grayorca

Temeraire

I saw the translated version of the first book (in Estonian) for sale in my local bookstore. It seemed interesting so I looked into it a bit more and I was really intrigued by it so I ordered it (in English tho) and I LOVE it! I haven't had a chance to get my hand on the other books but I will as soon as possible.

I read this too!!

Really love this series, but I got stuck halfway Empire of Ivory, when they are held captive in this cave. It's indeed not a book for everyone since Novik's writing style isn't very accessible... but I have read harder-to-read books.

I haven't got Victory of Eagles and Tongues of Serpents yet, but I have already seen them in my local bookstore. I hope I can get them soon... tongue.gif

I like historic fantasy, I like dragons, and I dislike Napoleon. So I really love this serie. I have the first, the second, tthe third and the fourth. I use name of dragon species as password. In short, I'm a fan...

I hope they don't spend another book in Australia. I was hoping they didn't spend the entire book there for the last one.

No offence to Novik, but I don't care about impending international relation troubles with China, I want to see Temeraire stomping the frogs with his sonic attack! tongue.gif

Edited by Kjakings

I adore the Temeraire series!

And definitely agree that while I love it, it's not for everyone. I just happen to like alternate histories and that made the series all the more enjoyable for me.

Given my own Dragon Adopters dragon, I think it's safe to say I'm a fan wink.gif

However, I didn't care for the last 70 or so pages of Throne of Jade. Still, what a wonderful series.

Just searched for this, so I am probably bringing it from the dead.

Anyways, my sister loves these books. Last time I tried the Throne of Jade was too slow paced but this time I got through it and really loved it. I'm starting on Black Powder War.

I adore the Temeraire books. Naomi Novik is a goddess of good characterization. To give an example, I'm probably one of the few fans who think Temeraire is kind of spoiled, and I can't even fault him for it because Missus Novik took such care to make this a product of the way Laurence raised him combined with his relative youth.

I also really enjoy the pseudo-science babble at the end of each book about the physiology of dragons, or the different breeds. I haven't read these books in a long time, but I still remember how thrilled I was when I first got my teeth into His Majesty's Dragon.

The possibility of Peter Jackson picking this up actually made me squeal aloud.

I love the Temeraire books I've only got three of the books but I love them.

I've known about the possibility of a movie for almost two years now and I can't wait until it starts production much less wait for it to hit theaters.

P.S Peter Jackson bought the rights to all of the books so if they get made into movies he will be in control of the franchise (at least that's what I heard anyway).

I'm thoroughly obsessed with the series. When I heard they might be making a movie out of it, I flipped out.

Started reading about a month ago, totally enchanted. Second book was a little bit boring, but later I couldn't stop reading. Very good book with powerful characters. And Temeraire himself - wub.gif

I enjoyed these books! (I even have a Temeraire on my scroll.) Someone here recommended them to me, and when I started reading I realized why. I was fortunate enough to be gifted the first three one Christmas so I didn't have to wait for them to come in the mail as I was reading. I did have to wait on each of the others, though.

Oh, I love the Temeraire series! I like that it's not all BLAM ACTION FANTASY WHAM DRAMA the entire time. I really like the struggle Temeraire has trying to deal with the slave-like treatment of dragons in the West. I've read all but the most recently published book, although I own it and it's next on my reading list.

I loved the first few books of the series. I adore alternate history, fantasy and dragons, and this series has all of them.

However -- and this is just my own opinion -- after the first few books the series went downhill. I have theories about why, if anyone wants to know them -- with the understanding that they are just my own theories.

I have read all seven books so far and love the series. I really like the concept and the characters. I can't wait for the eigth book this year (hopefully it comes out in German this year (could also read it in English but that would look stupid on my bookshelf... xd.png)) and the miniseries Peter Jackson has been planning. So hyped!

Wait? huh.gif Seven? ohmy.gif Hmm. I wonder how I missed that.

I have the first six, really enjoyed the first three then kept reading though I felt the series kind of bogged down after that.

Oh, how I love this series. I picked the two first books off the shelves of my local library to give it a go a few months ago, and returned the next day to borrow the third and fourth as I was already finished with the first two. While I'm normally more drawn towards the epic fantasy novels I can be quite fond of historical fantasy if I find the right author, and I really enjoy Naomi Novik's writing.

Sadly I have not got further than Tongue of Serpents. My economy doesn't allow new book purchases at the moment and Swedish libraries don't seem to be that quick in picking the series up, as the last book to be translated into Swedish so far is Victory of Eagles and my local library only picks up a handful of fantasy book in English each year. D: But I got my mother the first four books as a birthday present together with my siblings and she got hooked on it as well, so hopefully she'll buy the rest of them and then I can borrow her copies of the last two books. >.>

Edited by Meymo

Oh look, there's a thread for this! I really love the first 4 books; they're on my list of favorites. After that I haven't enjoyed the series so much, but oh well. I love the concept of the series and I've always loved learning about different species of creatures (I'm a horsey person) so I love all the dragon breeds. I think a miniseries would be better than a movie or even a movie trilogy, but it seems like it'll be ages until that happens. xd.png

I really want to read Temeraire and I'm thinking of buying the first book. I discovered it when I typed in dragon breeds into Google. It came up with loads of different breeds from Temeraire and other imformation about the book. I've started drawing every single breed from the list and now have a massive pile of pictures. rolleyes.gif I also discovered DC this way from the list of dragon breeds on Wikipedia. biggrin.gif Temeraire sounds really interesting so hope to read it soon. smile.gif

Wait? huh.gif Seven? ohmy.gif Hmm. I wonder how I missed that.

I have the first six, really enjoyed the first three then kept reading though I felt the series kind of bogged down after that.

Actually, there is an 8th book that just came out this year: Blood of Tyrants

I need to read the 7th and 8th books still. I love the series, even though I am not fond of History books. rolleyes.gif

Just reserved it from the library~!

I read part of it last year, but I was too busy to finish it.

I've now read Temeraire but only the first two. I intend on reading the rest but I'm currently reading other books which I need to finish. I really enjoyed it, I can't say it was my favourite but it was a good book. biggrin.gif

I absolutely love the Temeraire series! biggrin.gif I haven't read a lot of historical fantasy so it captured my interest just with how different it was and sucked me in from there. Haven't read the latest book yet though, as I always wait for the paperback and I'm not sure if it's been released yet.

Temeraire is a series I have loved from book one. biggrin.gif Haven't finished it yet, because my mother currently has the last few books, but I should be getting those back within the month and then I'm going to go on a massive reading spree. I simply love this series. biggrin.gif