LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

Talom watched the brown dragon go by with a pat from Heedana. Lira chirped a greeting while Hayzef took a step back. Manual labor? Talom thought. I guess I haven't escaped the mines completely.

"Hello, F'nor," Talom greeted. "Will there be time for me to catch up with the other Candidates? I mean, I completely missed everything you must have been doing earlier." Talom shifted his weight a little nervously. He could tell the man before him was important, and it was more than slightly embarrassing that he had missed so much already.

Soria waited a moment to make sure Amphitere and Achronos wouldn't move before reaching for a piece of food. She'd seen the men of the Wyer act similarly to some of the Holds. At Lemos Hold no one ate before Lady Famira. So when Kaleb paused, Soria assumed it was the same here. After taking some food, Soria poured herself (deciding to wait to have a glass of wine) and Cleo water, then stoped to ask Kaleb what he wanted to drink. "Wine or water?"

(( biggrin.gif ))

Ogrith flapped his wings agitatedly. He shied back from the angry blue, hovering for a moment, his eyes flashing blue. He bugled and flew off, heading for the flock of wherries running in the pens.

S'kom rolled his eyes and left the dining cavern for his weyr, to prepare for the upcoming fall.

He crossed the bowl, passing near the candidates. He avoided gazing in their direction.

Gurty spied S'kom, but he didn't say hi. He didn't like the bluerider very much. He looked back to the pile of firestone before them, and lifted a heavy round stone. He looked around, and saw the others bagging it. He dropped the stone in a sack, but he didn't really understand.

"Wait, why are we doing this?" he asked the other candidates near him.

Jareb looked down at the short boy. "It's actually pretty iimportant," he said matter-of-factly.

F'nor frowned slightly at Talom and gave him a disdaining look. "You didn't listen when you first came here huh?" he asked trying to hide the slight mirth that he felt because many of the Candidates didn't listen. "Don't worry, we go over the same things and most of the time I'll have Heedana, or one of the older Wyerlings run them if I have to go on Fall. But as for now, go over with the others and start loading the bags and carry them to the waiting room. Are you from a miner hold?" he asked taking note of the stringy strength in the young man.

Ezran decided she would explain more instead of Jareb not explaining. "It's supposed to be some sort of heavy Thread Fall today and F'nor said that they were packing more heavily so that the riders could easily keep up with the Thread." she said and helped Gurty a bit with his sack when she saw that the top was slightly undone. She picked up another pack to add along with her already heavy one. "Cummon...I'll show you where the waiting area for the fire stone is." she said and started off at a brisk clip towards the area for the firestone.

Heedana smiled and left to get on her dear Tilleth and ride back to her weyr, but first she had a few things to take care of.

Kaleb grinned when Soria broke first bread. Well, she must know how things are he thought. He mouthed the word Water and grabbed one of his meatrolls and started to take it apart and give some to his bronze and then some for himself.

Soria smiled and filled his glass with water. She gently shifter Amphitere and Achronos to the side so the fire lizards could still press into her legs, but she could more easily reach her food and drink. She did a quick once over of the two, making sure they hadn't been disturbed to much by her shifting of them. Looking shyly at Kaleb, Soria decided to continue their conversation. "How long have you and Etanor been together, Kaleb?"

Kaleb held up a hand with four fingers up symbolizing four years. He still hasn't bred with me near...thank Faranth. That would have been horrible. He snickered at his own thoughts and then made sure that the bronze was sated before he shifted in his spot to ease aching muscles. Stupid firestone...I know the importance but why can't it be lighter?

Soria's mind was a little boggled. Slightly, because four years was a long time to her, but mainly it was because she kept seeing images of her own face and wherry meat in her minds eye. When Kaleb snickered Soria gave him a curious glance, but left him to his thoughts as she took a bite of bread. She thought over what to do about the images and settled for tracing a hand over each of her fire lizards. Looking back to Kaleb, Soria mused aloud, "I guess that means you two have some interesting stories to tell?"

Talom shrank back from F'nor's gaze. He could tell he had a lot to make up for thanks to his own silly mistake. Hayzef hid behind Talom's legs. Talom nodded as he listened to F'nor, taking close not of what he said. He would probably talk to Heedana or one of the other candidates later. "Yes, I'm from Crom Hold," Talom answered F'nor's question quickly. He then grabbed a bag and began to gather firestone. It wasn't that much different from mining, but he found himself being reminded of home and began to wonder how his mother and sister were faring without him. He hoped they were okay, but he knew he had to stop thinking about it so he wouldn't miss any more directions.

Kaleb nodded his head emphatically almost waking his sleeping bronze who just gave an irritated chirp. Sorry love. He said to the kind little one. He decided he would try and talk to Soria through his firelizard again to see if it would work. He took the piece of paper and wrote on it quickly.

For the sake of ease, how about we try and talk through Etanor once more? He seems to be okay with the idea and seems to be comfortable around you.

He passed her the paper as he picked up a few crumbs and let Etanor lick them from his finger.

F'nor smiled and took the bag from him. "Talom? Do you know about firestone? If you do...I would rather have you in charge of the weyrlings and test you out in a position of authority. You seem to have enough spunk and maybe you'll pay attention more." he said with a twinkle in his eyes.

Soria noded to Kaleb after reading his words.. It'd be worth a shot and certianly it'd help her practise with her own two darlings. She cast a glance to Amphitere whom had climbed back into her lap before looking back to Kaleb."Of course. I'm always up for learning new things. Would it work like when he did earlier?"

Kaleb took the paper and started to scribble on it again.

Kinda sorta. Basically, you allow him to enter your mind (all you do is just relax) and then we speak through his connection to both of us.

He was about to put that he knew it happened with dragons if you had enough of a telepathic ability...but then he would have given himself away which he dodn't want to do. Etanor looked up at Soria awaiting her answer.

((Man, I should have thought about that gift. The one to talk to any dragon. It sounds like fun to play with.))

"Sort of like speaking but with him as a go between?" Soria was truely curious as to how that would feel in her head. Yes, she had heard one she assumed was a dragon speaking to her, but she woundered if the sensation would be the same. "It's worth a shot. I don't know how well I'll do. I've never been good at relaxing my mind."

((lol...yah I thought about it last minute...I hope he gets a dragon though cause this will be fun ))

Kaleb looked down at his little firelizard who brushed his mind against Soria's. With gentleness that was peculiar, he opened the telepathic connection between himself and Soria. He chirruped when it was time for Kaleb to open his mind. Within moments, it would have been evident to Soria that there was a third presence in her mind. "Can you hear me?" came a soft and gentle voice.

((You think it'd be bad if I sprang that on Soria? I don't want to be one of the power people, but it sounds like a lot of fun. But if you think it'd be a bad idea I can leave Soria as she is.))

Soria nearly jumped out of her skin felt the presences in her mind. She could feel two tenative presences in the back of her mind, that she assumed were Achronos and Amphitere. Of the other to she recognised Etanor, but the newest one she almost floundered at. She attempted to smooth her thoughts into a reply like her father had told her about dragonriders did with their dragons. It was a wonder to her how many things her father had been wrong about. "Yes, I think so. Is that you, Kaleb?"

Talom tried to resist when F'nor took his bag from him, but he quickly settled to listen. Yes, getting firestone wasn't much different from working in the mines, and he was already noticing mistakes the weyrlings were making. "I can do that," he said. It was a good idea. He would be able to pay better attention because he would be interacting with the other weyrlings. He probably wouldn't wander off either. He smiled at F'nor before turning around to warn a girl that throwing the firestone into the bag wasn't a very intelligent idea. He moved from weyrling to weyrling, assisting them and making sure they weren't putting themselves in any danger.

((don't worry about. Go ahead! But there can only be one more with that ability and then no more smile.gif ))

Kaleb smiled at Soria's answer and closed his eyes slightly. "Yup, that's me. Kinda weird having three people in your head huh?" he asked with a laugh. He stroked the little bronzes tail as he leaned against Soria's bed. He tried not to think of anything else but his dragon and Soria so that his thoughts wouldn't be revealed by his fire-lizard

F'nor smiled at Talom and then walked over to his brown darling. "That one just needs some responsibility that's all...dontcha think Canth?" he pondered out loud.

Canth hummed in agreement to his rider. That was the way we were taught wasn't it? the brown asked his rider telepathically. He shifted his feet eager for the thread fight that was due later this afternoon.

F'nor smiled a champion smile as he patted his friends dark head. "Yes my boy...we were." he said and hopped to his dragons back so that they could go to the hunting grounds where Heedana was...although she wasn't all that happy.

Heedana had ben arguing with the caretaker over the beasts in the bowl. She had seen a decreasing amount of them instead of an increasing amount which either meant that their tithes hadn't come in, the caretaker was stealing, or they had stopped breeding because of stress. "You can't expect me to think that they just up and stopped breeding! Animals don't do that...it's animal instinct to breed like rabbits as best they can...they are horny!" she shouted in the mans face.

"Lady Heedana, you have to understand that with the increasing amount of dragons, we have to have the tithes come in to feed them all correctly." he said trying to stand his ground around the easily upset queen rider.

"I'm sorry...I let my temper get the best of me..." she said reluctantly after her queen had entered into her mind to calm Heedana down as best she could. "My question is as to why the tithes haven't come in yet...I'll have to talk to F'lar, Lessa, or F'nor about this." she said angrily to herself.

"Well, F'nor is on his way m'lady. Now I must be going to make sure the beasts feed." he said and bowed to Heedana before jogging away to get the animals fed.

F'nor had landed in the middle of the conversation without Heedana even noticing. "Heedana, you seem quite upset. What's wrong?" he asked hoping it was nothing to terribly serious.

((Saw that you needed more people! =P Can I be a famous loner?

Username: sharlykng

Character Name: Atana (no last name)

Personality: Fierce, stubborn-headed, patient and doubtful of everyone

History: The only known history of anything related to her is of the missing Sere, her once-upon-a-time lover. She then turned from being a legendary huntress to a famous loner roaming the lands. (where they come from, parents names, siblings, children.)

Looks: Sapphire locks that frame her fair skin, with silver-gray eyes that look like they reflect moonlight. Small muscled petite body donned with minimal leather coverings, leaving much skin that tends to draw unwanted attention. Walks barefoot, a tightly fitted customized quiver by the sides of her thighs, with an elegantly carved bow that's always in her hands. A small hunting dagger purposely shown glinting out of her gloves. A phoenix insignia pinning her hair.

Dragon Name AND Looks: [Kring] An abnormally small gold with the excact same shade of blue with Atana's hair colouring his eyes and the crested horns on his head. About the size of a green dragon. Makes up his size for agility and speed.

Fire Lizards: An adult-sized black with crafty green eyes named Q. Surprisingly loves to steal little things and return them to their owners afterwards.

How's this??))

((You might want to PM that to Lovelost, and I believe gold dragons are all supposed to be female. And I don't think Fire Lizards are ever black...))

((I wanna use it then. I think though I'm gonna have Soria hide it. Mostly 'cause she doesn't understand what it means. Is that okay?))

Soria smiled brightly at Kaleb and nodded. "Most asssuredly. Not something I'm accustomed to but I can say it's not unpleasant. Do you use this method to speak with others?"

She found she was genuinely curious about Kaleb. So, far he'd proven a very interesting person. Much more interesting then the swooning Hold girls Soria was used to. She chewed on a meatroll as she waited for him to reply. One person growled at by her stomache was definitely enough for the day.

((thks Blue smile.gif and Blue is right...number one your supposed to send it in...number two, your descriptions and history is incredibly short (did you read the rules?) All dragons are male except for the greens and golds. greens don't breed although they still rise to mate. All dragons obey no matter what the queen riders. As for you, I'd prefer you sign up as a Candidate first not a rider. All of this RP takes place in the Benden Weyr not the actual planet of Pern. Thanks for your interest but please re-do your sign -up and let me help you understand the world of Pern a lil bit better smile.gif ))

((sounds like fun to me Mijikoi))

Kaleb laughed at Soria's question as he pulled one knee to his chest and left the other out and twisted it from side to side. "No one besides Heedana, and now you, ahs ever been brave enough to let Etanor enter their mind...let alone myself. They all think I am some sort of stupid drudge that can't think for himself. No one knows about those tapestries being my handi-work..at all..." he laughed again and then sighed. "WHen you first saw me, what was your opinion? Be honest."

((Sweet. Thankies, Lovelost. I'll do ya proud.))

Soria's reaction to hearing how people treated Kaleb was fury. She wanted to walk up to the lot and smack them all. Her second reaction was a feeling of gratitude to Heedana for being such a wonderful person. When her mind wrapped around what Kaleb asked, Soria's face flushed a bright red. While her thoughts had indeed shifted to propriety, Soria didn't want to admit to her full thoughts. Her mind shifted to seeing him in her room, and her admirarition of his looks. Shaking her head, Soria dropped her chin to her chest and stared at Amphitere's little form. "Well, it definitely (with an I, not an A) wasn't bad and then I thought about how men are forbidden to enter a lady's room, but that it must be different here at the Weyr. And after that to me you were a very nice person."

Kaleb smiled as he felt the thoughts of the young woman next to him. He then blushed slightly when she turned to his looks. he didn't think of himself as much of a looker but Heedana had affirmed that he was good-looking when he took care of himself instead of lowering himself to the level of cleaning that the drudges had. "In the Weyr...I wouldn't be surprised of many things Soria. G'sak and Kelissa are in each others weyrs all the time. Most of the time there are female drudges who come to the female weyrs and so on, but Manora found out that I have deft hands so she set me to doing the upper wyers male or female owned. And uh...thanks for saying I was nice...it's not something often heard." he said and looked over at Soria a slight boyish smile tugging at the right corner of his mouth. ((OMG my friend Oliver does that all the time....so cuuutee and sooo annoying!))

I tried to write this any other way and I couldn't stop her from being a school girl with a crush. T.T Kaleb acts too much like my husband.))

Soria had looked back up to study Kaleb's face as he spoke in her mind. She smiled at him when he thanked her, until he smiled at her and Soria felt her brain freeze. A hand flew to her lips in a gasp and she lowered her eyes. The blush she had been trying to get rid of seemed to be permentately coloring her face. She tried desperately to contain her thoughts but found them slipping away from her.How could anyone resist being this man's friend? If he smiled like that to everyone he'd be the Lord in Lemos's Hold Keep by all women's popular demand.

(( blink.gif How so?))

Kaleb blinked at Soria in surprise. "you really think so? To be hones that is not my goal...at all. I mean of course, I'm a guy and yah it would be nice...but personally...one girl for me." he grinned at her again but didn't want to make her blush so he looked down quickly. "Look, I'm not trying to make you blush...I swear I'm not." he said looking at her his eyes portraying his dilemma.

((Just the way he talks and Joe has that little grin and it makes my brain mush. I swear that man does it on purpose. Joe's the sweet shy guy, but he's a, well, Joe's a geek. I'm quoting Joe there. So, Kaleb's not exactly like Joe, but maybe I'm just weird?))

"Honestly it's not your fault. I promise. I'm just having a bit of a girl moment." Soria shook her head and paused, before continuing, "Well, maybe quite a few girl moments. I'll get over it. Well, not the girl part of course, but the moments."

Soria growled at herself for not being clear in her thoughts. She knew that what she was doing. She quick slapped the thought to the back of her mind. She really needed to work on her own mind. Taking a deep breathe Soria tried again. "What I mean is, it's not your fault and I will be fine."

She smiled to Kaleb pleased that she'd been able to put herself in order for the most part. She just hoped he didn't think her completely insane.