Dr. Paine

Description comments

Description:

Halloween Batchicken was the first non-dragon in her owner's Cave. As her name suggests, her egg was found among the dragon eggs on Halloween, and she was then adopted by the Pygmy and Pumpkin dragons. Because of this, she is convinced that she is a pumpkin dragon with feathers, and shares her adopted parent's obsession with all things pumpkin and Halloween-ish. However, due to her sharp beak she usually just gets in their way when tending the pumpkin patch, so she often ends up helping to incubate the Pygmy eggs instead. Nobody is quite sure how chicken eggs get into the Cave, but Halloween Batchicken doesn't believe any of the bizarre theories like 'Space Chickens'. To her the answer is very clear: she isn't a chicken, just a mutant Pumpkin dragon.

User Comments

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept:

•Accept: Good job! I wish I had a chicken!

*glows with chicken-related SMUGNESS* tongue.gif

I love reading the descriptions and commenting, it's so fun! I saw a description for a dragon who was apparently nicknamed Loki the other day. I commented, "Loki as in Loki from The Avengers?" xd.png

Edited by dracopenguin

Got another comment on Custos.

Abstain: A male dragon that 'loves' another male dragon? Was this kind of thing allowed back in the medieval times?

This one's a bit different than the other negative comments I've received, sort of sounds like they were implying that people choose to be homosexual, and that it's to be rebellious (I'm judging on how they put the word "loves" in quotation marks).

It reminds me of xdlugia's reject on his dragon.

"this is in mideval times, so noone back then thought that way"

Oh well, there's not much I can do about it. I'll keep waiting until the description is approved. Wasn't there a page on the site that shows the amount of descriptions waiting to be approved? I can't remember if it was for that purpose or not, but if it is, might be a neat little page to check in on now and then.

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

Abstain: A male dragon that 'loves' another male dragon? Was this kind of thing allowed back in the medieval times?

This one's a bit different than the other negative comments I've received, sort of sounds like they were implying that people choose to be homosexual, and that it's to be rebellious (I'm judging on how they put the word "loves" in quotation marks).

If I come across your description, I will definitely approve it. I don't see anything wrong with it. Love is love. smile.gifEDIT: I think I did find your description, about Custos and the healer! I approved it!

On another note, I have 2 questions for all you other reviewers. How do you feel about people talking about riding their dragons? And do you think dragons actually speak in words?

I've come across of lot of descriptions about how the owner rides the dragon, and I usually choose to Abstain because I don't like the thought of it. But I understand how some people might want to use that concept. And other descriptions talk about how dragons like to 'sit and talk or tell jokes' with other dragons. I'm not sure how I feel about that, and I just want to hear others' opinions. smile.gif

Edited by Dimar

@Dimar: I just saw your accept, thank you very much! :)

As for your questions:

Dragon riding: I'm neutral with this concept, I don't really have much to say about it.

Dragons speaking: In the default dragon description is states that dragons speak telepathically to communicate with each other and other creatures, so I don't see why dragons talking with and telling jokes to each other would be considered unacceptable. However, dragons cannot speak aloud, so rejecting based on that would be warranted.

Dragons speaking: In the default dragon description is states that dragons speak telepathically to communicate with each other and other creatures, so I don't see why dragons talking with and telling jokes to each other would be considered unacceptable. However, dragons cannot speak aloud, so rejecting based on that would be warranted.

You're welcome for the approval!

Thanks for your input. I tend to think of dragons communicating more in abstract thoughts and feelings than direct sentences, so that's part of why I was asking for more opinions. Thanks again! smile.gif

Just checked my descriptions' comments, got a few good ones.

Little Flagbearer Somatra:

When Flagbearer first hatched, he quickly grew in favor from the Enchantress for a reason he didn't quite understand. Sometimes she would speak of a "code", but he never understood what that meant. Gifted with a name earlier than his wings, he was very excited and proud of his status. When his wings grew in, he ran to show the Enchantress, only to find her disappointed, though she tried to make the best of it. Now even more eager to please, he thought for a long time how he could make it up to the Enchantress. When an idea presented itself to him, he became very excited and worked for months in secret, using scraps of fur from the pillow dragons to weave a banner, and then painted it with plant dyes. When it was finally completed, he presented the banner to the Enchantress. She was delighted, and said to him, "For this, you shall be my Flagbearer!" Overjoyed with his new duties, Little Flagbearer carries around a small version of the banner he made at all times.

Accept: On "code" - commas always go inside quotation marks. Still, nice job. :]

Accept:

Accept:

I'm so confused about this. I learned that commas go inside the quotes only if its the end of a clause. Also, I don't believe there are any "always" rules in English grammar without exceptions, yes?

Examina Somatra:

The first dragon to be born into the Somatra Weyr, Examina is the daughter of two dragons whose pairing was not approved of by many. As such, she has grown up to be very open-minded about love and accepts it in all of its forms. She is independant and free-spirited, and a strong fighter. She loves Cxat, a magi dragoness, and though she keeps secret that this is the dragon she loves, she doesn't care who knows that she can love either a male or a female. Though Cxat is sometimes worried that other dragons may guess their relationship, Examina firmly believes that they can't tell.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Reject: That's so nasty... Sry but I can't take it

Heh. Stupid people. I will never take you seriously if you don't take the time to spell out the word. tongue.gif Although the writing isn't really my best, but whatever.

Cxat Somatra

Intelligent, shy, secretive, and loving of mysteries and puzzles. All of these words describe Cxat, pronounced "S-zat". Cxat grew up under the care of Trija Somatra, leader of the Weyr. Her talents in magical arts lie especially in stealth magic, enabling her to hide herself from nearly all sorts of beings. Many find her true nature an enigma or they have been decieved to believe who she projects herself to be, as a shy, quiet, perfectly normal studious magi. Very few are aware that she loves Examina, another female of the Weyr, and she would like to keep it this way. She's still not quite sure why she fell for the Guardian, and considers it a mystery that may never be solved.

Accept: *loving mysteries and puzzles. *to be as

Accept: Nice Description Lilac -Brairtrainer

These don't sound right to me. If I was to change loving of mysteries and puzzles to loving mysteries and puzzles, it doesn't... sound right. Also, I do think the comma is supposed to be there. Maybe it would be better as a semicolon, but getting rid of it just sounds stupid. Who's right here?

ETA: Changed loving of to a lover of, and changed the comma to a semicolon and got rid of the as. But I still think that person is wrong.

Edited by Lilac Inkdream

I'm so confused about this. I learned that commas go inside the quotes only if its the end of a clause. Also, I don't believe there are any "always" rules in English grammar without exceptions, yes?

This is a regional difference.

For question marks and exclamation points, American English follows the logical route. The mark goes inside the quotes if it's part of the quoted text and outside if it is not part of the quoted text.

For commas and periods, however, American English is, for whatever reason conventional and not logical and periods and commas should always go inside the quotation mark, unless you're ending with a letter or number such as: He choose the door marked "A".

For British English, however, they follow the logical route for all punctuation with quotations, so commas and periods follow the same logic as question marks and exclamation points.

Since this is a regional thing, I'll approve both. Also, even though I'm American, I prefer a lot of the British English grammar choices, anyway. x3

It's also not that big of a deal to let people do as they were taught or as they prefer here. :3

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Socky! I will try and keep that in mind next time I see a comment like that.

It reminds me of xdlugia's reject on his dragon.

"this is in mideval times, so noone back then thought that way"

Oh well, there's not much I can do about it. I'll keep waiting until the description is approved. Wasn't there a page on the site that shows the amount of descriptions waiting to be approved? I can't remember if it was for that purpose or not, but if it is, might be a neat little page to check in on now and then.

My partner happens to be another man, random voter, and yes we "love" eachother. Oh that irks me to a level that I didn't think was possible. I've seen this dragon before in the descriptions-And approved. I thought his story was neat, but god forbid he be with another male dragon.

I'd also like to point out how stupid these people sound. "Back in medieval times".

What about it? Wasn't it also stated that the world isn't our Earth? Who's to say unconditional love is restricted by the same ridiculous and horrible ignorance in this realm? Good lord I'm going to punch my computer monitor. LOL

Oh hey, Custos's description was just approved! I was wondering why the reviews vanished. Thank you description moderator (I'm assuming Sock?), I appreciate it! :)

Edit:

@Magnus: Thanks for approving the description when it was in the review pile, I'm glad you liked it! Try not to punch your computer too hard. lol

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

Got another comment for Valen.

Thanks you very much! ^^

That was me! You're welcome very much. *big smile*

Got some more comments on another lesbian dragon on my scroll!

Checkered Violence is just as violent as Fellra the Dangerous but has a respect for her elders that Fellra does not. This has resulted in Checkered Violence helping Helen of Hellfire keep Fellra in line, but respect isn't the only reason she does this. Checkered Violence likes female dragons and Helen knows. Helen promised to keep it a secret if Checkered swore alligence to her. Since then Checkered has learned to be at peace with herself but she would loathe it if anyone found out.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: I like the fact that she likes other females. Too many people don't do that with their dragons and Reject descriptions like that.

I just submitted Welcome Beacon's description and received a piece of criticism about the grammar in the last sentence.

Accept: "which is", perhaps, in that last sentence?

However, I'm not sure if this change is necessary.

Here's the sentence in question.

Until one of them is able to leap the hurdle that is their shyness, unbreakable friendship will be their only tie.

I think "that is" sounds a bit better, but I'm not against changing it if it's truly incorrect. So my question is: is "that is" correct, or is "which is" correct? I did some research on the clauses behind these words but I'm still a bit unsure as to which one would be acceptable.

Or are both of them correct?

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

I just submitted Welcome Beacon's description and received a piece of criticism about the grammar in the last sentence.

Accept: "which is", perhaps, in that last sentence?

However, I'm not sure if this change is necessary.

Here's the sentence in question.

I think "that is" sounds a bit better, but I'm not against changing it if it's truly incorrect. So my question is: is "that is" correct, or is "which is" correct? I did some research on the clauses behind these words but I'm still a bit unsure as to which one would be acceptable.

Or are both of them correct?

It seems fine to me, but I've never been very good at dissecting sentences grammatically like that. Love the description by the way--- that comment about Welcome Bacon was me... xd.png

I believe either is correct, depending on the punctuation:

Until one of them is able to leap the hurdle that is their shyness, unbreakable friendship will be their only tie.

or

Until one of them is able to leap the hurdle, which is their shyness, unbreakable friendship will be their only tie.

So, yeah, whichever is your preference is fine. While I tend to automatically go for "which is" in my technical writing, I agree that "that is" flows a little better here. :3

@Hawktalon: Thanks for the accept and the comment, it made me giggle. XD

@Sock: Alright, thank you for the clarification. I'll keep it as is. :)

I'm trying to figure out why I got a Reject on this description. The dragon is a pink female named MM Sky's Guide to Stubbornness. The way she got her name is a funny story, so I decided to put in the description before going on to describe her personality. I got one Accept and one Reject, with no comments.

"Stubborn was named such thanks to the considerable frustration of the Scroll Keeper. The Keeper desperately needed this little pink hatchling to gender, but the hatchling took it's own sweet time. After the pink took longer than any of the other young dragons, the Keeper growled and said "I'm naming you Stubborn!" Finally, the pink gendered female but was left with the name.

Stubborn took her name to heart and is indeed hard-headed. When she makes a decision, she firmly sticks by it and refuses to take other dragons' advice. She calls it persistence and dedication, but everyone knows it's just her natural stubbornness. After all, it was obvious from the time she was born."

I don't think it's in any way demeaning to her- I thought it was funny to name her after her stubborn refusal to gender when I desperately needed her too. Then naturally, I made her personality match. What's the problem?

I'm trying to figure out why I got a Reject on this description. The dragon is a pink female named MM Sky's Guide to Stubbornness. The way she got her name is a funny story, so I decided to put in the description before going on to describe her personality. I got one Accept and one Reject, with no comments.

"Stubborn was named such thanks to the considerable frustration of the Scroll Keeper. The Keeper desperately needed this little pink hatchling to gender, but the hatchling took it's own sweet time. After the pink took longer than any of the other young dragons, the Keeper growled and said "I'm naming you Stubborn!" Finally, the pink gendered female but was left with the name.

Stubborn took her name to heart and is indeed hard-headed. When she makes a decision, she firmly sticks by it and refuses to take other dragons' advice. She calls it persistence and dedication, but everyone knows it's just her natural stubbornness. After all, it was obvious from the time she was born."

I don't think it's in any way demeaning to her- I thought it was funny to name her after her stubborn refusal to gender when I desperately needed her too. Then naturally, I made her personality match. What's the problem?

All descriptions get a random reject. It's one of the rules of life tongue.gif

I see no problem with the content, but it should be "its own sweet time" with no apostrophe!

Finally checked on some of the descriptions I'd submitted, and the accepts on this made me happy. laugh.gif

The Butler Did IT

Amateur detective, pastry chef and healer - The Butler Did IT loves solving mysteries nearly as much as he loves sweet rolls or cuddling with lambs. He searches almost constantly for new puzzles to solve and injustices to right in the large cave in which he lives and the surrounding towns. Whenever a crime has been committed, he always reaches the same conclusion, "The butler did it," even though no one has a butler. His fellow dragons try to ignore missing items and dodge insults to avoid his sleuthing because none of them know what a butler is or why it would want to bother them.

Accept:

Accept: Nice work! I'm really enjoying your descriptions so far, smurfette. smile.gif -Flérida

Accept: Silly dragon, it was the gardener!

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Great! Love the story

Accept:

Thanks, Flerida, and thank you for reading them.

The Gardener accept particularly made me laugh. tongue.gif

A couple of good comments on some new descriptions:

Ever the fashionista, Rarity agonizes over the carelessness that so many of her clanmates display in their appearance. She despairs over the lusterless scales, the dirt-caked wings, the unmanicured claws. This is likely why she is so drawn to Tinsels - they, at least, are known for maintaining an sophisticated appearance. She does her best to help her other friends with their appearance without coming off as rude, but sometimes she simply can't help herself. She often wishes she could exchange her healing magic for a few simple 'tidy', 'shine', and 'beautify' spells!

User Comments

Accept: Is this a reference to MLP FiM, by any chance? If so, may I propose a brohoof? wink.gif

Why, yes, that IS a reference! biggrin.gif Brohoof indeed, my friend!

Tia Dalma Enigma quietly works her fierce brand of magic, creating curses and hexes and jinxes for both her own amusement and for payment. She often wears bits of bone on her person, parts of mysterious spells that she will not explain. As such, she has earned a rather creepy reputation. Many hatchlings are scared to travel via her teleportation spells and beg for another mage to do it instead. Adult dragons simply avoid her eerie swamp lair. Despite the stigma against her, customers in search of revenge frequently come looking for her, as well as more than one lover, though whether she attracted these by natural means or through love spells is another mystery.

User Comments

Accept:

Accept: Tia Dalma, from Pirates of the Carribean, right?

Accept:

Yes, definite reference to the Pirates of the Caribbean character. smile.gif

And a new comment on my gold tinsel, Goldberry Cerise:

Accept: my friend wants one so bad. can you get her one perhaps for another rare?r another rare

I'd love to talk to your friend, but I have no idea who you are. ohmy.gif

So this is one description I wrote a while back, taking a snippet from my OC Kyzaro's backstory and squeezing it into a 1000 character limit for a Seasonal's description...I had to cut soooo much out to get it to fit.

'Maybe I was never meant to be a leader...'

Kyzaro stood over the charred remains of his home, the blackened tree looming over the various bodies of his fellow clan members. He gazed around at the wreckage, his eyes landing on the previous army leader, the one who would have led them through had he stayed in power. Kyzaro walked over, placing a paw on the lifeless form. He bowed his head, took off his helmet and laid it next to the leader. 'This was always yours...it was never intended to be mine.'

He looked at the tree, noticing two figures huddled at the base. Running up, Kyzaro saw it was his mother and his sister, both dead. His mother had clearly died trying to defend her daughter. Kyzaro closed his eyes and turned away from the place he once called home. He picked up a knife and examined it. 'I have lost everything I ever knew...but I shall make my last stand. I will take Lankharra down for this. But after that...there'll be nothing left for me. I hope to die fighting him...'

I recieved the following comment:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Oh my god, this should be a story. TO THE DRAGON CAVE FORUM!

Accept:

Reject:

That really made my day biggrin.gif Well, here it is, on the DC Forums! And FYI, it's being worked into not just a story, but a graphic novel! Huzzah!

But what's up with the random reject? Not that I care, as every other pending description has one...

Edited by rampaging wyvern