images of the dragons, both causes higher load to the dragcave then using the API would and causes false clicks / views.

I understand all except the word "API" xd.png.

So, it's just a matter of server overloading? I thought it was something like "you are trying to understand how I pull out rabbits from my cylinder".

I think TJ09 gave up on that one a long time ago...

Ratios are as simpel as (pseudocode):

// How to select which species a caveborn egg should be
for each(species) {
 chance[species] = rarity(species) / numberofdragons(species)
}
value = randomnumber between 0 and sum(chance)
current = 0;
for each(species) {
 current = current + chance[species]
 if(current >= value) return species
}

Calculations for success on breeding are similiar, just comparing the relative amount of the possible outcomes, then rolling a dice of the right size for each possible outcome and choose a random one of the winnig dices.

'Simpel' he said... x.x

Well, I do hope there is a way to make a breed check by using the API or put extra strain on the DC server.

'Simpel' he said... x.x

Well, I do hope there is a way to make a breed check by using the API or put extra strain on the DC server.

I really hope it too! The stats were really interesting, specially with the new update they got! sad.gif The problem is that TJ should suggest how to do this, in order to having stats again but without disappointing him.

And I don't think that someone could do this for show inexistent ratios... what are the advantages for doing this?

The advantages? That would be to prove that somebody can do it. Why else create computer viruses, etc. They're all just big-headed idjits who aren't thinking of the implications for the nice people like us out here.

Unfortunately, for some, creating computer viruses make big money for them. So I don't think we'll ever see a stop on people behaving badly.

But yes, I did enjoy the stats, during the short time they were up. It was a great idea to do, Silvi. Thank you for trying to do something really nice for the users of DC.

The advantages? That would be to prove that somebody can do it. Why else create computer viruses, etc. They're all just big-headed idjits who aren't thinking of the implications for the nice people like us out here.

Unfortunately, for some, creating computer viruses make big money for them. So I don't think we'll ever see a stop on people behaving badly.

But yes, I did enjoy the stats, during the short time they were up. It was a great idea to do, Silvi. Thank you for trying to do something really nice for the users of DC.

Ok, you prove that you can do it, and so?? The only thing you'll got is the perpetual TJ's ban from DC. And all the dragons you raised will be lost. Fortunately there will not be complications for us, but only for the culprit.

However, thank you Silvi for all the work you did giving us that nice and useful tool. I hope you'll not be so embittered by what happened smile.gif

You DO know that TJ did that himself? He wrote a code that gave the wrong information to Silvi's page just to prove that someone could do it. xd.png

You DO know that TJ did that himself? He wrote a code that gave the wrong information to Silvi's page just to prove that someone could do it.  xd.png

I know! mad.gif

He could do it as he built the site, so he knows how to change it! Even if you are able to write that code, you should have access to DC's server and know well where to put that code amongst the other codes! If someone could do things like this, he/she could change the site as he/she likes, no? If you want to change something, you have to know the site very well and have access to its server, and I don't think that other people besides TJ can do this. Certainly Silvi, or me, or anyone else here can't do it.

And now we are really going off topic!

Edited by MisunderstoodDreamer

And now we are really going off topic!

But I can't help myself laughing at simkim who more or less just called TJ a "big-headed idjit". xd.png

Edit: And I don't think that code TJ wrote had anything to do with DC's code or server. It was messing with Silvi's site, that's all.

Edited by CatCreature

I had the feeling that TJ in general don't want a feature like this.

The first post TJ wrote here was what I got as answer to my question if it is okay to keep the stats when the information for it is gathered in another way, not via script.

So currently I don't feel like trying something else. ._.

But I can't help myself laughing at simkim who more or less just called TJ a "big-headed idjit". xd.png

Edit: And I don't think that code TJ wrote had anything to do with DC's code or server. It was messing with Silvi's site, that's all.

O_O O_O

She was talking about the bad guys that creates viruses, not TJ! Who could be so idiot to call TJ like that in public, and in his own forum!

And, TJ said that he was changing some egg's markings from their own to "Mint", in order to make the stats show a lot of Mint eggs, so the change was in the database of DC.

O_O O_O

She was talking about the bad guys that creates viruses, not TJ! Who could be so idiot to call TJ like that in public, and in his own forum!

I know, that's why I said 'more or less'. tongue.gif I mean, TJ did write that code to show that someone could mess with the information put in those fields.

And, TJ said that he was changing some egg's markings from their own to "Mint", in order to make the stats show a lot of Mint eggs, so the change was in the database of DC.

Huh? I thought he put the 'mint' in that field at Silvi's page where we were asked to put in the breeds names, to classify them for the (then broken/now gone) breed stats.

Not that he changed DC in any way.

And the automatic method being used was not only generating an extremely high number of requests to the DC server, but also bypassing the API.

*Stats lover here*

We could ask TJ09 to update the API to send information to fansites about dragon types.

Something like

Type: integer

where

1 = mint

2 = gray

3 = peeble

etc...

It's simple to implement, no server load, no bypassing the API, problem solved.