UchihaAce

Through Tooth and Claw...

Fang flew forward, not bothering to glance down. He had been flying so fast that a few eggs had fallen from the rucksack strapped around him and fell the the land below... He didn't care. The eggs in the sack were close to death anyways.

-------

Kitsune looked up to see a young black dragon hatchling creep forward, it's wings looking delicate and fresh. Kitsune ran over to her and scooped her up, running back into the cave and out of the rain. She placed her by the fire and laughed.

"Wow, there are loads of dragons wandering around today!" She pulled out the roasted dog meat from the fire and offered it to the hatchling; it looked half starved. "I'll go find some more food," Kitsune announced, getting up and heading back out into the rain. She ran off into the forest and found some easy prey; a squirrel taking shelter in a tree. She pulled out a shuriken and hit it dead on in the gut. It fell into the bushes below. She darted over and plucked her prize from the brambles. As she bent lower to get her shuriken she found something else; a dragon egg. It had cracks running through it, most of which didn't look like they were from hatching, and it was leaking from the bottom. Scooping up the egg and her shuriken, she ran back into the cave. "Silver! Silver, what kind of egg is this? Is it still alive?! It looks as if it had fallen out of the tree, but... It's covered in sparkles and it's a deep purple/blue. I don't know a tree dragon like that..." She set down the egg and took the squirrel to the black hatchling. "What's your name?" She asked tentively.

Kreen smiled. Humans weren't so bad. "Kreen." She nibbled on the meat and saw a Pygmy hatchling and she had to admit, she was soft for hatchlings and this one was no exception.

Nyx shivered slightly and blinked his eyes open to see a new dragon in the cave. She walked over to her and sat beside her. "Nyx." It murmured. Kitsune smiled a bit. She knew from her reading all those dragon books that hatchlings learn how to communicate within their first few days of hatching. She picked up the egg and sat back down next to Kreen and Nyx.

"Well, Kreen, you look a bit... Lost. Are you alright?" Kitsune looked back up at Silver. The rain reflecting off his shimmering scales made him look even more elegant. She pulled out a chip and offered it to Kreen. "Potatoe chip?" she asked.

Edited by UchihaAce

Kreen tilted her head. "We-ell, my foster family kicked me out when I grew my wings, so I have to fend for myself." The chip smelled good from her point of view. "Ok." I ate the chip. "Who are you?" she inquired. The egg that she had picked up looked a bit like it fell from a great height, for it was cracked. Then again, what did she know? she was only a hatchling with barely sprouted wings.

"I'm Kitsune." She announced. "I have no parents, so I live here. I'm trying to get humans and dragons to live together in peace." A few chips of the egg fell to the ground. If the egg didn't hatch soon, the dragon within would die of suffocation. She had no choice; she stood up and smashed the egg into the ground. It cracked more, but didn't hatch. She put it down and began beating it with a rock. If this didn't work the hatchling inside would be kied. But if she didn't act, it would die regardless. She gave the rest of the bag to Kreen;she seemed to enjoy them. She bashed the rock into the eggshell again.

Kreen's tail bristled with worry when the egg started cracking. She began to silently pray that the egg would live, for they were greatly treasured.(Sorry writer's block)

Edited by rainpeltstar

(it's fine, I've been there xd.png)

Kitsune bashed the rock into the egg one more time until it finally broke to reveal a limp hatchling within. She slowly picked it up and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw it's chest slowly rising and falling; it was alive. A young Nebula dragon... Male. She sat back down and cradled him. He was awfully weakened from the egg's damage, but it shouldn't be too hard to nurse him back to health. She looked at them all; in just one day she had met four dragons... What was in store in the future?

The little newly hatched dragon was a sight to see. Thank the stars, Kreen said in her head. Hopefully it would recover to full health and be bounding all over the place along with Nyx. She nibbled on a chip and sighed. This day was turning out to be good.

Kitsune reached into her bag and pulled out some medical cream, quickly smearing it onto the Nebula dragon's body. It blinked it's eyes open immedietally and cuddled up to Kitsune. Kitsune knew that hatchlings didn't necessarily need to leave their eggs until they were near growing wings, and judging by the size of the hatchling it wouldn't be too long until his wings sprouted. It might even be able to speak sooner...

"Hello, little dragon." she said, picking him up. For some reason he really seemed to like her.

"Hello hello helloooooooooo~" He sighed. She was right; he would learn much quicker than Nyx. Nyx bit into some more meat and licked his claws.

"Hatchie new?" he chirped. Kitsune nodded, guessing he was asking if it was a new hatchling.

Kreen grinned. The hatchling was so cute, yet it was a miracle of life. She nuzzled it. Kreen also wondered what would happen next. She was halfway through the bag of chips though.

Silver thought for a moment before reporting his own history, but before he could speak a young black hatchling crept over.

"H-hi?" she greeted in a meek voice.

Silver smiled at it and nodded in greetings. He was about to introduce himself, but Kitsune beat him to it. She ran off to get food, returning moments later with an egg. She asked Silver to examine it. It was covered in sparkles, just as she described, and was a deep purple-blue color. He tilted his head. "Never seen anything like it," he mumbled.

The hatchling introduced herself as Kreen. As they spoke, Silver listened in silence. His time for talk would come.

And suddenly a few chips of the mysterious egg's shell fell on the ground. To Silver's horror, Kitsune stood up... and began to smash the egg on the dirt!

"What are you doing?" he cried, though he was in such shock that it was barely audible. To further Silver's repulsion, after the egg cracked more Kitsune put it down and began to beat it with a rock, as if attempting to smash it to bits!

Silver felt like he was going to faint when a limp male hatchling fell out of the egg. He realized he had been holding his breath the entire time and sighed a huge sigh in relief. The hatchling was as black as the night sky and its wings were purple.

Odd, Silver thought. It's got wings already.

After a few tense moments of Kitsune nurturing the hatchling, it actually showed signs of life.

"Hello, little one," Silver stammered. Still a bit in shock after seeing the events unfold, his head felt really dizzy. "Excuse me for a moment, I feel somewhat dizzy...." Then he fainted, falling onto the ground with a thud.

Kreen's eyes widened. "Silver!" She began beating her wings to fan him and wake him up, even though they were too weak for hard flight. "Wake up!"

"I think it would be best if we get some sleep." Kitsune announced, plopping down on the old matress on the floor of the cave. She was lucky to have stolen it. There was just enough room for them all to fit. "Then Nyx, me and... Zarazo, will go out and go on some sort of journey, I guess." She looked up at the roof of the cave. "It'd be best if we go around collecting eggs, maybe even start our own little Clan someday... It'd certainly get me closer to my goal. As for you and Silver, you're more than welcome to join us. If you'd rather not, you don't have to, though..." She curled up under the thin blanket covering the matress; it wasn't the most comfortable way to sleep, but it sure beat the ground. Almost immedietally Zarazo ran under the covers and curled up beside her. Nyx, not being as fond of Kitsune as the Nebula, went off into his own little corner of the 'bed'. Kitsune had just noticed that Silver had fainted. Scrambling out from under the covers she pushed some smelling salts under his nose. She didn't know if it would work on a dragon, but it was all she had. Zarazo ran over to her, tripping slightly on his wings. How did I not know he had fainted?! Kitsune asked herself. Had she really been that lost in thought?

Edited by UchihaAce

(Writers' block, I suppose?)

Many colors were swirling around in Silver's mind. He was floating through a swirl of color and a few stripes of blackness, a light breeze fanning him... and was that a voice?

Silver shook his head and shot up abruptbly, looking around quickly. "Who? What? How long was I out?" he demanded, eyes turning to Kreen.

Kitsune put away the salts as Zarazo stumbled over. He pushed his wings out of the way as he looked up at Silver.

"Your scales are shiny." He stared at them intently. Kitsune was happy that his mind had gotten to the stage of full sentances already, but that was to be expected, she guessed. He had already had wings, after all. Nyx was still sleeping soundly on the matress. He must have been quite tired.

(Yep...)

"Lets see, about 10-5 minutes." Kreen said casually. "You ok?" She stretched out and rested on the cool cave floor. The idea of a clan was great, and Kreen needed a real home.

(Posting in response to UchihaAce.)

Silver smiled at the young hatchling. "I'm a Silver dragon, you see; all of our scales are shiny. Yours are pretty, too." He paused. "What's your name again? Zaro?"

Again, Silver always did have a soft spot for hatchlings... they were just so innocent. He was surprised that this one was not only talking moments after hatching, but had a gender already and was speaking in full sentences. Also, he was sure that the hatchling would have been killed after what Kitsune had done.

Kitsune. Oh, Silver needed desperately to find out why she had done that to the poor hatchling's egg. Sure, it might have died soon, but was smashing it really necessary? He thought not. He would have to speak with her in private about that matter.

"Zarazo." He nodded slowly and crept closer to Silver, poking at the dragon's scales in facination. Kitsune sat back on the bed and stared at them all. Within a few seconds, Zarazo ran back to Kitsune and pushed himself into her lap. She picked him up and crept beneath the covers for warmth, pushing them both to the corner near Nyx to make the most room possible for the other two. Zarazo seemed facinated with the huge blanket along with everything else in the cave, and soon began poking and prodding at her bag, the fire, and the other dragons before settling back to Kitsune. She was deep in thought; she'd probably get no sleep tonight. Still... So much had happened today. She stroked Zarazo's pack, making him purr with pleasure. He really seemed to enjoy getting petted. It was as if he were a cat. She chuckled to herself at the thought of that.

Silver nodded. He turned and looked at the rainy, stormy sky and tried not to grimace. It was far darker than it had been and he really ought to get going.

He turned back to Kitsune and spoke. "Thank you for your hospitality, Kitsune. It's about time for me to get going now, though." He stood up and turned to leave. "I may come back in the future. We'll see." He realized he had never gotten a chance to speak about himself or with Kitsune about the whole egg smashing thing, but he figured it was all right. She likely had good reasons. Besides, his life wasn't that interesting anyway.

"Oh?" Kitsune sat up, Zarazo falling from her lap. "You don't have to go so soon... You didn't even finish introducing yourself." She lay back down and rememberedthat they didn't have to stay if they didn't want to. She had gotten herself a nasty fever from all the rain, and her cheeks were turning rosy from it. She hid under the covers for warmth. Why was everything so cold when you had a fever? "If you really have to go, though..." Zarazo's head popped out of the covers.

"You're leaving already?" He asked.

Silver smiled. Maybe he could stay for a bit longer....

"Well, I suppose... as long as you don't mind; I just don't want to be burden," he answered.

(Please excuse my horrible case of writers' block. It's been torturing me today.)

(ha, it's fine! I have a bit of it myself. xd.png )

Kitsune had fallen asleep already, so she had been unable to answer. Zarazo got up and pounced onto Silver.

"Good!" he cried, "That way we can all be together longer." He slipped onto the floor. Something was off? He felt very cold and chilly... He ran back to Kitsune and curled up against her feverish back. Nyx yawned and flipped over.

(Writers block bites me a lot...)

Kreen was happy that they could all be together. She supposed she could go out for a bit to hunt...She had also completely forgot about the mole. But could she get it out in this weather? Maybe I should wait for more sunnier days...She thought. But still Kreen stepped out into the rain and sniffed around for any traces of prey that wasn't washed away with the rain. Finding nothing, Kreen went back to the cave.

(Darn it! Maybe italics don't work everywhere...)

(I have writer's AND artist's block right now. -/_\- Tell me if anyone wants to timeskip to the following morning! xd.png)