evina

TheEvina's DragHatch

And you do the captcha and all is well, no ? It happens to me every time my browser updates. If not - a) clear your cache b) try another browser ?

6 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

hi, i get this when i try to access the site. 

Hide contents

Please wait...

We are checking your browser... dc.evinext.com

Why do I have to complete a CAPTCHA?

Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property.

What can I do to prevent this in the future?

If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware.

If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices.

Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store.

storage catflare Ray ID: 69c57ca8e9f5558d  Your IP: 203.100.6.222  Performance & security by storage catflare

transparent.gif?ray=69c57ca8e9f5558d

i get this too since a while. even if i do the captcha, it does not load. i'm not visiting it anymore. a pity, i liked that click site.

Version 9.1.2 Released (Oct 11 2021)
- More bug fixes. (There are still a lot.)
- The site has been migrated to a new server. This may come with more temporary bugs. Thank you for your patience.

-------------------------

The captcha issue could have been due to an IP mismatch during the server switch that confused Cloudflare. I hope it works better for you now.

EDIT: Also, logins are unavailable for the moment until I can get the API record updated.

Edited by evina

can you get rid of the captcha? or at least use a different kind? I find those "click all images with xy" things terribly annoying

I am also not sure if the new background image is a good choice, the sprites do not have much contrast to it

Edited by Thaliel

Yeah, I'm getting the "do the captcha but site refuses to load anyway" thing too. It's rather annoying and disheartening to have happen.

I've been fiddling with the site just to see how often I get the captcha (not often at all and it always loads fine after doing the captcha)... I'm finding that when changing between site skins I'm sometimes running into this:

2dafd66fc5d9c2784637dd11148f13e7.png

It seems to be fine with a refresh or two, but I've gotten that notice multiple times while switching skins so I figured it might be worth mentioning.

Ok, after a ridiculous amount of work, I will see how secure the site is now by turning off the captcha for almost everyone. Let me know if you still have problems, but I hope things will finally get better now.

Glad to see the captcha gone. :)

One problem I have been having for some time, though, is that when I leave the site running in the background it stops working after a time and just gives the message: Unable to retrieve dragons. Please try again later. I'm not sure how long it actually keeps refreshing before producing that message -- it seems to vary. Any idea why this happens and how to prevent it?

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Glad to see the captcha gone. :)

One problem I have been having for some time, though, is that when I leave the site running in the background it stops working after a time and just gives the message: Unable to retrieve dragons. Please try again later. I'm not sure how long it actually keeps refreshing before producing that message -- it seems to vary. Any idea why this happens and how to prevent it?

Yeah, I've been wondering about that as well. My theory is that Cloudflare might prevent requests for dragons from being sent if the window is not in focus, but I'm still not sure. It doesn't seem the most predictable. I'm still fairly new to this firewall stuff. If I find out anything else, I'll let you know.

Version 9.3.0 Released

• New "view-all" page makes it easy to give views to all dragons!
  • New theme added: Midnight
  • Secured, logged-in users may now open their scroll by clicking their name on the front page.
  • More bug fixes

I hope you enjoy this update and find it more stable than before.

Ohh I'm digging the Midnight theme! A 'dark' theme without being *too* dark. Also really like the view-all option, I use that on other hatcheries sometimes and it's very useful.

On 11/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, evina said:

New "view-all" page makes it easy to give views to all dragons!

I have used this to kind of get around the fact that the site seems to stop refreshing after awhile.

My only problem is that if I forget to look when I first come to the site, I can't tell how many total dragons there are so i don't know how often i have to click the "Load the next 2500 dragons" in order to actually view all the dragons. Is it possible for that page to say something like "showing 2500 of X dragons" ?

I really love the website and I can only imagine and appreciate the work and dedication that goes into the maintenance, so thank you for this awesome service for dragon cave lovers!

I've been using this site for a long time, but I think one of the newer updates caused the website to consider my scroll name invalid lol.  It's been on autofill because of how often I have used it and it gave me the error message, even if I retype or copy-paste my scroll name it always says "Please enter a valid scroll name."  The thing is I started on dragon cave back in 2007 and idk about now but back then dragon cave let my scroll name fly with the backquote symbol at the beginning of my name ( ` ), it's that other symbol on the tilde key ( ~ ).  I'm guessing that this special character is the reason why I'm no longer able to add my own dragons.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a unique case, I don't know anything about how difficult it would be to make a fix, so I can understand if it's too much trouble on behalf of one internet stranger lol.  I don't really want to change my name, so I am prepared to live with the consequences either way.  I just thought I would mention it.  In any case, I appreciate your time and what you provide for dragon cave enthusiasts!  Thank you.

Spoiler

image_2021-11-05_221856.png

Edited by dojafish

On 11/6/2021 at 2:27 AM, dojafish said:

I really love the website and I can only imagine and appreciate the work and dedication that goes into the maintenance, so thank you for this awesome service for dragon cave lovers!

I've been using this site for a long time, but I think one of the newer updates caused the website to consider my scroll name invalid lol.  It's been on autofill because of how often I have used it and it gave me the error message, even if I retype or copy-paste my scroll name it always says "Please enter a valid scroll name."  The thing is I started on dragon cave back in 2007 and idk about now but back then dragon cave let my scroll name fly with the backquote symbol at the beginning of my name ( ` ), it's that other symbol on the tilde key ( ~ ).  I'm guessing that this special character is the reason why I'm no longer able to add my own dragons.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a unique case, I don't know anything about how difficult it would be to make a fix, so I can understand if it's too much trouble on behalf of one internet stranger lol.  I don't really want to change my name, so I am prepared to live with the consequences either way.  I just thought I would mention it.  In any case, I appreciate your time and what you provide for dragon cave enthusiasts!  Thank you.

I blocked a bunch of special characters for security reasons but I allowed that one now (backtick). You should be able to log in now.

---------------

@purplehaze

I suppose I could put the totals on view-all pages, but they will never be 100% accurate as the data is cached for performance reasons. The total counts are cached for 10m and the dragons in the view-all page are cached for 2h. There could temporarily be a significant difference between these numbers, especially during a new egg drop. The best way to view all the available dragons is to click until you reach a page with no dragons. I hope this is not an inconvenience. In the future, I might have time to implement a more elegant solution.

Edited by evina

1 hour ago, evina said:

The best way to view all the available dragons is to click until you reach a page with no dragons. I hope this is not an inconvenience.

I guess I have never clicked enough to realize that would happen. That should work just fine to let me know that I have clicked enough, which was all I wanted. :)

Thanks!

On 10/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, evina said:

Ok, after a ridiculous amount of work, I will see how secure the site is now by turning off the captcha for almost everyone. Let me know if you still have problems, but I hope things will finally get better now.

Oh wow, I was wondering what was different — things have been running so smoothly lately! It’s been fantastic without the captcha! And I really love the 2021 Halloween theme!  :wub: Thank you so much for removing the captcha. 🤗 It is working great here! 

On 11/8/2021 at 6:02 AM, evina said:

I blocked a bunch of special characters for security reasons but I allowed that one now (backtick). You should be able to log in now.

🤩 I'm so happy, thank you so much!!  You are absolutely amazing.

9.5.0 (Nov 29 2021)

• Major security patch (It was formerly possible to make unauthorized changes to a secure user's dragons in the database. Now all submitted changes are validated correctly.)
  • Made changes to code to make it easier to maintain.
  • You can now see a full description of changes made to your scroll by hovering your mouse over the words "Dragons updated successfully". This original feature was removed in DragHatch 8, but I restored it somewhat so you can see a confirmation of changes.

Please report any issues. Thank you once again for your patience and support as I strive to make this the best Dragon Cave hatchery!

A couple of feature suggestions which could potentially make DragHatch even better...

1. A note that says "the next egg could hatch in <time>" / "the next hatchling could grow in <time>".
  2. Creature sorting. It would be useful to be able to sort eggs and hatchlings by breed, by code or by how long they have left!

I found a minor visual bug. On mobile, with the Holiday 2016 theme, the background image is stretched vertically. It gets a little silly when your scroll opens and the page becomes taller as a result XD

I think a background-size: cover rule somewhere in body {} should help.

Hey, I posted a couple months back about not being able to use the website because I had a special character in my username.  Dragcave recently forced me to change my username so if you haven't already you can exclude that special character, the backtick, to tighten up the security for the website as you see fit.  I just wanted to let you know in case it helps, and I wanted to once again express how much I sincerely appreciate the effort you made so I could still use it back then.  Cheers!

On 1/10/2022 at 6:49 PM, dojafish said:

Hey, I posted a couple months back about not being able to use the website because I had a special character in my username.  Dragcave recently forced me to change my username so if you haven't already you can exclude that special character, the backtick, to tighten up the security for the website as you see fit.  I just wanted to let you know in case it helps, and I wanted to once again express how much I sincerely appreciate the effort you made so I could still use it back then.  Cheers!

Thanks for letting me know.

9.6.1 (Jan 28 2022)

• A new feature tracks and displays how many dragons you viewed over the past day, week, and month.
  • Backtick in scroll names is blocked again.
  • Other minor fixes

--------------------

Notes: The view counter is a BETA feature. It may be buggy or inaccurate. Please report any issues you have with it. It will only count views on the current device/browser. It also counts total views given, not just the unique views. Right now there are no leaderboard or rewards for viewing more dragons, it just helps you see your view contribution.

Are there any other other features you want to see in DragHatch? Is anyone interested in designing a theme? I plan to one day have a scroll report feature that examines your dragons by breed, but that currently isn't possible with the current API features.

Thank you again for using DragHatch!

Edited by evina