Dr. Paine

Description comments

My Necklace Repels Nargels (s1 Shadow Walker)

This hatchling wears a butterbeer cork necklace. She claims it repels nargels, annoying creatures that steal anything and everything they get their paws on. Nargels infest mistletoe which made the hatchling avoid doors during Christmas, but ever since she is wearing the necklace, the hatchling has even been kissed under the mistletoe. The necklace has no effect on the Crumple-Horned Snorkack, though.
  • Accept:
  • Accept: I feel like I should know these names. xd.png Otherwise, it's good.
  • Accept:
  • Accept:

#2: Your feeling is correct... wink.gif(Harry Potter)

Wanted to share this, and see if I'm correct in the assumption I'm makeing about the second comment.

Tar the Bitten finds the other vampires in the cave boring, what with their near worship to Midas Dorkface just because he is famous. He spends his time instead hunting and helping out the cave.

He sees his vampirism as a blessing, because now no dragon will wonder why he won't take a mate. Tar the Bitten is homosexual and though he doesn't flaunt it, some paranoid dragons suspect that he is not 'normal' other than his vampirism. He spends more time around male dragons, mock fights, hunting, you name it. His crushes are never there long, here one minute and gone the next. One week he was hanging around Red Hot the Loud, the next he's hanging around Tanned of the Ridge. His tastes are always changing, but he is good dragon and acts as a father figure to hatchlings that come into the cave with no parents.

Accept:

Accept: I call that a combo between mean and nice, all with hatchlings and other dragons. With the females, I wouldn't be surprised if he got slapped. Good job.

Accept:

Reject: Ummm...l don't know if that's appropriate to state about Tar the Bitten...

I don't think the second accept realized that Tar the Bitten is Gay. Also am I to blunt? is the reject warrented?

No, the reject is unnecessary. I think the description is really good! I'm gonna go find it and approve it LOL

@smurfette: You're welcome!

@brairtrainer: The description looks alright to me. It's not graphic or anything, so I think it'll pass.

I'm one of the blank accepts, by the way. :)

Update on Welcome: I have four commentless accepts thus far, which is nice. When I first submitted his description, I too was hit by the phantom rejecter, though I didn't pay it much mind. It seems like everyone has had a run-in with them recently.

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

@brairtrainer: The description looks alright to me. It's not graphic or anything, so I think it'll pass.

I'm one of the blank accepts, by the way. smile.gif

Update on Welcome: I have four commentless accepts thus far, which is nice. When I first submitted his description, I too was hit by the phantom rejecter, though I didn't pay it much mind. It seems like everyone has had a run-in with them recently.

Thanks smile.gif

I almost feel like we need an icon or theme music for the phantom rejector, sounds like a villian name...

Oh yes, we do indeed need a Phanton Rejector thingie! An icon would be nice. Red REJECT stamp would be nice for a part of it. Terrible at animating though, otherwise I would do it.

In other news, updated Cxat's description and recieved two nice comments on it!

Cxat Somatra:

Intelligent, shy, secretive, and a lover of mysteries and puzzles. All of these words describe Cxat, pronounced "S-zat". Cxat grew up under the care of Trija Somatra, leader of the Weyr. Her talents in magical arts lie especially in stealth magic, enabling her to hide herself from nearly all sorts of beings. Many find her true nature an enigma or they have been decieved to believe that she is who she projects herself to be; a shy, quiet, perfectly normal studious magi. Very few are aware that she loves Examina, another female of the Weyr, and she would like to keep it this way. She's still not quite sure why she fell for the Guardian, and considers it a mystery that may never be solved.

Accept: Very nice.

Accept: Yay, lesbian dragons! Double thumbs up from me! smile.gif

When Magikarp was born, her entire family went into a frenzied state of hysteria that had not been seen since tales of the first Geode spread through the land. She had all the magical talent of her father and all the love of water her mother had; such a thing had not been heard of in centuries. Her family's fears were quickly put to rest when a sibling was born in a cove not too far away, and then another, and another. Magikarp isn't very bright, but she enjoys playing in the waves on sandy coasts and splashing dragons that come near. Gyrados is her mate as well as her dear friend, and the two are always to be seen on secluded beaches, blowing bubbles and building elaborate castles out of sand.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Ash called, he wanted me to give this +1 to you.

Accept:

Thank you, sole commenter. Your words gladden me.

Decided to check on my other LGBTA dragons and found some interesting comments

On a hellfire wyvern

Checkered Violence is just as violent as Fellra the Dangerous but has a respect for her elders that Fellra does not. This has resulted in Checkered Violence helping Helen of Hellfire keep Fellra in line, but respect isn't the only reason she does this. Checkered Violence likes female dragons and Helen knows. Helen promised to keep it a secret if Checkered swore alligence to her. Since then Checkered has learned to be at peace with herself but she would loathe it if anyone found out.

Accept:

Accept:

Abstain: Huh?

Accept: I like the fact that she likes other females. Too many people don't do that with their dragons and Reject descriptions like that.

The last accept I've received on a few dragons and its quite nice, the abstain, I'm wondering if someone hasn't seen the other LGBTA dragons yet

On my Bisexual Spotted Greenwing

I see dead dragons has a remarkable ability of seeing spirits from the past. This, at first frightening gift, has lead her to have wisdom beyond her years by talking to ghosts who have seen the ages pass.

However, I see dead dragons is also different in the fact that she gets excited over both female and male dragons. Some of the ghosts have tried to talk her out of her attraction, but a wise sweetling's ghost told her to let go of her inhibition and that love is love no matter the form it takes. I see dead dragons first talked with Enchantress of Gold Shadows about it to find that Enchantress herself only liked female dragons. The two have been paired ever since, with the agreement that I see dead dragons may also take a male mate as long as all three of them get to raise the hatchling.

Accept: Lovely job! :3

Accept:

Accept: This is the best love story ever!

Accept: ^-^ very sweet

Wish I knew who the last two accepts were wub.gif they made my day

Vulgarity so far :B

Vulgarity truly represents his name. Being a part of Magnus' cave isn't a problem for him. The problem, however, is the other dragons. Or so he likes to think! He's a true antagonist to them, killing Vandr and terrorizing the others with the threat of a similar fate. Nowadays he lazes around, carefully watching the others and, perhaps, plotting to claim another victim.

A true sociopath. He isn't very powerful, nor super talented. No, he just lacks empathy, and takes it upon himself to experiment on the dragons of this cave.

Accept: Very scary dragon, cool description!

Accept:

WELL THANK YOU. C:

EDIT-

I had to change Specimen 0s description from

Like a modern day computer, he thinks in an extremely pragmatic and rational way

To

Specimen 0 thinks in an extremely pragmatic and rational way.

Because people don't get that I'm using a comparison and keep pointing out that computers don't exist LOL

Edited by MagnusMango

Okay, I found a comment that I found to be really offensive and ignorant to me.

@Nakamora Moonlight

DESCRIPTION:

A Nakamora Moonlight

is said to be a special flower

that only appears

to the happiest and kindest

dragons.

It is said to grow

on the banks

of a faraway river

whose waters are the

cleanest and purest.

Anyone who drinks

from this river

is filled with happiness

and compassion

and purity

and love.

So maybe it is

not really a surprise

that such a beautiful flower

which grows on the banks of

such a beautiful river

is named after

the dragon called

Nakamora Moonlight

because she, too

had these qualities

and much more

inside herself.

COMMENTS:

Accept: This doesn't really sound like a poem. It sounds like a few sentences rearranged in a poem format. It's well written, but the format doesn't suit it so well.

Dude...whoever you are, that is just rude. Poems don't have to rhyme, and this is freeverse! Somebody once told me that my poems were redundant and they would like to see other styles, so I tried freeverse and rhyming and all that. And then you barge in and say that my poem doesn't 'look like a poem' and just a 'few sentences rearranged in a poem format.' Well excuse me sir, I'm sorry for being so angry, but this is very offensive to me. You're telling me my poem isn't a poem and just a bunch of 'sentences rearranged in a poem format.' This is so ignorant! Go look at a poem book, a lot of poems are like that!

When you put your hand to any art, you will run into people who will have negative reactions to it. Their opinions are just opinions, and don't have to have any effect on your work, unless you see merit in them. Be prepared not to please everyone. Not everyone likes the same things or sees things as you do. This does not affect the value of your work. If we all liked the same things, we would only need one type of each thing.

Lumma Moon is a male moonstone dragon destined to mate for life with Britty Stone, the first Sunstone dragon that his owner found. Or so he thinks. Britty pays absolutely no attention to Lumma, thinking he was a waste of time and energy. Due to this, Lumma has had his heart broken many times. He had once taken out his rage on Brian Stars, causing the poor nebula dragon scars which hinder his beautiful appearance. He is very glad that Brian got a mate, as he now has a chance to go at Britty.

Accept: This guy sounds like a real jerk. Can't seem to take a hint, can he? Anyways, great description.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

*stares at the first one* ^^' Heheh, never meant to make him sound like a jerk. Meant to make him sound stressed and heartbroken.

*adds that Lumma is a great dragon and is willing to make friends*

Yusag is a little dragon who was named after his code, Yu5ag. Even though it's a silly name, he enjoys having it because no other dragon can have it. He also enjoys hanging around Tiny Sky and Curious Sali, playing with their games and eating with them.

Accept: I think it's a lovely name! xd.png

Abstain: May be best not to refer to his code as a code ... maybe as an "ID number" or something.

Accept:

Accept:

*Sighs* Okay, abstainer, I'll fix it.

Edited by animals4501

Potato Peach looks nothing like either foods, she was named by her cave's owner in tribute to another pet that had died. Potato Peach is a very vibrant dragoness, often trying to uplift everyone's spirits. She is more social around the divided cave, and is quite infatuated with Lithirax; the stormy and cold female intrigues her.

Potato Peach got

Accept: Approved twice already. It's good!

Accept: Nice description Mango, she sounds like a real sweatheart. smile.gif -Flerida

Thanks, Ferida! c:

Omgsh some of my descriptions have been accepted by the mods! :3 Joy!

I'm impressed that I haven't yet gotten a single negative comment on my LGBT dragon, Figwit Smallfry. She didn't even get hit by the Phantom Rejecter. laugh.gif

Incidentally, I presently have an egg with the code U7GAY over in the Oddball Code Trading Center if that makes anyone grin and say, "Oooo, I could do a fitting description for that." cool.gif

Ugh, today has been the worst day of descriptions for me. I got random rejects on some of my descriptions, but as there's no comments I'll assume they're unimportant. It just annoys me to get them. Then, I got two rejects with comments, both of which revealed to me that the descriptions gave across the wrong impression.

One said my dragon was a Mary Sue, the other said it was mocking transgender issues. I never intended either. I meant that the 'Mary Sue' was admired greatly by the other dragons for her beauty and uniqueness, even though she was humble and felt uncomfortable with attention. And on the other, there was a legit backstory that I didn't have room to explain, but ultimately the dragon was female in the mind but born into a male body- an actual problem in reality. I support transgenders and other similar people totally. So I was unhappy that the descriptions gave the wrong idea. I changed both of them. sad.gif

Ugh, today has been the worst day of descriptions for me. I got random rejects on some of my descriptions, but as there's no comments I'll assume they're unimportant. It just annoys me to get them. Then, I got two rejects with comments, both of which revealed to me that the descriptions gave across the wrong impression.

One said my dragon was a Mary Sue, the other said it was mocking transgender issues. I never intended either. I meant that the 'Mary Sue' was admired greatly by the other dragons for her beauty and uniqueness, even though she was humble and felt uncomfortable with attention. And on the other, there was a legit backstory that I didn't have room to explain, but ultimately the dragon was female in the mind but born into a male body- an actual problem in reality. I support transgenders and other similar people totally. So I was unhappy that the descriptions gave the wrong idea. I changed both of them. sad.gif

The issue with Mary Sues is that they are, generally "humble" about how "great" they are. If a character seems (As in, the flaws are not stated.) to have no flaws beside the inability to ~accept how special they are~, then they immediately look like a Mary Sue. Being humble makes them more of a Mary Sue than being totally conceited would.

As for the transgender issue, I think the issue there lies in the fact than gender dysphoria and transgenderism are very real, very painful issues. Making an imaginary dragon trans may seem a bit disrespectful.

In my opinion, there is no reason that our dragons cannot have all the issues and problems that humans have. One of mine has Alzheimer's.

No one ever called any of my Mary Sues "Mary Sue". It wouldn't bother me if they did. So they are too good to be true, so what?

In my opinion, there is no reason that our dragons cannot have all the issues and problems that humans have. One of mine has Alzheimer's.

No one ever called any of my Mary Sues "Mary Sue". It wouldn't bother me if they did. So they are too good to be true, so what?

I can see why people would find it insulting, though. It's like trivializing a real issue, making it just a "plot device" or "character quirk". I'm not sure where I stand, but I can see both sides of the argument.

As for the Mary Sues thing, it's about good writing more than anything else. Perfection does not a good character make. However, if you don't want to focus on good writing and solid character development, by all means ignore the naysayers.

Here's my take on the Mary Sue issue.

Any female character seems to be automatically in the running for 'Mary Sue' in some circles. For some people, if they show humility, they're a Mary Sue. If they're smart and pretty and have specialer-than-you talent, they're a Mary Sue.

Now, Mary Sues do exist. And they are painful. It's natural to want to make a character as likeable as possible. Sometimes, however, an author tries a little too hard and creates a character that is so 'likeable' in their own eyes that real people despise her. It's easy to do. It's also easy to accuse people of creating Mary Sues unjustly. However, you can identify a true Mary Sue by asking a few questions: 1) Do they have a fault? 2) If yes, is that 'fault' being a klutz? 3) Does everyone automatically adore/want to be best friends with/fall in love with/want to kill her for no discernible reason?

If the answer to all of the above is 'yes' (or 'no' to the first one), you've got a Mary Sue on your hands unless you ask a fourth question - does she use all the adoration of all around her to manipulate them and get to the top? If the answer to that question is 'yes', you are absolved of Mary Sue-ness - congratulations, you have a villainess! - unless you don't realize that the character in question is doing this, in which case she's the worst kind of Mary Sue.

Now, that's not to say that EVERY adorable, sweet character is a Mary Sue. Some faults are just easier to overlook than others. Take Fluttershy from MLP:FIM, whose fault is a crippling shyness and fear of taking risks. Or Twilight Sparkle from the same, whose biggest fault is obsession and an abject terror of failure. Both of these characters have been accused of being Mary Sues, but upon a closer look, they're really not.

Well. Rant over. Clearly this is a matter that is close to my heart. xd.png But all of that to say, you know your own character (in this case, a dragon) and you can describe her however the heck you like within the guidelines. You don't need to worry about user objections as much as the mods - the user reviews are just there to help you. So if you find that someone misunderstood your dragon, you can simply review it and say, oh, I see where they got this idea. It's because I didn't explain this fault here! Or you can just ignore it. smile.gif

Oh, and I'm on the boat that says it's just fine to have a transgendered/misgendered dragon. Yes, it's a real issue, and hits close to home for many, so like CaptainInsaneWay, I see both sides of the argument. But I also think that creating characters with real-life issues serves to help understand those issues and spread awareness about them, which is why I have an autistic dragon (Caerphilly of Fae).

Wow. Wall of text. Sorry about that. laugh.gif

Edited by LibbyLishly

I can see why people would find it insulting, though. It's like trivializing a real issue, making it just a "plot device" or "character quirk". I'm not sure where I stand, but I can see both sides of the argument.

As for the Mary Sues thing, it's about good writing more than anything else. Perfection does not a good character make. However, if you don't want to focus on good writing and solid character development, by all means ignore the naysayers.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if I write a dragon with a crippled limb, epilepsy, or Alzheimer's, it gives me a chance to work out my own feelings. It helps me to understand myself (and perhaps the issue) more fully. If someone else feels that I have trivialized, misunderstood, or misrepresented the problem, I really can't take responsibility for that.

If in the necessarily limited space provided, I focus on a dragon's good points or on another's faults rather than writing a balanced description, well that's just what I saw on that day while I was looking at her/him. Within the space provided, and with whatever time/inclination I have on any one day, I may not give a thorough description of a dragon. I still feel that my description is valid as it stands, even though another may not like it.

8c somebody wrote on Petze

Reject: He sounds ****ing obnoxious.

NOW THAT IS NOT VERY CONSTRUCTIVE, WHOMEVER YOU ARE.

Here's my take on the Mary Sue issue.

Any female character seems to be automatically in the running for 'Mary Sue' in some circles. For some people, if they show humility, they're a Mary Sue. If they're smart and pretty and have specialer-than-you talent, they're a Mary Sue.

Now, Mary Sues do exist. And they are painful. It's natural to want to make a character as likeable as possible. Sometimes, however, an author tries a little too hard and creates a character that is so 'likeable' in their own eyes that real people despise her. It's easy to do. It's also easy to accuse people of creating Mary Sues unjustly. However, you can identify a true Mary Sue by asking a few questions: 1) Do they have a fault? 2) If yes, is that 'fault' being a klutz? 3) Does everyone automatically adore/want to be best friends with/fall in love with/want to kill her for no discernible reason?

If the answer to all of the above is 'yes' (or 'no' to the first one), you've got a Mary Sue on your hands unless you ask a fourth question - does she use all the adoration of all around her to manipulate them and get to the top? If the answer to that question is 'yes', you are absolved of Mary Sue-ness - congratulations, you have a villainess! - unless you don't realize that the character in question is doing this, in which case she's the worst kind of Mary Sue.

Now, that's not to say that EVERY adorable, sweet character is a Mary Sue. Some faults are just easier to overlook than others. Take Fluttershy from MLP:FIM, whose fault is a crippling shyness and fear of taking risks. Or Twilight Sparkle from the same, whose biggest fault is obsession and an abject terror of failure. Both of these characters have been accused of being Mary Sues, but upon a closer look, they're really not.

Well. Rant over. Clearly this is a matter that is close to my heart. xd.png But all of that to say, you know your own character (in this case, a dragon) and you can describe her however the heck you like within the guidelines. You don't need to worry about user objections as much as the mods - the user reviews are just there to help you. So if you find that someone misunderstood your dragon, you can simply review it and say, oh, I see where they got this idea. It's because I didn't explain this fault here! Or you can just ignore it. smile.gif

Oh, and I'm on the boat that says it's just fine to have a transgendered/misgendered dragon. Yes, it's a real issue, and hits close to home for many, so like CaptainInsaneWay, I see both sides of the argument. But I also think that creating characters with real-life issues serves to help understand those issues and spread awareness about them, which is why I have an autistic dragon (Caerphilly of Fae).

Wow. Wall of text. Sorry about that. laugh.gif

http://mhari.fateback.com/sues.html an interesting article on mary sues and their typeings that help most authors when trying to aviod them. You can write characters without giving out their flaws, its when characters are overboard or powerful and cliche that mary sue title is given.

http://mhari.fateback.com/sues.html an interesting article on mary sues and their typeings that help most authors when trying to aviod them. You can write characters without giving out their flaws, its when characters are overboard or powerful and cliche that mary sue title is given.

Ahhh, yes, I have read that article! It is an excellent look at what a Mary Sue looks like (particularly in fanfiction, which is where the title originated) and how to avoid it. I do maintain that a character must be realistic, that is, has flaws, in order to not be a cliche or overboard and, thus, a contender for the title of Mary Sue.

In the context of DC descriptions, you simply can't always find time to say "Oh yes, and these are her flaws" just to avoid Mary Suedom. A great deal of my rant was directed to serious character development, whether that happens in your head with the dragons (since there's not space to write it all out by a long shot) or you're writing a book, a TV show, or inserting an OC into a fanfic.

I could name a certain book with a certain main character who is the current gold standard for Mary Sues, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be considered particularly polite. wink.gif