Dr. Paine

Description comments

3 minutes ago, Earth Gurl said:

Sorry, friends. :) IRL has been quite hectic, but I did knock out like 300 the other day. We're at like 200 rn.

I don't think that was a critique - more like a  'LOOK that's a TON of users who saw this in the queue' ;)

Considering the fact that I used to pm Ruby when my PERSONAL queue hit the 3 digits I don't think a queue of 200 is anything to be ashamed of <3

1 hour ago, Herk said:

I don't think that was a critique - more like a  'LOOK that's a TON of users who saw this in the queue' ;)

Considering the fact that I used to pm Ruby when my PERSONAL queue hit the 3 digits I don't think a queue of 200 is anything to be ashamed of <3

TBT to when I first started the queue and Tabs had like 800 pending descriptions or something nuts. XD 

5 hours ago, Earth Gurl said:

Sorry, friends. :) IRL has been quite hectic, but I did knock out like 300 the other day. We're at like 200 rn.

Thank you! :D 

An accident with a peach when Peach and Mint was young left her traumatized and terrified of peaches. Whenever she sees one, she attempts to hide, but if that is not an option, she freezes in place and cries out for help. This exasperates many of the Mints, but she makes up for it by being remarkably helpful and level-headed when there are no peaches in sight.

Accept:

Accept:

Accept:

Reject:

Accept:

Accept: look at the peaches. they're round....the shape of eviilll

Why the blank reject?

@Earth Gurl

It's fine, take your time. I'm patient. You're doing them really fast! I would never get nearly as many done in, like, years.

Cute description! Blank Rejects can usually be ignored. Reviewer has been a. careless clicking the buttons, b. careless reading, or c. not actually reviewing and just clicking Reject for everyone.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:08 AM, Earth Gurl said:

TBT to when I first started the queue and Tabs had like 800 pending descriptions or something nuts. XD 

(innocent whistling)

Edited by Dirtytabs

On 2/20/2018 at 8:29 PM, Peachycupcake525 said:

Why the blank reject?

I occasionally get one random blank reject in there, too and it always makes me wonder WHY also.

Like...IF something about it was wrong with it to the point that you HAD to reject it ( be it grammar, too different from what the canon for the breed is or WHATEVS) , shouldn't you also be able to articulate WHAT that problem was?

[snip] If Mental Note is awake, she's smoking. Even if there's no supply of joints in sight, there's one perpetually hanging from her mouth between her canines. It's joked among family members that her cloudy platform is made mostly of tobacco smoke, not water droplets.

Abstain: Good writing, but, oof... is smoking/tobacco usage allowed according to guidelines?

You mean the "medieval" setting? Tobacco smoking is thousands of years old.

2 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

You mean the "medieval" setting? Tobacco smoking is thousands of years old.

A 2-second google search shows that it's been around since the B.C.s (your post made me curious). So yeah, totally fits the timeline... But perhaps they are referring to the PG nature of the site? Even then I'd think your description would be fine, there are plenty of dragon names with tobacco references.

Edited by HeatherMarie
typo

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

A 2-second google search shows that it's been around since the B.C.s (your post made me curious). So yeah, totally fits the timeline... But perhaps they are referring to the PG nature of the site? Even then I'd think your description would be fine, there are plenty of dragon names with tobacco references.

I have a LOT of dragons who are described as enjoying intoxicating herbs or alcohol. It really shouldn't be a problem

Fairwater is a fair water. His lustrous scales, well-kept barbels, and jovial demeanor have gained him a number of admirers. The silly nickname and lascivious glances embarrass him a bit, though he much prefers light teasing to being ignored. Fairwater has had countless affairs with men and women of different breeds and tastes, though his heart is with the neighbor heartstealing - fitting, yes - who writes wonderful plays and music. His attraction lies with her, and while he dislikes being out of the water, the only times he crawls onto land is to lie with her.

Reject: What is a fair water?

A good-looking water dragon. I couldn't resist some wordplay.

Jaqul is a subject of the so-called supreme ruler in Crule, called Noodle. Her positive feelings about him outweigh the negative, since she feels killing the shah's entire family was not nice, but she didn't really like the shah's policy on expatriates and other foreigners, and he was a bit of a pompous hothead. She enjoys the bread and circuses of the wily Noodle vastly more than the death matches previously held, too.

Accept: Was the shah also a Royal Blue? If so, killing is out of character for the species, maybe specify? Unique story, nonetheless.

I haven't considered the shah's breed. Noodle is a xenowyrm, for whom (aside from gaias I guess) murdering a bunch of dragons may not be out of character. The described dragon is peaceful.

Edited by Dirtytabs

uRGE2 Collect Dragons likes collecting dragons, although the other dragons are less than thrilled at being added to her collection. Many have escaped into the wilderness while she runs after them yelling "Oi!" "Come back, I haven't released you yet!" She is almost as good as a Pink dragon at raising eggs and hatchlings and has learned some spells for creating fog from the Storm Dragons to keep them from prying eyes. To the other dragons it seems as though she has very picky and continuously changing tastes when it comes to Nebula Dragons. Some years she hoards purple and blue Nebulas while leaving reds and greens to fend for themselves. Yet in other years she can't get enough of the red and green ones, and it is the blue and purple Nebulas that get tied to tree trunks.

I made the suggested fixes but this:

• Moderator Reject: Some typoes - collecting dragons repeats in the first sentence, and also see user comments. Resubmit with fixes!

But collecting dragons doesn't repeat in the first sentence "uRGE2 Collect Dragons" is her name (since her code is uRGE2), "collecting dragons" is what she does and "her collection" is what other dragons are less than thrilled about being added to. Ok so it does but on purpose not by accident

The description was moderator approved earlier but the quotation marks got messed up (changed to &QUOTE;)

• Reject: "picky - and arbitrary" maybe? She seems to prefer the reds and greens if I'm reading right, "ones, and it", "hoards" verb, a horde is an army

Nope, she prefers red and green nebulas currently, before that she liked blue and purple ones and in the future it might be red and purple. I changed it to be a bit clearer I hope. 

Spoiler

The colour of nebula she collects changes for the same reason the colour of nebulas we might be collecting changes (different lineage projects). This is a dragon that does the same sorts of things we do with dragons after all

Edited by Chaos Rider

OH the first 'collecting dragons' is part of the name. I totally missed that. I thought it was meant to be 'uRGE2 likes collecting dragons'.

To be fair, I also went through over 400 descriptions in one night last night, so there may have been a few brain slips, sorry!

17 hours ago, Kaini said:

To be fair, I also went through over 400 descriptions in one night last night, so there may have been a few brain slips, sorry!

Wowsers, thank you for the incredible work you have done with this!!

I have a question on what is acceptable after a user posted essentially the same comment on a couple of my descriptions:

On a morphodrake:  Reject: Capitalise breed name

On an aria dragon:  Reject: Capitalise Aria

I just want to be clear - since dragon breeds are not proper names, I did not think they need to be capitalized, any more than I would capitalize a dog breed.

Do not routinely capitalize the names of dog breeds. Many breed names are composed of proper nouns that you capitalize and generic terms (like retriever or terrier) that you lowercase.

Is it the moderator's assessment that all dragon breeds need to be capitalized, or may I ignore those comments?

30 minutes ago, Awdz Bodkins said:

Is it the moderator's assessment that all dragon breeds need to be capitalized, or may I ignore those comments?

While the cave standard is to capitalize (learned that recently), I have many descriptions where I have not capitalized the breed name so you should be okay.

It is cave standard to capitalize them, but I wouldn't reject just for that. I can see it as a matter of taste.

Thank you. As I have never capitalized breed names, I may remain consistent with that unless the breed description indicates they were named after something. I am not going back to change all those descriptions.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

As if she didn't smell bad enough as a Turpentine hatchling...

Being the only Turpentine hatchie, Steph was immensely conscious about her smell. "It's a part of who we are, don't worry" her mother would assure her, trying to make Steph stop her excessive cleaning and give her a gentle prod to play outside with her friends. But Steph would be mortified if even the faintest whiff of turpentine could be smelled about her. How the other hatchling would make fun of her! Though her mother had warned her time and time again to stay away from the deep oasis as she couldn't yet swim, she couldn't help it - surely a deep dive would wash the smell off!
It took a while for her mother to find her - Stephanie's lifeless body washed up on the shore in the scorching sun. Even the most potent spell couldn't bring her back; not to what she was, anyway. Her flesh had already rotted, her missing skin exposing the ligaments underneath. Forever sitting by the oasis, she is washing, washing her smell away.

• Abstain: comma needed after worry (inside the quote) --- other hatchlings would make (you have more than one, I'm guessing!) ---
  • Accept:
  • Accept: So sad:( It's well written though

I actually took the comma out because I was at -1 characters XD But completely missed the missing s, so I shuffled the text a little bit to make things fit.

By the way, can I just say I appreciate everyone leaving comments, I love getting feedback on my little descriptions so thank you all!

Edited by Mirhana

Reading just 20 today made my brain tired, and here I see someone going through 400 descriptions, wow XD

You know what, mind if I add the burden by adding my own descriptions someday? I'd like to learn grammar too :v

Caitlin had always intended to have a large family. To see a piece of herself and of her mate grow into something unique, a new individual; it felt magical to her. Her hatchlings would always have younger siblings to play with and older siblings to teach and guide them. The giggles of childhood forever echoing throughout the cave, as hatchlings play age-old games in a warm and safe home. That was her dream.

Reality proved slightly different.
Although high peaks and rocky mountains are a Golden Wyvern's natural habitat, Alba proved a poor place to settle. There was not enough food and not enough space for yet another clan of dragons. and every inch of stone was fiercely disputed. Dragon clashed against dragon. Fangs, claws and magic became weapons. There were casualties on both side of the war, as was to be expected.
But she never expected it to be her second child. It transformed the calm Wyvern into the fiercest warrior of her clan, unyielding and steadfast.

• Accept: I think I liked this better without the new final sentence.
  • Accept:

I know, but I'm still trying to figure out the new rules that descriptions aren't a place to write a story, they should describe the dragon's personality. I have so many descriptions I need to edit because they focus on their history too much 😥 I have descriptions I've had since 2008 that I've had to resubmit due to random &nsbp thingies appearing in the text, that are probably going to be rejected now.

Edited by Mirhana

1 hour ago, Mirhana said:
  • Accept: I think I liked this better without the new final sentence.
  • Accept:

I know, but I'm still trying to figure out the new rules that descriptions aren't a place to write a story, they should describe the dragon's personality. I have so many descriptions I need to edit because they focus on their history too much 😥 I have descriptions I've had since 2008 that I've had to resubmit due to random &nsbp thingies appearing in the text, that are probably going to be rejected now.

What new rule?

The point of the description feature is for you to describe your dragon. If your description doesn’t relate to the dragon, it will be rejected by the site moderators. If you’re stuck, try writing about the dragon’s personality.

Hasn't been changed in ages as far as I know. Stories are OK as long as they relate to that dragon specifically and don't tell stories JUST about your clan as a whole - or Rapunzel or something. I sure as hell would say a story tells you more about the dragon than someone just describing their looks for example.

@Herk

Descriptions aren't a place to write a story, they should describe the dragon's personality”. 

Was that always a rule? I’ve been gone for a while so I guess I just forgot XD 

Edit:

I used to write about the history or a key turning point in the dragon’s life so takes some getting used to focussing more on explicit descriptions of personality. 

I asked a mod for advice regarding some descriptions involving a zombie-by-suicide and a murdered hatchling (to keep things PG-13) and when I should accept/reject/abstain while reviewing.

Edited by Mirhana

11 minutes ago, Mirhana said:

@Herk

Descriptions aren't a place to write a story, they should describe the dragon's personality”. 

Was that always a rule? I’ve been gone for a while so I guess I just forgot XD 

Edit:

I used to write about the history or a key turning point in the dragon’s life so takes some getting used to focussing more on explicit descriptions of personality. 

I asked a mod for advice regarding some descriptions involving a zombie-by-suicide and a murdered hatchling (to keep things PG-13) and when I should accept/reject/abstain while reviewing.

This was always OK if it meant you learned about the dragon - it IS related after all  o_O The rules state

If you’re stuck, try writing about the dragon’s personality.

It might be that different people dra the line at different places  but there's nothing inherently wrong with writing  a story ABOUT the dragon - might this be a case of miscommunication?

1 hour ago, Herk said:

This was always OK if it meant you learned about the dragon

^ Right here! That's fine if it's about the dragon and tells me something about the dragon. If it's a completely unrelated RP/ story or so obscure I learn nothing about the dragon itself, that's when I'd suggest changes.

https://dragcave.net/view/BBZEE

"BBZEE had her heart set on living somewhere other than in Lagie's caves. One of the magis was poised and ready to deliver her egg to the famous Z, but BBZEE's egg hatched, and another magi took up the role, ready to transport the young hatchling to Z's caves. Sadly, hatchlings grow up before one knows it and BBZEE was unable to be transported. She hopes one day to visit Z's caves, and in the meantime joins Coffee, Z Mod, and JAvA over endless cups of their favourite beverage, discussing what they think those caves might look like."

Accept:

Accept: Those caves are probably more organised than mine. I can't find my own dragons half the time! - KoD

Accept:

Accept:

Accept: