Dr. Paine

Description comments

I'm trying to make a dragon group with all of my described dragons.  However I have nearly 2000 dragons in all.

Is there any way that I can look at all of the dragons I have descriptions for, both approved and pending approval?

1 hour ago, edeva01 said:

I'm trying to make a dragon group with all of my described dragons.  However I have nearly 2000 dragons in all.

Is there any way that I can look at all of the dragons I have descriptions for, both approved and pending approval?

The only way is two make two groups. Put the approved in one, the pending in the other. Then shift each over as it's approved. There's no in-scroll way yet to tell which dragons are described (though there is a suggestion thread for it). Mine are combined in one group but I only have 387 total. ;) 

P.S. There's an 'Approved Descriptions' thread here!

Edited by Lagie
Adding link...

Hello!

Clueless newbie here came looking for general ideas about what to put in the description and the bigger question - can I add to it later as I get a better mental picture.

I was lucky enough to obtain a hatching who was older, and I have exactly ONE wonderful adult dragon **pause for cheering**. He is a black tea dragon, who I have named Bright Moonlight Welcomes You and this is the pending description:

"A gentle soul who utilizes ritual and formality as a way to introduce and welcome visitors as well as gently guide the younger members into appropriate behavior. Breeds butterflies and writes Haiku."

Ack! How do I attach my scroll? Hope this works:

https://dragcave.net/user/Newtinmpls

1 hour ago, newtinmpls said:

"A gentle soul who utilizes ritual and formality as a way to introduce and welcome visitors as well as gently guide the younger members into appropriate behavior. Breeds butterflies and writes Haiku."

I'd say the content is fine but would reject it for not using full sentences.

"Bright Moonlight is a gentle soul who... He breeds butterflies and writes Haiku."

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

I'd say the content is fine but would reject it for not using full sentences.

Argh! The curse of the run on sentence! It has followed me since I was 12, and wanting to "start on a novel' and had the entire plot on once page in about three sentences. Thank you. After all I'm practicing all these ideas for eventual fanfic <cackles and rubs hands together>

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, newtinmpls said:

After all I'm practicing all these ideas for eventual fanfic <cackles and rubs hands together>

Cool.

You're welcome! :)

We have a few description writers with dragons with interconnected stories. Have fun with them!

Hey there! I've been away from DC for a few years. Back and writing descriptions again. I noticed that you can now also view pending descriptions and that several of my descriptions are are still "pending approval" since 2020 with 40 comments. Is there (almost) no moderation for descriptions anymore? 

Also, if there is, are there more detailed guidelines somewhere? Or could you guys give me pointers? ❤️ The official guidelines say "avoid first person" and  "some people write their descriptions from the dragon’s perspective" which, to me at least, seems ike that is a legit possibility, but I also got a Moderator Reject: The narration from the dragon's point of view is strange compared to the rest of the site.

CB Frostbite 13 gazes out the entrance of her cave. She blinks. Thinks. If only she could remember who just said hi to her. She doesn't mean to be rude, but really, everyone here is so difficult to tell apart. All the Frostbites have the same figure, scales the same shade of white, the same glacial blue spikes, even all the caves in this neighborhood look absolutely identical. Not only that, their names are also way too similar. She thinks it was CB Frostbite F4 who was talking to her this morning about her new pet arctic fox. Or maybe that was CB Frostbite M8, and CB Frostbite F4 was the one who had the bad tooth.

It's just all so confusing. She has noticed that the Frostbites who find a partner and start a family tend to move out to a bigger, personal cave and will assume a new, fancier name, but she herself has only had a summer fling and isn't settling down yet. Moving in together is a big step, you know. She has enough trouble simply remembering the names of her dates.

User Comments
Accept: Hey, I just saw this dragoness on Describe-a-dragon! Now, to get to work on ODISP... - KoD
Accept: I had friends at university who were twins. To this day, I do not know which of them I had a fairly long chat with one day on the street! XD So I can sympathize!
Moderator Reject: The narration from the dragon's point of view is strange compared to the rest of the site.
Accept

Well I can kind of get that this is really strongly first person flavored despite technically being 3rd person, if that makes any sense.  I was going for poetical at first so pretty much all of my early efforts got rejected. 

3 hours ago, Mirhana said:

but I also got a Moderator Reject: The narration from the dragon's point of view is strange compared to the rest of the site.

Weird. I don't see a problem with it.

And yeah, the backlog is intense.

I just found out that I apparently submitted a description for my very first dragon many years ago (actually turned out to be my second)… however, I was a young teenager, and I didn’t realize that it was an approval-based process or anything.  All I did was write “My first dragon!”… as you can imagine, it got lots of rejections. I’m glad I never realized or read any of those comments back then, because I probably would have felt very hurt and embarrassed. 😅 I just did a new description for him. Hopefully this one gets approved!

Edited by Rainbeetle

Welcome @newtinmpls! I use descriptions as a way to work on my own writing practice, too, so you're in good company. And I'm one of those people who likes making my dragons' descriptions all Connect in overarching narratives. Honestly, dragon descriptions are one of my favorite things to write these days.

I do think the poetic voice stuff can walk a thin line for me... On the one hand, I get that we want the descriptions to be Cohesive with the rest of the site, but on the other, it makes sense that the Scroll Keeper, as the one writing the description, may indeed tend toward first person... And on a mutant third hand, I love poetic language. Eh. I can see why the constraints would rankle, and I can see where they make sense for the lore.

39 minutes ago, Feathers said:

On the one hand, I get that we want the descriptions to be Cohesive with the rest of the site, but on the other, it makes sense that the Scroll Keeper, as the one writing the description, may indeed tend toward first person... And on a mutant third hand, I love poetic language. Eh. I can see why the constraints would rankle, and I can see where they make sense for the lore.

Yup, I have at least that many hands too 🤩

Oh wow, thank you for linking your described dragons. I'm going to have to figure out how to do that. 

7 minutes ago, newtinmpls said:

Oh wow, thank you for linking your described dragons. I'm going to have to figure out how to do that. 

Make a group for them. Share the group link. ;)

4 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Make a group for them. Share the group link. ;)

Yup, what @Lagie said! Then put that link to whatever you want to hyperlink to your group. I nerdily have mine in One Big Group and then in Smaller Groups, and I fiddle with the order in all of them so there are different reading experiences. Yay, futzing!

Edited by Feathers

9 minutes ago, newtinmpls said:

I actually had started a "descriptions" group; my process is I name them, then I describe them

https://dragcave.net/group/223280-descriptions

ARgh this is NOT working for me today 

The group worked! Hopefully your descriptions will be reviewed and be visible soon. Love this name: Mana is joy given form

43 minutes ago, newtinmpls said:

I actually had started a "descriptions" group; my process is I name them, then I describe them

https://dragcave.net/group/223280-descriptions

ARgh this is NOT working for me today 

Yes, I can see the group, too. And you do have some lovely dragon names, I especially like Winds Echo River Voices!

37 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Love this name: Mana is joy given form

I'm glad it worked! Thank you for the compliment! 

3 minutes ago, Feathers said:

I especially like Winds Echo River Voices!

Thank you! 

When I realized how limited the space was, I started adding a zero and an m at the end; kind of hints at the AUM/OM meditation sound and I doubt I'll duplicate anyone's name that way. 

On 2/8/2023 at 6:25 PM, newtinmpls said:

When I realized how limited the space was, I started adding a zero and an m at the end; kind of hints at the AUM/OM meditation sound and I doubt I'll duplicate anyone's name that way. 

Oh, that's you! Earlier, I came upon an aeria gloris (I think) with the 0m, and the style of description stood out from the rest in the queue.

Someone complimented my Sculker:

That is an awesome name. For both art and artist.

Thank you 😊

I was looking at my "next in line" for a name, and hoping for some inspiration I followed his heritage back, and low and behold, a little dragon I traded as a hatchling was in that nest. Not named yet, or I never would have recognized him, but holy coolness! Hello Seven-Poof! (not his actual name/designation/code) So weird!.

I still don't see any of my dragon's descriptions unless I go into "actions" but I hope eventually that will come. So I shall continue my slow, name, describe, plunk into "descriptions".

I do have a few other groups, but I have the feeling I'm going to want to be very "up" on where my described dragons are.

Coward. Craven. Chicken.
The words of his clan didn't bother Alasdair. Their life is harsh, but to him that is no reason for bloodshed. He will not use his magical prowess against any living being, other than to dodge or deflect in skirmishes with the cruel Ice and Winter further up the mountain. Still, Alasdair made himself useful the best he could, accompanying his baby sibling, foraging what little edible vegetation there is. He would never stray far from home, keeping to the small stream running from their cave to avoid potential conflict. But even that close wasn't safe enough. 
An Ice dragon emerged from the small stream, and charged Alasdair and his little sister. Alasdair's magic was a sight to behold, using mana shields or pulling rocks down for cover, deflecting attacks. But Alasdair is poorly trained in the art of war, and one momentary lapse of attention was all it took. His tiny sister, caught in Beinn-Deighe's icy breath. Maimed for life. 
Coward. Craven. Traitor.

User Comments
Accept
Accept
Accept: This writing is super good! :)
Accept: Oh. I wish there was more room for the story to allow for redemption

Ty! ❤️

Also, I need some feedback as a non-native speaker. Would "surrogate guilt" be the correct way to phrase feeling shame/guilt for something someone else has done?

Even as a hatchling Aodh grew up in shame. Shame for anything he was not the best at. Shame for even the tiniest mistake he made. Shame for who he is. Shame for being the son of a coward. 

In playfights with other hatchlings he would push himself just that little harder. In a hunt, he will race the others just a little faster. In patrols of their territory, he will be the first to lunge into action, drawing strength from the fire mana deep in the ancient volcanic rock, flinging spells of terrifying might at the Ice and Winter dragons on the attack. To prove his clan wrong. To prove his prowess, his loyalty and his courage. To prove that he is not his father. 

Yet he is still his father’s son. Aodh abhors bloodshed. He abhors killing, even for food. He abhors hurting any living being, even if they mean to kill. But the pain of his actions does not outweigh this unbearable feeling of shame and surrogate guilt that has been weighing him down his whole life. 

Hi folks! I have a question about a comment I received -- below is the dragon description and the comment itself. A potential content warning that this involves a description of dragon gaslighting, essentially? And certainly an abusive cult-like group dynamic in any sort of human context!

Spoiler

Mooncomplain used to have another name, but she's not allowed to talk about that. Just like she's not allowed to talk about most of her life in the Weyr of the Moon.
First she wasn't supposed to be ungrateful for the mate the Moon gave her, even though his feathers are dull and his wit duller. Then she was told to simply accept that her first egg, the prettiest blue and shiny as she, held no life inside and had been tossed to the river, swept from the Valley, just because the Weyr healers said so.
She's thought about that egg every day since she lost it, but the troubling part to her Weyrmates is the speaking. Smoothstone, leader of the Weyr, has visited her himself to pay his condolences for her loss, to empathize, and most importantly, to ask her to please keep her voice down. The Moon would bless her with another egg soon, he reassured her.
If she was quiet.
He renamed her as a reminder to keep her thoughts on the Moon, but still she thinks of her first egg. Speaks of it, too.

Reject (Other): I am not sure of site policy, but this feels like it might not be an appropriate approach to this topic for meeting the PG13 rating. e.g. framing and name choice imply fault on part of abuse victim

To be immediately clear off the bat, I would never in any way want my writing to imply, directly or otherwise, that an abuse victim in any way is to blame for abuse or mistreatment. I was striving to achieve a third-person limited perspective with something of a tongue-in-cheek sardonic voice, where the tone could imply that Mooncomplain is resisting her unjust mistreatment, seeing clearly the facades offered to her for what they are. Her name being changed was something that was done to attempt to control her behavior, but it did not and has not worked.

That said, is this description as written inappropriate for site content? This particular dragon was one I accidentally a) named a name that another dragon already had, and b) bred when I was egglocked and subsequently kicked the egg. I meant the description above to be a sort of "watsonian," on-scroll explanation for that gameplay stuff mainly. I don't think it's inherently PG-13+ to explore some dynamics of power and abuse in these terms, but I may be limited in my understanding, and I know I'm prone toward (as my signature says) "distasteful angst". I certainly would not want anyone to be made uncomfortable or negatively activated by a dragon description! I'd love any feedback anyone might have on the appropriate-ness of this description/theme.

Edited by Feathers

@Feathers It is a bit uncomfortable to read, especially if you've been there before, but I wouldn't classify it as site inappropriate. We can kill eggs as an action in this game by crushing it against the ground, lol. Bit dark when you think about it.