Dr. Paine

Description comments

Lithe Fexquiex

Often checks out

The wrecks he spies

He checks ties gay

Sunrise, he seeks love, Favonet.

((For those who are unsure: Favonet is pronounced Fah-vo-nay. This is important for the rhyme.))

Accept: Do you, uh, intend for the parenthetical statement to be part of the breed page description? -DT

Reject: does that even rhyme?

I answer the former question with the latter: I added the parenthetical so that those who do not immediately notice the rhyme will be encouraged to pause a moment and look. It is what poets call 'internal rhyme', when the rhyme is not at the end of the line. In a ya-du, the last syllable of the first line rhymes with the second-to-last syllable of the second line, and the third-to-last syllable of the third line; that third line similarly rhymes internally with the last two.

Ribbon of Sun loves to dance in the sky,

Though given her kind that is no great reveal.

Scintillating, she confounds the eye

Mystery gives her a special appeal.

If she's aware someone's watching her wheel,

She will most certainly turn tail and run

Incredibly shy, she often will squeal,

Certain mean dragons think chasing her's fin.

There is a sunsong who's her number 1,

A quiet tom who keeps her fears stayed,

While he is singing she'll dance 'till she's done,

When Muisi's there Ribbon won't be afraid.

Her dancing for him is the purest of love,

The two need each other when push comes to shove.

Accept: Very unique form of description!

*Purposely misinterprets comment*

...Actually, it's a sonnet.

-cut out because I just want to respond, not quote-

All of your writing is amazing, Hawktalon! P.S. I like warriors too.

So bringing this back to the top with a little descripdoom/descripforce humor. My flamingos are dancers, all your glamingos belong to brair smile.gif

Tired Wings is yet another flamingo who is obsessed with dancing. He dances until his wings begin to burn before returning to the cave for some well earned stretching. He documents how long he can dance and what dances he can do, hoping to one day surpass the dancers who keep ending up in the infirmary.

Abstain: please stop i can't take any more dancing

To the abstainie, sorry my flamingos dance. I try to make the descriptions varied though smile.gif

I have a pretty little 4G Avatar from RA checker that I decided to describe.

Angel Avatar has a gift for changing the course of love with gifts of her scales, as well as a knack for identifying those who need her help. A single scale of hers, if freely given, can give man, woman, or dragon the courage needed to take their love to the next level... or just to talk to their crush for the first time, in many cases. Her cave is swamped by presents from people grateful to her for this intervention.

Beware the curse of the scale stolen or taken by force however: more than one thief has been cruelly rejected or publicly humiliated after such treachery.

Accept: i am sure you are fully aware of the overpowered nature of this description, but given that it's an avatar of change that can be permited

Thanks, anon, but she's not really overpowered. Underpowered is more like it.

(quick apology there is a small chance that I rejected a few things with no comment yesterday, I was tired and I was learning about regression in math so whoops)

I can not believe people like this description I wrote, to be honest.

Cheeto Puff Senpai is often seen examining a small, ripped piece of paper. He never lets anyone else go near it, and any attempts to are met with vehement resistance. If pried away from his watch, however, there's often a few moments to read it. Its contents, however, are merely a rather confusing set of materials for an alchemy experiment.

"INGREDIENTS: Enriched Corn Meal (Corn Meal, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, and Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola, and or Sunflower Oil), Cheese Seasoning (Whey, Cheddar Cheese Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Whey Protein Concentrate, Monosodium Glutamate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Artificial Color Yellow 6), and Salt. CONTAINS MILK INGREDIENTS."

USER COMMENTS

Accept:

Accept: very immersive wish he was mine

Accept: I love it

Apparently immersive means copy-pasting Cheeto puff ingredients for a description! biggrin.gif

I'm glad to see people like it though. Thought I'd get a reject saying "There's no cheetos in DC you scrublord".

Kalo Ja'quelec often gets teased because he is the only male purple dragon around. He doesn't mind it though, as the teasing is harmless and playful. He views himself as a ladies' man. It is proven when the female dragons love being near him because he is sweet and charming, going so far as to flirt with the females. Human females beware, Kalo has a tendency to flirt with them as well, by rubbing his snout against their shoulders or wanting to cuddle, nothing more than that, however. He just loves attention from females. He is not territorial over them, preferring to avoid fights, even backing down if he oversteps his boundaries.

User Comments:

Accept: Nice!

Accept: What a big flirt. xd.png

Fritz is a very angry dragon with a bad attitude, despite her present master's loving care towards her. Her previous master neglected her while she was still an egg, refusing to give her attention even as a hatchling. Fritz, despite being a mean-tempered dragon, longs for a child. Being that she is much too weak to lay an egg, she steals them from the other dragons if the mothers aren't too careful. Fritz keeps these eggs for a short amount of time but has no energy to stop those that take the eggs back from her, causing her extreme sorrow. She is seldom in a good mood, so it is advised to not approach her at all. Even the slightest thing can cause her to turn to a foul mood, so others are wary of approaching her, which does nothing for her.

User Comments:

Accept: Nicely done.

Accept: Poor thing though!

I'm glad to see people like it though. Thought I'd get a reject saying "There's no cheetos in DC you scrublord".

You'd be surprised what you can get away with in DC as long as you describe it without naming it and without obviously breaking the "medieval" rule. C:

She is surprisingly forthright about discarding her own soul like a dirty rag. Reportedly it was in exchange for more control over the destructive magic in her lineage, but her remaining friends claim it was to remove the trauma from her former friend's genocidal behavior. The previous name she once had was apparently discarded once she was parted from her soul.

Was last seen pursuing the genocidal dragon into an ancient GoN temple. Reports of roaring, crashing and oddly enough, telepathic singing pin the Knight as alive. For now.

Accept:

Accept: Nice description filari. Is it an undertale reference?~brair

Abstain: woah, this is intense, but tragicly sad ;c

Accept:

Sup Brair! How's Leineia doing? As for undertale references, not quite. I was listening to Stronger than You (the original Steven Universe version, which does have a few undertale spinoffs I think) while thinking about Dark Souls. Then I started thinking about if the player character was a dragon fighting bigger scarier dragons. And singing a cheerful number to reassure themselves that they wouldn't get squashed. And saw this dragon's name.

Personally I didn't see it as my saddest or most intense description, sort of meh to be honest. Thanks for the feedback though.

On Rumplestiltskin (a CB mint):

Rumpy is sure he can spin straw into gold. His cave is littered with heaps of straw that are decidedly not gold, but that hasn't stopped him yet. He dares other dragons to guess his full name and flies into a rage when they get it right. He always forgets that all the dragons have access to Lagie's scroll with all the dragon names on it, and he's blissfully unaware they always know which dragon he is because of the straw stuck in his scales.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: Poor little Rumpy! Too funny. smile.gif

Accept: I know you can do it Rumpy!

Accept: LOL

On Trotsky's Minz Description Mod (another CB mint):

Minz loves to read. Minz loves to write. Minz is highly skilled at writing very short stories, stories that consist of one thousand characters and spaces or less. He considers it a challenge, and he's always up for a challenge. When he's done writing his very short stories, Minz likes to spend time reading the very short stories written by some of the other dragons. He keeps a special scroll beside him, and, as he finishes each story, he makes a note about it, then writes 'Accept', 'Reject', or 'Abstain' after it. Minz always hopes that his input will help the other dragons become better writers. That way he'll have even more fun reading.

Accept: I love it

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Edited by Lagie

All of your writing is amazing, Hawktalon! P.S. I like warriors too.

Ohmygosh ohmy.gif Thank you so much! You just made my night, seriously.

I wonder how highly-rated descriptions are decided. I guess it's a secret.

Some humans call her R-Bud, presumably short for "rosebud". Or maybe they think of her as their bud(dy), since she's good-natured and likes visiting humans to compliment them and give them lovely presents. R-Bud groups the "gift types" all together as "valentines", so she hands out "valentines" to sweethearts, who may also be known as "valentines". Confusing. R-Bud has a fondness for cute little things, so her gifts are also small - people receive a single ripe strawberry, a peanut-sized candle, a card that can be balanced on a finger, and other charming gifts. So tiny! The humans like to call them valentinies.

Accept: Please name your dragon.

NO! biggrin.gif

Jennette is a loner, but she also enjoys getting her back fins scratched. This presents a problem: she dislikes the company of others, but she cannot reach behind herself very well. One day, her problem was solved for her - she wandered out of her jungle territory in a desipis-induced haze and came upon a rubbish pile not too far from a human settlement. After sleeping and recovering for a half-day, Jennette looked around a little and found what would soon become her best friend: a long, wooden back scratcher. On one hand, Jennette's new living space is the dump because she has no idea how to get home, but on the other hand, she doesn't need anybody anymore because she has a back scratcher.

Accept: 10/10

Accept: I could't exactly infer how the dump became her home, but either way it's a good description. smile.gif -PL

Accept: This sounds like a set up for a buddy cop film. "One dragon. One back scratcher. The Number One comedy in Valkemare." -BWPZ

They fight crime!

Reviewers have a "reviewing power" which changes based on how many of their decisions agree/disagree with mod decisions. Based on that, they effect the "rating" of a description, which lets mods see if reviewers mostly approved or mostly rejected a description. So if a few of people whose decisions usually agree with mods approve a pending description, it will have a higher rating and probably be visible. Descriptions with no reviews or with mostly rejects are going to have a low rating and will not be visible.

Reviewers have a "reviewing power" which changes based on how many of their decisions agree/disagree with mod decisions. Based on that, they effect the "rating" of a description, which lets mods see if reviewers mostly approved or mostly rejected a description. So if a few of people whose decisions usually agree with mods approve a pending description, it will have a higher rating and probably be visible. Descriptions with no reviews or with mostly rejects are going to have a low rating and will not be visible.

Interesting! biggrin.gif Thanks, Sock!

So that means whoever accepted Tale of Woe has a higher rating than whoever accepted Celeminty as Tale's description shows as pending, where Celeminty's does not sow at all. I look forward to doing more reviewing tonight!

Yay, thanks for the rundown! I think I've asked that before. >.> It looks like making minor changes to a description (thus wiping out reviews) still keeps the pending description on the view page. I like that! I hope that's intentional.

More:

Copper Benzoate keeps a colorful, tall, boxy device of her own creation in her cave. It's made of hundreds of moving parts but kept in like-new condition with magic. If visitors dispense a few shiny coins and pull a lever at the side, the three belts begin to whir. When the icons on each belt line up, a bunch more treasure is dispensed for the "player". Many people enter the cave to play in hopes that they will win. Of course, the odds are always against the player. Copper Benzoate has noticed that some visitors use the device with the goal of losing a bit just to have an experience, to feel the thrill of a risk and chase the "shadow of a win", as she says. However, many more players think they can win big, and these are the sort of people who add a ton of treasure to her pile. Some dragons think Copper Benzoate's method of accruing a hoard is cheating. She thinks nothing of those opinions. In fact, she's drawn up plans to build another device, one that involves picking numbers.

Accept: Great description! Vegas in a dragon. -Syl

Accept: What a nice dragon! I love the idea of the slot box.

Most dragons don't smile at all and have other ways to show they're happy, but Harold smiles all the time, even when he's not happy at all. He likes bright lights and flashy patterns, so his territory is adorned with purple and yellow flowers. He occasionally plays announcer when the tri-horn wyverns and other fight-happy dragons put on a show, but usually, he's just walking around overseeing his land and making sure all the little dragons there behave. Some of them are very destructive, but Mr. Smiley can't do much except yell at them and ban them for life, all while smiling.

Accept: Nice description~brair

Accept: ":)" -Harold probably

Accept: Brought a smile to my face. smile.gif

Haha! The smilies made me smile.gif (for real)

Neils Bohr is handsome and intelligent, but he's thought to be crazy. He studies in his tree while everybody's out flying and running. He talks about waves and particles, and itty-bitty things fusing and pulling apart, and even tinier things moving at high speeds, and just a bunch of nonsense that nobody understands. He once started about the structure of matter, which sounded interesting enough, but soon, he was using made-up terms and fanciful thoughts about who-knows-what, and everybody lost interest. Neils has a few friends who seem to enjoy unintelligible rambling like he does, and the normal dragons avoid them so they won't catch their madness.

Accept: Let me guess... His best friend is Rutherford!

LOL, yes! His friend created a model of an itty-bitty... thing... and he improved on it. Craaaazy.

Cooro is a cute little guy, but it doesn't change the minds of a good number of humans who are afraid of his appearance and powers, especially once he's grown. He is a bit absent-minded and slow to make decisions. No matter what happens, though, he is always optimistic and cheerful and has made a number of friends as a result. He loves eating and is especially fond of apples.

Accept: Not sure about the 'once he's grown' part, as frozen wyrmlinge never will grow. Perhaps you can say it clearer, such as 'they are afraid he will grow and wreak havoc'?

Since the only way to describe a hatchling is to freeze it, I talk about most of mine as if they're still growing, like the description is a moment in time, which is what a lot of adult dragon descriptions are, too. tongue.gif

Stenography doesn't just write like the other dragons - he has a very unusual method of shortening his words and phrases so he writes as little as possible. Others would say he's lazy, but a lazy dragon wouldn't invent and spend months perfecting an entire system of little squiggles to allow him to write faster. Using his dominant hand, he can easily keep up with another speaker or thinker's speech while scratching away on his lined wood slices. While that is an amazing and extremely useful skill for a transcriber to have, what makes others scoff is that he could easily enchant a writing tool to write quickly, without learning a silly bunch of symbols. Why do any work when magic can achieve the same ends. They think Stenography is stupid.

Accept: Is his surname Pitman? xd.png

Yes! And his middle name is Gregg!

Abstain: if they me...? This cuts off, Tabs!

Sorry! I don't have the character count bar any more, and I haven't made a habit of counting them before submitting descriptions. unsure.gifbiggrin.gif

Sorry! I don't have the character count bar any more, and I haven't made a habit of counting them before submitting descriptions. unsure.gifbiggrin.gif

xd.png I approved the resubmit. biggrin.gif

Enns lives with a family of humans, their complex close to the edge of the city, but still far enough within that the human dwellers can walk to the forum [blah blah blah blah] becoming an emergency meal are low, but he still doesn't want the family to becomes desperate enough to try to make Enns meat.

Abstain: I like it, but "city?" Dragon Cave takes place in medieval times. If you meant a popular village, I'll accept that.

I do mean city. DC lore has given users lots of freedom when it comes to setting:

The humans of Valkemare have established a variety of settlements, ranging from lakeside villages to large cities.

Also, some human settlements during the respective Earth timeframe have had high populations, like 180,000 for El Pilar, 250,000 for Athens, ~1 million for Zhongdu, and so on.

Croon was singled out when he was still an egg. Rolled away and rejected by his parents, the gentle, plaintive sounds coming from his shell attracted the attention of his new owner, who immediately scooped him up and took him home. When he hatched, he announced that he wished to be known as Croon. His nature matches his name; ever gentle, he shows great patience and affection with all. Because they love him and wish to protect him, those around him go to great lengths to prevent him from witnessing any incident that might incite his wrath.

User Comments

Reject:

Uh.... got a reason to go with that reject? o_0 Croon is one of my Aegis dragons (his code is Croon, with different caps), and this is my effective statement that he will never now become enraged.

Uh.... got a reason to go with that reject? o_0 Croon is one of my Aegis dragons (his code is Croon, with different caps), and this is my effective statement that he will never now become enraged.

There's nearly always one random, reasonless reject per description. I wouldn't worry too much about it! xd.png

There's nearly always one random, reasonless reject per description. I wouldn't worry too much about it! xd.png

Ah. I don't usually describe my dragons, stuff like that is highly off-putting. rolleyes.gif

On Trotsky's Sacred Cereminty:

Cereminty loves pomp and pageantry, the more outlandish and outrageous, the better. Fancy clothes, fancy makeup, fabulous food. She hangs out in the nearby town with the local wedding planner, revelling in the extremes to which prospective brides will go to fulfill their dreams. The rare bride who decides to go for something simple will find herself being tactfully, and sometimes not-so-tactfully, persuaded to go for more and bigger and better, regardless of the expense. Cereminty cherishes her reputation as a no-holds-barred creator of the perfect ceremony.

Accept: Oh, ceremony + minty = cereminty. I will do my best to avoid her and convince my family and friends to avoid her, too... -DT

xd.png

The funny thing is, I had to resubmit as I'd mis-typed her name the second time. Of the four accepts on the first submission, not one of them had commented, and no one had the 'magic touch' that made it appear as a pending description.

-----------------------------------------------

On Thank You Randall:

Never was there a dragon as polite as Randall. He always says please. He never forgets to say thank you. Sometimes, he'll even say please twice in one request. "Please, would you step away from that brownie, please; it's mine!" Randall is always trying to impress upon the hatchlings the importance of manners. "Manners will take you anywhere," he is fond of saying, leaving some of the less intellectual hatchlings searching for a magi named Manners.

Accept: Made me chuckle, I like the charm of him as well

Accept:

Accept:

Randall's name is actually a line in a commercial. For some reason, it stood out!

Edited by Lagie

Tessik is known for his habit of sticking coins to sidewalks. This in itself would hardly be worth mentioning, except that he doesn't restrict himself to coins dropped accidentally. He'll use spells to encourage people to drop change handed back to them or, when especially bored, spells that cause coins to jump out of pockets and meld themselves to the pavement. Orlaera has threatened to turn him into a coin and stick him to the sidewalk if he doesn't stop annoying the tourists.

Accept: When I find money on the ground, I consider that they've been stuck there by pranksters and push them with my foot first. Even with bills -DT

Ceereta's greatest accomplishment was the result of a culinary disaster. She'd been heating oatmeal in a large cauldron, so that a group of hungry human laborers could have a hot breakfast, when she got distracted at a crucial moment. When Ceereta rushed back to the cauldron, she found that the oatmeal had set so hard that she couldn't even scratch it with a claw. A team of Goldenmage Assembly researchers finally freed the mass, but only by dissolving the cauldron (and then sending money to the humans for a new one). The oatmeal was worth the effort, though, as it became the prototype for a new building material. Ceereta is glad that her accident proved useful, but she still refuses to have her name attached to the substance. It's bad enough that she can't walk down certain stretches of sidewalk or past certain buildings without being convinced she smells cooked oats.

Accept: "she was distracted" or "became distracted" Ugh, dried cereal/oatmeal caking my bowl is such a pain, I've joked before about using it as brick. Great description -DT

(This was more like Mythbusters and the cement mixer.)

Every summer, Xalsau makes tasty frozen desserts out of fruit, sugar, water, and sometimes a little milk or cream. The desserts used to be extremely messy to eat until she figured out how to embed small sticks into one end to serve as handles. Some of Xalsau's creations - the ones, incidentally, that are most popular with hatchlings - are colors found nowhere in nature and will do alarming things to the color of one's tongue.

Accept: I love those! I should be grown-up and do more "constructive" things, but I feel showing off one's Delta Airlines-red tongue is one of the few joys in life -DT

(I couldn't figure out how to work this in, but as she uses magic to make them, the color of the popsicle might not be the same as the color it dyes someone's tongue.)

Fallen Redwood of putrid blood

A stunted child of incest and hate

Left for dead in a pit of mud

Loathing kin that propagate

Extra-worthless beasts like he

Never like them will he be.

Retarded by his malformed flesh

Exile seemed to do him good

Distance made him look afresh

What he was and what he could.

Oft he listened as he traveled quite far,

One day a drake told him something bizarre:

"Don't worry, it's okay to be what you are."

Abstain: Great description, but... a drake? -DT

Yes. Drakes aren't smart, but that doesn't stop them from being friendly. I figure a drake wouldn't comprehend what inbreeding is/means, and therefore would look at Fallen Redwood for what he is rather than why. Giving simple advice to try and cheer up a little dragon would be well within a drake's capabilities. It's the sort of thing a dragon would tell a drake that the drake would then repeat.

...That, and I only had room for one syllable in the meter.

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody has commented on it being an acrostic.

All the Works and Days of Hands is a wonderful handyman despite neither having hands nor being a man. Some others are perturbed about an individual being named after a body part they lack, but it doesn't seem to bother her in the least. She often helps Esivan out with construction, using her time magic to slow things down when something is falling that shouldn't be in order to prevent undue injury. The only problem is her tendency to lift and drop questions on others' plates. She especially harasses her mate with these questions, to the point where he will sarcastically joke about it.

Abstain: How does she lift and drop questions? -7M

She is part of a personal 'love song' lineage project I'm working on, based on "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". It mentions "Time for all the works and days of hands / That lift and drop a question on your plate". Manipulating metaphysical things is well within a powerfully magical dragon's capabilities, right?

Peccarino loves cheese, and has a herd of dairy cattle that he keeps on a little farm far to the northwest of a large city. Few dragons from the city have visited his farm to see his cows, and he complains about his long commute, so many dragons joke that his cheese is actually harvested from a mine somewhere on Cirion. Peccarino finds the tale quite amusing, so he doesn't complain, but if asked he won't lie about the real story.

The cheese that Peccarino makes is a firm, white cheese that is excellent to use for alfredo sauce and as a topping on pasta. He is good friends with the poetic pasta-maker Khaira, and they often talk about food together.

Accept: A bit cheesy.

XD

Don't think there's much more I can say about that one.

I'm somewhat surprised that nobody has commented on it being an acrostic.

I, um, was too distracted by the drake to notice? No, I appreciate the explanation. Most talking drakes in the queue are also sentient, dragon-level intelligent drakes that can read, bake cookies, and oversee sorties. Which are unacceptable.

Reject: It does not appear that frill dragons are particularly powerful users of magic. Therefore, shapeshifting into a human may not make much sense.

sad.gif But it doesn't say they don't have magical abilities either, right?

Edited by dirtytabs

Makoto Naegi is an extremely average dragon, even by Frill standards. The kind of dragon who'd just blend in as nothing more than an extra in the background of the life of someone far more interesting. His appearance is standard, his interests are ordinary and his personality is regular. He's prone to panicking, he has no talent and... well, as far as positives go, he does believe he is more optimistic than most.

So how he ended up at Hope's Peak to study alongside the Ultimates can be explained in one word: 'koun'. 'Koun' means 'luck'. Makoto bears the title of Ultimate Lucky Student: he was enrolled simply because his name was drawn in the academy's yearly raffle. Truly lucky, indeed... even as an average, talentless individual, to be learning at such a prestigious academy surely promises a great future...

Accept: You are a nerd

I don't think I've laughed harder at an accept. THANK you, o wonderful person who has recognised me as the nerd I truly am.