Dr. Paine

Description comments

I described another gay dragon a while back that a few of you might have seen:

Years ago, Herald's good friend Someday Out of the Blue tried to commit stopped his good friend Someday Out of the Blue from committing suicide by saying a simple phrase: "I love you." It might seem really cheesy, but that's what happened. See, Blue was never interested in females, no matter how hard he tried. And when he told a few dragons about how he felt, it spread quickly around the cave. Soon, Blue couldn't go anywhere without being abused. It was during one of these beatings that Herald met Blue. At the time, Herald wasn't sure what to make of Blue. He had heard that Blue was this dangerous, perverted dragon, but Herald couldn't see that. All Herald saw was the battered spirit of a once happy dragon. So, Herald tried to cheer Blue up whenever he could, but Blue was so often depressed that Herald's attempts didn't seem to make much of a difference. Though with each failed attempt, Herald became more determined to make Blue happy. It wasn't until he saw Blue's near lifeless body one day did Herald know how much Blue meant to him.

User Comments

Accept: Nice work, Lugia. This story holds a lot of sadness, but it's still so interesting and good. Thumbs up. -Flerida

Accept: so sweet... Herald the hero in my eyes ^-^ free love for dragons regardless of gender!

Accept: Oh, poor Blue! I hope I run into his description. Herald sounds like a good and honorable dragon. I hope they find happiness together.

To the one who gave me the last one, I just needed to say that Someday Out of the Blue's description was one that I made months ago. I just never got around creating a description that I liked for a winter magi. Hopefully one of these days I make one that doesn't have all the gloom and doom I seem to be putting on these dragons. unsure.gif

I never realized that the first sentence made no sense. xd.png *goes off to fix*

Edited by xdlugia

This may seem completely random... but do comments disappear after a certain amount of time? I checked on the 7 I have pending and noticed a few of them either had fewer "accepts" or there was a lovely comment missing on the very few that have any comments. blink.gifunsure.gif

I only noticed because I went back to grab some to post here and they were gone.

Edited by smurfettedoesnotshare

Did you happen to fix something minor and resubmit the descriptions Smurfette? Otherwise I wouldn't know how or why that would happen.

Nope. I hadn't resubmitted anything at the time. (I tweaked one description now, though.) They've just been sitting there. I'm not too worried about it, though. It just seemed odd.

I got my first comment on my first description and it was an approval. I'm really happy how you reviewers correct spelling mistakes because I totally missed the one.

Also, I feel sorry for the mint dragon egg as well.

Unfortunately the comment disappeared when I did a minor revision so I can't post it here. I don't think that's a bug though?

I got my first comment on my first description and it was an approval. I'm really happy how you reviewers correct spelling mistakes because I totally missed the one.

Also, I feel sorry for the mint dragon egg as well.

Unfortunately the comment disappeared when I did a minor revision so I can't post it here. I don't think that's a bug though?

When you resubmit a description it loses all accepts/rejects and comments. It's normal smile.gif

I have no explanation for smurfette's comments disappearing though. Did they have a lot of comments? I've never had much reviews, but maybe it won't show more than 5 or 10 reviews at a time and the others get bumped off the list. I can't check this theory though.

Also, regarding the gay dragon thread, I'm definitely not becoming OP to a thread like that; for one I'm straight and secondly I'm pretty sure I'm too temperamental to deal politely with negative comments, which it is sure to attract.

Do descriptions even get accepted anymore, or do you need a certain # of reviews to get it accepted?

I have written quite a few for my dragons, and them not becoming accepted is making me just.. Eh.. From the whole thing :\

Any ideas?

You can message a mod to take a look at your descriptions if you think they're taking too long to be approved. There's a list of mods you can PM here. :3

You can message a mod to take a look at your descriptions if you think they're taking too long to be approved. There's a list of mods you can PM here. :3

Oh, sweet. Did not know that lol.

Guess time to get back into describing my cute beasties biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Would you like to me add a subset of LGBT dragons to the Approved Descriptions thread? http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=117376

I can probably fit them into the last post on page one with Y and Z, with a heading LGBT dragons or some such. That way they can be easily found but might be less likely to generate complicated discussions.

Lagie that would be excellent!

Btw been meaning to ask you where did you get the avatar? it looks exactly like my dog

Okay, I'm getting assaulted on all sides by people who do not believe the code should be put in the description...

@TJ the Noble

DESCRIPTION:

TJ The Noble seems to think he deserves to be the king of the land. His logic is that he is somehow related to TJ09, the mysterious deity that formed the land of Dragcave, since his identification code is 'tj9JJ'. However, nobody really minds him, even though he often proclaims orders for everyone to follow. Secretly, down deep, TJ The Noble feels insecure, and he is worried that nobody will accept him. What he doesn't know, though, is that he is extremely annoying, and that the other dragons will gladly be his friend if he would stop telling everyone and everything that he is the lord and they are his servants.

COMMENTS:

Accept: This is good and I see no problem with it, but you are sometimes hostile towards criticism on the forum. If you want to be a serious writer you need to be open to criticism, even if you don't like it.

Accept:

Reject: You can't put the code into the description

@Reject, please tell me why you think I can't use the code. There is nothing in the ToC or Description Guidelines that say I can't use the code or break the 4th wall. Where did you get the idea that I can't do it? It's not against the rules. I'm not violating anything. If you feel strongly about it, abstain, but IMO reject should only be used if there are excessive typos, the description violates the Breed Description/ToC/Description Guidelines. I have seen many people who use the code in their descriptions, and they were accepted.

I'm sorry if I'm overly harsh, but to me that Reject sounded unsupported and made by a newbie/person who didn't read the Description Guidelines and or ToC/person who does not know using codes is perfectly fine.

Okay, I'm getting assaulted on all sides by people who do not believe the code should be put in the description...

@TJ the Noble

DESCRIPTION:

TJ The Noble seems to think he deserves to be the king of the land. His logic is that he is somehow related to TJ09, the mysterious deity that formed the land of Dragcave, since his identification code is 'tj9JJ'. However, nobody really minds him, even though he often proclaims orders for everyone to follow. Secretly, down deep, TJ The Noble feels insecure, and he is worried that nobody will accept him. What he doesn't know, though, is that he is extremely annoying, and that the other dragons will gladly be his friend if he would stop telling everyone and everything that he is the lord and they are his servants.

COMMENTS:

Accept: This is good and I see no problem with it, but you are sometimes hostile towards criticism on the forum. If you want to be a serious writer you need to be open to criticism, even if you don't like it.

Accept:

Reject: You can't put the code into the description

@Reject, please tell me why you think I can't use the code. There is nothing in the ToC or Description Guidelines that say I can't use the code or break the 4th wall. Where did you get the idea that I can't do it? It's not against the rules. I'm not violating anything. If you feel strongly about it, abstain, but IMO reject should only be used if there are excessive typos, the description violates the Breed Description/ToC/Description Guidelines. I have seen many people who use the code in their descriptions, and they were accepted.

I'm sorry if I'm overly harsh, but to me that Reject sounded unsupported and made by a newbie/person who didn't read the Description Guidelines and or ToC/person who does not know using codes is perfectly fine.

or its a troll, I've gotten one random reject on one of my dragons so I think its might have just been in the system long enough that a troll go to it

Update on Custos:

Accept: Real situation: the battle was on the ocean floor (read breed desc lol). The white dragon was a scuba diver. xd.png

Accept: Lol, I like this. +1.

Abstain: Uhh....

Accept:

The first accept: That'd be an interesting scenario! Even though this particular battle took place on land, I thank you for the comment, it made me laugh. xd.png

Thanks to the other accepts as well!

@beacker1160: I wouldn't worry about this particular reject, the way you worded it made the code seem more like an ID card than a part of a website URL, so it looks fine.

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

Update on Custos:

Accept: Real situation: the battle was on the ocean floor (read breed desc lol). The white dragon was a scuba diver. xd.png

Accept: Lol, I like this. +1.

Abstain: Uhh....

Accept:

The first accept: That'd be an interesting scenario! Even though this particular battle took place on land, I thank you for the comment, it made me laugh. xd.png

Thanks to the other accepts as well!

@beacker1160: I wouldn't worry about this particular reject, the way you worded it made the code seem more like an ID card than a part of a website URL, so it looks fine.

That was me xd.png trying to be funny and probably failing :3

------------------

Okay, my cheese dragon's getting a lot of random haters D:

@Sir Cheddar von Sharp

DESCRIPTION:

Sir Cheddar von Sharp is quite the dragon. As his name suggests, Sir Cheddar von Sharp is not only sharp and tasty of cheese but also sharp and intelligent of mind. Some say that when Sir Cheddar von Sharp was magically enchanted, he was given the gift of knowledge. Sir Cheddar von Sharp is quite an intelligent and witty fellow, at least compared to the other cheese dragons. A close friend of any intelligent dragon like him, Sir Cheddar von Sharp is revered deeply by the intellectuals of his clan, who, out of respect, refuse to even think about eating him. That isn't the case, however, for some of the other dragons, who can't resist trying to nibble Sir Cheddar von Sharp's tasty claws off. Therefore, Sir Cheddar von Sharp must always be careful and stay away from those who lack self control. Another one of Sir Cheddar von Sharp's enemies is the sun, though he, of course, knows not to stroll out into the harsh sunlight of midday. After all, if he melted, he wouldn't be sharp anymore!

COMMENTS:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: cute!

Reject:

Reject:

Okay...rejects, I would like to ask why you're rejecting ._. I mean, you left no reason. Did I do something wrong? Are you afraid of cheese dragons getting too intelligent? Are you two jealous of people who write descriptions, like me? Or do you guys just hate me? ._. Guess I'll have to go to standard protocol. I'll ignore the rejects.

I received some positive things though biggrin.gif everyone likes my poem descriptions :3

@Spectre of the Outcast

DESCRIPTION:

She was never accepted,

always rejected,

for being different from the rest,

and as a result she grew bitter,

and ran away sadly...

for many years she lived,

away from them all,

her life was peaceful,

but then it began to fall...

The dragons grew restless,

they had many unfortunes,

they often grew senseless,

the outcasts they blamed!

They went to the caves,

of the ones forced to leave,

the outcasts and the different,

the cowardly and the brave,

it didn't matter to the dragons,

they wanted someone to blame,

So they rounded up them all,

and called them thieves and knaves!

This gave them an excuse to do,

what they had wanted to,

and that was to burn these dragons at stake,

nobody cared that their reasons were fake!

And so many innocents died,

killed because they were different,

and many, many passed away,

their bodies charred and fried!

But she, the dragon, was different,

she refused to go quietly,

and so she rounded up the spirits of the outcasts,

and lead them away to be happy and free!

COMMENTS:

Accept: Again, very awesome job! :]

Accept: Lovely. smile.gif

@Spectre of the Forgotten

DESCRIPTION:

The spirit of the forgotten,

takes care of the faded ones,

the ones past their glory,

their good deeds gone and done,

nobody cares about them!

They don't want to hear of their adventures,

or of their noble quests,

or of anything they'd ever done,

they were, in the past, the best!

But alas, with time, they fell from grace,

mere memories of the dragons they used to be,

living in the time of their greatest glory,

where their word, every dragon took heed,

their wonderful stories,

of their glorious deeds,

their shocking tales,

of how they began to fail,

but there is one single dragon,

who will always, always be there,

it didn't care if the height of their lives,

was far in the past or right now here,

for it is the spirit of the forgotten,

the spirit of them all,

the spirit of those who were glorious in the past,

but then began to fall!

COMMENTS:

Accept: Wow, lovely job! Awesome!

Accept: Neat!

@Yellow Eye Terror

DESCRIPTION (not a poem, though, haha):

For several years now the regulars of the Old English Tavern in the small village of Yearling have heard of the strange beast known as the Yellow Eye Terror. Just a few days ago, in fact, a young man had run into the bar, where many of the town's men came together to meet, bleary-eyed and claiming that he had seen a monster with yellow eyes and midnight-black wings. Of course the barman and the people helped him calm down and reassured him that he would be alright. There were more sightings than ever, as usual, since it was the last days of October, and the monster seemed more active then.

All of the reports are the same. A snarling noise, the victim being pinned to the muddy ground by a foul-smelling, dark beast with large, yellow eyes that appeared to have no pupils, and then the feeling of cold, hard claws, digging into the skin. After several roars, the victims were always let go to run away, far, far away, back into the town and to the tavern to tell of their horrific encounters.

COMMENTS:

Accept: Wonderful description. smile.gif

Accept:

And...what I believe to be one of the best of them all:

@Frgut the Sorrowful

DESCRIPTION:

Frgut the Sorrowful's story is very sad, indeed. As a young marrow, he met a beautiful gold dragoness and fell in love with her, but she never really loved him. She only kept him so she could brag that she had a halloween dragon for a mate, and she never let anyone see him in public. In private, he couldn't understand why she was never pleased with him, and he tried all he could to make her happy, even trying to disguise his odor with flowers. Eventually, she grew tired of him and left to join another clan, and Frgut the Sorrowful never saw her again. For many years he was very bitter and blamed himself. He told himself that he wasn't good enough, and one day he tried to kill himself by flinging himself off a cliff. He failed and miraculously recovered, but some injuries were permanent, and he began to lose his memory. These days, he often acts as if his mate was still here, talking to air. When he is in reality, however, he cries and despairs, for he knows he will never see her again.

COMMENTS:

Accept: This is so incredibley tragic ... you did a wonderful job writing this.

Accept:

biggrin.gif

Edited by beacker1160

A mysterious and angsty dragon, Nirvana Anubis will strike at any dragon for simply looking at her. She hides away in her twisted angst, crushing rocks against the cave walls and knocking down trees in anger. No dragon has any earthly clue what caused this dragon to become this way because Nirvana Anubis has cut off all telepathic communication whatsoever. This leaves the reason for her frustrations up to guess. Some dragons have simply concluded that this dragon is only a feral beast that has no brain. However, the wisest dragons of the cave can sense hurt and betrayal in her past, and work hard to bring her to a more comfortable state by providing her with food and advising pesky gawking dragons to leave her in peace.

Accept: An angsty angst dragon with angst problems who angsts a lot. Try to be a little more creative. Still, it's a description, so I'll approve it.

Wow tough crowd, man. sad.gif This is actually one of the only dragons on my scroll who "angsts".

A mysterious and angsty dragon, Nirvana Anubis will strike at any dragon for simply looking at her. She hides away in her twisted angst, crushing rocks against the cave walls and knocking down trees in anger. No dragon has any earthly clue what caused this dragon to become this way because Nirvana Anubis has cut off all telepathic communication whatsoever. This leaves the reason for her frustrations up to guess. Some dragons have simply concluded that this dragon is only a feral beast that has no brain. However, the wisest dragons of the cave can sense hurt and betrayal in her past, and work hard to bring her to a more comfortable state by providing her with food and advising pesky gawking dragons to leave her in peace.

Accept: An angsty angst dragon with angst problems who angsts a lot. Try to be a little more creative. Still, it's a description, so I'll approve it.

Wow tough crowd, man. sad.gif This is actually one of the only dragons on my scroll who "angsts".

I don't see any problem with the description.

Though if you want me to be my OCD writer self (which I am when I write me dragcave fanfics) I'll tell you that I would probably object to the usage of 'angst' in the first area, as I tend to have a problem with words being used more than twice (or even once) too close to each other. But you don't have to change that. Nobody else except me or...that guy would notice. biggrin.gif

Hmm, looks like the phantom rejecting troll is back - whoever it was just no-comment rejected 3 of the 4 descriptions I wrote in the last hour. Fortunately, each of them also got a no-comment accept, too. biggrin.gif

Here they are, the descriptions of a family of sunrise and sunset dragons. If anyone might see something that actually caused the rejections, by all means please let me know; otherwise, I'll just assume 'tis the work of the troll. wink.gif

The haughty Z'Soleil spares no love for fools. If a dragon proves incompetent at his given task, Z'Soleil becomes irritated, tells the dragon to leave the work to him, and assigns someone else to do it. Though he is a hard taskmaster, and has earned the ire of many dragons, he is nevertheless excellent at finding the right dragons for any job that needs doing. He is a master at delegation and, while he is not likely to soil his claws himself in doing work, he ensures that the work gets done, no matter how many dragons he has to fire in finding the right worker. His commanding personality and refusal to argue any matter - his decision is always final - cause his fellow clan members to experience both deep awe and great aggravation.

Shy and demure, Z'Soleil Amant's more gentle mate is, internally, deeply passionate. Ryvasser collects parchments covered in romantic tales of forbidden love and star-crossed lovers, and paws over them in her lair, dreaming of a more exciting life. She would rather die than for anyone else to know how those stories intoxicate her, and keeps them hidden away in a chest, collecting new ones only when she can do so anonymously. When not voraciously reading, she can frequently be found soothing the ruffled feelings of the dragons who recently had to work with Z'Soleil.

If there is mischief afoot and the misfit pygmies can be ruled out, it was most likely the work of the sibling duo, Taiyo and Yuuhi Amant. Taiyo, as the older of the two, is often the ringleader and the mastermind. Because of their differing schedules, Taiyo usually handles the logistics of grand-scale daytime pranks. While Yuuhi most enjoys playing jokes on individuals, Taiyo is never more pleased than when they have pulled off a prank on a large crowd. Having inherited their father Z'Soleil Amant's talent for delegation and commanding personality, Taiyo often puts other dragons up to the actual playing of the prank. Few, though, are fooled by the siblings' feigned innocence after such an event.

If there is mischief afoot and the misfit pygmies can be ruled out, it was most likely the work of the sibling duo, Yuuhi and Taiyo Amant. Yuuhi, while not the mastermind, is excellent at catching the little details that Taiyo might have missed. He is also deeply intuitive, and good at knowing which pranks will work best on which dragons, and which to leave be in case a trick really hurts someone's feelings. Because of their differing schedules, Yuuhi usually handles the logistics of any night-time prank. While Taiyo most enjoys playing jokes on large crowds, Yuuhi enjoys a more individual touch, tailoring a prank to one or to a small group of dragons. Having inherited their mother Ryvasser Amant's gentle personality, Yuuhi often finds himself soothing ruffled feathers after a successful prank.
Edited by LibbyLishly

He has been a small nuisance since a hatchling due to his pervading impatience. He far too quickly gets upset when a request is not immediately fulfilled even when it requires a lengthy process, much to the chagrin of his mother, who continues to reprimand him firmly even as an adult.
User Comments

Accept: awesome

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

(Hehe, this dragon's code's in his name. I thought it looked like "Do it now!" so I made a description with that inspiration)

Edur loves to soar over taigas, occasionally swooping down to brush against the tallest pines, shaking off their snow-covered caps. Gaining traits from both his parents, his dexterity exhibits itself in a dance through the snowy spruce treetops as he plays, or whilst trying to impress a potential mate. While his preferred forests are cooler, thus offering him less lift than a jungle, his wings have gotten stronger from the higher necessary effort to maintain his flight above the frosty woodland.
User Comments

Accept: Lovely job! :3

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Cool. -

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

biggrin.gif More positive comments!

A many thanks to those who actually write something on the accepts, it cheers me to know that you enjoyed reading enough to actually write something in response, even if it's simple! A little goes a long way. smile.gif

Edited by Xyie

Hmm, looks like the phantom rejecting troll is back - whoever it was just no-comment rejected 3 of the 4 descriptions I wrote in the last hour. Fortunately, each of them also got a no-comment accept, too. biggrin.gif

Here they are, the descriptions of a family of sunrise and sunset dragons. If anyone might see something that actually caused the rejections, by all means please let me know; otherwise, I'll just assume 'tis the work of the troll. wink.gif

I see nothing wrong with them, and I also had a sudden round of rejects with no comment (4 rejects within 60 seconds) with descriptions that I see nothing wrong with; I can't imagine the stories were all so appalling that they warranted instant rejects.

Edit: I apologise to whomever I insulted with the comment left in Megastrom's description. sad.gif

Edited by Scotland

*puts up a sign at my description factory: TROLLABLE DESCRIPTIONS 500+ NO MODS ONLINE (600,000 miles --->)*

That should keep them away :3

Or maybe not:

@asdf

DESCRIPTION:

asdf has always known it was different. As a young hatchling, while it was being named, its owner Beacker1160 made an amazing discovery: the legendary name 'asdf' had not been taken. He quickly gave this name to the baby dragon, so it could preserve it for later use. asdf today is quite a normal dragon, though it sometimes wonders how long it has to keep the name 'asdf' and when it will get a new, and hopefully permanent, name.

COMMENTS:

Accept:

Reject: it -> she, its -> her

Err. Okay, I mean, I can refer to a creature as an it? Like if I was talking about my non-existant cat and how he'd horrendously fat, I could say, "IT'S over 9,000 pounds" or "IT sits in my living room--or at least a tiny chunk of IT" it doesn't have to be she. I wrote it as an 'it' because that dragon is a placeholder and I might have to make another dragon the placeholder and I'm too lazy to change all the "she" to "he"'s so I want to have a multi-gender description. Whoever this is, please update your grammar rules, thank you smile.gif

Whoever this is, please update your grammar rules, thank you smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that was me; if there is more than one spelling/grammar mistake in a short description I tend to reject. As far as I know, English has long since stopped using grammatical genders but instead uses the natural gender of whatever is described. For example, if you used the word for girl, mǽdencild, in an Old English sentence, you would refer to her as 'it', as the grammatical gender of the word mǽdencild is neuter. In modern English you just refer to the word girl as 'her', which is a natural instead of a grammatical gender. As dragons clearly have a gender (paper dragons and the non-dragon dino's excepted) I don't see why you would use 'it' as it is not the natural gender of the creature you're describing. I don't see what you are referring to when you say "update your grammar rules". Could you refer me to your sources?

I wrote it as an 'it' because that dragon is a placeholder and I might have to make another dragon the placeholder and I'm too lazy to change all the "she" to "he"'s so I want to have a multi-gender description.

Eh, if you're bouncing the name around different dragons, why keep submitting it to the description queue with every change? Don't get me wrong, you're free to do as you like with your dragons and descriptions so don't take this too harshly, but if it means enough to you to have that description, surely you could take the time to change those couple of letters?

Edit: I've since been googling around for rules regarding referring to animals as 'it' rather than 'he' or 'she'. It seems to depend entirely on one's opinion of the animal in question; referring to an animal as he/she indicates one considers it a high form of life; others feel one can only refer to animals as 'it', as they are a lower form of life than humans and thus should be referred to the same way as inanimate objects, regardless of the fact that animals have a gender.

Assuming you deem dragons a low form of life, you are entirely correct in using 'it' when referring to your dragon and thus I take back my previous statement. My apologies!

Edited by Scotland

But, many frozen hatchlings were frozen prior to gendering, so their owners refer to them as "it". Reviewers can see the proper genders, and often inform the owners. Sometimes the owners of ungendered frozen hatchlings post descriptions solely to learn the proper genders of the hatchlings. In some instances, "it" just means that the gender is unknown and has no relation to the way the person sees the critter.

But, many frozen hatchlings were frozen prior to gendering, so their owners refer to them as "it". Reviewers can see the proper genders, and often inform the owners. Sometimes the owners of ungendered frozen hatchlings post descriptions solely to learn the proper genders of the hatchlings. In some instances, "it" just means that the gender is unknown and has no relation to the way the person sees the critter.

Ehm, frozen hatchlings either show as "S1 frozen hatchling" or "male/female frozen hatchling" right? So as far as I'm aware you would know whether to refer to it as neuter/male/female. If they're frozen at stage 1, they stay at stage 1 (and genderless) regardless of whether they'd have enough views for the second stage, right? Or am I mistaken?

Also, the dragon in the discussion above is an adult female Hellfire.

Edit: I've found my source. Dragon Cave Wiki:

Formerly, hatchlings that were frozen before growing wings could still mature to the second hatchling stage if they had a high enough view count. This is no longer the case, and any hatchlings frozen after the update that led to this will stay in whatever stage they were frozen in. Freezing is limited to twelve dragons every two weeks to prevent hoarding.

I wasn't on Dragon Cave before this change so I don't know about the goings-on with descriptions and frozen hatchlings before that.

Edited by Scotland