LoveLost

Pern: A World of Dragonriders and Dragons

"That sounds splendid."Soria stood and walked over to her bag by the door. After fishing through it some, she attached a small pouch bag on the front of her belt and placed both hatchlings in it. She made sure to leave the pouch open once Achronos and Amphitere were comfortable. She wanted them to be able to look out of the bag if they felt the need. Soria queitly drapped a blanket from the bed around Cleo and scribled a quick note for the other candidate, explaining why Soria was gone. "You think Miss Cleo will be okay by herself?"

Leodon had had a rough day. It was the anniversary of his fathers death, and his mother, like she usually did, morned in her room. This left Leodon to care for his younger sisters, Amara and Annalise, both twins. Pterax, the queen of his two firelizards, made a deep rumbling sound as Amara fell while try to pet her. Leodon scolded her for laughing at the poor little girl, and rolled his eyes when she began to cry. He bent down and picked little Amara up to comfort her, letting her pet the now annoyed Pterax.

Just as Leodon got Amara to settle down, his mother walked out, her face red with tears. The twins rushed over to their mother, practically screaming, "Mommy, Mommy!". She reached down to hug her two daughters than looked up to Leodon, and unusual smile on her face. "Happy birthday", She whispered. Leodon had a look of sheer surprise on his face for a moment before he remembered. It WAS his birthday. He had almost forgot with all of the work he had to deal with on this day. His mother rarely remembered until a few days after, when she made up an excuse about the grief overcoming her. Today, though, was different. his mother reached into her pocket, all the while telling him how she was finally ready to stop mourning and get on with her life. After this particularly uplifting speech, she brought a good amount of gold from her pocket. She handed it to Leodon, now almost fainting with surprise. She whispered, "This is for all of the times i have forgotten, your almost a man now, and you deserve this.". Leodon didn't know what to say, he just stood there, shocked, as his mother took the twins and said in a loving voice, "Go out to Ruatha Market and get yourself something.". Leodon gave her a loving embrace before running out the door, Pterax and his bronze firelizard, Marneth, at his heels.

Leodon knew exactly where he wanted to go, he ALWAYS wanted to go there. It was a small shop called the Firelizard Shoppe. It was were Leodon had purchased his first Firelizard, Pterax, then eventually his second, Marneth. Over the years the shop owner, Ginet, an kindly older woman, had taking a liking to him and became one of his best friends. She offered a warm greeting as Leodon walked in, inquiring about his firelizards' health. He assured her that they were both healthy, but he felt it was about time they breed. Ginet chuckled and ushered him into the back of the store. "As you know", She said sagely, "Firelizards are much like dragons. They breed the same way, so be careful, there lust could overwhelm you. If you feel you are ready though, you can have this.". Ginet ducked into another room and returned moments later with some sort of contraption. Leodon walked over to examine it. It was a black colored rock, with smooth, warm sand inside of it. It was carved out to form a sort of sand bowl, but underneath, it was supported by wooden stilts. It was equipped with small wheels so it could move with ease, and a fire pit beneath it. Ginet explained how the Queens laid there eggs in the sand, and the fire beneath warmed it to the right temperature. She even went as far as to say the sand was from the Benden Wyre hatching grounds.

At this point, Leodon was dyeing to know how much it cost, and he inquired this as he pulled out his birthday present. Ginet smiled kindly and said, "Thats not quite enough, but i can make an exception, it is your birthday after all.". She gave one last warm smile then wheeled the contraption over to him.

The journey home took much longer than it had to get to the market place, partially because he had the contraption, which Leodon now nicknamed, "The hatcher", and partially because he was stopped numerous times to be told the latest gossip. Many people whispered to him of the dragons that had landed, and how they were searching for new candidates. Leodon gasped when he heard this, hoping to catch a glimpse of a real dragon. He picked up his pace afterwards, and didn't stop until he got home.

When he arrived, a strange woman with thick hide armor greeted him. Leodon greeted him in return, if only a bit uneasy. Than from behind his house, rose the great head of a dragon.

Edited by leodoug

Talom shook his head as Ezran walked away. What else could he have done with Gurty's hand? Wash it and wrap it in silk? Like he even had those supplies. No, she was just playing with him. He told himself to ignore her just as Lira landed beside him and chirped as loudly as she could. Hayzef huddled behind Talom's legs. "What's goiong on now?" Talom asked as Lira began to frantically prance about and pull at his trousers. She projected images of something he hadn't seen before, something that looked so alien and strange as it fell from the sky. Thread! He quickly scooped Hayzef into his arms before he looked into the sky. At Crom Hold everyone had hidden inside when Thread fell which was why the images were so peculiar to him. He hoped protocols were the same here. "Everybody find shelter!" he shouted.

((Sorry. I'm didn't get online at all during Spring Break. I was playing Heartgold and reading. And generally lazing about the house.))

Cleo was elsewhere and nowhere. She couldn't find a landmark to guide her back to the present. Light and sound and taste and smell all swirled around her mind's eye. She couldn't feel anything, not physical touch, not emotional distress. Abrubtly, a pair of red-tinged orange eyes screeched at her. Cleo whispered the name, "Isis . . ."

The young Candidate woke up. Blinking and shaking her head to clear her thoughts. Her golden fire-lizard was perched on her chest and glaring at her, eyes whirling swiftly red-orange. "I'm here, Isis. I'm here," Cleo murmured. Cleo looked up after reassuring her queen to find Soria holding a green and a bronze, and a strange man. She blinked in surprise. "Hello. Who're you?" She turned to Soria. "What'd I miss?" She was still rather groggy, but the memory of her . . . waking-dream . . . was fading fast.

((Did you have a good break?))

"Well, you missed me naming these two and lunch. Other then that, not much." Soria had nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard Cleo speak. She pulled Aphitere and Achronos from the pouch to show the two fire lizards hatchlings to Cleo. "The green is Amphitere and the bronze is Achronos."

"And this is Kaleb and his Etanor." She gestured to Kaleb and Etanor as she she spoke. Soria looked between Kaleb and Cleo. She spoke aloud for Cleo's benefit. "This is Miss Cleo, Kaleb and her Isis."

((Leo, I'm gonna have Heedana be there with a green rider that I am going to randomly name... oh and firelizards weren't bought they were found...but besides that and the fact that they use a currency called marks, you did amazingly well on your intro!))

Kaleb smiled at Cleo and waved a hello. "Don't forget to tell her I can't talk so she wont feel like I am ignoring her." He said quickly in Soria's mind. "I don't think Etanor can handle another mind to keep track of..oh and as soon as your hathclings become large enough, set them on your shoulders so they learn to sit there." he said and then moved Etanor to his shoulder.

((I was getting worried about you Ramoth. I'm glad your okay though smile.gif ))

Jerome dashed under the lip of a weyr as Ezran rushed to where the Weyrlings were taking the firestone to the older dragons. Several flights started to take off into the air and flew towards the thread. Ezran tossed a few bags up to a weyrling as she rushed younglings further into th bowl so that they would be protected. "Talom, Jareb, get the younglings inside until it passes over." she said firmly as she went back to getting the firestone to the older dragons.

F'nor lept upon his dragon as swiftly as he could and flew up into the sky with his brother the Weyrleader F'nor. All of their flights lept up into the air and they started attacking their formal enemy; Thread.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Heedana knew that thread was about to fall but they still had to search some of the Candidates for the bronzes, browns, or blues for that matter. She flew between with a friend of hers a green rider named Zee. Within a small amount of time they were at Ruatha Hold and landing on a large field. Tilleth, however took up most of the field and hardly left enough room for Zee's Hineth. Heedana made Tilleth scooch over for her friend with much grumbling and agitation. "Oh quit it love, your acting like a wherry." she said as she jumped off of her dragons back with an admonishing look from the older rider. "What?" she asked with an innocent glance. She laughed and walked over to Hineth. "Hineth, do you think anyone seems to have a chance?" she asked with a large amount of humor in her voice.

Zee glared at Heedana which just caused both of them to start laughing. "Hineth says that she can feel a few around and one of them is male." she took off toward a building while Heedana stayed with her dragon and let her long auburn hair down from the helmet that she wore. Zee turned a corner quickly and came face to face with the boy that Hineth had felt. "Hello there...what's your name?" she asked gently so as not to frighten him. She remembered the day she was searched and how frightened she was.

Heedana proceeded to check the straps on her dragon while her eyes focused and then refocused from the changes in light. Her crystal blue eyes with their yellow center seemed to hold the gaze of many people whom she just smiled at. She placed a hand on her hips and tapped her leg with her riding gloves while the wind blew her ringleted hair about her face. The blond tips of her hair would become caught on her dragons wingtip and she would huff then pull it out gently then get back to waiting for Zee.

Soria nodded as she listened to Kaleb and addressed Cleo. "Miss Cleo, I hope you don't mind, but if Kaleb is alright with it, I'll relay his answers to you when you want to speak to himaor he has something to say. It's not that he doesn't want to speak to you, himself. It's just he isn't able to."

Sorry, turned to Kaleb and smiled shyly at him. She spoke quietly in her mind. "Is that alright with you Kaleb?"

Kaleb smiled widely and patted Soria's shoulder. "It was exactly what I was thinking. Ask her if she wants to come with us on a tour of my home." he said and awaited Cleo's answer. he ran his fingers through the front of his hair to try and get it to tame back. But alas, it would not so he huffed and left it alone and suited himself with stroking his bronze's tail.

Talom heaved Hayzef onto his shoulder. The Fire Liazrd was frozen with fear anyway. "You silly lump," he muttered under his breath. "You're the most cowardly Fire Lizard ever, and I just had to Impress you." Lira followed Jerome as Talom began herding the younglings. Hayzef chirped in protest with the bumpy ride, but Talom ignored him. The last of the bags of the Firestone were being lifted away, and most of the younglings were inside. Finally Talom saw that only he and a few others were left outside. He didn't know how much time was left, but he waited for the others to go in before he followed. Hayzef dug his claws into Talom's shoulder and coninued to chirp more protests.

"Miss Cleo, Kaleb wants to know if you'd like to go with us. He's going to take us on a tour of the Weyr." Soria struggled to contain the urge to bounce in place. Her joy at the idea returned at the thought of traversing the Weyr. "We can think on ideas for signs while we go and Kaleb could offer his input, too."

She looked to Etanor and Isis and giggled to the fire lizards. The little creatures really were to cute for words.

Leodon smiled a bit less aukwardly, noticing his mother looking on from the window. He gave her a quick reassuring nod, then turned back to the dragonwoman and said, "I am Leodon, and if you dont mind me asking, what is your name?". Pterax grumbled slightly, telling him, These dragons make me nervous.. Marneth then replied in a joking tone, Are you developing an inferiority complex, Pterax?. Before Pterax could react, Leodon shushed them both and when on to fascinate over the beautiful Pterax was glaring at both of them, grumbling under her breath.

(Do you want me to edit my post?)

Edited by leodoug

((no I don't really mind and one thing to keep in mind is that all dragons/firelizards talk telepathically so when they speak, make sure you put it in italics so that us other RP'ers can tell smile.gif ))

Jerome flew back and awaited Ezran to dive under the clip also but she wasn't so he flew back and his eyes whirled angrily. A little girl had tripped and thread was just about to go over the bowl. She looked up at Ezran then back over her shoulder and screamed as she saw the dazzling scene of the bursts of flame coming from the dragons above searing the deadly Thread to ashes. Ezran struggled to get the girl up but she couldn't and the leading thread was starting to fall near them. The dragon riders missed a part of thread and unfortunately, it landed squarely on Ezran's shoulder and the millions of microscopic parasites started to eat away at her tender flesh. Ezran didn't scream just made sure that the girl was kept safe. She was much younger only maybe 12 years old.

Kaleb looked out of the Weyr. "How could I have been so stupid!" he thought and saw that thread was falling right over their weyr. THen the scream of the girl came to him and he watched in horror as a single missed piece of thread hit a red headed girl that was protecting the one who screamed. "By the egg of Faranth..." he swore mentally.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~

Zee smiled. This one isn't easily threatened eh Zee? asked Hineth with a slight chuckle. "Green rider Zee out on search." she said amused at his forthrightness. "I see that your not really nervous with a rider around...I mean two." she said smiling. "Your lucky...it's not everyday that a Weyrwoman, queen rider that is, comes on Search." she laughed and looked back at his mother and with a few quick strides she was over at the door to the house. "M'am? My dragon seems to have chosen your son to be a Candidate...does he have your consent?" she asked her gently but firmly and authoritatively. There had only been a few rejections from parents of Candidates and it usually didn't end very prettily.

Leodon's heartbeat raced as he began to think of the excitement he would have as a dragonrider, and he would have his very own dragon! "Nice to meet you, and what a wonder it is to see a Queen.", Leodon remarked. As the Dragonwoman Zee walked over to his mother, Leodon smile grew as he looked upon her. His mother nodded, tears welling in here eyes, "I consent, as long as he is ok with it.". Leodon smiled and walked over to give his mother a warm hug before saying, "Thank you mother, ill visit as much as i can.". At that moment his little sister ran outside and wrapped Leodon in their tiny arms, "We'll miss you little brother.", they said in unison. Leodon hugged them back and turned towards Zee. "I do have two firelizards along with a contraption for them,", Leodon stepped aside to reveal the contraption and his to firelizards. They both had an excited expression on their faces. ", are they allowed to come?".

Soria followed Kaleb and stared in horror at what was happening. She cringed and wished she could help but not knowing the layout of the Weyr and not having a dragon, she knew there was little she could do, ecept help the wounded humans and dragons when everything was done. Her mind whirled through what was happening, between the people in the Weyr Bowl and the hatching grounds. Soria inhaled sharply at the thought of the hatching ground and the poor eggs. People could run and hide but the eggs were stranded. Terror for the eggs filed her voice as she spoke."Shards. The Dragon eggs wouldn't be covered would they?"

Edited by Mijikoi

Talom turned just in time to see a Thread land on Ezran's shoulder. He swore violently to himself as he dashed out to help her and the youngling she was with. He snatched both their arms into his hands and began to help them run towards shelter. He muttered the usual "Are you okay?" nonsense as he glanced up at the falling Thread. He could see the bursts of flame as the dragons fought in the air. Lira chirped as she flapped behind Talom, keeping a close eye on her companion. Hayzef merely watched from the shelter with an annoyed look on his face. Talom had dropped him only a moment before, and Hayzef was now obsessed with the impropriety.

((And as I recall, fire-lizards didn't literally speak telepathically. At least, not with their human handlers. They could get the point across empathically most of the time. Oh, and I went to Kansas City's Crown Center. Got a pretty awesome dragon statuette, about 10 inches or so long and 4 tall. He's black with some gold armor.))

"The eggs should be in the cave. Ramoth wouldn't let them be in danger, much less Lessa," Cleo said. Maternal instincts are pretty much the same where they exist at all. She nodded to Kaleb in distracted greeting. "Soria's two and my Isis are still young yet to flame, but your Etanor has a lot of red in his eyes. Where should we go? Is there a Healer station that can use unskilled hands?"

Isis's eyes had slowed since Cleo came to, and had lost their red tinge. The little queen was doing her best to keep the even younger green and bronze calm, taking as much steadiness from Cleo as she could. Her eyes even began to gain a slight green tinge, but remained in the yellow and orange spectrum.

((Cleo, with Menolly, her firelizards actually spoke.))

Kaleb's eyes opened even wider as Soria said that. "No." he said and lept down the ledges as if he was born on them. He nearly lost his balance but was able to make it all the way down. He grabbed a flamethrower and ran to Ezran and picked up both of the girls and ran them to the ledge that covered part of the bowl. He quickly dusted the thread off of Ezran and burned the thread to dust and then ran across the bowl and to the place where the eggs were. Luckily, thread hadn't hit them yet.

Ezran stared at the ground her shoulder starting to reveal the pain that it had. Her pupils started to shrink as a headache started to ensue. She told the younglings to go to their designated room sby going around the internal structure of the Weyr. She could see people looking at the large threadscore across her shoulder. "How bad is it?" she asked with a faint smile

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zee laughed as she looked at the smaller bronze and larger queen then she glanced at the contraption. "lady Heedana will enjoy seeing that." she said then smiled at the little girls, his mother and then him as she started to walk away. "oh, you might want to grab two full outfits of clothing. That's something that Manora has made a rule." she said and laughed. "When you've found it, meet me in the field. It's really unmistakable with Heedana's massive gold taking up enough space for almost two full grown bronzes." she grumbled the last part and walked off towards the field. She was one of the few unretired older riders and she seemed to have taken on Heedana as her surrogate daughter. She kept her silver hair cropped short but long enough for it to be tied back when she needed too yet still short enough to not be a nuisance like she thought Heedana's was. Within movements, her short, thin frame was back in the field to a scene of Heedana fighting with a young man.

heedana landed a solid punch in the mans stomach making him double over. he did a spinning kick low to the ground and knocked her over but Heedana was ready. She rolled over and did a back flip into the air while lashing her leg out and hit the man solidly on his shoulder nearly dislocating. He groaned and landed a solid punch on her jaw knocking her sprawling to the ground. She laughed as she got up holding her ribs slightly. "Now, you made me mad." she growled as she lept high into the air and did a massive kick up into his jaw. He was flung backwards into the dirt with a hard and resounding thud. Heedana walked over to him and stood over the prone body. "If you EVER, touch me like that again, you wont be able to feel the hand that does it." she said and walked back over to her dragon whom she had had to restrain during the fight so that the onlookers wouldn't be hurt.

Zee watched the spectical with growing pride in her surrogate child, but she didn't let it show. She slid over to her awaiting green and asked her to tell her what had happened earlier. The tale, was that the young man whom Hineth guessed was almost in his twentieth turn, had walked up behind Heedana and gave her a firm patt on her rump. This had sent Heedana into a rage and a fight was soon begun. Hineth complained that Tilleth had roared far to loudly and that Heedana had to secure her dragon before she finished the fight. Zee smiled and waited for Heedana to recover from the fight.

That bloody no good peice of dragon dung! She screamed mentally as she dusted off of her skirt and re-arranged her shirt. She then felt around her neck and her heart skipped a few beats. "Tilleth, Hineth...don't move!" What?Why? "because I lost my necklace..the one that my dad gave me." she said and started searching around in the dirt for her neckalce. It was a medium sized green stone with two smaller ones set around it and then dark almost black red garnets set around it too. "please, please!" she silently begged.

Edited by LoveLost

Leodon nodded and thanked Zee before she ran off to the fields. He then turned around and barreled into his house, almost tripping over Pterax. This brought some rumbling from Marneth before he told both of them to stay outside and to not cause any problems. Leodon ran through the house to his room, his siblings and mother were laughing as he grabbed to outfits, one warm weather and one cold weather outfit. He stuffed them into a hide sack and ran back to his mother. He gave her one last hug, and a kiss to his sisters, then walked out the door.

When he arrived at the field with the hatcher and his firelizards in tow, he saw a beautiful Queen dragon. Pterax grunted and glared at her bigger cousin and strutted along ahead of Marneth. He grunted in response to this and merely dismissed the childish behavior. There were two riders, one was Zee, and the other was another woman he hadnt met, probably the Queen's rider. She looked a bit disheveled and Leodon tried to piece together what had happened. He decided not to ask and walked up excitedly to Zee saying, "I am ready. Is there anything else you would like me to do?".

((leo, firelizards are small forearm sized dragons...and they don't walk they fly smile.gif ))

Heedana started to walk around in the dirt a little more as Tilleth decided to look with her. "no you big oaf! Don't! you might crush it!" she shouted at her dragon who just sat down instead of moving while chuckling.

Zee rolled her eyes at Heedana and looked down at leodon while hopping off her much...much smaller dragon. "If you could help us find her necklace...It was the last gift she ever recieved and it holds some high inmportance." she said as Heedana went over to the man she knocked out and rolled him over to try and find her necklace in the grass. "you jerk...if you hadn't of slapped my arse I wouldn't have ahd to have fought you and lost my necklace!" she said loud enough for people to hear. Zee laughed lightly and then looked at Leodon. "look now because some day once you have impressed, she may be your mate in the future." she said then laughed as Hineth picked up her feet one at a time for Zee to look under.

(Sorry, i thought they would be able to walk.)

Leodon chuckled and quickly told his firelizards to look around. They both flitted off to search, Pterax still glaring at Tilleth. Leodon began to walk around and felt something under his foot. He lifted it and found a beautiful necklace resting there. Luckily it wasnt damaged. Leodon bent down and lifted it from the ground saying, "Is this it?". By now Marneth was resting on his soldier and looking down on the necklace. On the other hand, Pterax was flitting around Tilleth's head, making odd sounds and acting a bit more obnoxious than usual. Leodon told her to knock it off and she gave him a quick glare, glared back at Tilleth, then flew back down and allighted on his other shoulder.

Tilleth hissed at the small queen which was a small warning compared to what she could do. Heedana ran over to Leodon and looked down at him but only slightly. "Oh yes it is!" she said and held her hands out her heart racing.

((They can, but their character is to fly more than they walk))

(OOO ok, thnx)

Leodon saw how Heedana looked eagerly at the necklace and he gently dropped it into her hands. "I hope its not dirty or anything, i can tell you really like it.", Leodon said cautiously. He then looked around her to the man she had knocked out. He was afraid that if anything had happened to the necklace HE would be next.

Heedana hugged the necklace to her chest as she looked at Leodon's gaze and laughed. "i won't do that to you... I promise. he just put his hand somewhere where it shouldn't be and so I had to teach him a lesson." she giggled a little bit and her lively crystal blue and autumn yellow eyes took on a happy spark as she secured the necklace around her tanned neck and placed the stone above the neckline of her slightly low cut shirt. She hardly ever wore riding leathers unless she was riding Thread. "I'm sorry...where are my manners." she said and extended her hand to Leodon, well, the un injured hand. "my name is Heedana, the rider of Golden Tilleth." she said wihout any sort of haughty pride.

Zee smiled at the two and climbed aboard her dragon. "You two ride on Tilleth...Hineth is starting to become a little achy." she said and had Hineth walk over to the edge of the field so that Tilleth would be able to take off.

Leodon nodded in Zee's direction and extended his hand towards Heedana saying, "I am Leodon, rider of, well, no one yet.". Leodon laughed a bit then asked, "Were should my firelizards go, and this thing.", Leodon said while gesturing towards his hatcher.

Soria made a noise in the back of her throat when she saw Kaleb jump. She knew her distress wasn't going to help anyone and she could feel Amphitere and Achronos awake. The fear the two felt because of her, forced her to calm herself. She turned to Cleo, before closing the pouch on her waist to keep the fire lizards from falling out. She whispered calming words to the two as she turned and tore off through the doorway and down the halls. She only hoped there was something she could do to help or that she found Kaleb to see if the man was alright. As she ran, Soria ignored the others around her and the feeling at the back of her mind while she searched for Kaleb and Etanor. "Please, let the eggs and everyone be okay."

Edited by Mijikoi