dakota1431

Naming, after parents.

When I pick up an egg from the AP, I try to combine part of the parents name with my dragon's name Sturluson, or I try and make a name for the dragon to match or reference a parents dragon's.

My Silver tinsel's mother was named RAEG QUIT, so in an attempt to match it somewhat I named the child ROFL-COPTER. x3

I've had a few people name their dragons after mine and it always makes me happy. <3

I just found out that one of the eggs from my Riding a Black Unicorn x Erupting Volcano pair that I gave away grew up and was named Erupting Black Volcano.

That made me giggle so much. xd.png I normally name their offspring after them anyway, but that's the only one I haven't kept that ended up being named after them. Thanks for that.

That would have been me (:

http://dragcave.net/view/taOaR

I bred and abandoned a few clutches of Marrows earlier this week, and now I see that one of those decided to continue the family surname from my scroll <3

I missed out on Marrows again this year. Sucks. >>

I name just about all my dragons after their parents, if they are not named, I sometimes use part of their codes. So I hope that some breeders like what I'm doing. wink.gif

just one example:

Horrodant (parents The Horrors and Verdant Expletive)

and Honey Here (parents Herleifr and Honeydew Ice Danyan)

came from the AP and I named them after their parents.

Their offspring I either send to the AP or gift them over some thread.

Two were named after their parents (Honeydant and Horrodant Here) and one was names after me and the mother (Lily's Honeysuckle Tinselkin)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/0PHfK

Edited by lilysally

It happened to me once, I give all the dragons on my scroll the same surname.

Someone used the same one on a black I abandonned, I love it when people do that.

I used to just name my dragons, but since then, I have run out of ideas, so now I name after parents and names running through lineages for long lineages. Now, I am going through to rename all of my lineaged dragons this way.

I also love it when people pick up one of my abandoneds and continue with the naming deal, and, I especially loved the random person who picked up my accidental abandoned dragon (1st perfect 7th gen in my lineage) and froze it.

Edited by Luna1331

Just got a Silver Tinslet (H). Parents names are Shajanas Gift and (jDHE0) so I called it Shadheo. I'm loving the name, kind of like Shadow but more exotic. Just right for a Tinsel!

I love it when my bred eggs are named after their parents. Nowadays I don't usually abandon, unless I have a very good reason to, but back when I only had five egg spots I was more prone to do so. This Geode is the best example. Totally cool name.

Of course, I've had my scroll so long that a lot of my dragons' offspring have lost their names! Sadface.

I'm also loving the tinsel name schemes. Some of them are no big deal, but I recently got a Tinselfail Vine out of the F-bomb line, which I promptly named IX Eff This. happy.gif

Edited by MindsEye

I recently acquired this in a trade, and named it according to its parents' names :3

I love it when that happens. Honestly, I hate seeing random names on my parents' children. It makes me go 'what, the time I took to make a lineage name wasn't good enough for you? If it ain't taken, use it!'. It's also a respect thing, especially on my rares. I don't normally continue the name based on prior knowledge, but I may/may not. I don't really pay attention to it, but I take the time to have all of my dragons named. I love when I see nice lineages with nice names.

See, this I am really not okay with. I have no idea what the name represents, or why. http://dragcave.net/lineage/fPp9d

I have "Rusty Colorado Skies", the daughter of "BlackDragon71's Colorado Rust" and "1998 Riesling to Love You" (which made me think of skies. xd.png).

I occasionally name dragons after their parents in some way, but usually only when 1. It's a very well-known line (Dorkface, Thuwed, etc.) or 2. I find the parents' names particularly striking or relevant to things I'm interested in. (If anyone specifically asked me in a gift or trade to include something in a dragon's name, I'd almost certainly be glad to do so - can't remember that ever coming up, though.)

I have my own naming scheme - my dragons are almost all given names in Elvish, with a surname that's an Elvish word for some specific type of dragon. So, unless one of the above situations comes up, I'm most likely to just stick with my own theme, even if I do rather like the parents' names.

When it comes to my own dragons' offspring... a few people have continued my naming schemes, and I always find that really neat. (Actually, a couple people that I've gifted eggs to have even named the dragon after me in some way, which I found particularly touching.) I certainly don't get upset if they don't choose to continue patterns or surnames I've established, though, and if I'm giving eggs as gifts I don't like to ask people to give specific names - I prefer to make gifts as genuinely free, with no strings attached, whenever possible. I do enjoy seeing them given some name, rather than being left nameless, but there too it's only a minor disappointment if they don't, just like when someone doesn't choose to continue a lineage pattern. Whether I gifted/traded or sent it to the AP, it's their dragon now, their choice to do with it what they want. :)

Edited by Imbecamiel

I dont usually name my dragons after the parents unless its very special or its a lineage dragon. I will add Thuwed and Dorkface to the name and I have a D'Hennegel which will carry on the name also.

I have a couple dragons from friends on another board where I added a surname as a respect thing. I've donated tinsels to them and they worked the parents name into the offspring's, which I think is sweet. If I did a trade and the donor asked me to carry on a name, I would.

When I name dragons, I try to name them after the parents. smile.gif Because it always tickles me pink when people do it for my dragons' offspring, so I hope that when I do it, people notice and are happy that their lineages are being carried on!

I have a dragon called Robyn Wolf (my very first dragon in fact!) and I bred it with another dragon of mine while I was locked, so the egg auto abandoned. Just recently, I realised that the new owner had named the child Robein Wolf. smile.gif I was very happy to see that!

I love naming dragons after lineage! I don't do it all the time, because sometimes I already have a specific name in mind, or I can't think of a good way to combine the parents names. But whenever it happens to my own dragons' offspring, I have a field day.

Some examples of dragons I've named after their parents/grandparents/etc:

Arondar/Azamet

Haynote/Midari

Eineth's daughter is fancier than him.

Gamaea/Baltagor

Named for his father, knighted like his grandmother.

Born in the Stars/Great Burning Sky. (I named them after their parents, too, so this one is particularly delightful. Especially since I love the lineage; the nebulas are bred in their alt sets, and produced offspring from the opposite alt set).

From the Kal line of things.

Also from the Kal line of things, with Grandma acting as surname.

Singular.

Hamamora/Ilyndra.

Beromer, son of Berwe. (This one is really neat to me because of how close 'Beromer' is to 'Boromir', and because Beromer's older sibling - also not owned by me - has a mate named 'Gandolf'.)

Duraen/Lorelia

Inuyasha addition.

Named after grandpa. (And from her unnamed sister, listed below...)

Named after great-great-great-grandmother. (A messy and inbred line, but one I love anyway, since the afforementioned great-great-great-grandmother is the daughter of my first dragon.)

Some examples of my dragons' offspring which people have named after their parents/etc:

Eirhydd/Eirde

Lake this.

Ruddertail/Quecue

Son of Khallayne

Of the Manhatten Maiblums.

Ray of Disturbance/Anubis's Embers

Hitzewelle de Kassia/fiamma de Kassia

Tialma/Terein Lies

The family takes an aggressive stance to their concerns.

Roseteru/Senpa

Geisha-themed.

Skipped a generation.

I imagine he's troublesome at times

It's a little family...

...but it's been growing.

I think they might be fond of flying.

Featherwings/Gentle Peaceful Dreams

And a whole bunch more, but I'll just stop now before this gets any longer.

I found two that really stick out:

Freshmint Frost, son of my mint/ice pair Mentho and Wintermint

Born of Music's Passion, daughter of my tan ridgewing pair Groupie and Rock Musician.

I can't wait to see what names people come up with for the children of Lovecraftian and Cosmic Horror, and for the day when someone finally understands my pairing of Sir Henry and Lady Beryl.

As for naming my dragons after their parents...I do it sometimes when all other names fail me. I always sort of freak out when naming lineaged dragons...don't want to log on to the forums one day to someone yelling at me for ruining their lineage with a terrible name.

I love it when people continue my scrollname--I know I'll never be the creator of a great lineage, but to see other Rex dragons around makes me inordinately happy. I'm especially happy with the bronze tinsel carrying the name Gamma Rex.

SL:KDJF:LK I bred Lucy in the Sky Shimmer and Arnold Layne and the person who picked up the gold tinsel eggie named it "Shimmer Layne". I'm flailing. <3

It's nice when someone names a dragon I've bred after its parents, but I don't really keep track of the dragons I've bred. XD;

Well, I have one Bronze Tinsel x White Spiral pair whose names are, respectively, 'Love is for Losers' and 'I'm a Loser'. Just noticed today that one of their offspring is called 'I'm a Loser Baby'. xd.png

Edited by Ryvre