Dr. Paine

Description comments

In another land that had nearly lost touch to magic and all of its sources, a dragon was born with strange abilities. Naming him Thatanos Argos Baskina, a cruel allusion to three evil gods, his parents deemed him a freak and left him in the paws of his grandmother--- a soothsayer considered insane by most. But a friend came to him in this time of need. All around but never seen, he called her Life-Song, for every living thing depended on her presence for survival. At Baskina's request, Life-Song formed a new reality--- existing alongside their world--- for those with special skills like him, where he would be the king: the Kindgoms of the Keepers. But unfortunately, three upstart humans and their dragon compainions rose up against him, forcing him to flee the three lands and retreat to a fortress in the mountains while he plotted away his revenge.

Comments:

Accept:

Accept: wink.gif

I thought the backup had been dealt with. But I've had nothing but these same two comments for a week now. I'm glad they liked it, but it's sorta bothering me.

this is the only description i've written, and it was for my dark myst pygmy dragon, "the rev tholomew plague", named after my favorite drummer who sadly passed away in 2009, i think.

The Rev Tholomew Plague, or "Rev", for short, has always held a passion for the drums since he was a hatchling. He was constantly surrounded by the deep rhythm of the drums, as his owner held a love for music, and playing the drums was a hobby of hers. Rev would often sit beside her, listening to the harmonic sound of each individual drum and watching her tap the drums with her set of drumsticks. He began to memorize how each drum and cymbal sounded, and soon was eager to play for himself. One day, he snatched the sticks out of her hands, jumped onto her lap, and held the sticks in his scaly paws and mimicked his owner. Stunned, she watched as he flawlessly tapped each drum and cymbal in a beautiful, deep rhythm. Not soon after Rev had shown his owner his developed talent, she looked into getting him his own drum kit. After that day, The Rev Tholomew Plague can often be seen spending his afternoons playing the drums alongside his owner in a beauteous harmony.

i got three accepts total, but this one made me laugh:

Accept: HAM IS DELICIOUS! HAM IS ONE OF THE MOST FLAVORFUL MEATS. HAM IS LIKE REGULAR MEAT WITH MAGIC IN IT.

I'm currently trying to get my dragons their descriptions done. While I was waiting for Sunset's to get accepted, I gotten this interesting note.

First of all, Sunset's description:

A fairly shy yet incredibly curious hatchling, SunsetLabrynthe (or Sunset, for short) is NiGHTS' adopted sister. She is, though, forever a hatchling due to a freak accident caused by the elder dragons of her previous clan. After the incident, the other dragons left her to die... That was, before NiGHTS found her and took her back to the cave, where KimokoTheDragon and the other residences of the cave decided to take her in as one of their own. When she is not watching her big brother, Sunset is often found taking a nap, playing with the other hatchlings and dragons, or reading some of the stories that Kimoko has written down.

And here's the comment I got:

Accept: NiGHT... I met him once, in a weird land, and reveiwed him with a passion. He quailed before my strangeness, but knew that he himself was an oddball. Oh yes.

EDIT: I had gotten another Accept, which pointed out a slight typo in my description. I fixed it, so I'll just have to wait and see if anything else comes up.

Edited by Kimoko_the_Dragon

Accept: NiGHT... I met him once, in a weird land, and reveiwed him with a passion. He quailed before my strangeness, but knew that he himself was an oddball. Oh yes.

Well what reveiw did the other dragon get? *waves fist at serial strange reveiwer*

NiGHTS didn't get any comments on his, despite there being one like. His original description had the same typo, however, so I had to correct it. From my understanding, though, I'm guessing the person might have heard of the character NiGHTS before as well.

EDIT: xd.png They're back~!

This time, it was on NiGHTS himself.

NiGHTS' description"

A rather friendly dragon, NiGHTS enjoys nothing better than to help people and to bring happiness to any creature that decides to visit the cave. When he's not busy greeting people at the entrance of the cave, helping KimokoTheDragon any other residents of the cave, or putting on spectacular aerial shows for people, NiGHTS can be found resting on a cliff watching the stars of the nighttime sky.

Here's the comment:

Accept: NiGHTS... having met him once before and taught him to be peculiar, I declare a WIN! {Weird comments. Adding interest to your day}

Edited by Kimoko_the_Dragon

Might start writing desciptions; your reveiwer guy is like xd.png

Just put my vampires in the queue and got:

Accept: This is the third vampire description from your scroll I've had the questionable pleasure of reveiwing...

Who would write something like that? If you don't like hommage names/descriptions - fine, if you don't like the writing - fine, if there's something wrong - point it out and don't accept.

I could easily live with 'Not my cup of tea' or something but this seems somehow mean-spirited and while I'm an adult and can deal with that there are a lot of children/teenagers playing who might be hurt by some comment like this sad.gif

And it's probably the same person who pointed out 'Childer' as wrong.

Dear commenter, childer is an old-fashioned word for children (still used in a couple of dialects today) and is sometimes used to refer to the whole of a vampire's offspring (a Sire and his Childer) and was therefore used consciously.

Edited by herk

Is it possible they didn't understand the exact meaning of 'questionable pleasure'? If I were you, that's what I'd tell myself!! wink.gif Maybe the word they were really looking for was 'undeniable'?!!

But yeah, constructive criticism is what we're meant to give in comments, I think.

Just put my vampires in the queue and got:

Who would write something like that? If you don't like hommage names/descriptions - fine, if you don't like the writing - fine, if there's something wrong - point it out and don't accept.

I could easily live with 'Not my cup of tea' or something but this seems somehow mean-spirited and while I'm an adult and can deal with that there are a lot of children/teenagers playing who might be hurt by some comment like this sad.gif

And it's probably the same person who pointed out 'Childer' as wrong.

Dear commenter, childer is an old-fashioned word for children (still used in a couple of dialects today) and is sometimes used to refer to the whole of a vampire's offspring (a Sire and his Childer) and was therefore used consciously.

"Questionable pleasure" was not necessarily meant as an insult. Of course, I haven't read your descriptions, but Vampire descriptions can be a bit grim, like a novel by Stephen King. Even though I enjoyed it, even though I chose it, and finished it, sometimes the subject matter can be overpowering, and I might describe it that way.

As far as the one who didn't recognize "childer", they just sound less literate, maybe one of our younger members.

"Questionable pleasure" was not necessarily meant as an insult. Of course, I haven't read your descriptions, but Vampire descriptions can be a bit grim, like a novel by Stephen King. Even though I enjoyed it, even though I chose it, and finished it, sometimes the subject matter can be overpowering, and I might describe it that way.

As far as the one who didn't recognize "childer", they just sound less literate, maybe one of our younger members.

I think your assessment of "questionable pleasure" is probably accurate, and akin to a "guilty pleasure," something you like even though you feel like you shouldn't. I would welcome the term if it were used in my Vamp comments.

However, I am an avid reader with 50+ years of reading most things I can get my hands on, and I don't recall seeing "childer" as a word. Childer and Childers are surnames, fairly common, but in the thousands of volumes I've read, I've never seen childer as a word. My spell checker doesn't recognize it either, but when I googled it, it shows some resurgence in the newest Vampire stories, a genre I haven't gotten around to yet.

I got it from fan-fiction wink.gif But I looked it up and it is indeed a word albeit one from a local/old-fashioned dialect (source said Irish origin)

I stumbled upon a few words in descriptions that I never heard before and if I don't mistake them for a typo I look them up to grow my vocabulary smile.gif

I apologize for my bad choice of words.

I, too have been reading for 50+ years, and have come across "childer" before. I may be misremembering, but I associate it with German, which makes some sense as vampire mythology is associated with Germany and a lot of English comes from German. Also, reading is my addiction, I really read a lot and have an eclectic taste, though modern vampire myth is not one that I seek out, generally.

A bit of a spoiler to the show Once Upon a Time, so, if you like the show, be warned...

Raegina's mother wanted her daughter to be prim and proper, to be a lady rather than a warrior. But of course, Raegina ignored all of her attempts to change her. One day while out training with a friend, she heard the cries of a young hatchling. She bested the ogres attempting to claim the hatchling's life, but the hatchling turned out to be a princess. The hatchling's father was so relived that Raegina rescued his daughter that he asked her to be his queen. Her vain mother, who only saw the king's immense horde full of more riches than anyone can imagine, insisted that her daughter except, but Raegina only had eyes for one dragon. He was a commoner, with only a few coins to his name, but she loved him anyways. They made plans to escape together, which she foolishly told the princess. The young hatchling, believing she was doing the right thing, in turn told Raegina's mother. As Raegina watched her beau die at her mother's claws, she vowed that she would get revenge.

Comments:

Accept: Ahh! This episode of "Once Upon a Time" made me cry. :'( I can totally picture Regina as a Hellfire, though. xd.png Nice job! <3

Abstain: so relieved that (not 'relived') -- that her daughter accept (not 'except') -- it's anyway not anyways.

Reject:

Accept:

Someone got my reference! *cheers* But what's with the random reject? And I wish comments didn't get erased if you resubmit.

I've been collecting these for a while - time to post some.

It's not unusual for dragons to keep pets - cats, birds, drakes, and the like - but Vethra is one of the few to have a pet human.  That's how she views it, at least - the human has his own home (which Vethra shares) and keeps himself provided with food, clothing, and so forth, but it's Vethra who makes sure he eats regularly and gets enough exercise.  If the human believes that Vethra is the pet, well, she's willing to humor him.  Artists are such demanding creatures to take care of, especially when engrossed with their latest creation, and his harmless delusion makes life easier for her.

Accept: Had to laugh at this one biggrin.gif

Accept:

Accept: Cute!

Accept: Made me laugh smile.gif

Accept: Nice description!

(I was hoping someone would get a chuckle out of it.)

Eft is terribly afraid of dragonflies.  Something about the way they move, combined with all the stories told about them, causes him to tremble whenever one is near.  As he lives near a pond, this is a definite problem, and Eft often wishes he dared recruit Salamander's snapping turtle friend for a bodyguard.  As he doesn't quite have the nerve to do this, he spends a lot of time around large frogs, instead.

Accept:

Accept: *chuckles*

Reject: You should make it longer!!! And more descriptive!

Accept: Aww, lol, so cute! Great! smile.gif

(Some dragons get 900+ character epics, but not this guy, I'm afraid.)

If even half of the rumors about Gallifrey Weyr were true, it was a place of wonders, its inhabitants capable of feats of magic beyond the reach of most ordinary dragons.  Gallifrey Weyr perished long ago, though, gone in a blaze of glory along with every dragon living there.  Timelord (his real name remains a mystery) is one of the last survivors, as he was traveling at the time, and now wanders the world with only the occasional companion for company.  As his name suggests, he can travel into the past or future, though never to the time of his weyr's destruction.  Kind, impulsive, and often maddeningly enigmatic, Timelord has been acquiring an increasingly impressive reputation wherever he travels.

Accept:

Accept: Lovely, Mathcat! One might even say Brilliant! ()

Accept: Love it! love 'maddeningly enigmatic' too - so Timelord wink.gif

(I have the 10th Doctor elsewhere on my scroll, so I guess this guy would be the 9th.)

Cajidi has a deathly fear of clowns.  This wouldn't seem to be any particular problem, as dragon weyrs are not a place they're normally found (misfit pygmies aside), but Cajidi lives in Dragontown.  The town's eclectic mix of humans and dragons draws many visitors, including several traveling circuses, and so poor Cajidi spends a part of every year a nervous wreck.  He tries to leave town before they arrive, but the circuses don't always give advance notice, leaving Cajidi to be terrified by a chance glimpse of bright colors and elaborate face paint.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Reject: okay but rember this site takes place in the medival era i don't think they had circuses back then

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: What is a "weyrs"?

(I'm fairly sure they had circuses, or something of the sort - perhaps 'circus' isn't the word I'm looking for in this context. Also, a weyr (term borrowed shamelessly from Anne McCaffrey) is a place where dragons live - 'clan' makes me think either of Scotland or Warrior Cats, so I only use it where there's some strong familial connection.)

Accept:

Accept: Lovely, Mathcat! One might even say Brilliant! ()

Accept: Love it! love 'maddeningly enigmatic' too - so Timelord wink.gif

(I have the 10th Doctor elsewhere on my scroll, so I guess this guy would be the 9th.)

That bolded one would be me! cool.gif

I also remember accepting the circus one (I dislike clowns...).

As a young water horse hatchling, We are the teal ribbon's has always seemed to care for and about others; therefore, he was specially selected by StarSea to be one of the many head parents in the Awareness Ribbon Dragons lineage. He is the head father of the teal ribbons PCOS, or Polycystic Kidney Disease, support. Together, he and his mate, PCOS supporters, help support those honored by the teal ribbon.

Abstain: you don't need an apostrophe in ribbons - apostrophes show possession, not plural

I don't think my reviewer is reading my dragon descriptions correctly... All of my Awareness Ribbon Dragons males are named as "We are the (ribbon color) ribbon's" because they are owned by the ribbon, technically. They support the ribbon, not the ribbon supporting them, and it wouldn't be "ribbons" because they are supporting only one ribbon, and only one specific thing of that ribbon. Like my yellow ribbon supporters, my harvests, aren't just one pair named to say "We are the yellow ribbons" "supporters", (and even then, I feel that it should be "ribbon's") but "We are the yellow ribbon's" "military troops supporters", "We are the yeIlow ribbon's" "second chance supporters", etc. See what I mean? They don't support all the ribbons, nor do they support everything that a single ribbon stands for. I mean, thank you whoever it is for taking your time, but I don't feel that you are reading or even understanding properly.

What say you all?

Oh, they've all been accepted, but I'd still like to know what others say, so feel free to let me know via thread or PM!!

Edited by StarSea

This last description made me realize it is impossible for me to write a description containing less than 900 characters of the allotted 1000.

One afternoon Gretta the goat lay under a tree peacefully resting. However this was cut short when she was suddenly hit by a stray magic spell cast by her master Claudus, a mad wizard known for his crazy experiments. Claudus, not realizing he used magic on Gretta, grew worried when she became increasingly ill and bloated. For days on end Claudus searched for a cure to poor Gretta's ailment to no avail. Then one day he finally came upon a breakthrough: an enchanted turnip which could turn the immune system into a sentient entity capable of eliminating any and all diseases in the body. However Claudus never got a chance to use such a magnificent turnip for when he came upon Gretta she was seemingly cured with the only adverse affect being a strange, slightly smelly creature clutching to her. Thus the creature made of cheese, which Claudus easily accepted as the offspring of Gretta the goat, became known as Goat the Cheese while the magic turnip was forgotten in the annals of time.

• Accept:

• Accept:

• Accept:

• Accept:

• Accept:

• Accept: Made my day smile.gif

• Accept: Lucky! You have a cheese dragon! ¢¾ Great description!!!

• Accept: Haha I really like your description. No mistakes! biggrin.gif

I really love this description so to all who reviewed and didn't reject or abstain I thank you! Also thanks for not calling me out on my minor mistake, which if you can't see I'll never tell! laugh.gif

On a side note, whats ¢¾? huh.gif

As his owner's first dragon, Midnightgaze has seen and experienced many important events in the history of the Cave, such as the loss of the Bright Pink and Frilled breeds, many, many, many new breeds being discovered, lots of holidays and special events, and his own cave gaining over 500 members. Despite his advanced age, he still monitors the weather, ensuring that it is the right kind for the particular season, though sometimes he gets extremely grumpy and just makes it rain for several days until his owner gently reminds him that not everyone's a water-dwelling type of dragon. Sometimes, at night, he can be heard telling stories of his youth to the hatchlings and young adults ("You mean there used to be only girl Purples and Pinks?!" exclaims a shocked Saffronpaw, a frozen boy New Pink hatchling) and reminiscing with the other elder-aged dragons ("Remember that time when we were carrots for a day," recalls one, "that was quite the hullaballoo, wasn't it?").

User Comments

Accept:

Accept: Hooray for corrections smile.gif

Accept:

Accept: smile.gif after a flood of one-liners, that made my night!

Accept: i think i remember seeing this before. its just as awesome as last time.

Accept: I laughed at the end, lawl.

Accept:

Accept:

^To whoever wrote the bolded comment, that was my inspiration for his description. While reviewing, I kept seeing short ones that only said "This is (username)'s first dragon." or "This is my first dragon!!" *eye twitch*

@HawktalonOfRiverClan- That was me who got your reference~ biggrin.gif

As a young water horse hatchling, We are the teal ribbon's has always seemed to care for and about others; therefore, he was specially selected by StarSea to be one of the many head parents in the Awareness Ribbon Dragons lineage. He is the head father of the teal ribbons PCOS, or Polycystic Kidney Disease, support. Together, he and his mate, PCOS supporters, help support those honored by the teal ribbon.

Abstain: you don't need an apostrophe in ribbons - apostrophes show possession, not plural

I don't think my reviewer is reading my dragon descriptions correctly... All of my Awareness Ribbon Dragons males are named as "We are the (ribbon color) ribbon's" because they are owned by the ribbon, technically. They support the ribbon, not the ribbon supporting them, and it wouldn't be "ribbons" because they are supporting only one ribbon, and only one specific thing of that ribbon. Like my yellow ribbon supporters, my harvests, aren't just one pair named to say "We are the yellow ribbons" "supporters", (and even then, I feel that it should be "ribbon's") but "We are the yellow ribbon's" "military troops supporters", "We are the yeIlow ribbon's" "second chance supporters", etc. See what I mean? They don't support all the ribbons, nor do they support everything that a single ribbon stands for. I mean, thank you whoever it is for taking your time, but I don't feel that you are reading or even understanding properly.

What say you all?

Oh, they've all been accepted, but I'd still like to know what others say, so feel free to let me know via thread or PM!!

Ribbons is plural. If it belongs to a ribbon, it would be the ribbon's elephant or the ribbon's cat, but if I myself am the ribbon, it's "I am the ribbon", or if there is more than one of me "We are the ribbons". If a bunch of us are purple, we'd be the purple ribbons (no apostrophe).

@Denwayasha ~ Hooray for corrections! was me! I love it when I've made a comment and I see the description come back through corrected. smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hehehe. Thanks to the person who made me smile with this comment: laugh.gif

User Comments

Accept:

Accept: Lagie. >:3 Nice description.

Accept:

(My Cheesie Point of View)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there was this rather unusual comment on a black (but they kindly accepted it anyway):

User Comments

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Not my cup of tea, dear. Too sugary for my taste.

Edited by Lagie

Accept: after a flood of one-liners, that made my night!
That was me - so many people have the gall to give their dragons 'descriptions' that are only one line; 7 or so words. There were so many that night, I was trying hard not to verbally abuse them blink.gif

There's something to be said for a minimum word count as well as a maximum.

@Starsea - While I agree that there is nothing grammatically incorrect with your use of "ribbon's", it still looks really weird. Since "We are the teal ribbon's" is the first half of a sentence and not a conventional name, it looks like a random phrase until you read on. I myself was confused after reading that description and I have read through your breeding project. ^^;

Okay, thank you Lagie and Saloiq for the input! I've got yet another one:

StarSea has had many pets in her lifetime so far, one of which was a beautiful rare budgie: all white with a large spot of blue on her chest and where her wing tips and tail met laid another blue spot. StarSea was so excited when she got Angel to put both feet on her hand only days after she got her. StarSea got her in November at only three months old. Sadly, Angel died only two months after StarSea got her, making her only five months old. It is still unknown to StarSea as to why Angel died so young, but she is doing everything she can to find out. Because StarSea loved Angel so much, she named Angel, the dragon, to be in memory of the sweet little bird whom died so young. R.I.P. Angel!

and:

Moderator Reject: I'm sorry. It's hard to lose a pet, especially so soon after you get them. sad.gif However, this description should describe the dragon more than you or Angel. <3

Accepted: *nod* Fast correction!

I'm not sure what I should do now... Hrrm... Help?

Edited by StarSea

Okay, thank you Lagie and Saloiq for the input! I've got yet another one:

StarSea has had many pets in her lifetime so far, one of which was a beautiful rare budgie: all white with a large spot of blue on her chest and where her wing tips and tail met laid another blue spot. StarSea was so excited when she got Angel to put both feet on her hand only days after she got her. StarSea got her in November at only three months old. Sadly, Angel died only two months after StarSea got her, making her only five months old. It is still unknown to StarSea as to why Angel died so young, but she is doing everything she can to find out. Because StarSea loved Angel so much, she named Angel, the dragon, to be in memory of the sweet little bird whom died so young. R.I.P. Angel!

and:

Moderator Reject: I'm sorry. It's hard to lose a pet, especially so soon after you get them. sad.gif However, this description should describe the dragon more than you or Angel. <3

Oh, that's awful... I am so sorry. I know how you feel: I lost a pet kitten once after only a week. Poor little thing was small enough to fit in my palm.

So this isn't totally off topic... Maybe reword it and make Angle the dragon's pet instead of yours, saying that she was dedicated to caring for her and was heartbroken when she died, or say that the dragon's personality mirrors Angle's so much so that she's living memory of her.

and:

Oh, that's awful... I am so sorry. I know how you feel: I lost a pet kitten once after only a week. Poor little thing was small enough to fit in my palm.

So this isn't totally off topic... Maybe reword it and make Angle the dragon's pet instead of yours, saying that she was dedicated to caring for her and was heartbroken when she died, or say that the dragon's personality mirrors Angle's so much so that she's living memory of her.

You could perhaps also say that the dragon has similar traits to the beloved pet, making the focus the dragon rather than the pet.

I have 2 dragons that are described in memory of lost loved ones:

raindears Light Bringer Who was named and described in homage to my lost stepson Christopher, and raindears Golden Shamrock who was described in homage to my dog Scooter who went senile in his old age.

These descriptions mean a lot to me, because they describe very special relationships, but only I am aware (til now) of the meaning behind them. I don't know if this will help you, but perhaps.