LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

((*slaps forhead* I just realised I've been spelling Kaleb wrong.>.>I'll go fix that.))

Soria admired Kaleb's neat writing. She would freely admit to not having the neatest hand-writing in the world. In fact, she was rather sloppy. She did love to read, a fact she owed to her mother.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Kaleb, and your friend as well." Soria grinned at Etanor and Kaleb. "I think, he does a wonderful job, but I do know what you mean. Sometimes words are the only way to truely express somethings. Although, I think the greatest things are the simplest and don't need words."

Soria knew how it felt to be looked down on. Her sister did it all the time. Feygia hated the fact that Soria worked as a stable-handler. She claimed it was unlady-like. Soria had enjoyed the work and made a point of avoiding her sister, but rarely succeeded. Really, her sister's nagging and nit-picking hadn't been worth the headache. "I'm Soria, by the way."

((lol i really hadn't noticed..))

Kaleb looked at Soria. She had said the things that had meant the most to him and the things that he and Heedana had talked about for many a year. He smiled an looked at his hands. Simple... He took his fire lizard down from his perch and watched as he curled up near Kaleb's feet his eyes whirling swiftly with a pleased golden color as he watched the small hatchlings. Kaleb started to write on the paper again.

Soria is a lovely name. What hold are you from? i was born here and raised here at Benden.

He handed her the paper again his eyes seeming to say. "I wish I had met you years ago."

Edited by LoveLost

((Yeah, I noticed when i was reading your post for a referenace while typing the last one.))

As Soria read what Kaleb had wrote, she blushed and offered him a smile. "Thank you. It was my grandmother's name. And I'm from Lemos Hold. I was a stable hand for the watch-whers at m'Lady Famira's Keep. And yourself?"

Soria pulled her lucky stone out of her poket and began to fiddle with it while she looked to Kaleb. She found that even if she had wanted to it would be very hard to dislike the man. She could definitely see why he was Lady Heedana's friend. He was very sweet.

Edited by Mijikoi

((That happens to me too though smile.gif ))

Kaleb thought for a moment and then wrote again.

To have another's name, at least i think so, is i guess in some ways an honor...that's really cool. I only wish I could work with wathc-whers. i had heard that they were really interesting and loyal...as for myself, I worked with runner-beasts for a time to take messages when i was bored. You know the newer tapestries amongst the Weyr? Those are my handiwork. I like doing things with my hands be it art-work, or healing.

He handed her the paper then stroked his bronzes tail while thinking of a song he would never be able to sing.

Edited by LoveLost

((Thanks Odio.))

Vaytith, whom had just woken up and come out on the ledge was not amused with the small blue's antics and pointedly turned away to ignore him. if he wanted to catch her, he'd have to work for it rather than trying to woo her with acrobatics. Xynelth however was far from just not amused. His eyes swirled blood red, and his lips parted to show his teeth. Purposefully he moved in front of Vaytith, wings flared slightly.

((Oh great, writer's block.))

((what about Kelissa and G'sak? lol...this is funny watching blues fight over a green smile.gif ))

"My mother said it was," Soria nodded. "The whers i worked with were wonderful. 'Specially my Tintesk. He was a gem. I do miss them but I was told they're doing fine, so I'm content. I do admit I'm a bit envious of you art work. They looked beautiful. Better then Nana's works, even."

Soria handed Kaleb back the parchment after writing Amphitere and Achronos in the corner of the page to show him how to spell the two names.

Kaleb laughed and wrote back quickly.

You seemed to have read my mind. I was a bit curious as to the spelling. What color was Tintesk and thank you for the compliments. Your one out of over 500 hundred people who know that I do them. Have you seen all of the weyr yet?

He handed back the parchment and scratched a particularly itchy spot on his dear mini-dragon

((Like I said writer's block, I had that scene already thought out last night, I was just kicked off the computer before I could post it. I'll probably come up with something, in the mean time I'm going to re-read through the last posts to see what's happening.

Edit: Thought of something.))

G'sak was about to accept Heedana's offer of going to help with the candidates but a flash of anger from Xynelth made him grimace, "I'd love to help, but Xynelth is really, really annoyed at someone. I'd better go calm him down." And with that he ran off for Kelissa's weyr. Kelissa watched her mate go shaking her head, she could feel her own dragon's annoyance too. "I think some blue is trying to win Vaytith's heart, he'd better be a fast flyer."

Edited by dracodoctorwhofan

((I like your avatar, Draco.))

"My Tintesk was brown. He was the first one we didn't clip the wings of. I pitched a fit to Lady Famira for the previous Stable head's harsh treatment of our whers." Soria looked off toward the ledge. She then shook her head to clear it. "I only told the truth they are gorgeous pieces of work. And no, I've only seen the required areas for me to know. I've been rather wrapped up in Amphitere and Achronos since I got here. So, I spent my free time watching them while they were eggs."

((The one with Hogwarts and the starfleet academy. Oh, and the one with torchwood.))

Talom froze when he heard the Queen's voice. "She just?..." he managed to stutter before he snapped himself out of his awed mood. He took a deep breath before he began to climb onto the Queen's back. Lira came bounding back just in time to see Talom climbing up. She quickly scampered up to him and gazed down proudly at Heedana.

"Sorry," Talom muttered. "She's a proud little creature. Loyal as a Fire Lizard can get, but more proud than the best of them." Lira chirped and gazed up at Talom as if to agree.

((Blue, did you see my picture of a firelizard? A good way to describe them is like mini dragons. They aren't lizards like we would suspect, but actual small flying creatures. Just so I know, have you read any of Anne McCafrey's books?))

((check this site out to get more info on them))

Heedana laughed when she saw the two blues looking over the green Vaytith. She recognized the blues and actually knew their names. Blue Ogrith and Xynelth. "No worries...as long as she obeys the queen fire-lizards around here, she should be just fine." she laughed and clambered up her dragons side with quick grace and settled behind Talom. She gave Tilleth the signal to leap into the air and she did so with grace.

Tilleth flew down the from their weyr and went up higher before diving down to the ground with no indication of pulling up.

Kaleb looked down at the little hatchlings and thought for a moment.

If you want, you can take them around the Weyr with you as I show you around when they wake up. Etanor will enjoy having the company of two young ones to play with when they become larger. *he stopped writing to think for a moment* are you going to be coming down to dinner or do you want me to bring it up here for you? I can get Tilleth to give me a ride up here if she'll allow it. Hardly any dragon will allow another person to ride them without their own rider.

he handed her the paper and lifted his large bronze into his lap.

"I'm certian that they'll enjoy playing with him, too." Soria read over Kaleb's writing puting a finger to her chin. On the one hand, she wasn't sure about her hatchlings and large crowds just yet. On the other she did want to meet new people. Soria's mind drifted back to what F'nor had said about getting a hard time from the other and her eyes widened. Shaking her head, Soria refused to be intimidated. She might dislike arguements but she wouldn't hide from them. "If you don't mind eating with me I'll stay up here, but if not I'll probably go down to the dining hall. And I would love to see more of the Wyer. Maybe it'll be easier to navigate if i see more of it. I have no sense of direction what so ever."

Soria giggled at how easily she became lost. She hoped her little fire lizards had a better sense of direction then she did.

((It's been a few years, but I read about three or four of them and was absolutely obsessed before I found the Foundation series (Isaac Asimov stuff...would never make a good RP unless you knew an insane amount about it) I think I got to Moreta; Dragonlady of Pern before I stopped. Fire Lizards didn't stick to my memory very well. Thanks for the site, though!))

"I bet she will," Talom said as he glared pointedly at Lira. He held on tight as Tilleth leapt into the air. Heedana had been right. The ride was much better than with a blue, and he found himself almost jealous of the lucky candidate girls that had a chance to have a Queen. They could be such graceful creatures. He glanced down at the ground and found he was perfectly comfortable with the height. That is, until Tilleth began to plunge toward the ground.

"Is she going to stop?!" Talom yelped.

((no prob smile.gif ))

Heedana laughed happily as her dragon pulled up only feet above the ground. "She enjoys doing that to frighten the new young men." She said in his ear so that he could hear her. With much deliberaition between dragon and rider, Tilleth landed near Canth and settled down beside the much smaller brown. Heedana made sure F'nor wasn't looking when she lept from her dragons shoulder to land on the ground. She turned back around to see how Talom was doing. "So did my dear sweet love jostle you a bit with that exhilarating plunge?" she said with giddiness. She was only seventeen turns and was still very much a younger woman. Heedana had yet to develop the extreme control that Lessa had even though she longed for it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~~

Kaleb smiled at Soria and wide and thrilled smile. He took the paper with apparent zeal as he wrote down a few words.

Once you spend some more time at the Weyr and see more of it, directions will become a breeze, especially when you become a rider...which I have no doubt that you will. As for dinner, if you'll let me run down the stairs, i can go grab something from the dining hall and bring it back...and if you want, I can do the same for this evening.

He handed her the paper and awaited her answer with anticipation.

Talom relaxed once Tilleth pulled up and actually found himself enjoying the ride. It was exhilirating: the speed, the power, the grace. Somehow it was all better than the boring life in the mines he always thought he was going to be stuck with. Once Tilleth landed, he dismounted reluctantly and managed to stumble on the ground before finding his balance again.

"It'll take some getting used to," he said, "but I loved it!" Lira fluttered down to Talom's shoulder and chirped softly in his ear. She clutched his shoulder tightly, though. "I can't say the same for Lira, though." Hayzef scampered over to Talom then and looked at the Tilleth with wide eyes. Lira chirped loudly at her friend before swooping down to stand beside him.

((I reread the posts with Soria and Kaleb ad I think I made Soria crush on Kaleb.*scratches the back of her head* Not entirely certian how I managed that though.))

Soria watched Kaleb write his words down. She admired his grace and skill at writing. When he handed her the parchment she began reading the words on the parchment. She found that the words made Soria nod happily and she smiled back to Kaleb. "Thank you, I just hope I can be a rider. That does remind me Miss Cleo and I were talking with Lady Heedana about painting signs to help people navigate the halls. And I would be grateful if you did, but I don't want you to have to go out of your way."

((haha! lol!))

((so hayzef just likes walking more than flying rolleyes.gif ))

Heedana smiled. "You'll really enjoy being a rider...not like some of them, " she said her mind going to S'kom, "but like most of them. Have you met F'nor yet?" she asked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kaleb laughed when she said something about out of his way. He motioned to all the rooms as he wrote.

Out of my way? Nothing is out of my way. i am traveling around the Weyr all day from morning till evening. It is not entirely in my way, but I could trade some jobs around so it is.

He handed her the paper and stood up to stretch his long limbs and get ready for a run down those dratted stairs and then back up with a few trays of food.

((Yep, he does. He's kind of freaked out by how large the dragons are and how small he is. He also just likes walking.))

Talom shrugged at Heedana's comment about some other riders. Well, at least he would be okay. He then shook his head. "No, I haven't met him yet." Who was F'nor? Talom guessed he was probably someone important. I really should have listened when I came here instead of gawking at all the new sights Talom thought. Maybe I would understand more of what everyone is talking about if I had just listened.

Soria giggled as she finished reading. He reminded her of her mother just a bit. Feyra was everywhere in the Hold Keep. There was absolutely no where in that Keep her mother couldn't get to in under twenty minutes. She trailed a hand over Amphitere as she looked over to see Kaleb streching. "Okay, as long as it's not to much trouble. I don't want to be a bother."

((I like it...it gives him character smile.gif ))

Heedana smiled and patted Canth on his snout as she walked by him. "Well, F'nor is the Weyrlingmaster for the momenth but he is also the Wyerleader's brother and Wingleader along with K'ton I believe. Anyways, he's over here and it seems that you have missed training and are just in time for the manual labor." she said with a snicker. "F'NOR!" she called above the weyrlings' heads.

F'nor's head popped up from where he was and walked over to Heedana a grim smile on his face. he bowed slightly condescendingly to the young queen rider. "Yes m'Lady?" he asked her with a definite playful twinkle in his brown eyes.

Heedana rolled her own yellow eyes and then looked hard at the older brown rider. "We have a new one for you. I think he was another one by S'kom or maybe even G'sak...I have no idea. But F;nor this is Talom...Talom this is F'nor Weyrlingmaster and Wingleader."

F'nor looked at Talom and a smile spread over his face. "Hello there Talom."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*

Kaleb mouthed the words "no problem, I'll be right back." and he dashed down the hall to the food rooms. He quickly maneuvered around all the other drudges and personas as he made his way to the cooked food. he grabbed a few meatrolls, fruits and a few glasses with a skin of water and one of wine in case she enjoyed Benden wine more than water. On his way back up he thought of how kind she was to him unlike many of the prospective queen riders.

He made it back up to Soria's weyr and set three settings for them since Cleo was still there. He soon had the meal with all it's decrations and linens set and he still had not started to breath hard in any way. He sat back down next to Soria and waited.

Edited by LoveLost

When Kaleb left the room, Soria looked down to see Ampitere rearanging herself. "Daling you are too cute for words."

She leaned over and pressed a light kiss to both Achronos and Amphitere's heads. The two really did make her happy and made the trip worth it even if she didn't Impress a dragon. She snuck a peek at Cleo to see how the other woman was doing. Cleo seemed okay to Soria, so Soria looked back to the door.

He's a sweet man, I think. Soria thought to herself when Kaleb return. She watched him set up the food with a smile and offered her thanks. "I really do appreciate this, Kaleb. It's very kind of you."

Kaleb made a slight "No problem" gesture as he waited for her to break the bread as was tradition in the weyr. he didn't know if she knew and if she didn't, he would tell her.