Silverdrak

Silvi's Lair

Looking at all the adults in the ER, I would say the site has no API access currently.

Oh, dear... I ran Silvi's (laggy but working OK) for a while this morning, than ran 4 other sites I'm using for several hours, (which were all running, as is Valley Sherwood which I also went back to running when returning to View at Silvi's so this isn't my computer issue,) but now I can't get Silvi's at all just this:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at lair.silverdrak.de.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Silvi's (and DDF) being the first place(s) my new dragons safely go, this issue makes for sad eggs...

It is currently working for me now.

Thank you, rubyshoes, and thank goodness it's working for me as well, lol - hard to manage without Silvi's!

It's my favorite site too smile.gif But I can't get it to load on my comp today.

Loads fine for me, at this time. I'm located in Germany, maybe location is an issue; sometimes a routing point is down and affecting loading of sites.

This is the first time I've ever seen Silvi's with first 2, (including me) then 3 and 5 people on...

Total Entries: 10249

Total Scrolls: 2057

Total Eggs: 3155

Total Hatchlings: 7093

Total Fogged: 178

Total CBs: 5533

I think we need another awareness campaign about how fansites can only give out what WE, the users, put in, because the numbers keep getting worse and only seem to pick up when a lot of people pop in and out, often without Viewing at all, during Releases...

Anyone have the energy and brain-power to do that? (I don't, but I think I'll go see if the old Clicking Club thread is still around to dust off and bring back up.)

Edit: don't see it - but there were a whole 9 people in the hatchery when I stopped in on the way back to clean...

Edited by Syphoneira

Hello.. I have a problem.. Or maybe I don't but when I upload my scroll to your hatchery it shows an unknown hidden thing! :/ I checked my scroll, action log and my bred dragons and it's not just an egg I bred, picked up or abandoned (first I thought it could be some old ghost or smth). It simply isn't on my scroll but still it shows while I updated my scroll to your hatcgery. I checked also other hatcheries (if the problem repeats-) and they show no hidden cloud. So I guess it's just a thing here..

user posted image

When I try to "view" the egg (by clicking its image on the hatchery's save page, it gives the You can't seem to find the dragon you're looking for. If I owned it I still would be able to view it, wouldn't I?

Edited by sroo

That bug is a feature. The feature is that you can see your fogged entries in the hatchery in the listing. So you don't have to unfog them to remove them. Unfortunately is has that weakness describe.

Did you abandon an egg or hatchling? If so, it might be that fog you see.

Two things come together here: On the one hand the hatchery needs a bit to recognize changes and on the other hand you can't get any information about fogged eggs/hatchlings from the Dragon Cave API.

So if an egg was added, then abandon/traded, picked up by another person and fogged immidiatly, it is possible the hatchery hadn't noticed the owner change yet and now can't get any new information about the entry because the API doesn't return some. That way the old information stays and it appears on the old owners entry listing. Asking the API for your not adult dragons doesn't return fogged entries either (if there would be some). So that can't be matched as well.

Just uncheck it and it will be gone from your listing. The new owner probably don't want it to be in the hatchery anyway.

Is Silvi's going haywire, or is it my computer?

Entered my eggs OK, but went back to check that I'd actually clicked them in but only one egg showed - as hidden - and then the hatchery eggs all began to 'run' up toward the top of the page to vanish, as though being rapidly clicked off from the top!

Clicked the page off and am scared to go back in, as it looks like a virus or something?

Edit: the Cave site went down for regular maintenance not long afterward, so may have been just a coding thing; Silvi's seems OK now, thank goodness!

But will leave this up as a note, just in case.

Edited by Syphoneira

As Silvi's page refreshes, it still shows what your browser has in cache from the previous load (like, lots of eggs). While loading, it will then replace the old stuff with new stuff, to make DC actually count another view for each of them. But when DC goes down for maintenance while Silvi's is loading, all the pretty sprites are being replaced by - nothing! That was probably the effect you saw.

Thanks, Ruby Eyes, it was just freaky because they were all disappearing in order from the top (the way they do when you go to the little click page on DDF, only really quickly) and the only egg of mine it showed was one of the two I had Fogged, although mine were already entered and I was just going back and checking.

I'd never seen anything like it but had heard about viruses doing things like that to text, and my scroll seemed to be still OK, so got a bit worried, lol.

But the shut-down for maintenance was not long afterward at all, in fact between one of the repeated refreshes/page changes I rather nervously did after posting here the first time.

No worries. The lair is fine. That's normal behavier while maintenance. Ruby Eyes explained it pretty well. smile.gif

I see that very often because maintenance is when I get up. biggrin.gif Ziiip! and all entries are gone all of a sudden.

No worries. The lair is fine. That's normal behavier while maintenance. Ruby Eyes explained it pretty well. smile.gif

I see that very often because maintenance is when I get up. biggrin.gif Ziiip! and all entries are gone all of a sudden.

Thank you and thank goodness - I ALWAYS use Silvis, which I've always found safe even for brand-new eggs, and would hate to even imagine anything happening to it.

Hi!

Wondering if would it be possible to add scroll security? So you need to add your Dragcave pass to add your eggs, or be logged in on drag cave for at least one time on that specific computer...

I've been viewbombed greatly recently, and I think that might help a lot u.u

As I said several times earlier. I'm thinking of doing something like that once I got time for that. When I do that I want to add some other features as well. I think I'll have to rewrite the Lair, so that is nothing that's done in a few hours. And currently I don't have that much time.

Also, the lair stops viewing entries with a specific amount of views. So there is a kind of security. That was added from the start.

As I said several times earlier. I'm thinking of doing something like that once I got time for that. When I do that I want to add some other features as well. I think I'll have to rewrite the Lair, so that is nothing that's done in a few hours. And currently I don't have that much time.

Also, the lair stops viewing entries with a specific amount of views. So there is a kind of security. That was added from the start.

Hey, how are you? smile.gif

Just wondering, could you please make passwords optional when you do this?

A lot of us really don't want to bother with passwords every time we go in and out, and I tend to View the fansites I use in rotation, plus add new eggs here as soon as I get them.

(I do that because Silvi's never makes 7-day eggs Sick even in Releases, in all the years I've used this site.)

I know I'd certainly be less inclined to use sites where I'm having to type in/copy/paste passwords multiple times a day into multiple sites, or at least use them less often, and I'll bet I'm usually in and out of here, adding eggs, checking that they're all on after Fogging (although they nearly always are) as well as Viewing, (can't run them all at once, lol,) at least a half-dozen times a day where I have to check back in again, (don't have to check out to clean, though, luckily, lol,) as well as multiple other sites.

But my scroll name is saved on the fansites, where I wouldn't want any pass-word saved onsite, so a click or two does it right now, unlike also having to type out a long and potentially typoed password or go elsewhere to find and copy-paste it every time, especially if every fansite winds up doing that.

And I've heard from a number of others who feel the same, that it would be a PITA without even adding any actual security, as there are so many other high-traffic sites to which Viewbombers can move and have moved in order to kill growing dragons all-too-rapidly, sometimes within minutes.

Not to mention that I'd then have to give out my password to any of the people who would post dragons for me in any emergency, which, however trustworthy they themselves may be, increases the chances of someone else getting hold of it by some fluke.

I know that I've already cut back on the number of fansites I support, so as to concentrate on a core group, due to the low level of people Viewing in general which I'd found coming back after 7 months off-line, and if more people are discouraged from daily Viewing, we're in trouble.

When I was ERing some dragons 3 hours late in growing up due to having over 5000 Views with VERY low U Views, (since the disproportion makes it even worse) in the wee earlies, there were 4 people in Silvi's and 42 in AOND (the other sites don't show numbers on) and I've never seen numbers so low between Releases prior to this past year.

People don't seem to realize how important Viewing and giving those U Views from first Views are... if those still running Viewers daily become more discouraged and View less because of additional extra steps, it's not going to be good.

I'm fine. Hope you too.

I planed making it optional, as I myself don't like to enter passwords all the time. I just want to add an option for poeple that have issues with poeple who viewbomb their eggs or hatchis.

I noticed the reduce of people as well. Probably I need to add some additional features. But I don't want to steal ideas for other fansites. AOND has a lot stuff you can do beside adding eggs that keeps people on the site.

I think the lack of people Viewing is due more than anything to people simply not realizing that we need to run Viewers in the fansites we use in order to have any at all - we can just keep up and run Viewers in the background while doing whatever wherever, after all.

I ran Silvi's earlier, with some other fansites, and then switched to give Views to several others, came back just now and while I was doing some refreshes and cleaning after entering some new eggs, the Viewers went down from 4 to 2 - with over 2000 scrolls in.

The numbers were relatively low in AOND again today as well, and while the other sites I generally use/View don't show numbers, the U Views I'm getting consistently demonstrate low rates of people giving Views back, and some of my dragons are growing up and even gendering hours after reaching 4 days, despite often very high Views from 6 different sites because the U Views are so terribly low in relation to them.

Your site is lovely and this seems to be a long-running problem affecting all sites and having nothing to do with anything beyond this general lack of awareness that if we don't give Views to our fansites, then we can only reap what we sow, so to speak.

Just checked the Viewer and it's up to 9 - hope this improves, as Silvi's always used to have a strong core of steady Viewers and wonderful numbers - and now it's up to 10 after another refresh, so there's hope yet, lol.

I hope they're staying on for a bit as as I'm off to bed soon myself, and the babies shouldn't be left alone, lol...

Edit: btw, I meant that 42 is also VERY low for AOND - 80 is low for AOND, which normally takes at least between 4-5 hours for any one Viewer to give all growing dragons a U View even with better numbers Viewing; I meant that the numbers are abnormally low all over.

I dunno where the Australian and other 'night owl' contingent is these days; there are a lot of people I'm just not seeing anymore...

Edited by Syphoneira

Would it be possible to remove the feature that allows users to add dragons via code? It makes it really easy for viewbombers to target traders who put up teleport links regardless of whether they hide their scroll or not.

Or at least make that feature dependent on the "acceptaid" flag for each egg ...