dakota1431

Naming, after parents.

My silver hatchie finally gendered, male, so I named him after his parents.

I almost always name after parents. It's just more fun to me than having a specific name used for my entire scroll and I like to carry on certain lineages.

I draw from several sources for names. I often use the parents as a name source. Sometimes if visible I'll even use the parent's scrollowner's name in part. Sometimes I use the code for inspiration and combine it with a perent's name or even go to the lineage and look for the first ancester's name. It all depends on how I feel at the time. It certainly makes it easier to come up with one!

I feel good when I carry on a naming theme or name chain based on lineage. It's fun and it can make the dragons seem that much more special. biggrin.gif

Had a couple of good ones recently:

Shunshimmer x Shunskimmer - Shun Chaser

(gift) x (fuNd) - Gift Fund

Closed Bud x Pink Panic - Budding Panic

I love it! <3

I've started naming some of my dragons with a mix of their parents name if there's a ' in the parents' names.

Also, my Ocredrake had parents who had 'Snow' as a surname, and his code was OtAm. So I combined that with my normal 'double-barrelled name' rule and called him 'Otam-Snow'

Just waiting to get a CB Ocredrake so I can can contunue the line. :3

EDIT: Forgot to add - any eggs I keep of my own dragons' breeding inevitably get named after their parents (Wyv-Finn, Indy-Ite, Emeral-Tai) laugh.gif

Edited by ZaraReaspa

I was looking at Joyeux's progeny and noticed the name "Dough." Blinking, I click it and it's mated to another holly named "Cookie" which made me laugh. Hard. =D

I've only really done it once and it was with this hatchy. I wanted to do it with my other valentine hatchies but my other sweetling didn't really have a name that could carry over and my 09 dragons I did take from the father's name but the mother ended up getting released into the wild shortly after she was bred ):

i've only had one dragon egg go to the AP (it was by accident) and it wasn't even named ):

just released another egg into the AP and I don't think it will be named after my dragons since mine tend to have one word names generally speaking. i'm hoping this one gets named this time around

I name my Daydream hatchling 'Spriatima' (after 'spritati' and 'spritima')

And I noticed my V '09 had parents with 'Schnee-Loewes' in their names so I named the hatchling 'Schnee-Loewes Pepto-Bismol'.

biggrin.gif

Just curious how people feel about their surnames being directly used?

Basically, does it make you upset when someone uses your surname? Would you rather people put (Dragon Name) of/from (Your Surname)? Would you rather it not be used at all?

Just asking because I do tend to name with surnames and I wondered what the general consensus was smile.gif

I am rather pleased to find out that a lot of my Valentine babies have Celestial in their names. And I'm even more pleased to see that some of their lineages were even continued. biggrin.gif

Celestial is the surnames all of my dragons have, and I am very happy that so many people have continued the name in my dragons' babies.

Basically, does it make you upset when someone uses your surname? Would you rather people put (Dragon Name) of/from (Your Surname)? Would you rather it not be used at all?

Just asking because I do tend to name with surnames and I wondered what the general consensus was smile.gif

I don't know about other breeders but I always get a warm tingly joy at seeing my dragons progeny share the surname of the lineage.

A few examples:

Hellfire

another Hellfire

**I have yet to start a lineage that consists of PB Hellfires, but when I get around to it, all the dragons names will begin as Seeker of______

Shallow water

And then there are the dragons whose names are a mix of their parents whole names:

Shallow Water

I also like when people with a similar sense of humour catch and name my dragons babies:

Flamingo frozen hatchie

Edited by emetib92

So I posted here about a month ago with two babies who I noticed were named after my dragons. But after a thorough search of my list, I discovered that SEVEN of my dragon's offspring are named after them! Those are my new seven favorite people. xd.png

It doesn't bother me, although I don't have a set surname for mine. xd.png

Personally I really like it when I see the surname carried down the line. It makes it kinda like an actual lineage to me, like someone likes the surname and line the dragons are from.

I love when others name the abandoned offspring after their parents, so I'm doing this (sometimes) too when they have nice names ^^

Dragons I named after their parents:

Harsh Blaze

Sparkheart Lilywing (although I own the parents tongue.gif)

Alekseeta

Facepalm the Fallen

Salty Mist (not exactly parents, but ancestors)

Honey Mist

Jaden Proxy

Electrocute Poison

Tropical Shimmer

Hatchling of Dawn

Dragons that made my day:

New Era's Heart

White Pheonix

Heavens Horizon

I don't do it that often myself, I must confess, but I find it very nice when I see that someone does with my dragons' offspring.

As for surnames, my dragons don't have one in 90% of the cases, and I don't really use other people's (because I don't know if they'd want that) except if it is a gift-dragon and I'm asked to do so or if it is a Dorkface/Thuwed and I actually notice that.

To the last one, there has been one exception due to my sense of humour that many people don't find that funny after all. I found this egg, checked the lineage and immediately started humming to myself (even though it isn't the same word but just an imcomplete homophone). And so the poor dragon was landed with this name:

Penny Lane Beetle

P.S.: If the owner of the two parental Beetles reads this and doesn't share my weird humour, please let me know. wink.gif

Edited by Tiuvelin

Actually it made me smile when I encountered a child in my one of my dragons' offspring list that I knew I hadn't kept but that still carried the parents' surname. They even gave it to that dragon's offspring as well. It is kind of nice to see people liking the name enough to carry it on.

I don't do that too often myself, though, since most of the time the dragons I catch from the AP either have parents that aren't named or I don't particularily like the names of their ancestors.

Take a look at this!

I usually name after my dragon's parents, and it always makes me happy when people return the favor.

http://dragcave.net/progeny/kXmV

The parents and War of Fools are mine, the other two were dumped on the AP to give people some whites with pretty lineages. xd.png

Edited by platedlizard

I love it!!! biggrin.gif

haha. I just went through all my dragons last night and re-named them so that I credited their sires, be they mine or someone else's. Helps with keeping a lookout for inbreeding too!

I'd actually forgotten the name of one of mine, and it was only the fact that their offspring was named for them that clued me in.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/nmHE

I've been naming my vampire dragons after their biters, and keeping a family name going where possible ... or sometimes just choosing the cooler name from an originating ancestor. It's hard because some of them do not have names ... so I've used my own a few times. I have a few that I named for their parents that I thought were adorable though.

Kitya Fanciful

Macaroon Kisses

Kesh Tionice

Rasha Hanabiless

Some of them work better than others. I hope some of their breeders appreciate the references though!