LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

Ah. If there was then fair enough, as I said it's been a while. But I do remember the first queens trying to chew firestone and then going up with flamethrowers instead when they couldn't. Then later on they decided that it would be simpler to spread the story that chewing firestone would make queens sterile rather than being unable of chewing it.

That is an entirely new thing to me...would you happen to have the Pern Lovers Guide to Pern?

I looked it up on Wiki and apparently it's true. I've seen it on other Pern sites as well. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be considered to make a canon Pern RP, isn't there? Well, I've given everything I can too this RPs production. *Sits patiently waiting for it to start*

lets not use cannon please! Not anything against ya'll at all... just bad memories with that word biggrin.gif

If I find a brown weyrleader, I'll be sure and tell you Kjakings smile.gif But if I don't I will be sure and PM you an apology smile.gif

It's not that much of a big deal. It's an official grey area where opinions are as valid as everything else.

Well said. cool.gif

Quick Q, do you guys think that there are enough terms on there? I wasn't sure about what all to put...can you think of anything else?

Edited by LoveLost

Hmmm

*reads list* happy.gif

It seems like a pretty comprehensive list. There's a whole ton of stuff but I don't know if you need it all in the glossary (like caravans and tithes and crafthalls and all that). I'm kind of getting excited about this one. So were you gonna play with Lessa and F'lar as the weyrleaders?

Well, i was thinking that if there were people who had a good grasp of who they were...like I might have draco play Lessa cause it seems she would do a good job of it...and Kjakings, I see that he has the same firm personality of F'lar soooo maybe they would play them...cause I was thinking of playing Manora.....I dunno...More than likely Manora and F'nor.... it's still up in the air.

Do you think I should take those things out? I thought it might make it easier for the newbs to understand what the seniors are talking about....I dunno...whadaya think?

Edited by LoveLost

I think it's fine keeping the terms in, it's useful. Ooh, playing as Lessa? I'll have to reread the first few books to remember what she's like.

Lessa's personality changes considerably in the number of 9th pass books that don't focus on her. I was never happy about that, and I prefer pre-Dragonsong lessa to post-Dragonsong.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I felt it needed mentioning.

You never changed the 600 years thing. If threadfall is every 250 years and this is the ninth pass then it's 2250 years. Plus the few years after landing but pre-threadfall and taking into consideration various early and late falls, it's about 2275 A.L.

Nor did you change the Weyrwomen thing, or glows.

Nor the Holds.

Edited by Kjakings

There were never so many Weyrwomen in a weyr at once.

Glows are actually small worms (imaginatively called glowworms) put inside the glass (or some other glear material) balls.

Yes there were. There were enough for an entire flight. At least that is what T'bor says in the book Dragonflight.

And about the glows, I had no idea. Cause I remember from Todd (I think thats his name) McCafrey wrote his book with Fiona in it, it talks about finding "glows" around moist areas...I didn't think that they were worms.

And sorry about ignoring it....I honestly didn't mean to...forgive me?

I believe there's 5 Gold dragons in Fort Weyr during Moreta's time. At least that's the amount I can remember.

Edited by dracodoctorwhofan

A Flight is what you call all the Wings of a Weyr together, I think. And are you sure he didn't mean all of the Queens on Pern? Because that's a LOT of Queens.

Just getting into the series, but I'm tentatively considering this. If you could PM me once you get this hammered out, and are willing to put up with someone who's just finishing the first book but is definitely going to be getting more of them, I'd be glad to join you. I could probably pull off a few candidates, if that won't be a problem. I promise I can write. I'll see if I can't doodle up a character or two in the meantime, since the changes don't seem to be anything that'll hamper me overmuch on that scale.

hun there ain't no reason to worry about that. I will definitely Pm you once things are figured out and we'll have you signed up as a Candidate or maybe even a Rider. biggrin.gif

@Kjakings: Yah I am sure. He specifically said (not all the correct words but about like that)... "What do you mean you don't let your queens fly?"

"You mean you let yours fly during thread?"

"Of course we do. At Fort we have an entire wing! Besides, how could we stop them?"

Edited by LoveLost

Pern RP. Awesome. Can't wait. Barely refraining from squee-ing.

Anyway, I've read all, or nearly all the Pern books. Todd may have come out with one or two I haven't gotten around to yet. Everything in the original post looks right. Except maybe the date, should be well over two thousand years, what with nine passes and those two Long Intervals (when Ruth led dragons into the past to blast the Red Star).

Are you going to take The White Dragon as set in stone as well? That's when they discover AIVAS (I think) and set the whole going-back-in-time thing in motion.

And @ the person that was just getting into the Pern series, you might want to think about if you want to read the books in chronological order or publishing order. Chronologically you'd start with Dragonsdawn and by publication date you'd start with Dragonflight.

Uh...this is right after Lessa comes back from bringing all five Weyrs forward. Mind you i haven't read the entire series (sadness!) but I am currently trying to buy all of them as soon as we can get back to a book store. I can change the date and the thing with Jaxom hasn't happened yet at least in this time setting.

Oh and i love your username smile.gif

@Kjakings: Yah I am sure. He specifically said (not all the correct words but about like that)... "What do you mean you don't let your queens fly?"

"You mean you let yours fly during thread?"

"Of course we do. At Fort we have an entire wing! Besides, how could we stop them?"

He was referring to a Queen's Wing. That's just three or four queens doing low passes and taking out any stragglers. It's only three because in 2300 2700 years they've got the whole threadfall thing figured out pretty well.

I forgot the Long Intervals! Holy smeg. That's 2700 years. *goes to edit above post*

smeg?

Okay...I understand that now and it makes a lot more sense. Thanks Kjakings smile.gif

I'm currently going Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and presumably The White Dragon. I don't know where I'll go after that, but dad has some of the series. I suppose I'll flail at that later, though. :3

You should try the Dragonsinger trilogy (!!!)

That's what I started with. Menolly is my dawg.

Um, trying to stay on topic here....

Uh.... everything seems good to me.... lol

Edited by Odio