Roon

Roon's Art Thread! Remember me? 8D

@ Sockpuppet - Unfortunately, they're right. I've read enough of these comments that I really believe the million others he's talking about also don't give a damn. Fortunately we have you lovely people to make up for it :D

@ earthgirl - I meant it when I said I wasn't going to draw for you, I figured I'd tell you now and save you the trouble user posted image

@ Everyone - you guys are very kind <3 thanks!

That's horrible, SockPuppet.

(Oh, er. By the way, TEG is my aunt. ^^ Just in case anyone was going "Who is the nub?")

@ earthgirl - I meant it when I said I wasn't going to draw for you, I figured I'd tell you now and save you the trouble user posted image

Oh, so you still haven't forgiven me. >.>

Oh well. I don't know what harm I did to you, but whatever.

You didn't do me any harm and there's really nothing to forgive. You just made me not want to draw for you and that hasn't changed and won't change. But it's just a silly drawing, you can do fine without (:

@ .Aeternitas - welcome :D

Yes, .Aeternitas, welcome indeed!

welcome to this maddness called DRAGCAVE!!!! xd.png

uhm, I'm really sorry that I'm going off the current topic, but I have a question. About Gimp. I need help with layers. And the best way to turn a sketch I made on paper into lineart.

blink.gif I have lotsa problems...... If someone would mind telling me here or show me to a tutorial it would be eternally, greatfully appreciated! smile.gif

You're going to have to be more specific about how you need help with layers - what exactly is troubling you?

As for paper sketch -> computer Lineart, this should help :)

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs9/f/2006/055/...rt_tutorial.jpg

/missed the Gimp part >_>; I have no idea if it's anything near photoshop D: You can still read the tutorial and see if it helps, if not, someone else will hopefully post to help you :P

Edited by Roon

Yes, .Aeternitas, welcome indeed!

welcome to this maddness called DRAGCAVE!!!! xd.png

uhm, I'm really sorry that I'm going off the current topic, but I have a question. About Gimp. I need help with layers. And the best way to turn a sketch I made on paper into lineart.

blink.gif I have lotsa problems...... If someone would mind telling me here or show me to a tutorial it would be eternally, greatfully appreciated! smile.gif

That tutorial Roon posted is basically how it works-- I'll outline the steps, since they're slightly different in GIMP.

Open the scanned image in GIMP (duh.)

In the layer selection window, right click the layer, and select "Add Alpha Channel."

Hit the New Layer button at the bottom left corner of the layer selection window (the one that looks like a page). Choose "White" as your Layer Fill Type, and create the layer. Use the down arrow button to move the white layer below your drawing.

Select the drawing layer again, and then go to the Channels tab of the layer select window. (It looks like a stack of red, green, and blue pages). All four channels should be selected already; right click on them and select "Channel to Selection."

Press delete.

Select-->None (or Ctrl+Shift+A). Then Colors-->Brightness/Contrast, and fiddle until the darkness is what you'd like. :3

uuhh I'll try that TPishek. I'm probably the newbiest newb you'll find when it comes to GIMP- or any other art program for that matter. blink.gif Thank you so much for the advice, I'll try to use it the best that I can!!

@ Roon: Well, I really don't know how to use layers in the first place. But, I should of been more specific. I meant coloring with layers. I know that normally you color one section of a drawing per layer, right? blink.gif Aaahhh I hate not understanding things!!!! D:

uuhh I'll try that TPishek. I'm probably the newbiest newb you'll find when it comes to GIMP- or any other art program for that matter. blink.gif Thank you so much for the advice, I'll try to use it the best that I can!!

@ Roon: Well, I really don't know how to use layers in the first place. But, I should of been more specific. I meant coloring with layers. I know that normally you color one section of a drawing per layer, right? blink.gif Aaahhh I hate not understanding things!!!! D:

You can use layers however you want, really. I have projects with 2 layers and projects with 60 layers, depending what effect or drawing style I want.

Learning how to use GIMP (or any art program) is all about playing with the tools; wondering "What does this do?" and trying it to find out. There's always the undo button ;3

Imagine having transparent paper.

Now say you had unlimited transparent paper. It could make things so much easier to draw! You could draw your sketch on one of those papers, and then put a new one on top and draw your clean lineart on it! It's so much easier to copy the messy sketch, and when you're done, you can hide that messy sketch by removing that first layer. And then you want to color it - well you want to shade, put highlights, and put base colors. And then you have all these parts - the hair, the eyes, the scales..etc. So you make individual layers for the base colors, then make individual layers for when you color in the hair, and a separate layer for the eyes.. that way, if you want to fix something, or you want to try new colors on something, or you want to get rid of something all together - you can just shuffle those "transparent papers" around, and only change the part that you want to change.

It saves time and energy :D as you get better at using the program, you realize just how useful dividing things into layers can be. For now, practice separating each individual item into it's own layer - and have its shades and its highlights on separate layers like so;

layer 5: dragon's claws

layer 4: dragon's hair

layer 3: dragon skin's highlights

layer 2: Dragon skin's shades

layer1: Dragon skin

obviously, you want highlights to be above skin, since skin will cover everything, and then highlights can go on top.

When you get the hang of separating things like this, it'll make it easier for you later on when you learn tricks like using the selection tool for coloring, or paintbucket tool, or using the graphic effects the program provides. :)

Hope this helps, and isn't too confusing.

The Coastal Waverunner is done, I'm just saving and uploading ^^

Roon these are absolutely lovely. I love the Shallow and the Nebula the best.

[if you're ever taking more requests I'd love to see you do a Night Glory]

o_O

This one seems a bit skeery to me.

o_o It is a little skeery. But it's so preeeeeetttttttyyyyyyy~ Thank you Roon! I luffs it! <3 *huggles the Waverunner*

o_O

This one seems a bit skeery to me.

It's got the look of a creeper... Those eyes... I think it's stalking meh. ninja.gif

*hides*

Edited by ThatDeadGirl

I will never do a night glory >_> There are certain dragon types I just have to say no to D:

and thanks! 8D

Awww sad.gif What types won't you do other than that?

I kinda wanted this one to go like the skywing but it did not work out ):

SO I MADE HIM CREEPY INSTEAD.

I kid 8D that was unintentional, glad you like it everyone!

@ the guy Everyone - Read what my thread subtitle says - ): I mean, come on.

From now on, anyone who requests when it said I'm not taking any doesn't get anything D: it's just.. I mean, come on!!

Also, I would like to note - to the people who've donated or commissioned and gotten drawings, I'll still take DC requests for you if you ever nab a spot. :3 People who've already requested and gotten drawings cannot request again.

Atm I'm working on getting my drawings into the DC store so I'm PMing the original artists and I'll see how that goes. Once I see where I stand with that I'll decide when to open up requests again.

edit:

@ Dusk - all the difficult ones :3 you can tell just by looking really, the magma, hellfire, nebula, stripped.. things with excessive details.

Edited by Roon