LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

((Yay, Lovelost is back. Hiya, Lovelost.))

Am I in trouble for something, Atisith? Soria blinked owlishly at K'leb when he set her down. A part of her hoped that he hadn't caught her slip about Atisith playing matchmaker. Atisith's laughter revibrated through her mind at the thought. With a shake of her head, Soria twisted her fingers into her shirt as she watched K'leb. Soria whisperd so the others couldn't hear her talk to K'leb, "Did I say something wrong, K'leb? I made sure not to say anything about what you told Cleo and I earlier. I didn't think anyone should know if only Lad-, I mean, Heedana knew."

((heya!))

K'leb looked her in the eyes and a massive smile spread across his face.

She seems really sweet K'leb, quit torturing her. Your making her think she did something wrong. Came the dragon voice of Lessa's dragon Ramoth.

K'leb awaited Sorai's reaction to the voice. he had heard what Atisith had said that wasn't a problem because he did like Soria. "Did you just hear her?" he asked watching her face closely. While watching her, he saw something that he hadn't seen before. She was actually quite stunning.

It is okay to tell him, right? Atisith? I mean, he told me about him.

I see no reason not to. Soria bit her lip in her nervousness. She had heard but after so long of ignoring them, it was hard for her to hear. Before, she'd thought of herself as crazy for hearing voices that weren't her own in her head, but then she'd come hear and a dragon head managed to catch her attention and explain she was a dragon and not imaginary. "You mean the Tickle-thought? I heard her. But, K'leb, who did she think you were torturing and who is sweet?"

K'leb laughed lightly at what Soria called a Tickle-thought. "That's a new one. Don't ignore those voices...they are dragons, as I am sure you know. That was Lessa's dragon Ramoth...and she was talking about you and admonishing me." he snickered. "Each dragon has their own voice and you'll learn to recognize them." he seemed really excited and was so unable to contain his excitement that he reached out and picked her up in his strong tanned arms in a kind hug. In the background, Hethath could be heard bugling happily. "I can't believe this..."

"So, I'm not imagining the voices most of the time? And I'm not sweet. I'm normal." Soria was still looking at K'leb with wide eyes from the hug. She was pleased she hadn't done anything wrong but was curious still as to why everyone thought speaking to all dragons was a surprising thing. If she could do it, shouldn't everyone else supposed to be able to? Her expression lit up as a thought ccurred to her. "So, I'll be able to meet them all at some point?

K'leb laughed. "you can hear the voices like Lessa and i can because you have high brain activity which allows you a higher amount of telepathic ability. He sat her down from the hug and placed his hands on her shoulders.

You are one of the sweetest that I have met. My daughter chose you therefore you ARE sweet. Came the smooth slightly deep voice of Ramoth.

K'leb blushed and looked Soria in the eyes his own tinkling fiercely. "You are one of the sweetest I have ever met Soria." he looked down at the ground blocking out the laughter of Hethath as he tried to prod K'leb to kiss Soria. "You will eventually meet all of the dragons and know each rider by name since someday you will help Lessa and Heedana in their duties." he said softly knowing that curcumstances could bring them closer together than he had ever dreamed, or keep them as they were, or even drive them apart.

Soria listened K'leb explained why she heard the dragons and flushed bright red when both he and Ramoth told her she was sweet. She wasn't quite sure how to take the complement. The two seemed to actually mean it, unlike the flirtatious boys from Lemos. Okay, that's it I'm just going to have to live with a permanent blush for the rest of my life.

The thought gave Atisith another laugh. Atisith was still laughing in Soria's mind, claiming her rider needed to seize the moment. She quietly chasitised the young gold, telling Atisith that it wasn't that easy with a fond grin. She gave K'leb a shy grin while she tried to fight down the blush."I'll just take you and Lady Ramoth at your words as far as me being sweet, then. And that's a lot of people and dragons to meet. Oh, but I shouldn't complain. Poor Miss Cleo. She has to go through the name learning with me?"

G'ty stayed outside with his dragon Lucath. He sat down on a stumpy boulder of a seat, and slung an arm around his dragon, waiting for them to wheel the food out. He tried not to look over in K'leb and Soria's direction - he could tell they were having an intimate moment, it made him want to blush. He looked at Cleo instead. Her dragon was about the same size as his now, but she was going to be much much bigger. He smiled. "Are you excited to be a queenrider?" he asked politely in his squeaky voice.

Elna's brown Eccos dove down on a slab of meat like a wild animal. She had placed it on a plate on the floor, and was sipping her own cup of klah, leaning against the wall near T'lom. Seeing Soria and K'leb was making her feel romantic. "I've never been to a mine," she said. "Is it very hard work? I'm from the fishing folk, down south at Half-Circle. It was pretty hard work, but I loved it." She smiled, remembering the open ocean.

S'kom entered the dining cavern, his riding gloves held in his hand. His blue dragon, Ogrith, was in a temporary weyr on the ground floor, sleeping off his wounds. S'kom grabbed a meatroll and took a seat across from Heedana. "Heedana, Zee" he said, nodding at the women. "Something's wrong, I can tell." He was always abrupt and tactless, but at least he was being compassionate, for once.

J'eb was in the kitchens, and he poked his head through a window. He smiled to see that everybody was enjoying their selected food of choice.

T'lom's face hardened. He remained silent for a moment before he finally spoke. "It's very hard work. No sunlight, and you're paid on based on how much stone you mine. Fights were often, not to mention cave-ins." T'lom's expression softened a little. "But you learn to get through it, I guess. I mean, how else are you going to make it through life if you don't have that light at the end of the tunnel to look forward to?" T'lom smiled awkwardly before covering it up by sipping his klah again. He was definitely glad he wasn't in the mines anymore. Life was so much better now. He finally asked Elna, "So what's so great about fishing anyway?" He wanted to get off the topic of mining. He quickly shoved the memory of his father's death away.

Elna's brow creased. She hadn't meant to upset T'lom... She could tell he was very much bothered by her question, and the memories. She took the hint when he changed the subject.

"Well," she said, "it's a simple life. There are things to learn, but once you've got it down, it's just you and your family and the ocean." A smile was on her face. "I'm going to miss Half-Circle. But it seems like this place has a strong community too." She felt Koulcth pressing on her mind with comfort and love.

Cleo had been feeding Isis, who was sitting in her begging position, sitting up straight with her tail curved around her body and her wings furled close, when G'ty asked her about being excited. She thought for a moment, and Neith purred in her mind, then looked at him and smiled. "I'm about as excited to be a queenrider as you are to be a bluerider," she replied. "Though I worry some about the agenothree tanks, and working the flamethrower during Threadfall."

K'leb smiled and stepped back motioning for her to take up a spot next to him on their walk to the kitchens. "Well it's not only their jobs but their mates also because he would be Weyrleader." he said trying to cover his own blush. "But yes, she will have to learn all the names also, but the dragons usually help with that." he said with a light laugh.

Ezran sat down in a corner spot while watching everyone around her and smiling at those that came to near to suffer the wrath of her blue dear heart. She looked up in time to catch J'ebs smile of triumph and she laughed lightly to herself. When those that were concerned as to her wound, she would calm Jerome with a piece of meat and answer them directly and respectfully, but for those that wished her congrats on her dragon, she would let the defensive blue scare them off. Why won't you let people talk about me? I am gorgeous aren't I? came the pitiful voice of Jubilath. Ezran snickered slightly at her dragons voice. Oh don't you dare even talk that way. You are the most beautiful green I have ever seen and even Jerome likes you. Besides, I want to keep you to myself.

Zee looked at S'kom with wide eyes. She had never heard a single kind word from the man and hardly ever a compassionate phrase. With a muffled laugh she stood up to get some more rolls since that seemed to be the only thing that Heedana would pick at.

Heedana looked up at S'kom surprise showing clearly on her saddened face. "It's that obvious eh?" she asked him with a slight hint of joviality in her voice. "Tilleth is to rise soon..." she said thinking that he would understand, but then again, not many people understood her wishes or respected them for that matter. In fact, not even Lessa knew that the young queen rider had yet to sleep with a man and that she didn't wish to until the time was right for her own self.

Soria looked at K'leb in startlement. Mates? Why didn't she recall anyone talking about mates? She knew that the dragons had to rise to mate, especially the Queens. She wandered how that would work. She was pleased to hear that Atisith would help her, but the dragon was a bit busy laughing at Soria to help. Atisith assured Soria she meant no harm, but Soria was quite amusing. Soria's face was still red, but she gave K'leb an innocent expression as she asked him her next question. "Um, does that mean we'll mate with the rider of the queens mate with? I don't mean to be perverse, but that is a bit worrysome."

T'lom ran out of klah to sip, and he was running out of excuses for him to be quiet. Can you forget wallowing in your pathetic past and realize that these people aren't going to hurt you? Seriously, being quiet isn't going to help, and I thought you were a nice person. Get out of your silly thinking episode before I have to send Hayzef wailing at you. T'lom shook his head as he realized he had been staring into space while Feyth had been berating him. He had barely heard what Elna had been saying. Well, at least she liked her childhood. "It must have been nice," he sighed. Snap out of it! T'lom nearly jumped at the sharpness of Feyth's voice in his head. He quickly obeyed with a small smile. That's better. Knock it off....

Edited by BlueApollo

Cleo finished off her food and shook her head, tossing her hair back over her shoulders. She hid a yawn behind one fist and stretched her shoulders. She was finally starting to crash from the Impression high, just like when she Impressed little Isis, who was already sleeping around Cleo's shoulders. Cleo stood, taking her dishes back to the kitchens to be cleaned. "I'm gonna head back to the barracks, now. I'm wiped out," she announced to the group. Cleo got just outside the door before she stopped in surprise. "Wait . . . I remember the way back . . . I actually know where I am!" I wouldn't let my rider get lost in her own home, now would I? came the voice of Neith into her mind. Cleo could only respond with a relatively weak thought, Nifty trick, Neith. Very handy . . .

Ramoth gently brushed both of their minds along with Hethath and sent images of peaceful things to try and calm them both.

K'leb gulped slightly and fiddled with the leather thong that held his slightly long blond hair back. "Well...uhm..." you knew this would come K'leb. Take a deep breath and tell her the truth. He looked at Soria his face slightly flushed. "It's kinda like a firelizard flight. But I have been to so many flights that I guess you can say that I know how it is... When the queen rises to mate, all the bronzes and browns tend to try and fly after her. The thing is, the rider can control her dragon to a point but the strongest male gets the queen. Because of the connection between riders they feel the dragons passion and even then other people feel it also because it overflows to everyone. Lessa almost fainted when Ramoth and Menementh mated because their passions was so powerful. So when Atisith rises to mate when she matures at the end of 18mths...you will become mates with the rider of the dragon she chooses." he said wanting to be slightly vague and not vague to the point of where she wouldn't get it.

Ezran waved farewell to Cleo and felt herself starting to fall asleep where she was sitting. The warmth of Jerome on her shoulders really didn't help much and she was soon asleep with her head on her tanned forearms.

Despite Ramoth's calming prescence, Soria felt fear twist her stomache and her face pale. Her hand flew to cover her mouth as she thought of what that could mean for her. Atisith could be flown by any bronze or brown and that thought terrified her. She'd know it was a possibility she'd feel the effects of Atisith's urge to mate, but the thought of what that meant hadn't truely occured to her.Closing her eyes Soria took a deep breath and forced her self to calm down. There was no sense in panicking now over what would happen in 18 months. Besides it might turn out alright and your worry would be for nothing, Soria.

"Ah, I see." Soria spoke up weakly when she'd managed to gather her wits about her again. "I suppose I should have anticipated that."

K'leb was still blushing and he seemed quite nervous now that the subject was out. "It's hard to take in...i know. Hethath seems intent on rubbing in the fact that well..." he laughed gently and then kept walking slowly to the kitchen each footstep deliberate and stately. Etanor crooned in his rider's ear as his eyes whirled a hungry red.

Soria giggled at K'leb. She was grateful for the new knowledge but more so that she didn't really have to worry to much just yet. She giggled again when she felt the playing fire lizards tickle against her side. "Best not to let him join forces with Atisith. She might decide to help him. Or worse he'll help her."

Hethath could be heard snickering and then he said something quite surprising to Atisith. When we are older, would you allow me to mate with you Atisith? The question wasn't exactly innocent, but it was honest. he knew that the question would make his rider blush, but he wanted to know.

K'leb paled and then looked nervously at Soria outof the corner of his eye knowing that they couldn't help it if their dragons decided to mate but he wanted to know what she thought about it. "I think I'm a little late in that."

Zee looked around at the younglings that were there while she was getting the rolls. her heart sunk at the prospect that she had never had any children whatsoever and longed to have them.

Soria's face went bright red again and her eyes went wide, but when she thought her face couldn't get redder Atisith replied. Especially when the queen couldn't resist teasing just a bit. Atisith was already fond of K'leb because of her rider and his Hethath. When you catch me, I'll let you know.

Soria squeaked and flushed a deeper red in reponse to Atisith's comment. To Soria, were Atisith a human in Lemos she'd have accepted his courtship with that comment. Soria, herself, was caught between the joy of it being K'leb whom she might be with and mortification at how foreward the dragons were. Taking a page from Atisith's book, Soria found herself imitating her mother when she talked with her father. She'd lowered her head just enough that she had to peek through her eyelashes to see K'leb. "Ma-mannerisms are very different here, as opposed to the Keep. I mean, yes, a mite bit late. But I bare no complaints if that does not offend you."

Edited by Mijikoi

K'leb's heart skipped a beat when he hear what Soria had said and he smiled brightly to show his joy in it. "Offend me? Dear Soria, how could it?" he asked her gently and looked back at her his dragon blue eyes sparkling.

Hethath laughed. Then in 18 months, you'll have a great time. He said then suddenly felt quite hungry. K'leb go feed yourself, the rat with wings and your future mate and then get back here and feed me...I'm hungry. He said with such confidence that K'leb couldn't help but laugh.

K'leb felt himself blush again and laughed to ease the tension in his shoulders. "I think they have already made the decision for us." he said as they walked into the kitchen.

((I think I'm secretly psychic. Anyone seen the new dragons?))

"Yes, it does seem so. It seems as though they are a cross between my minder from Lemos and my sister when she was three." Soria teased the dragons after Atisith added her comments of hunger, followed by two fire lizards flashing her images of the food she had given them earlier. She followed K'leb closely, latching a hand onto his shirt. Well, I am definitely out numbered when it comes to when I can eat. Achronos and Amphitere are hungry, too.

((yah I have seen them. They are waaaay awesome! just look around on peep's scroll's and you can see em smile.gif ))

K'leb felt her hand on his shirt and made sure to walk so that she would be able to follow without becoming bumped around to roughly. "I hear the J'eb has made something quite tasty according to Tilleth. The rolls must be it. We can eat dinner really quickly and then help some drudges wheel out the food yo out dragons and let all of our friends eat." he said gently grabbing her hand and then placing his hands on her shoulders as he pushed/lead her to the table where the food was being served.

((You read what there names are? ))

Soria walked as K'leb guided her. As they walked she collected Amphitere and Achronos into her hand. She eyed the food with a watering mouthas they got closer to the table. "Sounds like a plan to me. I'd be more then happy to help. And, yum, rolls. Although, I do miss Mother's cooking. She was a mean baker."

Edited by Mijikoi