dakota1431

Naming, after parents.

The first offspring of this one is mine and follows a different naming scheme, but the next three are named properly.

Yay! For the first time, someone actually named a dragon after parents belonging to me. Feles Amare Cantico translates as 'Cats Love Song'. It would have been even better if they'd got the reference and named it after a Vocaloid song like its parents are, but hey... it's still awesome.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/6Ekde Idiotic Debate ahaha

All of my Two headed Bloods are named oxy morons about stupidity and intelligence...

I had a thing where i'd collect all of the hybrid fails and breed them together to make pretty checkers with hybrid children http://dragcave.net/lineage/WxM6Z

This is from the same original pair(mine are the second generations on the bottom) http://dragcave.net/lineage/UdnIq

This is by far one of my favourite lineages... Here is it's lines

http://dragcave.net/progeny/fWHEQ It's probably the only dragon where most of the names are after the parents in some form..

http://dragcave.net/progeny/ApDgM this too

Serendipitous Wish and River Tamm had a little egg that I gave away through the Gorgeous Tinselkin thread. I just saw the grown baby's name and just about died laughing -

Jayne is a Girls Name

Just perfect! wub.gif

I had one pair where I had named them Flame 5 gen 1 and Flame 6 gen 1, to plan out my lineage. The not-intentionally abandoned offspring was named Flame 7 gen 2.

Then I renamed my parents to say that I was flattered by it, and to warn them that the names would be changing again later. They responded by saying "Thank you for being flattered". XD

I laughed when I saw what someone had named the offspring to my dragon named 'the x-files'

user posted image

Happened to me once - I named two of my dragons after my friend's science fiction characters, Alayn Crane-Jenison and Cavary. They're basically a couple in my friend's original story so I decided to pair the two dragons...

And then I noticed somebody named their offspring "Alyan Cavary". xd.png

I have a Red/Holiday spiral going on, using the double-step formation. I cal it the Naughty lineage, which 2 members have continued on after my dragon, Naughty Spirit of Cheer:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/xLDN9

I was wondering if they would get the theme, and continue it biggrin.gif

Just noticed this on one of my dragon's progeny list biggrin.gif This is brill - thank you joannindiw.

I haven't been very lucky with my dragons being named. All of my abandoned or gifted offspring are un-named.. However I do try to somewhat continue naming patterns myself. Sometimes I can't really understand them so in order to not make a fool of myself, I name them differently. Edited by TheAkatsuki

Sometimes I wish that they didn't.

Naming after my dragons and taking only part of the naming theme I have going on is fine. Like... taking suffix or prefix. Or twisting the naming theme for their own to make it original.

But then there are straight out copy-cats, who take the entire naming theme and seem to have incapability of being original. I flat out hate it. For more than one reason:

1) I have OCD when it comes to DC dragons. I have spreadsheets from my dragons. Finding dragon with exactly same name theme makes me go through all my spreadsheets.

2) To me, Mynlighe means Moonlightelf. So to me, they're stealing my identity. I'm paranoid like that.

3) Lack of the bloody originality. Which causes me to go and rename all the dragons of the breed in question. Especially I hated case of one neotropical, whose owner didn't seem to realize that by changing the suffix, I didn't want the neotropical to carry same naming theme.

Next time such thing is going to happen... it's not going to be just name needing change... but description of dragon as well.

So yeah, my two cents on the matter of naming after parents. Keep it bloody original.

Kind of a judgmental attitude there. DC has a lot of little kid players who probably look at names and think, "Hey COOL!"

Probably judgemental, but after renaming all neotropicals 6 times after the offspring followed the pattern, you'd think they get it finally.

Naming after my dragons and taking only part of the naming theme I have going on is fine. Like... taking suffix or prefix. Or twisting the naming theme for their own to make it original.

But then there are straight out copy-cats, who take the entire naming theme and seem to have incapability of being original. I flat out hate it. For more than one reason:

1) I have OCD when it comes to DC dragons. I have spreadsheets from my dragons. Finding dragon with exactly same name theme makes me go through all my spreadsheets.

2) To me, Mynlighe means Moonlightelf. So to me, they're stealing my identity. I'm paranoid like that.

3) Lack of the bloody originality. Which causes me to go and rename all the dragons of the breed in question. Especially I hated case of one neotropical, whose owner didn't seem to realize that by changing the suffix, I didn't want the neotropical to carry same naming theme.

Next time such thing is going to happen... it's not going to be just name needing change... but description of dragon as well.

So yeah, my two cents on the matter of naming after parents. Keep it bloody original.

I'm not sure how they're supposed to know that you don't like it, or why you change your dragon's names in response?

Lots of us commonly incorporate names from the lineage into whatever we name bred babies, and many breeders are very pleased about it, so unless you can somehow place a patent mark/a warning not to use your dragon's names right IN the names of your dragons, where people can see it, they have no way of knowing what you don't want them to do or that you hate that being done.

I don't think it matters much if you change your dragon's descriptions. People don't bother reading them because most dragons are not described at all.

Also, I think the easiest solution for your problem would be keeping a strict control of where your offspring go. Most of us actually love it. I even got a name I was going to use being used by someone else due to having it dropped in the AP, while I was a bit; "darn, I was going to use that!", I was actually very pleased they had caught on my naming theme biggrin.gif.

To be honest, I would have never thought that, someone who changed the naming theme of their dragons, would be doing it because they are displeased at me for some reason. Specially since I don't check all my dragons on a daily basis, and might do it from time to time just to remember who is who (can't keep track of over 1000 dragons). If I clicked on a dragon I caught a year ago, and saw the parents had a different naming theme, I might even think I named it randomly that last time and change it to fit the parents' theme.

I don't know, sometimes I don't even think much about it when naming them.

I give all my dragons the "last name" of Ortisus. A few of the people that have gotten my bred eggs have continued that last name, and I actually really like it.

I have a dragon named "Fluffy the Decimator", and I bred it with "1002 Nights". The person who caught the offspring named it "Nightfall Midnight", and named its partner "Fluffy the Sleeper". That made me happy in a silly way.

Ahah, I'd have bred my Striped dragon with my Black in hopes of producing a Black Striped, but in stead I got a Black Egg. I abandoned it and haven't checked on it for a while. Today I went on its page and it turned out to be an Alt- And it was named by its parents: http://dragcave.net/lineage/wweKQ

(I was a little newer then so I didn't pay much attention to continuing the line-age).

I'm glad I was able to give someone an alt. happy.gif (It ended up frozen but I don't mind) And the fact that it was named by its parents really warms up my heart.