LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

"Thank you muchly, m'Lady Heedana, have a pleasant breakfast. You as well, Miss Yenay, Miss Huzah, MissTricky. Miss Cleo and I will wait for you, if Miss Cleo doesn't mind my company." Soria gave Heedana a curtsy and a smile to Cleo and Heedana. Soria waited a moment before filling a plate with roasted wherry and collecting a cup of Klah. Quietly waiting a moment before sitting down. As it was she had no idea what to feed Tricky if tricky was hungry, so Soria added a few fruits to her plate. She also made sure to leave an opening for Tricky, should the dragonet decide to eat with her. Soria sipped at the Klah and sighed in pleasure at the hot drink. Making sure to pay attention to Tricky, Soria couldn't stop herself from cooing over the green female between swallows of food.

After a bit Soria let her mind wander back to her watch-wehrs and how they were with their new handlers. She missed the wehrs greatly, but this new oprotunity had been just too great to pass up. Soria knew the wehrs would adjust without her with how many different handlers they had, but Soria hadn't lied about how much time she spent with her little wehr family. Especially, Tintesk had been her favored friend amoung the watch-wehrs. Shaking off the saddened thoughts, Soria finished off her Klah and went back to cooing over Tricky and eating.

Do not worry about your friends little one. They are fine with their new handlers but keep their loyalty to you. I had explained to them why you were going when you arrived and I heard your story. Said a soft and sweet voice inside of Soria's head.

Tricky chirped at Heedana who nodded her head in an affirmative to the little greens question. Tricky settled herself beside Soria's plate and awaited to be fed her wherry while the other candidates around Soria whispered in envy about her being allowed to hold the Weyrwoman's pet.

With a quick, decisive, and threatening glance at the Candidate table, Heedana silenced most of the whisperers..

Do not worry about your friends little one. They are fine with their new handlers but keep their loyalty to you. I had explained to them why you were going when you arrived and I heard your story.

Soria nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard the a voice in her head. She hadn't expected it, but she was pleased that her old friends would be fine. The poor wehrs were her family, Soria did agree she would always be loyal to the wehrs and she hoped thathaving their loyalty meant they still thought of her as a friend. Deciding not to let it bother her, because it didn't matter, tbhey were her friends and they were content. Not certian if she would be heard, Soria replied with a thank you, both in her head and aloud.

Picking up a medium size piece of wherry, Soria offered it to Tricky when she noticed Tricky wasn't taking it from her plate. As she offered wherry to Tricky, she ate a piece of fruits until she herself was full and decided to take some extra wherry back to her room for when the eggs hatched. Offering Tricky another piece of wherry, Soria whispered to the dragonet, "You're a very pretty green, Miss Tricky. I hope I do well, for my broze and green. I decided on their names thankes to you, Miss Tricky.

((Sorry, but it'll drive me nuts if you keep misspelling whers. I'll try not to be too much of a spelling-Nazi, because I know I make mistakes sometimes, but remember your backspace key.))

Cleo got her food from the line, and also asked for some raw wherry cubes for her fire-lizard. Managing fairly well to balance plate, bowl, and cup in two hands, the tall girl made her way back to Soria and Heedana. As soon as she settled down, Isis jumped to the table and assumed her begging/feeding position: sitting up straight on her haunches facing Cleo squarely, with tail wrapped around her legs and wings folded neatly. Cleo fed her little queen, withholding tidbits whenever Isis got too snappy.

Cleo looked up at the other two women. "They can be hard to train to this, but it's certainly worth it." Isis chirped at her, demanding that she go back to presenting tasty tidbits to be gobbled.

Heedana laughed at Tricky when she would chirp angrily at Soria for withholding her food and then she laughed at Cleo's comment. "To that i will agree to." she said and patted Huzah's small head. She had been feeding her two constantly as she tried to drink some klah. "By the way, Soria, Tilleth tells me that you worry about your friends yes? Well, I know we have dragons here, but if you want...in fact if either of you want, " she said including Cleo, "I would be more than willing to get a few watch whers set at the tunnel down below the main bowl and you two could take care of them...or maybe some Runners." she said wanting to treat the only two interesting gold prospectees that she had met and actually liked and wouldn't mind having as Weyrwomen.

Tricky crooned in delight once she was fed properly and she settled on laying down next to Soria's plate until it was time to get up.

Once Isis was finally sated, she climbed back up to curl around Cleo's neck to sleep. Cleo herself could begin eating. She thought about Heedana's proposal. "Hmm. Runners aren't going to very happy at all anywhere in the weyr. Not unless they've been thoroughly desensitized to the scent of dragons." Her gaze went up to the ceiling as she stroked Isis's tail in thought. "I'd be rather wary of getting watch-whers just for us to take care of. I've heard they bond pretty closely to their handlers, and we'll soon find ourselves at the beck and call of young dragons, God willing." Cleo tapped her knuckles on the wooden table. "Would you agree with me, Soria?"

((Sorry, about that. All the sites that I found spelled whers that way.>.> And I haven't been able to find my Dragonflight book. But I'm going to the bookstore on friday so I can get a couple more Pern books. ^.^))

"Yes, that's true on both accounts. I love the whers at Lemos Hold, but I don't think I'd have time for them until a bit later." Soria nodded agreeing with Cleo, offered another piece of wherry from her plate to Tricky. Recalling the whers back home, Soria giggled at the thought of Tintesk trying to play with a dragon. "But maybe after we adjust to hatchlings? I helped with the runners back home but not overly much. So, I'll trust Cleo on that note."

Heedana smiled. They were doing what she had expected. Debating. "I am very proud of you two. Many young women your age would leap for joy at the prospect of something familiar to them but you are considering the effects it will have on the dragons, yourselves and the animals themselves." she finished her meal and soon everyone stood up. "Alright then everyone, you know your positions. Weyrlings are to be cleaning the Bowl today of any left overs," a ground was heard throughout the grounds. "and then Candidates are to start training with our newest Weyrlingmaster, Wingleader F'nor." A cheer went up as F'nor stood with a blush on his handsome face.

Cleo glanced at Soria. Were they supposed to report to Wingleader F'nor now for training? Or would there be time enough for her to help with Soria's fire-lizard hatchlings. That the junior weyrwoman had drawn the entire Hall's attention to their table made the Candidate somewhat uncomfortable, although it was hard for anyone other than Isis to tell. The young queen fire-lizard roused slightly to trill at her human and rub her cheek with her head. Cleo continued eating while keeping Heedana and Soria in her peripheral vision.

Soria wanted to duck her head when she noticed all the attention directed at their table. Instead she went with her gut and mimicked Cleo by continuing to eat, although her shoulders were more hunched then usual. She also made sure to offer Tricky more wherry to help calm her nerves. Soria did worry that if they had to attend training with F'nor, she would miss the fire lizards hatching.

She did realise that she didn't have much choice beyond doing as told. It would sadden her a lot if she didn't Impress her little green and bronze, but Soria wouldn't misplace her duty to what she hoped to one day call her home. Gathering her courage, Soria hoped that Heedana would understand her worry and not be upset with her for asking her next question. "Do you want Cleo and I to go as well or wait here, m'Lady?"

Heedana motioned for Soria to wait a moment and for Cleo to as well while everyone cleared out of the building. "Ah F'nor!" she called and touched his shoulder gently.

F'nor turned and smiled brightly at her. "Yes?"

"I want you too make sure that you walk extra slow to the bowl. Soria here wants to check on her eggs and make sure that they are alright. If they hatch today...I expect that she will be released yes?" Heedana said daringly and somewhat impudently to F'nor.

F'nor's eyes twinkled and he looked over at the two Candidates. "I am sure that they will be fine...and don't worry if some of the other Candidates give you two a hard time because you seem to be Lady Heedana's favorites...it takes a lot to be her favorite." he said casting a glance at Heedana's reddening face

"Why you! Get going toyour class Wingleader!" she shouted and kicked after him as he sprinted across the hall with laughter. "That man irks me sometimes." she sighed while trying not to laugh as she turned to the Candidates. "Alright you two...how about we head up to Soria's room?"

Soria hide a smile behind her hands as she watched the exchange between F'nor and Heedana. She was glad to hear that she was liked, but she didn't think she was one of Heedana's favorites. Cleo, definitely (with an I, not an A). Herself not so much. She did pause a moment at the mention of getting a hard time from others, then decided it would be worth it.Heedana and Cleo are good people and if being their friend means getting picked on, I can handle it. If I can handle Feggia and her friends without fighting, fellow candidates shouldn't be much more trouble.

Soria grinned and hugged Cleo in her excitment at the mention of checking on her hatchlings. She nodded eargly before freezing. Giving the other two women a bashful look, Soria scratched the back of her neck and giggled nevously. "Ahm. That would be wonderful and great, but I have no idea where my room is now."

(huh? I not A?)

Heedana frowned when she saw the indecision in Soria's eyes. "We will find your room, but what are you not so sure about?" she asked as she pushed the two of them in front of her to the main hall where she would set them all on Tilleth and they would leap up to her Weyr where it would be easier to find Soria's room.

((Maybe she misspelled it in her original post, but some sort of spell checker caught it. Sort of like a lot is often followed with "two words not one" in parenthesis.))

Cleo blinked at being hugged, but permitted it. Isis chirped sleepily at the other girl's head so suddenly close. Cleo looked around. "I can at least tell we're not headed back the way we came, but this place is kinda hard to figure out. It'd be a lot easier if they'd mark the corridors. Name them, sort of." She shook her head. "The halls all look the same."

((Sorry, some words bungle my brain.>.< I'll try to keep a closer eye on that.))

"It's nothing, truely. Just being myself." Soria mummered, shaking her head. Soria kept an eye out for anything to help her navigateas she walked where Heedana guided. She was a bit frustrated at how easily she got lost no matter where she was. After thinking a moment, Soria looked to Cleo and added her opinion, "Maybe they'd let us paint signs on the walls? Oh, or give us a map."

((You know, after Soria's fire-lizards hatch, the RP could jump to the point where Ramoth's eggs are hatching. Anybody else that signs up could just take control of one of the new Wyrmlings.))

Cleo cocked her head to one side. "Painting the walls might work. Or at least making little signposts at the intersections. Having a map would only work if you had a good memory for turns you've made, or if you could always tell where north was." She flapped a hand in dismissal. "I certainly can't. I'd need some sort of known thoroughfare. The Food Hall might work for orientation, if I didn't get turned around well before I reached it."

She eyed an intersection they passed. She could almost see signposts in her imagination, and she began to warm up to the idea. "We could make it a project for the older Wyrmlings and kids to make the signs. And there could be a Weyr-wide hall-naming competition." She paused again, thinking. "Or maybe we could limit it to the younger kids to name the halls; have them use it to brush up on their history . . ." The Candidate trailed off, her eyes focused on possibilities. With a shake, she came back to the present, eyes snapping to first Soria, the around to Heedana. "What do you two think? Is it a good idea? At all doable?"

Edited by Ramoth

Soria put a finger to her lips to focus and see if there was anything she could add. She did agree about what would happen if they got maps. However, it still fell back to sign posts to solve that problem. Which meant finding out a way everyone, especially the Weyrleaders to agree. Soria nodded in agreement, "Count me in. I'll help either way. Of course, you could also arrange a volunteer setup,too. That way people who don't have time or the desire to help don't have to, right?"

Chewing on a fingernail, Soria waited with Cleo for Heedana to respond. I really do like this Weyr. It's been a lot of fun being here.

Edited by Mijikoi

Heedana thought for a moment as she called Tilleth to her. "I honestly think that it wouldn't be a bad idea. it would more than likely make my life easier then having to remember where to go." she grinned as the air seemed to pulsate with the beating of her massive dragons wings. Tilleth landed neatly beside on her back legs with her wings outstretched before she landed completely and folded her wings against her back.

The little ones have a good idea. Canth agrees. She said smugly in her riders mind.

"Well you have the approval of not only myself but of two of the dragons." Heedana said with slight contempt

((oh okay...that makes sense then.))

(your idea sounds good Ramoth...I think I will put that into play.))

Cleo was thoroughly side-tracked by the arrival of the queen. She turned towards her, leaning into the draft of the dragon's wingbeats. Her eyes opened when the wind died, and she watched avidly as the wings folded over themselves. Maybe she would get to help with healing dragons scored by Thread. Their structure, and how their muscles moved fascinated her. Isis was happy to prance about for Cleo to analyze the motion of wing, legs, tail, and their interaction. Or at least, when she wasn't sleeping or hungry.

Again, Cleo had to shake herself out of contemplation. "So, who would we talk to next about it?" she asked Heedana.

Heedana motioned for them to come closer so she could hoist them onto her lovely darlings back as she spoke. "Well, as far as I know, I think it would be F'nor, F'lar, Lessa, and all the Wingleaders. But for now, you just need to talk to me, and you already have so therefore, you can put it into play. I'll talk to F'nor and see if he can rally up some of the Weyrlings to help you." she held climbed atop Tilleth and held her hand down for the other two. They would have to learn to mount easily before they became riders. "Cummon now you two. Don't be shy, you can't hurt my dear Tilleth here."

Cleo bowed to Tilleth before climbing up behind Heedana. A slight blush rose in her cheeks as she clambered, knowing that she wasn't doing it at all gracefully. She settled herself between ridges and reached up to stroke Isis. The gold fire-lizard whistled and rubbed her face against Cleo's, but leaped off to fly with Yenay, Tricky, and Huzah.

Yenay trilled a warm welcome to Isis and then flew about Tilleth making the youngish dragon laugh. Tricky released herself from Soria and lept into the air to follow her friends.

Heedana smiled at Cleo. "Do not worry at all. You'll get used to it. Why do you think I am having you ride her?" she asked with a smirk.

((Sorry, for being gone for the weekend, but we were celebrating my baby sister's 18th birthday.))

Soria stared in fascination at Tilleth. Truth be told, she felt a bit intimidated by the gold dragon, but not in the way she had anticipated. She was in no way afraid of Tilleth, but if a dragon could look so grand, how in the world was she going to Impress a dragon? Soria knew that not all dragons looked as awe-striking a gold, but it did little to ease her thoughts. She’s such a gorgeous dragon, at that. Feygia would loved to have met her.

Shaking her head, Soria followed Cleo’s example and bowed to Tilleth. She was glad to be on somewhat familiar grounds. Royalty, Soria could handle. She did her best to climb up behind Cleo without falling and was pleased she managed. As soon as Soria was close enough, she settled on Tilleth behind Cleo. Soria giggled to herself in pleasure at being on a dragon’s back. It was a joyous experience for the sable-handler. Soria beamed happily at Heedana, Cleo, and the fire Lizards, as well as Tilleth. "Thank you for helping me. I really do appreciate it."

Heedana blushed slightly. Not many would even look at her let alone say thank you. To be honest, she was much like Cleo and Soria put together but she had had to put all that back when she became a Junior Weyrwoman. "Soria, Cleo, I want to give both of you the best chance that you can have like I was given. You two will make great Weyrwomen unlike most of the others...all those sniveling Holdbrats." she said then laughed because she remembered being around all the holdbrats in her group...they were fiercely annoying.

Tilleth rumbled deep in her chest a symbol of laughter while reveling with her beloved rider. Canth says that F'nor is wondering when you will be done with the only two worthy queen riders? he want's to get them in the air and used to dragons.

Heedana turned a brighter red as her dragon hit her only soft spot. "You can tell him that they are riding you for the moment so he can wait." There was a moment and then Tilleth turned her head to Heedana her eyes whirling slowly with a reddish tinge. He is coming.

F'nor's figure could be seen crossing the bowl with a waddling Canth beside him whose eyes were whirling bluely with worry at what the Queen and Queen rider would do.

Soria smiled brightly at Heedana. If Heedana believed she could do it, Soria would try to believe it, too. Soria peered at where she could see F'ner and Canth walking. Hm. I wonder what that's about?

Nervously, Soria re-did her hair ribbon's bow. She knew she shouldn't be in trouble for not attending that mornings activities on Heedana's word. So, Soria was left to wonder what F'nor and his brown needed. Maybe, they need Lady Heedana?