SlowHornpipe172

Abandon option on breed page

How should this work?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's two types of mass breeders.

1. <snip>

2. The people who are breeding rares/uncommons to commons or breeding dragons that have two forms where one is more popular than the other [dorsals/ridgewings]. They want to keep the desirable offspring and dump the undesirable. They cannot lock themselves since they are breeding to get eggs for themselves, but they can still fill up the AP with unwanted eggs. This is the kind Olympe was referring to.

#2 is why I would like to have this. I take breeding requests... I also try to breed hybrids for myself. When I'm trying to breed for a particular egg... and get the wrong one... a simple way to abandon it would be very nice.

If it was added, I'd use it, sure. But I still don't like the idea because it can be used by people breeding a ton of dragons and cherry picking the good stuff out of it, and to me that should be reasonably time consuming.

I'm against breeding to the AP in general, so NO from me. I'd rather you have to manually abandon every egg.

Which they can do now, anyway. It doesn't take much more effort to lock yourself and then breed to the AP anyway. I don't think certain people breeding loads of eggs that 'nobody wants' and filling the AP is much of a problem, really.

I wouldn't mind this being an option, and I may use it occasionally, mainly to get rid of tinselfails and things I'm going to abandon anyway. It would make it a lot easier. ^^

The difference I see between "abandoning from breeding result page" and auto-abandoning is this: If you're locked and breed on, there's at least a chance you may drop something rare or uncommon on the AP. Which I'm not that much of a fan of, but kind of agree with.

On the other hand, if you cherry-pick the rares for yourself and only abandon any non-rares, you make sure you get all the good stuff and leave other players to take care of your bargage, to put it bluntly. (Not saying that a nice-lineaged black from a black x silver checker is bad - but you're still picking the best - namely the silver - for yourself if you're breeding that kind of lineage.) And I still think that this kind of behavior - keeping the best, dumping the rest - should not be made any easier for the people doing it. It's a hassle, yes. It's supposed to be. Because it forces other players to take care of your mess. Otherwise, you could simply make use of the auto-abandon feature and risk dropping something desirable for other players to grab.

The difference I see between "abandoning from breeding result page" and auto-abandoning is this: If you're locked and breed on, there's at least a chance you may drop something rare or uncommon on the AP. Which I'm not that much of a fan of, but kind of agree with.

On the other hand, if you cherry-pick the rares for yourself and only abandon any non-rares, you make sure you get all the good stuff and leave other players to take care of your bargage, to put it bluntly. (Not saying that a nice-lineaged black from a black x silver checker is bad - but you're still picking the best - namely the silver - for yourself if you're breeding that kind of lineage.) And I still think that this kind of behavior - keeping the best, dumping the rest - should not be made any easier for the people doing it. It's a hassle, yes. It's supposed to be. Because it forces other players to take care of your mess. Otherwise, you could simply make use of the auto-abandon feature and risk dropping something desirable for other players to grab.

^I agree with olympe^

It's not so hard to lock yourself if you KNOW you want to abandon whatever you get.

I'm against breeding to the AP in general, so NO from me. I'd rather you have to manually abandon every egg.

I agree 100%.

There are other reasons not to lock yourself to breed besides "cherry-picking the good stuff for yourself." Sometimes I have breeding requests for my Tinsels and need to be able to keep certain eggs to fulfill requests. Or maybe I'd rather post one or two to Departure threads or Gifting threads or try to find someone without any Tinsels of that color to gift to, rather than just dropping them all to the AP.

Or maybe I'm on the list for a 2G Thuwed and don't want to lock myself just in case TJ chooses that moment to breed his Thuweds. Or maybe I just don't like to be locked in general.

That said, I don't mind the extra clicks to abandon and don't really care about this suggestion one way or another. But I don't really like the implication that anyone who doesn't want to lock themselves to breed for the AP is dumping "garbage" on the AP and keeping all the good stuff for themselves.

Well, you wouldn't have to stay locked - and you can always check if TJ's dragons can breed at a particular time before locking yourself temporarily.

Picking the things you owe someone or want to gift - the good stuff, usually - for either yourself or someone else results in the same thing, really - the AP only gets the less desired breeds. And that's what I'd rather not make any easier for anyone.

Well, as I said, I don't mind taking the extra time to abandon, so I don't care one way or another. I've dropped plenty of Tinsels and Metals to the AP and refuse to be made to feel bad because the fails go to the AP, too.

I think your definition of 'mass breeding' makes everyone sound like mass breeders. I breed around 30 Tinsels and a further 20 Metals weekly, usually over a short time. Does that make me a mass breeder? Am I wrong in breeding these things because, oh god, I might get a common egg, and I might even, abandon it?

I'm going to breed them anyway, whether people like it or not. And I'm going to abandon commons that I don't want which I get from breeding, whether you like it or not. Making it easier to do so isn't going to make people more likely to mass breed to the AP. If they want to, they can to it anyway. And will.

There is no chance I will lock myself and randomly breed things, because I want to 'cherry-pick' my eggs - which obviously makes me a bad person. So there is no chance the AP will be getting a rare out of me by chance, whether this feature is implemented or not.

You say the AP "only gets the less desired breeds", but it will do so whether we have this or not. People are most certainly not going to get up one morning and go "Oh, we've got this new abandon an egg when bred feature, I'm going to breed all my unwanted commons to the AP now, because it's so easy to do so"...

If you've got a problem with people mass breedings the AP, surely that's what this topic is for?

Edited by TheGrox

There are other reasons not to lock yourself to breed besides "cherry-picking the good stuff for yourself." Sometimes I have breeding requests for my Tinsels and need to be able to keep certain eggs to fulfill requests. Or maybe I'd rather post one or two to Departure threads or Gifting threads or try to find someone without any Tinsels of that color to gift to, rather than just dropping them all to the AP.

Or maybe I'm on the list for a 2G Thuwed and don't want to lock myself just in case TJ chooses that moment to breed his Thuweds. Or maybe I just don't like to be locked in general.

That said, I don't mind the extra clicks to abandon and don't really care about this suggestion one way or another. But I don't really like the implication that anyone who doesn't want to lock themselves to breed for the AP is dumping "garbage" on the AP and keeping all the good stuff for themselves.

That's not what I, at least, was suggesting. But if you want to dump everything, there's no problem with a deliberate lock (with AP random stuff) while you do it, and then dump again afterwards.

I think your definition of 'mass breeding' makes everyone sound like mass breeders. I breed around 30 Tinsels and a further 20 Metals weekly, usually over a short time. Does that make me a mass breeder? Am I wrong in breeding these things because, oh god, I might get a common egg, and I might even, abandon it?

I'm going to breed them anyway, whether people like it or not. And I'm going to abandon commons that I don't want which I get from breeding, whether you like it or not. Making it easier to do so isn't going to make people more likely to mass breed to the AP. If they want to, they can to it anyway. And will.

There is no chance I will lock myself and randomly breed things, because I want to 'cherry-pick' my eggs - which obviously makes me a bad person. So there is no chance the AP will be getting a rare out of me by chance, whether this feature is implemented or not.

You say the AP "only gets the less desired breeds", but it will do so whether we have this or not. People are most certainly not going to get up one morning and go "Oh, we've got this new abandon an egg when bred feature, I'm going to breed all my unwanted commons to the AP now, because it's so easy to do so"...

If you've got a problem with people mass breedings the AP, surely that's what this topic is for?

Who's talking about mass-breeding? Me? blink.gif

All I'm saying is that I don't want to make it even easier for people to pick the best and dump the rest. Sure, you can do that, and it's a legitimate play style - unfortunately, but I'm not trying to argue that point. I'm arguing the point that people want a more comfortable way to fill their own scrolls with shinies while forcing others to raise the common shiny-fails they produced. Yes, I know this is possible the way the site works right now, but it's a hassle, and thus at least slightly discouraging. Giving players an easy way to dump their undesirables only will encourage this behavior - and its effects are bad enough as they are.

So, please read my post thoroughly before putting words into my mouth that I never used in this context.

Well, I think that these days we have way more mass breeders (myself included) than in the past simply because we have so many more people with massive scrolls and more things that can be used for trades. Also, the trading feature means that more people are involved in that aspect of the game and are thus breeding for that purpose.

It doesn't make anyone bad for doing that - or for mass breeding for any reason, because everyone can play how they choose. However, even if it's not bad, there is a realistic consequence of it in that it tends to fill up the AP, and that often then turns off the main cave drops.

Personally, I'd use the feature if we had it, so on that level I support. On the other hand, there are a lot of times when I split my breeding into more than one session because it's taking a while, and part of that is due to the process of things like the extra steps to abandon rare/Tinsel fails. So it's not as if olympe doesn't have a point. While it may not be true for everyone, if I'm breeding a very large amount of dragons and I'm forced to split the session into two parts, that does give the AP more time to absorb my cast offs.

So, yeah, whichever way this goes I can live with.

All I'm saying is that I don't want to make it even easier for people to pick the best and dump the rest.

Which people can so easily do now, that this change will have minimal, if any, impact on the AP.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't you on about mass breeding, but I'm sure someone was talking about it, and you seem to think people mass breeding and filling the AP with unwanted eggs is such a big problem. Putting words into people's mouths is a skill I have yet to become good at, compared to most people on this forum.

Edited by TheGrox

Folk are going to abandon what they don't want regardless. I breed for requests and for personal lineage projects. If I get the wrong egg, I'm going to abandon it.. period.

So why not allow me to dump it directly from the results page? I'm going to dump it anyway, so why make me click extra? Saving 10 seconds making me click 3 extra times and type in my password is NOT going to make any difference.. the egg is still going to the AP, even if I have to click 20 times.

Folk are going to abandon what they don't want regardless. I breed for requests and for personal lineage projects. If I get the wrong egg, I'm going to abandon it.. period.

So why not allow me to dump it directly from the results page? I'm going to dump it anyway, so why make me click extra? Saving 10 seconds making me click 3 extra times and type in my password is NOT going to make any difference.. the egg is still going to the AP, even if I have to click 20 times.

Yeah, they are all going to the AP, but it is the time that is the difference. Twenty eggs spread out is a lot different than twenty eggs in a few minutes. Besides the fact that as Skauble pointed out, the hassle is a sort of discouragement to breeding a lot at once.

I am not seeing why people are getting offended here, no one is asking for restrictions, all people want is for it to remain the same as it is now.

Exactly! I was just getting ready to type out a post, but then I saw yours and you said it so much better than I would have.

This is not going to cause any more eggs in the AP than are already there. I will certainly use it if it becomes available and it will make my life easier, but it will not cause me to toss any more eggs than I already do.

When I breed I am looking for a certain result from it. If it is not what I want, it goes to the AP. That includes some very nice eggs, by the way, that just don't happen to be what I am looking for.

I also am not breeding hundreds of dragons. The only dragons I breed on a regular basis are my CB and 2nd gen metallics and my even gen PB stripes -- 8 metallics and perhaps 20 or 25 stripes. Most of the rest of my breeding is by request and has a new owner waiting.

Edited by purplehaze

I am not seeing why people are getting offended here, no one is asking for restrictions, all people want is for it to remain the same as it is now.

No, some of us are asking for a change. We don't want it to stay the same.

Whether I breed 2 eggs, 20 eggs, or 200 eggs.. if I get eggs I don't want/need, I'm going to abandon them. Why should I have to waste time clicking extra when a single link could be used and allow me to continue playing.

Truth is, I rarely breed more than 20 or 25 pairs, and most of my results are 'no eggs' or 'no interest'... and I usually KEEP what I breed because they are for projects. I usually run out of egg slots before I run out of pairs I need to breed.

But it would be very nice if I could abandon what I don't want/need in a single click, so I can get back to breeding and getting the eggs I do need and want to keep for myself. I'm not dumping dozens of unwanted eggs at a time, just a few every now and then. I just prefer fewer clicks when doing anything, that's all.

Yeah, they are all going to the AP, but it is the time that is the difference. Twenty eggs spread out is a lot different than twenty eggs in a few minutes. Besides the fact that as Skauble pointed out, the hassle is a sort of discouragement to breeding a lot at once.

^ This

I do not support this proposed change.

This would actually be great. Sometimes i just breed all my good dragons for the sake of sending them to the ap [i check first if its blocked/near blocked though... if it is then i wait], and ive had to lock myself with them first so the next ones auto. It would be great if i could just go "Hey your dragons bred an egg! Ap or keep?" and if AP type out a word or pass and just zip along without having to lock myself with derpy eggs i dont want or whatever.

/iSupport

I really don't want to get in the middle of anything here, so I'll just state my 2cents and get out.

I don't breed enough that this would affect me. The first issue that popped to my mind would be accidental-instant-abandon, but the OP says there would still be confirmation, which takes care of that.

Since this suggestion doesn't *actually* *change* the game in any way whatsoever, I see no reason for me to say anything but "I support!".

The only thing this suggestion does is make breeding go a little more smoothly. It's not going to affect the AP, because anyone who breeds an egg they don't want is going to abandon it whether this suggestion is in place or not. It's not an "easier way to clog the AP", because breeders would *still* be abandoning those eggs anyways. All this is, is a way to make the breeding process smoother.

... Okay, that was more like 5cents, but oh well.

I really don't want to get in the middle of anything here, so I'll just state my 2cents and get out.

I don't breed enough that this would affect me. The first issue that popped to my mind would be accidental-instant-abandon, but the OP says there would still be confirmation, which takes care of that.

Since this suggestion doesn't *actually* *change* the game in any way whatsoever, I see no reason for me to say anything but "I support!".

The only thing this suggestion does is make breeding go a little more smoothly. It's not going to affect the AP, because anyone who breeds an egg they don't want is going to abandon it whether this suggestion is in place or not. It's not an "easier way to clog the AP", because breeders would *still* be abandoning those eggs anyways. All this is, is a way to make the breeding process smoother.

... Okay, that was more like 5cents, but oh well.

I will say it again, it is NOT THE NUMBER, IT IS THE TIME. As I said earlier, twenty eggs in a few minutes is a lot different than twenty over a longer period, even if it is just a little longer. In the time it takes to breed and abandon, someone could have already picked up some of what you have abandoned, this lessens that chance significantly and creates more of a backlog.

And although this is purely conjecture, how many more will breed more once something like this is implemented that don't breed now? I know I don't breed often because of the hassle, and I suspect there are several out there with that mindset.

Edited by Nectaris

I will say it again, it is NOT THE NUMBER, IT IS THE TIME.  As I said earlier, twenty eggs in a few minutes is a lot different than twenty over a longer period, even if it is just a little longer.  In the time it takes to breed and abandon, someone could have already picked up some of what you have abandoned, this lessens that chance significantly and creates more of a backlog

But why does that even matter anymore? No "mass breeder" can flood the AP, there is no longer a way to suddenly see 10+ of username's eggs sitting in the AP at once. So why does it matter how fast they are abandoned? Whether it takes 2 minutes or 5 minutes, they all end up in the same place: the user's queue. No matter whether the person instant-abandons or manually abandons, that egg is not going into the AP any faster, because of the queue. So.... why does it matter? Unless you somehow think that a few users constantly having *one* egg in the AP is going to forever block the AP.... But I really doubt this suggestion would affect it *that* much.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding something obvious, I am trying.

Edited by Marie19R

I'm not sure how much the time would make a difference. TJ changed how user drops work. THere is a Q that all your dropped eggs sit in and people don't see them until one is snatched up. Granted, once they throw it back they may all sit in there, since then it's in their Q.

Overall, I'm kinda neutral on this one. I think we wouldn't know if it would change things until it got implemented. But it's reasonable to assume that if it's easier to breed lots of eggs, then people will do so. I'm a little concerned about that aspect of it given that we've got a good bit of cave block going on and I <3 my cb hunts as much as my occasional mass-breeds. Basically, I'd use it maybe, but I'm not sure it's a good idea in the long run or not.

oops, kinda ninja;d. I'm not sure if everyone knows about the user Q.

Edited by Vhale